Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
"Well, I don't want to check the map, so if you could all come through this door one by one and ignore the increasingly gory wrench, that'd be just great"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I just beat this game and :staredog:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I bought a Buttkicker and now this game is like five times scarier. :gonk:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What's a buttkicker?

Also the developers have said a sequel to isolation is highly unlikely. I'd be more okay with that if they hadn't done a goofy cliffhanger ending.
Oh well, I'm sure some comic or novel can tie it all up.

We are still getting some figures based on the game later this year, though: Amanda, Amanda in a space suit, and the Alien.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Xenomrph posted:

What's a buttkicker?

Also the developers have said a sequel to isolation is highly unlikely. I'd be more okay with that if they hadn't done a goofy cliffhanger ending.
Oh well, I'm sure some comic or novel can tie it all up.

We are still getting some figures based on the game later this year, though: Amanda, Amanda in a space suit, and the Alien.

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/

It really is too bad that Sega thought this was a failed game. it did pretty well, and nailed the atmosphere perfectly.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

To be fair I felt the game was dragging its feet by the end, and it was a surprisingly long game. I honestly am not sure what a sequel could bring to the table gameplay-wise that would keep it from getting stale real quick, let alone sustain an entire game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

What's a buttkicker?

It's a bass shaker. You mount it to your chair and it'll vibrate your chair with any bass output. So when the Alien is walking around going *thump thump thump*, you can feel it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair I felt the game was dragging its feet by the end, and it was a surprisingly long game. I honestly am not sure what a sequel could bring to the table gameplay-wise that would keep it from getting stale real quick, let alone sustain an entire game.

I want DayZ-style survival multiplayer with alien murder machines dropping down from the vents instead of zombies, goddammit! :(

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

For some reason all DLC is now being given to people who own this on Steam free of charge.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mr. Flunchy posted:

For some reason all DLC is now being given to people who own this on Steam free of charge.

I'm at work, anyone check their PS4? I would totally come back to this if they gave me free things.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I never got around to finishing story mode before, and now that I have, wow the entire second half the game is completely unnecessary. It should have ended after the whole alien nest bit, but instead it's still going and going and it feels really unnecessary. I'm tempted to just fire up a trainer and sprint to the finish just to see it.

Alien Isolation is terrific when you are ducking the alien, especially when you have to cut through a panel or interface with terminals when the alien is around. It's a boring drag when you are doing basically anything else, especially anything involving Working Joes.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I thought the Joes section was pretty liberating, after creeping around like a scared rabbit for countless hours prior to that. But I agree.

I did like the spacewalk parts, though.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I actually thought the Joes were scarier than the Alien; or at least, scarier in a different way. Partially it was the presentation, as I'd seen the alien a million times but their fake-rubber skin and eerie voice was something new. Also, the Alien was about worrying when you can't see would drop in unexpectedly and screw you up by getting between you and your objective, but once it was down out of the vents it felt easy to evade because it was a single entity who would wander off randomly. The Joes were out in plain sight but would never leave the area, forcing you to carefully sneak by or engage them with either very limited or very noisy options. Plus the alien was almost trivialized once I learned how to properly conserve flamethrower ammo whereas the Joes remained a threat much longer.

The first time I tried to take one down from behind with a wrench and got wall-slammed and neck-snapped while it quipped to me in a pleasant butler voice was a better pants-making GBS threads terror moment than the alien catching me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I liked the Joes early game (their creepy voice and murder animations are really great), but by the time they did the token "lose all your weapons" bit and then introduced EMP-immune Joes as a big "gently caress you," I was tired of them from a gameplay perspective.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone done the spacewalk part with a rift and decent surround headset? Seems like something that would work really well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The spacewalk part is why I still kinda like the last third of the game. Even if you don't actually do anything except push buttons and turn cranks, I love being able to play space repairwoman for a while.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I have a bit of a weird question. I find that games never really scare me unless I have a friend by my side who's extremely jumpy and scared of horror games, so I just bought this, and me and one of my jumpy friends will give it a spin this Sunday.

So this is what I'm wondering: I wanna give the game a try, get used to the controls and such, and I'm wondering if there's something in the first half hour/hour that's really cool and novel that I should save for Sunday. Like; the intro to The Phantom Pain isn't nearly as tense and dreadful the second or third time you play it, so if you want the full buddy-horror experience, you wanna go in fresh. Anyone get what I'm getting at? Social horror, you know.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Well, you don't start getting attacked until you've reached the med bay. The alien does pop up once you get passed a certain locked door though.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yes, the medical section of the game would probably be the best part to show them.

This is the moment that section begins, when it comes down from the ceiling:

https://youtu.be/Qdhuee6nzqk

Edit: You'll have a couple of hours of gameplay to get through before reaching that section, though

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The game should have ended after the aneisadora But it keeps finding busy work for you to do. After that point, you pretty much have accomplished your goal and it's obvious padding at that point.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

If you just want to jump right into some alien ducking when your friend shows up, then try the DLC/Survival modes. You won't have the benefit of having the game mechanics gradually introduced to you, but it'll give you some fodder to scare your friend.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Black Griffon posted:

I have a bit of a weird question. I find that games never really scare me unless I have a friend by my side who's extremely jumpy and scared of horror games, so I just bought this, and me and one of my jumpy friends will give it a spin this Sunday.

So this is what I'm wondering: I wanna give the game a try, get used to the controls and such, and I'm wondering if there's something in the first half hour/hour that's really cool and novel that I should save for Sunday. Like; the intro to The Phantom Pain isn't nearly as tense and dreadful the second or third time you play it, so if you want the full buddy-horror experience, you wanna go in fresh. Anyone get what I'm getting at? Social horror, you know.
Let me just say that the very very first time you encounter the Alien killing a guy - call the transit train but don't go into it and stick around despite the game telling you to hurry up. Pretend you're looking around the environmnets or something, it's not like the game would attempt to kill you so early right? That should give your friend a heart attack.

Also when a group of people start shooting at you and the game tells you to escape the room - go where that group came from, this should save you some frustration of going back and forth and not knowing where to go.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Black Griffon posted:

This was me growing up. I was (am) too scared and jumpy to play horror or scary games so I'd just sit next to a friend as a sort of co-pilot while they played what ever survival horror game they were into. Silent Hill, Resident Evil, a bunch of other genric japanese horror games, even up to some PC horror games I can't remember the name of. It was good fun. Even now I still can't do it, there's 0 chance of me ever playing Isolation but I enjoy everyone's stories and videos.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Black Griffon posted:

Emotions are contagious. Like comedy, horror movies are best enjoyed with company.

Shine posted:

I liked the Joes early game (their creepy voice and murder animations are really great), but by the time they did the token "lose all your weapons" bit and then introduced EMP-immune Joes as a big "gently caress you," I was tired of them from a gameplay perspective.
Speak for yourself. The Apollo Core section is one of the most intense parts of the game.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 30, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The resistant Joes were great because of the payoff when you finally find the boltgun and can kill like 5 of them with one shot when you line them up nicely. It was so satisfying after being forced to hide from them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I picked this up because I wanted something spooky for Halloween and I'm really enjoying it. I haven't gotten scared by games in years and years, and I'm not about to get started, but it's tense as hell and does a fantastic job of making me think "ugh, do I have to?" when a new objective comes up.

I actually found the places where the alien was less active to be the most tense. In the chapter where I had to go to the warehouse to get a part to fix the elevator, the only time I saw the alien was at the start. I thought maybe this would be the one time where the survivors were friendly but they shot at me, I hid, and the alien came and ganked them. It didn't show up at all after that in that area. It may have shown up if I started making a racket, but it didn't have to because I was so paranoid about attracting it that I didn't dare make any noise.

I think I got a little complacent after being in a friendly area after that though. In the tech spire transit area after getting the flamethrower from the Marshal, I got killed by the alien because I sprinted between the rewire boxes :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm still looking forward to finishing this game once I get a rig capable of doing it justice in the rift (hopefully next month or the month after), but hearing how it drags on is always a drag. Why do developers feel the need to do that? It's such garbage. Does anyone actually like pointless padding? It's not like the game wouldn't have been long enough to satisfy people without it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I didn't feel there was excessive padding. The extra content was fun enough. Though, from a narrative perspective, I just had to shake my head as everything goes from one crisis to another.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm still looking forward to finishing this game once I get a rig capable of doing it justice in the rift (hopefully next month or the month after), but hearing how it drags on is always a drag. Why do developers feel the need to do that? It's such garbage. Does anyone actually like pointless padding? It's not like the game wouldn't have been long enough to satisfy people without it.

They do it because so many people equate "quality of game" with "time spent playing" and give no consideration to if that time was actually fun, or was just repeating poo poo you've already done. RPGs and open world games are the worst for it. I was moderately interested in fallout 4 until I saw the devs say there's ~400 hours of content~ and then it got distictly less interesting. Who has that kind of time to put into a game?

Or rather, who has that kind of time that also has a job/social life?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
To be fair, in RPGs and contemporary open-world games, most of the fluff they use to bulk up the playtime hours is entirely optional. I get the feeling a lot of devs know that the hours played = value of game equivalency is horseshit, but it's a hole marketers dug the industry into and consumers aren't big into nuance, so you've gotta find some way to bulk up those potential hours if you're aiming for a $60 USD retail price.

A:I's padding is more noticeable because it's the actual linear narrative that gets padded out towards the end and the level design starts getting more questionable as a result. I'm not of the opinion that it totally falls apart, hell I even don't mind the quasi-cliffhanger and I kinda get what they're going for with that and the whole last act, but it could have been executed a lot more gracefully.

As a side note, I find it funny that TW3 has become the champion for open-world RPGs while exemplifying the length issue in a big way. Like, yeah, sure, it seems well-crafted and all that, but seeing "oh man i've been mainlining the story for XX hours and i'm not even halfway done!" just induces some weird form of anxiety mixed with apathy. That on top of some of the more immediate qualms I have with CDPR's handling of certain subject matters just makes me wonder why I should bother spending that much free time on a decent RPG with controls and a UI that even the fans admit are clunky. That's a shallow way to view it, sure, but so is literally saying time = money.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The last scene in the game is really stupid. For some reason, Ripley decides to not take off her spacesuit after boarding the Torrens. Then an alien appears - one got on board ahead of Ripley and kill Verlaine. I know aliens are smart but since when do they know how to use airlocks?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Thanks for all your answers and comments in regards to my questions!

(And now I'm vacating the thread because of spoilers, which I did expect in a thread about a year old game ((no worries)), so I'm diverting my eyes away from the last post)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I had just completed the objective in the KG346 lab and the alien came out of a duct. I started backing out of the room and towards the exit firing a burst at it when it charged me. Suddenly...

"Are you going somewhere?"

A loving "dead" Joe that I didn't notice grabbed me and I desperately began beating it with my wrench. Luckily, the burst I fired just before he grabbed me was the one that scared the alien off, but god drat

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Baron Bifford posted:

The last scene in the game is really stupid. For some reason, Ripley decides to not take off her spacesuit after boarding the Torrens. Then an alien appears - one got on board ahead of Ripley and kill Verlaine. I know aliens are smart but since when do they know how to use airlocks?

Verlaine mentions during the spacewalk that she has set the airlock to autocycle. Presumably that means that it will automatically cycle the airlock when it detect someone entering it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Certainly this broken gas pipe will help me stop the mass of Working Joes that was chasing me.

What the

OH GOD

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

Certainly this broken gas pipe will help me stop the mass of Working Joes that was chasing me.

What the

OH GOD

The back room is full of pipe bombs but i like your way better

edit my last playthrough i realized that all the joes you see piled up are the mannequins from the next area

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I ended up reloading and trying to EMP them in the flame jet as the armory had several EMP bombs to replace anything I used so I thought it was worth a try, but it didn't help. I reloaded again and just pipe bombed the fuckers.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I wonder how feasible it'd be to do a remake of this game from the alien's perspective. It was fun terrorizing humans in AvP2 :haw:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

BattleMaster posted:

Probably my favorite Working Joe line from the game, second only to "you are becoming hysterical." (usually because they're in the middle of strangling me while they're saying it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It's kinda subtle but I like how the Alien gets less and less afraid of fire as the game progresses

Early on I could just tap a burst at it and would turn tail and run, but eventually it stood its ground more and id have to really start spraying and using more fuel

Good way to naturally curve difficulty in a game like this

• Locked thread