Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Dan and Linda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Dan and Tommy because sweet book money and space are more important than hiking or whatever random task Linda is asking for this time.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Dan and Tommy

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I just invested in a free tally app for my phone. Previously I have been counting on my fingers like a savage.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Dan and Tommy

Having a child is still its own punishment and a funpark is the perfect way to hammer that home.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Linda and Dan

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Dan because he needs to finish the book and Tommy because space is awesome, and he didn't get to have his sleepover. :smith:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Dan and Linda

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Dan and Linda

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Linda and Dan

Sorry Tommy but your parents needs are more importants.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Dan won so now we're going to go with his choice: having a beach bonfire. SPRINGBREAK!

Linda came in second so she's getting the pleasure of compromising her plan to go camping with the family.

This time the ghost book decided to chill with Lonnie. The ghost book is pretty old, maybe he's hoping Lonnie can teach him the hottest new letters or something

The Novelist has opted to stay away from really heavy subject matter until now. Now we have an elderly man contemplating suicide because he doesn't think he has anything to live for. What's more disturbing is that the idea was somehow transplanted into his head, the exact thing the player character can do. Our omnipresent light manifestation is a lot less whimsical now.

Jesus christ, looks like we've found another dilemma for our spectral character to solve. Let's see what happened next time and find out if the player character of this game murdered an old man.

Tommy, we just saw some pretty heavy poo poo and I don't care about how tall you are right now. You're not even going.

And these two are thinking about your trips. Don't they even care that there's an elderly man in distress sixty some years in the past?

Tommy, you look pretty sad for someone who explicitly wanted to go to the beach a few chapters ago.

"Let's do this some other time" sounds more like a rejection than a compromise to me.

Charlie didn't get to go to his chocolate factory and is really bummed about it.

So, are you happy with how things turned out? The opportunities to sway the ending are diminishing so now is the time to stick your guns.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
You monsters! How could you NOT take advantage of such a great deal? Tommy will never have the chance to go to Booster Bay free again EVER... unless there is another promotion sometime in the future.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
You know what, I changed my mind, I'm with Ironicus now. gently caress Tommy.

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009
It doesn't feel like we're going to get a good ending. :(

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Pine Bamboo Plum posted:

It doesn't feel like we're going to get a good ending. :(

This actually really interests me. Whatever ending we get, I'll have never gotten it before.

Lareine posted:

You monsters! How could you NOT take advantage of such a great deal? Tommy will never have the chance to go to Booster Bay free again EVER... unless there is another promotion sometime in the future.

Not to mention that, like all good special promotions, there was an obvious catch. Tommy gets in free but Dan and Linda would have had to pay full price. This family isn't exactly affluent either.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 9, 2014

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

The Funeral: That night, Linda got a phone call

After reading the suicide note of an old man, the game decides to add some levity by making this chapter all about death. Before we find out who died, let’s see how things have changed between chapters.

The logs that have been by the door for the entire game are now gone after Dan’s bonfire. The wood-holder-thing actually looks kinda scorched in the middle, too. Did… did Dan try to just set them on fire right here?

Also, Tommy moved his little bucket to the backdoor. But I just want to show you that they left through this door last time, which means they walked right off a steep cliff. Maybe this chapter is about all of their funerals.

Dan’s workspace has significantly improved. He has a pile of papers that aren’t in the trashcan now so it looks like he’s getting closer to finishing his book. And all thanks to that magic little bottle of Ogburn whiskey.

It’s no longer considered a Linda note, thank god, but they do have an updated dinner list. I gotta say, this looks hella yummy. Anyway, this note is pretty irrelevant so let’s see how Linda’s newest painting is turning out.

Is this… a hand underwater reaching for the surface? That’s honestly all I can see here. Jeez, Linda, I get that you feel suffocated and hopeless but take it down a notch.

DAN

Racin’ Roger is still here from simpler, better times.

Paul’s making it pretty clear that this is a huge opportunity for Dan. If he goes, it will help with sales and might get a nice advance on his next book. If he doesn’t he’s going to have a Pissed Off Paul to deal with and no one wants that.

For some reason Dan’s trying really hard to change the date of the bookreading as soon as possible. Although, if it’s so important, he probably shouldn't need a note to remind him what to talk about.

Dan still has his Literary Registry from May.

He’s supposed to stroke you, you say? :heysexy:

Anyway, this is why Dan was desperate to change his schedule: His book reading is the same day as Linda’s grandma’s funeral. He can go to Grandma Jo’s funeral with Linda and support her while sacrificing his career or he can impress people while abandoning Linda.

Basically, we’re getting to decide career vs family here, which is the basic premise of the entire game

Dan’s struggling with this dilemma himself. Just like you are in your heart, thread.

I’m so sorry, tell me what I can do.-Dan
Just be there for me.-Linda

Dan’s going to be in deep poo poo with Linda if he doesn’t go to Jo’s funeral.

Meanwhile, with all this going on, Past Dan’s thinking about someone he had a crush on in 7th grade. Welp.

So that’s our option, help Dan perfect and promote his book or have him support his wife in her time of need. I can’t wait to see how the thread goes on this one.

LINDA

Man, I can’t write anything snarky about a beloved grandma dying! This is so unfair!

Linda wrote a letter to her late grandmother telling her how much she loves her. Last chapter we just had to read her weekly dinner schedule and her reflections on hiking.

This chapter is a real downer. There’s voice acting on most notes and on this one you can hear her cry as she tries to power through it.

Linda, I couldn’t even figure out what to say to half of your notes this chapter. You shouldn’t be asking me

And by "asking me" I mean thinking things in my domain.

Linda cries.

This chapter is, like, really sad and the game wants to make sure that you don't forget it.

Linda seems to have taken Dan’s rejection pretty well. I mean, even though it was a “compromise”, it’s the exact thing I imagine he’d say if he didn’t want to do it. But Linda can pick up on his intentions, I guess. Maybe she’s a telepathic light manifestation too.

So if Dan wants to go to the funeral, he’ll have to buy a ticket and fly out instead of going to the bookreading. Decisions! But there's another path no one seems to be thinking about : Tommy's.

TOMMY

And here’s the third option. Instead of going to the funeral or booksigning, they take Tommy to the Not Blue Angels. I guess the idea is to preserve his innocence by distracting him from Linda's funeral and Dan's corporate shilling.

Tommy is very safety minded and even wears a helmet in his drawings.

Tommy greatly respects the Not Blue Angels and, as such, draws them with five fingers instead of his four.

Well you stopped playing with that rocket and the car the moment we got them for you so too bad, child!

Is she in heaven?-Tommy
I’m sure she is.-Linda

PLOT TWIST: Dan’s book is Heaven is For Real by Tommy Burpo.

Somehow, Tommy still loves Dan even though he didn't take him to a lovely rocket-themed amusement park.

Technically, one plane is usually a ton of plane. They're heavy.

This update was pretty sad and it gives us a difficult decision. So... what are we going to do, goons? There is only one more voting session after this.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Do we even get to vote on two things? Everything in this chapter seems mutually exclusive.

Dan and Linda

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Linda and Dan
Yes, the signing is important. No doubt. But this is really important to Linda, and we can see how deeply she needs the support of someone right now. Sure, Linda can be a little whiny and pointless. But this is neither; this is a beloved family member's death.

...And yeah, this feels like a strange chapter to have the usual format. And it feels like they weren't even trying with Tommy's option.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
Linda and Dan.

Important as the signing is, Dan should be there for his wife while her grief is still raw. Tommy's option is ridiculous.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I know for a fact that the usual format works and makes actually makes sense for Linda winning and Dan compromising. I don't remember any other outcomes though.

I'm not saying this to influence votes, just to assure that it "works."

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Linda.

You don't blow off your grieving spouse.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
Linda and Dan..

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This is barely a choice.

Linda and Dan

Man, Tommy's choice is just :wtc:

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Yeah, Linda and Dan, seriously.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Yeah, Linda first, Dan second. Tommy is a kid, so his hopes of theme parks and rockets and such are understandable, in this instance though, they're totally unreasonable.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I'm only voting for Linda because the other two options are dumb and bad and shouldn't be voted for at all.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Linda and Tommy

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Dan and Linda

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Great LP of an interesting game.

Linda and Dan. Sorry Tommy, but you're a little poo poo (I was as well at 5 years old, I'm sure).

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010
Linda and Dan.

Tommy's choice is just so out of place here. Though I am kind of curious of what an absurdly spoiled child run looks like now.

Sally Forth
Oct 16, 2012
Linda and Dan. No, we're not gonna blow off Grandma's funeral to go to an airshow, Jesus.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Great LP of an interesting game.

Thanks. :3: This is my first LP so I'm just trying to make something I'd like to read and hoping other people like it. There's still things I'd change in retrospect though. Like, I probably should have just gone with everybody getting a vote and a half vote. My prediction that two votes would cause voting to spread out did not come true.

idloveaspud
Apr 30, 2013
Dan and Linda.

Tommy needs to wake up to himself and get a grip.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Linda and Dan

Tommy's choice is so selfish. Only thinking of himself.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Dan and Tommy.

Proctor Cat
Jul 28, 2012

Linda.

I can't fault Tommy's selfishness being that he's so young, but yeah. Go and support your spouse, Dan.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
Linda and Dan.

This LP caused me to grab a copy of the game, so congrats! And yeah, Tommy's option seems incredibly stupid and selfish, but cut the kid a break-he's five. I'm pretty sure we were all selfish little brats back then, and while he probably understands that mom's sad and grandma won't be around anymore, he probably wouldn't be able to grasp that now might not be the best time to go to an air show.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Linda and Dan, but only if Dan's compromise is something badass like he polishes up the chapter and stuffs it in the eye socket of those people at this Grovefield place.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Alright, it seems like like consensus is Linda's option and Dan's comprise. I should have the update ready either tomorrow or Saturday. After that we'll be at the final chapter and final voting session. Nice workin' with ya!

Edit: vvv With this couple it might not be the worst thing in the world, to be painfully honest.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Linda and Dan. Not voting for Linda is like voting for divorce.

• Locked thread