Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Bananana posted:

How's the DLC for this game?

Isn't it all free?

As for a more descriptive take, they're a decent collection of maps to help broaden the gameplay experience and breathe new life into the post game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

The Bananana posted:

How's the DLC for this game?

Been posting about these the last page as I managed to get them on a PS sale. They're goal focused time trial maps, wouldn't call them more story as each map is freely available from launch (you can play part 4 before part 1 but would make more sense to play through in order) with a thin veneer of addition story at best; for example, each goal in the Corporate Lockdown maps pertains to what a Seegson executive has to do to cover his rear end whilst the main story plays out elsewhere on the station - unfortunately there's no new cutscenes, NPC interaction or significant new voice acting & you can play these maps as Amanda (or some other characters who have a small bio) and start off with a Flamethrower right away which feels a bit cheap. You'll enjoy wandering lesser explored parts of the ship, which you will do more than once as it's trial and error to find where and what you have to exactly do to complete the map but I'll put that down to a nice worthy challenge rather than lazy game design. The biggest bastard is the homescreen to the DLC maps has an emphasis on comparing your times to the world leaderboards which is full of glitched 0-10 second runs & it's far too fiddily to compare against your old time scores or your friends. I had to take to writing down my time when I wanted a challenge to try and beat it - pausing to make sure I was shaving off enough seconds to make my playthrough worth it.

If they had the latter maps, other characters and weapons as unlockable rewards for completion/decent runthroughs, an emphasis on beating realistic times & focus on the TIME TRIAL part (like, say, a ghostmode?) I'd recommend it heartily - as is, not at full price.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

BisonDollah posted:

Been posting about these the last page as I managed to get them on a PS sale. They're goal focused time trial maps, wouldn't call them more story as each map is freely available from launch (you can play part 4 before part 1 but would make more sense to play through in order) with a thin veneer of addition story at best; for example, each goal in the Corporate Lockdown maps pertains to what a Seegson executive has to do to cover his rear end whilst the main story plays out elsewhere on the station - unfortunately there's no new cutscenes, NPC interaction or significant new voice acting & you can play these maps as Amanda (or some other characters who have a small bio) and start off with a Flamethrower right away which feels a bit cheap. You'll enjoy wandering lesser explored parts of the ship, which you will do more than once as it's trial and error to find where and what you have to exactly do to complete the map but I'll put that down to a nice worthy challenge rather than lazy game design. The biggest bastard is the homescreen to the DLC maps has an emphasis on comparing your times to the world leaderboards which is full of glitched 0-10 second runs & it's far too fiddily to compare against your old time scores or your friends. I had to take to writing down my time when I wanted a challenge to try and beat it - pausing to make sure I was shaving off enough seconds to make my playthrough worth it.

If they had the latter maps, other characters and weapons as unlockable rewards for completion/decent runthroughs, an emphasis on beating realistic times & focus on the TIME TRIAL part (like, say, a ghostmode?) I'd recommend it heartily - as is, not at full price.

Excellent response. Exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Inspector Hound posted:

I love the alien, once you get the hang of avoiding it and figure how to best distract it, you can almost control it. On this last run through I went for the "don't kill anyone" trophy and was using the alien to assassinate enemies in my way.

vv I was thinking about this while I blew through it, it loses steam pretty noticeably even before you get to the reactor bit; all the fun parts were dodging the alien before the lab gets ejected, and the middle part of the game is just buttons and levers. It seems like they wanted to show you each part of the station at least twice and hit their story points and the real estate is just too wide. The generator dying at the end of the habitation sanctuary and getting sucked back into the nest a second time were probably the shittiest examples of the game being drawn out artificially. vv

Lord Lambeth posted:

I found the last 3-4 hours of the game pretty obnoxious, but they throw multiple aliens at you but then it becomes a very on rails portion with too many jump scares. I think they ran out of ideas.

Finished it and I can see this. It felt like the last few sections were very tacked on and had really limited components for building items as well. The train section was two pointless jump scares that...emphasized the Sevastopol was coming apart, I guess?

The facehuggers weren't used well throughout the game. Either you don't see them and have to reload, waste flamethrower fuel, or use the revolver and draw the Alien to the area.

It was mentioned earlier, but the rewire boxes seemed mostly pointless.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

You can actually whack the facehuggers with your wrench. The timing is fairly lenient.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Finally beat the game. It didn't feel that drawn out towards the end but I could definitely feel the focus was waning. Some really bullshit one hit kill moments towards the end but otherwise not bad. They did nail a good balance between running, combat, and stealth.

Still pissed the stun rod counts as a kill for human targets, I would've gotten the achievement.

Going to try out the dlc. Are they any good?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GoldenNugget posted:

Finally beat the game. It didn't feel that drawn out towards the end but I could definitely feel the focus was waning. Some really bullshit one hit kill moments towards the end but otherwise not bad. They did nail a good balance between running, combat, and stealth.

Still pissed the stun rod counts as a kill for human targets, I would've gotten the achievement.

Going to try out the dlc. Are they any good?

The Stun Rod shouldn't count as kills, I believe I used it once when going for that achievement. The DLC is solid but the best ones are the two that are scenes from Alien.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I found the last 3-4 hours of the game pretty obnoxious, but they throw multiple aliens at you but then it becomes a very on rails portion with too many jump scares. I think they ran out of ideas.

For me the flamethrower was the turning point. Nothing after that felt tense or explore-y, or even Rambo badass which would've been ok too. It was just frustrating.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I basically found the game a tense terrifying ride all the way through, and honestly even playing the bonus maps or whatever just fills me with terror because the Alien is goddamn scary and this game does the Alien really loving well.

Seriously, nothing has come close to this, and it deserves the praise it gets. The A.I. for the monster is truly outstanding and effectual and the gameplay is thankfully built almost entirely around that core concept (with Working Joe sections that at first act as breaks from the Alien, then act as enhanced obstacles.)

No game has really captured the sheer panic that this game manages to do, and that's so loving great.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cephalocidal posted:

For me the flamethrower was the turning point. Nothing after that felt tense or explore-y, or even Rambo badass which would've been ok too. It was just frustrating.

I think the peak for me was around where you shove the first alien into the sun or whatever. the rest of the game was a slow decline with occasional peaks. I liked the lead-up to the alien nest even if the nest itself was really frustrating.

edit: also also that part where they handed you a ton of ammo and had you kill a bunch of working joes was sort of funny

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 3, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I cant get past the comms section with the two working johns. even if I manage to sneak past them they still come and get me.

loving assholes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Which part is that?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How frequent are the sections with humans? I'm only at my second human encounter in the very beginning of the game, but I'm finding it so incredibly frustrating that if there's going to be a lot more sequences like it, I'd rather stop playing right here.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Not many. The part were you pick up the tuner is the worst part. There are a fair amount of encounters with working joes though, which are basically human.

edit: though joes don't have guns and you can outrun them by walking at a steady pace

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 4, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Humans become trivial quickly and are not that common. Working Joes are a far more common enemy but you can outrun them quite easily if you need to and they don't have any ranged attacks.

Anyway, that first part where you pick up the tuner is fortunately not at all indicative of the rest of the game.

edit: ^^^yeah what he said basically

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay thanks, I'll keep iterating through it... I've loved everything else thus far, but that freaking tuner section is really getting on my nerves. ^^

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay thanks, I'll keep iterating through it... I've loved everything else thus far, but that freaking tuner section is really getting on my nerves. ^^

It's possibly the worst part of the game, given that it happens before any really cool poo poo happens. You're coming up on the good poo poo now.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I am morbidly curious, now that you mention good poo poo- is the alien active at all in the early tutorial/exposition levels? The ambiance is great, particularly the music swelling as you run for the tram right after the angry british guy gets killed, but I'm close to convinced that the only times I've been in danger so far have been during the two human encounters.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Oh yes. I banged around with the wrench while waiting for the tram once and the alien pounced on me in moments. Right after Axel gets killed too.

Unless you go out of your way to get it's attention I don't think it bothers you much until medical though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If you wait too long after the tram comes, he will drop. I decided to wait him out, got bored, went inside the tram and activated the tram just as he dropped in front of my door.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't think it bothers you much until medical though.

Medical is wonderful :allears:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

One of the reviews I read before getting it apparently had the alien charge him just as the doors were closing on the first tram- it lined up so perfectly he thought it was a scripted sequence until he compared notes with other players.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Omi no Kami posted:

I am morbidly curious, now that you mention good poo poo- is the alien active at all in the early tutorial/exposition levels?

Mister tall-and-toothy will pop down shortly after the tram arrives and his AI will immediately take over (and as he will automatically know your position already, this results in a pretty quick death).

After you've gotten the tuner and returned to the lobby, the alien will be freely roaming around this level any time you visit it.

On your way out of Comms, the alien will be lurking in the overhead vents waiting to grab you, though he won't come out of them.

Once you have your first encounter with the alien in medical, the gloves come off and his AI gets free reins. How aggressively he searches for you can vary between sections and playthroughs, but he will remain an almost constant threat from this point on.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 4, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There are some parts with armed humans later on but you can either stealth them or they happen while the Xeno is already active in the area so you just need to get them to shoot a gun once and then hide until the Xeno finishes the job.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Palpek posted:

There are some parts with armed humans later on but you can either stealth them or they happen while the Xeno is already active in the area so you just need to get them to shoot a gun once and then hide until the Xeno finishes the job.

Even if you stealth, one of the humans will most likely have a Xeno encounter before much time has passed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

How easy/hard is a no-killing play through? I'm tempted to do one, but I remember getting really frustrated with one of the early human encounters and eventually saying "gently caress it" and baiting them around a corner and beating them to death.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Once you get past that first encounter in the systech lobby, it's not very hard at all. From that point onwards you can usually rely on penishead to take care of the humans for you before they can become more than a nuisance.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

For that first human group in the SysTech lobby: after you pick up the access tuner, turn around and sprint up the stairs on your left. You can hide behind some crates there and three of the group will walk right past you. Then there's only one between you and your exit.

It's not always a big deal to be spotted by humans. Some of them will just warn you off at first, and not pursue if you get out of their sight. That first group and anyone wearing Seegson Security helmets will always be total dicks, though.

A no-kill run is pretty easy, since siccing Joes or the Alien on people doesn't count against you.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Xenomrph posted:

How easy/hard is a no-killing play through? I'm tempted to do one, but I remember getting really frustrated with one of the early human encounters and eventually saying "gently caress it" and baiting them around a corner and beating them to death.

Humans are dumb as rocks, you can lead them around with flares and wrench slaps and poo poo. When you're sealing off Systech spire (right after flamethrower) there are some humans with shotties, but I usually run past them and hide in a vent til they lose interest / get eaten.

Late game after the reactor section you'll encounter the security type troops with shotguns. Again, flares or noisemakers. In Comms, you can also release a Working Joe to take care of them.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So where the hell am I supposed to go after I hide behind the crates? I've burned three hours on the lobby encounter, and I just don't want to play it anymore.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

You're supposed to run down the flight of stairs that's on the second level of the lobby IIRC.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Lord Lambeth posted:

You're supposed to run down the flight of stairs that's on the second level of the lobby IIRC.

This isn't the area right behind the locked door where you pick up the tuner, right? I tend to scoop up the tuner, run up the left staircase, hide until they pass by, then run around looking for where to go and get shot in the head.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Your goal is in the area they came out of. Once you go past the crates, there'll be a door on your left at the end of the balcony.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

This isn't the area right behind the locked door where you pick up the tuner, right? I tend to scoop up the tuner, run up the left staircase, hide until they pass by, then run around looking for where to go and get shot in the head.

No the area you want to run towards is opposite the locked door and to the left.

Protip: there are little security panels you can access. you should be able to flip something on called air purifiers which should obscure visibility and make that lobby easier. do it before you even grab the tuner.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

They're called rewires and I believe you want to switch air purifiers off. I usually turn on speakers and alarms too.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Acer Pilot posted:

They're called rewires and I believe you want to switch air purifiers off. I usually turn on speakers and alarms too.

:crossarms:

That doesn't sound right...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alarms will lure enemies to them--rewire panels have a second screen on the right that shows where systems are located. I'm not sure Speaker Systems have any effect; I think they're just there for you to draw power from, like the Unstable Systems.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Does unstable systems actually do anything?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Slashrat posted:

Does unstable systems actually do anything?

Not that I'm aware. You turn it off to free up resources and activate something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Alarms will lure enemies to them--rewire panels have a second screen on the right that shows where systems are located. I'm not sure Speaker Systems have any effect; I think they're just there for you to draw power from, like the Unstable Systems.

Speakers do have an effect, you can lure the lobby enemies one by one using the rewire points way back at the tram station and activating speakers on the other side of the map. I ended up killing them all that way because I never figured out where I was supposed to go until they were all dead and I realised the door was now unlocked.

• Locked thread