Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Dan and Tommy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
Dan and Linda. The sooner they learn they don't need Tommy to be happy, the sooner they'll drown him in a bathtub. And if I learned anything in art history, it's that murder and death are great for getting the old creative juices flowing!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Dan and Linda because I hate children.

Sally Forth
Oct 16, 2012
Dan and Tommy. I dunno why Linda needs Dan to fill those forms out for her.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dan and Tommy. Linda completed a painting and got it in a gallery on her own, she can do her own advertising (and bitch about it next turn, probably)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Dan and Linda

Kids are resilient, they bounce back from anything.

Also, what the gently caress kind of do nothings are these adults? There are seven days in a week, the kid's on summer vacation, and neither parent has a 9 to 5 job. Take an hour out of one of your days, the both of you, and walk your kid down to the beach. Jesus.

Even if you painted/wrote 8 hours a day, and slept 8 hours, there's still 8 hours for you to drink yourself blind, stare impassively at each other and jog around the cabin separately.

These people have simply atrocious time management skills.

All that being said, this is a game that I think would be interesting to do a really hosed up LP of. For every choice, you roll a die. 1 or 4 you pick Dan, 2 or 5, you pick Linda, 3 or 6 Tommy. Probably get some real schizo results that way.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

oldskool posted:

Linda completed a painting and got it in a gallery on her own, she can do her own advertising (and bitch about it next turn, probably)

To be fair, everyone whines when they don't get their way. The game is really realistic in that way.

CzarChasm posted:

These people have simply atrocious time management skills.

They really do. It's kind of hard to show off in screenshots but they spend the day wandering the house, gazing out the window, watching tv for minutes at a time and saying pleasantries whenever they pass each other.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 2, 2014

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Linda and Dan

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Dan and Tommy

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I was always interested in this game but won't ever get around to playing it so thanks for this LP! It's great so far.

Linda (primary) and Dan (compromise). Sorry, kiddo. :(

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Alright, the voting is pretty close with Linda having 9 points and Tommy having 10. Because there's still time for an the result to change, I'm going to wait until 8 pm edt (4 hours from now) to close voting. And I should be able to give you the results either tonight or tomorrow.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Dan and Linda. Sometimes, work needs to take priority over play. Sorry Tommy.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I will crush Tommy under my boot.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
Dan and Tommy, because making your husband fill out the forms you're supposed to handle is lame. Stop being lame, Linda.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Alright. I'm calling it. Looks like it's going to be Dan winning with a Tommy compromise. I'm so sorry, Ironicus.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Last time Dan won in a landslide because he found the secret soft spot to every goon's heart: very sad dads. So now Dan is going to spend all day Saturday writing (and possibly boozing).

Tommy narrowly one by one vote, but he did win so it looks like he's getting his beach day! Though, honestly, you can see the beach from the living room, why isn't every day beach day?

If you remembered last time, we started finding ghostly journals from a woman who came to the house with her fiance.

She wrote down everything she likes about Roger, including his good looks and his fortune. Hell, if she's as good looking as she says, I'd want to be engaged to him too.

Oh, so she wasn't just showering him with praise, she's making a pro's and con's list. That's a kind of really weird thing to do about your fiance. I think them breaking up would benefit Roger too at this point

Additionally, for some reason she's thinking clearly here, in the house haunted by a telepathic energy manifestation. I wonder why. :iiam:

gently caress. Looks like Tommy is voting for Linda, meaning we have a tie again.

Anyone else think it's a little weird that they sleep in the same position every night?

So Dan did what he said and made significant progress on his novel. Good for him. He needed a win.

So Tommy just found the conch? But he drew a picture of himself finding it, so that's impossible unless... he has the gift of prophecy. I'll have to look into that.

Once again, to be fair to Linda, they probably shouldn't have asked the visiting artist to do all the marketing herself in a weekend.

So, we made our choices, goons. What do you think?

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 3, 2014

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I think Tommy must be burned on a pyre.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
I'm just trying to be a good parent!

Although honestly, all of linda's problems have been kind of stupid

E: besides the drinking one

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seriously shoulda gone with Linda instead of Tommy, but it's fine. We needed Dan to do his novel really, really badly.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

General Ironicus posted:

I think Tommy must be burned on a pyre.

No, no. We need to focus on him as strongly as possible. Dan and Linda need to understand that having a child is its own punishment.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I seriously like Linda less and less. They went to the cabin so Dan could write, and to spend time together. Instead, she chooses to pick this time to pick up her painting career. I mean, painting more is fine, she's inspired, great. But having shows and such when you are there to be with your family and wanting your husband to help you with it when he is struggling with the writing which is half the reason they are there? seriously, just paint, be with your family and wait until the book is finished before going back to your own career!
Especially since Dan won't be distracted and thus able to support you in return.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Linda's problems seems so artificial to me, which is part of the reason I voted for it. Most of the family's problems presented have been serious non-problems with Dan's writer's block and Tommy's childhood boredoms. Most of theses problems are still organic to how a person represented by a character would act. Tommy's just a kid and doesn't fully understand the grander situations surrounding the family. Dan is having a hard time with writing and has arrived at this haunted house for the purpose of writing. Tommy grows bored, and Dan tries to write. Linda's decisions, especially this one, have been the most game-narrative focused. They focus less on exploring a character and, instead, provide the player conflict, whether it is organic or not. She pursues her career while on vacation because it makes the player choose between two artistic based, financial decisions. When, in reality, she could just take a vacation from her art job, not worry about the money, and paint for the sake of painting. Failure with the art gallery doesn't hinder Linda's path as an artist. After the book is written, if it is written, she will still have a stockpile of paintings, and she can apply the experience from this failure to improve future art shows.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I understand where you're coming because, yeah, if you look at this objectively Linda is being annoying about having to do her art right now. But try to think of Linda's point of view. She hasn't worked in years in order to take care of Tommy, who is growing more and more independent, and she has a rocky relationship with Dan. So now she's going back to something she loves but it just isn't coming together for her. That must be incredibly frustrating.

So, objectively, yeah, she needs to just chill. But people aren't really objective about their own lives so I can't blame her too much.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Dan is providing for his family, Linda is doing Linda, and Tommy is a garbage worm-beast.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.

ThatPazuzu posted:

I understand where you're coming because, yeah, if you look at this objectively Linda is being annoying about having to do her art right now. But try to think of Linda's point of view. She hasn't worked in years in order to take care of Tommy, who is growing more and more independent, and she has a rocky relationship with Dan. So now she's going back to something she loves but it just isn't coming together for her. That must be incredibly frustrating.

So, objectively, yeah, she needs to just chill. But people aren't really objective about their own lives so I can't blame her too much.

I think the big problem is the reasons for coming, as stated by Linda, were to work on the relationship with Dan and for Dan to write his book. She's taken those stated reasons, tossed them out the window, and is going "but what about my aaaaaaaaaaart?!"

Having said that, I think every one needed to understand Dan needed to work. Yes, it would be nice if he could spend family time, but realistically sometimes you just have to get stuff done.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Full House: A friend of Dan’s was coming

Welcome back, this time not much has changed between updates besides Linda’s painting and, obviously, new notes. Tommy also took his bucket to his room, but who cares.

I see… two trees? Two people with their backs to the viewer? A progression of the really bad mold-looking thing from last week? I don’t know. This one is kinda abstract. Hopefully intentionally.

DAN

Dan got a message from his crazy friend, T. You know, T, the guy who writes “lemme” in handwritten letters, lives in LA, jams on book and is all about surprises. I bet he wears sunglasses inside, too.

Seriously, I love this guy. He’s the Jack to Dan’s Mike Dawson.

So T or “Tynan” was actually responsible for making Dan’s last novel so good. Gosh, is there anything Tynan can’t do? No wonder Dan’s so giddy that his buddy is going to come to town, presumably in a black Lamborghini with sweet flame decals and a in-you-face bumper sticker.

And now Dan’s planning out where he wants to take Tynan when he’s in town. This is hella cute. Out of everything in the game, he is the thing he is most psyched for.

I love the way he phrased this. It’s like the sequel hook in a horror movie about a hungry demon, but in actuality he’s an agent who doesn’t want his client to fail.

What about Tommy-Linda
He can sleep with us!-Dan

Dan insists that Tynan sleep in his child’s bed, right underneath Tommy’s Dan shrine.

So it seems like Linda’s kind of annoyed with Dan for not helping her with her art marketing form-things. To be fair, I don’t think anyone is exactly sure what they were and why she needed him to help.

Dan, wearing the same fabric the couch is made out of, continues to plan his man-date with Tynan. Now, I’m not going to alter the results or anything, but I will be VERY disappointed if you guys don’t vote to let Tynan hang out in the haunted villa. It’s Tynan!

LINDA

It seems like Linda has told her mom about her marital problems. But, honestly, who doesn’t know? She just leaves notes about it literally everywhere.

“Yeah, Dad, why are you so worried about your daughter’s marriage, weirdo?”-Possible Future Linda

This better not interfere with Tynan’s trip, I swear to god. I heard that Tynan once jumped over a flaming orphanage on his motorbike.

It seems like the hotel isn’t super feasible if it’s 45 minutes away. I mean, it’s doable but not ideal.

I thought Tommy was sleeping with us?-Dan
I’m checking to see if this is a fold out.-Linda

So it looks like Dan is trying to see a way to compromise and have someone sleep on the couch. Presumably, she plans on having her parents sleep on the couch, because we all know Tynan only sleeps in beds and hammocks.

Because her gallery showing didn’t go so great, Linda is rethinking her career and marriage. As you do.

So Linda wants to wear a hideous sweater and be a good daughter while her parents are over this weekend. But who will be staying with them? That’s for ya’ll to decide. (Tynan, right?)

TOMMY

Davey’s triumphant return! I'm not entirely sure who's who but I'm psyched!

I think most kids would draw their favorite movie/tv show and not a picture of themselves watching it, but Tommy is a bit of a weirdo.

Oh calamity, everything is happening this weekend. Just like last weekend.

One day, I hope to marry a woman who I only communicate to through a series of scattered notes.

I don't know, jets have a clear advantage over cars, Tommy. You are going to get outshined.

Can Davey sleep over?-Tommy
Let me call his mom.-Linda

Geeze, Linda, why didn't you expect your husband's rad amigo to need a place to crash and your mom to suddenly visit?

Tommy status: Still riding the Dan train

Okay, time to vote of who gets to stay over this weekend! I'm trusting you'll make the right choice.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
Dan and Linda. Sorry Tommy, both of these adult visits seem more important.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Dan and Linda

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Dan and Linda
Adult schedules are less flexible than kid schedules; if we didn't exist in games, Davey could stay over another weekend, while everyone else...Could not.
Also, anyway, this might actually help Linda's intended goal, and is not random and unreasonable, so that makes me feel like she's earned at least a compromise point.

Dan gets the lead because, well...Of all his ideas ever, this might be the only one that I'd think would help me with a story I'm having trouble with (other than sitting yourself down and doing it, like last time): talking it out with a friend alone can boost your enthusiasm, much less a friend who can apparently fix everything.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Dan and Linda. Same reasoning as ^^^^^.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

D3m3 posted:

Dan and Linda
Adult schedules are less flexible than kid schedules; if we didn't exist in games, Davey could stay over another weekend, while everyone else...Could not.
Also, anyway, this might actually help Linda's intended goal, and is not random and unreasonable, so that makes me feel like she's earned at least a compromise point.

Dan gets the lead because, well...Of all his ideas ever, this might be the only one that I'd think would help me with a story I'm having trouble with (other than sitting yourself down and doing it, like last time): talking it out with a friend alone can boost your enthusiasm, much less a friend who can apparently fix everything.

Yeah this is basically my thought train too.
Do Dan's idea, compromise with Linda, sorry Tommy

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dan and Tommy. Screw Linda's parents, everybody else made a plan to come out at least somewhat in advance. They sent a letter saying "We're not coming" and then called with like a day's notice that they plan on showing up and "by god maybe Dan will love me more if he sees how miserable my parents are" is a horrible idea.

If they wanted to stay they should've just said so, not deliberately said they weren't coming and then (probably deliberately) hauled rear end so they'd make good time and oop what a shock we have time to show up this weekend is that OK?

no i'm not bitter about my living situation with regards to the close proximity my in-laws' house is to mine why do you ask :colbert:

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009
Dan, then Linda. I'm just glad that Dan has friends, especially novelist friends that he can work out his plot with; that's a much better idea than using alcoholism as a muse. Linda should be able to touch base with her parents and maybe that will help her figure out what she wants with her potential art career (which seems to be doing better than Dan's writing, given that she apparently made enough paintings for an exhibit) and her marriage. Tommy's friend can probably come over anytime for a sleepover, right?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Pine Bamboo Plum posted:

Dan, then Linda. I'm just glad that Dan has friends, especially novelist friends that he can work out his plot with; that's a much better idea than using alcoholism as a muse. Linda should be able to touch base with her parents and maybe that will help her figure out what she wants with her potential art career (which seems to be doing better than Dan's writing, given that she apparently made enough paintings for an exhibit) and her marriage. Tommy's friend can probably come over anytime for a sleepover, right?

Pretty much this. Besides, Tommy will be fine. He met a new friend out in the woods outside the house.

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014
Dan and Tommy
If Linda's parents made such good time, I'm sure they can handle driving the 45 minutes from the hotel to visit.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
Dan and Tommy. Linda deserves a compromise, but I can't imagine the two groups of adults mixing terribly well. Davey and Tommy can build forts together while Dan and Tynan do the writing thing.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Dan and Linda. Tommy can have a sleepover next weekend.

Les Peche
Jan 29, 2008

Juicy
Dan and Linda.

I want more sad pictures from Tommy.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Ahahaha, this is great!

But this isn't a Slenderman game. There's no teleporting supernatural being or notes to collect or... oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

The Tynan option, the only real option, won so we need to click some fishing poles.

Linda came in second place. Huh. I supposed to find an ugly sweater but the only one they have is this one. That's a pretty huge development oversight.

So it sounds like this woman had a difficult decision to make and, like all difficult decisions, it's best resolved by a weird phantom.

It turns out that being engaged to someone you don't really like all that much isn't a really successful way to be.

It doesn't seem like the decision ghost has actually interfered with her decisions yet. I'm sure that'll change next chapter, tough.

Ahahaha, nope. You're dreams are going to be crushed, little man.

Dan dreams of hanging out with the impeccable Tynan just like he used to while Linda worries about sleeping arraignments or some poo poo. Who cares? If it ain't Tynan, I don't want to hear about it.

The Tynan visit was everything we could have hoped for and more. As a House Ghost we can't leave to follow Tynan on his roadtrip, but I wish we could. With Tynan our only choices would be deciding which leather jacket to wear every morning.

Personally, I think a visit with my parents where I don't have to talk to them about their relationship is a huge success.

Tommy is a huge embarrassment to his parents. Huh, for some reason I suddenly sympathize with him a whole lot more.

• Locked thread