Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Alright, I'm going to close voting at 3 pm and try to get the results up tonight or tomorrow. Tommy and Dan are almost tied so any last minute voters can probably determine who gets the win and who gets the compromise.

Edit: alright, no one else votes so Tommy won and Dan got the compromise.

Edit 2: gently caress it, I'll post it now.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Alright, Tommy won again. It remains to be seen if this is a coincidence or the beginning of an All-Tommy run.

Dan was our second choice so we'll go to his Literary Register magazine and see what we can do for him without the money.

You think you can pass a section of the Novelist without reading a journal? Think again!

Did y'all think I was kidding when I said we're a telepathic energy being? Nooooope.

Telepathic Light Manifestation: bending the will of men since 1948

Jeez, Tom-Tom, we get it. Also, don't you have a friend? Why are you still so worried about being alone?

Does anyone in this house just have normal dreams? Anyway, we whisper into Dan's ear and tell him how to spend the money like the ghost accountant we are.

:3: Admittedly I didn't like that Tommy won twice in a row but this made it better. You guys know what you're doing.

So, even though we didn't get to buy a full page ad, we still got in the Literary Register! And it sounds like the added pressure is kinda helping Dan, I guess?

Dan not giving her money for the co-op really upset Linda. She's been painting pretty consistently but this managed to throw her off her game. It seems she didn't need the co-op as much as she needed the support of her husband.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Not even happy that their son got to have fun for a week. Mother of the year material right here.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Not even happy that their son got to have fun for a week. Mother of the year material right here.

She going to add a flock of baby birds flying outside of the cage to her painting.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Linda just comes off as whiny in this outcome.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

The Bottle: Linda and Tommy were getting worr
So… “the Bottle.” What kind of bottle is it? Water? Ketchup? The kind with the little ship inside? That seems like something Dan would be way into. Anyway, before we rattle our brains with this mystery, let’s try to analyze the metaphor in Linda’s newly finished painting.

Even though Linda is supposed to have stopped painting, she’s made progress. This is when a fun mechanic (the painting gradually getting painted) works against and even contradicts the narrative.

Anyway, it’s a picture of a bird staying in its cage even though it could escape. Hmmmm… I wonder if this has any deeper meaning? But I don’t know. This is pretty high-level Maya Angalou poo poo.

Also, Tommy hung his kite up over his bed, next to his pictures of his friend and Dan. Like a little shrine to a happy childhood. This room almost looks too happy for Tommy, the macabre baby.

DAN

So Dan made a shopping list that includes some curious items, like aspirin and a case of beer. Although I will say the most curious item on the stopping list is “ogburn.” Am I reading that right? Maybe he meant he wanted to pick up a book by Charlton Ogburn… at the grocery store.

It's hard to tell from this angle but it reads WHISKEY. It looks more like a medicine bottle that a whiskey bottle to me, but whatever.

So, according to Dan, he's been drinking responsibly and he's made great progress in his book. I'm sure this is an unbiased opinion on the subject.

Oh, there is another readable item in this room, the Literary Registry, but it hasn't been updated and isn't required for progress so there's no point.

Maybe Dan isn't doing so good after all. He seems really stressed out and dependent on alcohol. He's still pretentiously quoting Hemmingway so we know he's not too far gone. It's tragic but it's not like we did anything to make him more stressed oh wait

"Write drunk; edit sober" is my method of LPing, by the way.

Okay, I've been trying to interject levity but what the hell happened?

OOOF!-Dan

Oh, he just stumbled over his couch. You can’t hear it but he made the goofiest sound. I think they were trying to be serious with this scene but it’s hilarious.

Our choice to compromise with Dan and get him in the Literary Registry really stressed him out, exactly like he wanted. And it seems like he doesn't know how to deal with stress as good as he thought.

And Dan's solution to all this? Just keep on truckin'. He hasn't caused any damage to anything but his liver and it is helping him write so...

LINDA

I took this picture to show off two three things. The note, the little bucket they got for Tommy, and the photos. You’ve probably noticed them in the house but you can see that one of them is a family portrait. Why did they bring family portraits to a rental? Well, we’re a light manifestation so it’s not our place to question realism.

So Linda, in lieu of painting, has been going around town and seeing movies and reading. I mean, that’s a pretty productive way to spend time.

Dayum, calling Dan out on his bullshit. It seems like Linda is feeling very neglected now that Dan is spending all his time drunk or writing. Additionally, it appears that Dan was playing down how often and how much he drinks around the house. Or maybe it's Linda who is exaggerating.

Also, if you were playing this like a normal person, and not organizing it based on characters, you’d find this right after reading the note where Dan quotes Hemingway.

Linda's little note nook is always a great place to search.

It seems like her concern isn't just a selfish one about being neglected. She is deeply worried about his health and is trying to not be condescending about it.

Linda resumes her ritual of staring out the window.

Why don’t you stop at two?-Linda
I’m fine.-Dan

He isn’t slurring his speech here so he could have actually been fine but Linda is still concerned.

This is also the screencap that made me realize that Dan's hair and mustache are kinda Ringo Starr-esque. That just makes me happy.

Sometimes when I look at the moon I imagine that Linda is looking up at that same moon.

Linda has barely picked up a paintbrush since our last vote. All those chores on the door were her futilely looking for inspiration. But it seems like she's going to give it another go.

Linda's option is completely selfless this time around. She really just wants to get Dan moving and away from drunkenly banging on the keyboard all day.

TOMMY

As always, Tommy has been drawing the most heart wrenching things.

Linda isn't the only one feeling neglected; Dan's drinking is making a huge impact on Tommy.

Aww, in-between shots Dan got Tommy a little car! I had one just like it as a kid! :3:

Although I'm not too sure about that ETA. Three hours seems a bit much to just attach the wheels and steering.

Pfft, okay, this is crossing the line into Lifetime Original movie territory, Tommy.

But he promised…-Tommy
If he doesn’t do it, I’ll help you honey.-Linda

So it looks like Dan's been too shwasted to help Tommy make that little Ikea car. If Dan doesn't help Tommy, the car will still get made, but then his dad would be a liar. :(

Huh, so even with the drinking problem, all the good dadding we forced Dan to do has started to pay off.

But Tommy still reallly wants Dan to put that car together!

So what's it going to be? Are we going to force Dan to take a break to bond with his kid? Or are we going to insist that he get out and active instead of drinking all day? Or will we just let this continue, because his book deadline is nearing? The choice is yours, goons!

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 26, 2014

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Tommy and Linda

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Dan has discovered the Kevin Smith method of creativity (daddy juice variant).

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
Dan and Linda

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Dan and Linda

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Dan and Tommy

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Linda and Tommy.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Dan and Linda

Linda obviously doesn't know the artists version of writing drunk. Sketch drunk, paint sober. A bit of mind juice can give you the most original ideas! :downs:

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 26, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

So yeah, when you have to make this many excuses to yourself about how you don't have a drinking problem guess what you have a drinking problem!

Linda (primary), Tommy (secondary)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The parallels between this game and The Shining seem obvious to me, so where is the option to kill the whole family so they can keep you ghost-company?

Failing that, I guess go gently caress with the mom and kid and leave dad to his drinking. Maybe he'll go axe-crazy.

Dan and Linda

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 26, 2014

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Linda (primary), Tommy(compromise)

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

The parallels between this game and The Shining seem obvious to me, so where is the option to kill the whole family so they can keep you ghost-company?

Failing that, I guess go gently caress with the mom and kid and leave dad to his drinking. Maybe he'll go axe-crazy.

Linda and Tommy

If you want Dan to continue drinking, you should vote for him. The other options distract him and stop him from drinking.

Thesaya posted:

A bit of mind juice can give you the most original ideas! :downs:

Daddy juice. :colbert:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dan (primary) and Tommy (compromise)

Maybe Linda could put Tommy's car together like she said she would instead of driving all over town for "inspiration" and ignoring her kid.

If the options are "Drink and work on novel that pays the bills" and "Deal with Linda" I'll take productively hammered every single time.

Les Peche
Jan 29, 2008

Juicy
Linda (primary), Tommy (secondary)

I think its time we gave Linda a break, It's not fun to live with somebody who is drinking too much.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Dan and Linda. I want to see how the game lets us succeed at Dan continuing to drink every night and drinking less at the same time.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ThatPazuzu posted:

Daddy juice. :colbert:

I am neither a daddy nor a mommy. Or a man. So, I will just use the Swedish word. Vuxensaft.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

Dan and Linda sound like a fun mix. Alcoholism might work out for the best as long as it is regulated alcoholism. The game designer probably carefully thought out all the possibilities with the dangers and benefits of daddy juice instead of relying on another easy plot point for the chapter. Also this trend better continue with Dan being addicted to gambling in the next chapter.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

ThatPazuzu posted:

If you want Dan to continue drinking, you should vote for him. The other options distract him and stop him from drinking.

Oh, whoops. Fixed my vote.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Tommy and Dan.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Linda & Dan

I feel for the kid, but Linda's going to paint someone in a noose if she doesn't get her way pretty soon.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Ripley posted:

Linda and Tommy.
Second.

Dan going full Hemingway is probably not a good idea.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Dan going full Hemingway is probably not a good idea.

Sure, if you don't want the cat-collector ending.

Edit: Voting is closed. I'll update soon. Linda won and Dan got the compromise by a single vote.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 27, 2014

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Everyone wanted Dan to get fit and drink less so we're going with the Linda option.

But we didn't want Dan to get too healthy, so we made him keep up his drinking as well. Also, I just realized Ogburn is the brand of whiskey he's been drinking.

Never not reading journals.

So this house was transformed into a rental property as a direct result of our mind-controlling powers. ...We're kinda malevolent, aren't we?

There's a second ghost journal next to a sleeping Linda.

It turns out there was a bride with cold feet staying here at some time. I wonder if a telepathic light manifestation effected her decision at all.

Tommy has nightmares about the one time Dan had a bad hair day.

Meanwhile, his parents dream about solutions to Dan's alcohol problem. Like I said, Linda won and we got a Dan compromise.

So we helped get Dan in shape and while it didn't help his writing much, he's obviously feeling better about himself and Linda.

So Dan limited his drinking and started talking honestly about it with his wife. Not a bad compromise at all.

You can't see it in my screenshots but the camera automatically pans during these segments. It started showing his disused car in the yard and then panned to Tommy playing so I couldn't get both in one shot. You can kinda see the top of the steering wheel on the center of the chair.

Anyway, that's the end of another results session... or is it?

We're now 33% done with the game and we get progress updates each month.

So Tommy and Linda are doing fine under our guidance but Dan's book may never even be published.

It's not too late. We can still give Tommy a lovely childhood and write Dan a bestseller.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

The Show: Linda got a letter in th

So welcome to the beginning of month two. We are now a third done with the game but there’s still a lot of time to change the ultimate outcome. Now on with The Show.

The month is over and Linda is done with her painting. So she just leans it against the wall next to a blank canvas while she works on her newest creation...

Moldy Public Bathroom Wall. It's unique subject matter, at least.

Here we see Tommy’s disused toy car.

And here’s Dan’s thoroughly used running shoes. Speaking of Dan...

DAN

So, as we saw last time, Dan’s relationship with his agent is on thin ice right now. Dan seems to be ducking his calls, too. Dan is really good at dealing with responsibility, I’ve seen.

So it seems like Dan was trying to help his wife get an agent too, but it backfired. He also mentioned basically having a panic attack so Dan is just swimming in poo poo this chapter.

Jesus Christ. Does Dan even really want to be a novelist? He seems to absolutely hate everything involved in it. Is it even worth it to help him carry on down this career path at this point?

There’s Dan’s workstation with his Ogburn Whiskey and trashcan full of crumbled up papers. Honestly, if he just used a laptop or something he’d save a lot of trees and time, but I’m not going to question his process. I don’t want passive aggressive notes written about me.

So Dan even though is freaking out over his schedule, he still planned a family day. It only took a month of ghostly mind control to make him act like a decent dad.

... gotta be harder, stronger, better ...

Hey, what’s wrong?-Linda
*sigh*-Dan

This game wants to make it crystal clear to you how stressed Dan is. It kind of strives to always make you see who you’re hurting with your decisions.

Also, I attempted that pose Dan’s doing and it's super uncomfortable.

Oh, this is a picture from Dan's concept album. How did this get in here?

So, thanks to compromising with him last time, it seems like Dan’s figured out how to drink responsibly while keeping up with his workload. That, uh, kind of contradicts the rest of the notes in the chapter, though.

So the ultimate decision this time is how Dan spends his time this weekend. He’s pretty far behind on his book so concentrating on that seems reasonable, but let’s hear the rest of the options first.

LINDA

Just like in previous chapters, Linda’s trying to decide if she wants to go back to painting full time. Well, it would help support her family if Dan never finishes his book.

Hell, Linda does not waste any time pussyfooting around. She’s in a gallery and she’s invented a really flowery way to say she drew a bird in a cage. What a multitasker!

I’m not sure why they’re asking the visiting artist to do their marketing for them. Still, this isn’t really an option. She’s just being told to do ads by the gallery she's visiting.

If Linda has a gallery coming up and is about ready to finish a piece, does that mean she’s been painting off screen? I wonder how many watercolors of her failing marriage she’s made.

So she needs to talk about it? Has she organized a gallery showing without telling Dan? Honestly, putting it together so quickly and keeping it a secret is kind of impressive.

What is it, Mommy?-Tommy
I don’t know yet.-Linda

Oh, thank god I’m not the only one.

Because she won the last vote, Dan got in shape and their marriage improved. She really had the most selfless choice last chapter.

And now that selflessness is gone. She wants to get Dan to help her with the marketing of her gallery. Which neither of them should really have to do, but let’s not question that.

TOMMY

Tommy has been drawing his fantasies again. This time he dreams of going the beach with Dan. Which should be super easy because the beach is visible from their kitchen window.

Also Tommy kinda doesn’t want to hang out with his mom at all, I’ve noticed.

Man, Tommy draws a lot of his dreams. When I was his age, I was inventing monsters that looked suspiciously like Digimon.

Ahh, and here’s the conflict. Dan promised to take Tommy to some very vague adventure. And of course Tommy wants to redeem it the same weekend that Dan is going to chain himself to his typewriter and Linda is having an art show. What a coinkydink.

It’s good to see that he’s still friends with Davey, even though he stopped drawing fan art of him.

Aww, even though he lost last time, he still loves Dan and his giant cantaloupe hands.

Right down there…-Dan
Cool! Can we go?-Tommy

Oh, so it seems like Dan actually kind of promised to do this with him, or at least suggested it. Goddamn it, Dan.

So that’s Tommy’s solution. We have our three choices now: Dan’s, locking himself alone with his type writer; Linda’s, having Dan help with marketing her gallery; and Tommy’s, going to the beach with Dan. You know, they could probably work together and do Linda’s and Tommy’s options before the end of the day but communication is a huge issue in this family.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Help Dan because I'm sick of his whining.
Help Linda because we should all support the arts.
Don't help Tommy because I want that little poo poo to die of neglect.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Dan and Tommy. If Linda gets screwed over because she can't do the advertising stuff on her own, I can't really feel sorry for her.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
dan and tommy

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dan because I think he's reaching a breaking point.

Linda because this will help all three out.

Tommy will have to wait until the next chapter.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

Tommy because the kid deserves to have fun, and it may give Dan some ideas. Linda because her accomplishments need equal attention, and I assume filling out a couple forms shouldn't take too long. Channing Dan to his typewriter sounds like awful advice since he hates everything he's been writing.

Maybe halfway through the game, Dan will get the option to let Dan write a completely different novel.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Dan and Tommy. With everyone doing poo poo behind each others backs someone's got to lose. I'm talking about Linda of course. :colbert:

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Dan and umm..er... umm.. Dan?

Oh fine. I guess Linda.

Stupid question, and this might be spoilers, but is there any time you get a bad result from picking some one fully? Like if we picked Dan to drink all out, would that be a bad result for Dan? To clarify, I assume the things that lost would have bad endings, but would the drinking itself?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Vexrm posted:

Stupid question, and this might be spoilers, but is there any time you get a bad result from picking some one fully? Like if we picked Dan to drink all out, would that be a bad result for Dan? To clarify, I assume the things that lost would have bad endings, but would the drinking itself?

Mechanically? No. Every time someone wins they get, essentially, a point towards their ideal solution (this isn't a zero sum game though). Like, if we didn't select a compromise and just let Dan drink he'd get more progress on his book and it'd be marked as a positive result as far as the game is concerned.

Then again, the player/audience might not interpret it as a good thing even though the game does.

Good question, though. :) This is my first LP so if I'm overlooking explaining something or anything, please tell me so I can get better.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

ThatPazuzu posted:

Mechanically? No. Every time someone wins they get, essentially, a point towards their ideal solution (this isn't a zero sum game though). Like, if we didn't select a compromise and just let Dan drink he'd get more progress on his book and it'd be marked as a positive result as far as the game is concerned.

Then again, the player/audience might not interpret it as a good thing even though the game does.

Good question, though. :) This is my first LP so if I'm overlooking explaining something or anything, please tell me so I can get better.

Man, I'm happy you understood what I meant. Thanks. I'm interested in the internal mechanics, what little there are, but I'm enjoying just sitting back and watching what happens.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Tommy because Dan and Linda need to learn that life ends at having children.

Dan because you know what I don't really give a poo poo about Linda's uninspired paintings with the high school symbolism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Dan and Tommy. Linda might be artsy, but she won't be happy anyway if the family is penniless and falling apart.

• Locked thread