Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

double nine posted:

Well, even if W-Y was run by competent people who went around exterminating every egg/facehugger/xenomorph they came across; and nuked the crashed ship into dust ... that ship came from somewhere. So even in a scenario where the writer creates a scenario that unambiguously states that *this was the last alien*, all the next writer has to do is say *hey guys, here's another crashed ship/ancient ruins/... and guess what they found inside?*.
There could be some kind of weapon invented that kills them with ease. Like water in Signs :v: or some kind of scpace-aids. Still the next writer could come up with a new species resistant to that etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Well the thing is that I think they could easily create a good Aliens game. They seriously hosed everything up with Colonial Marines. But the Marine Campaign in AvP wasn't that bad up until you get to the part with the androids.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Palpek posted:

Was there actually a piece of Alien universe (maybe an alternative timeline or whatever) where the Xeno got erased for good or do they always keep the last floating-in-space egg around?

The ending Alien 3/beginning of Resurrection does this. Resurrection takes place 200 years later and they say outright that the species was extinct as of Ripley killing herself at the end of 3.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Even if you didn't like Prometheus the idea behind it that the galaxy is full of weird and nasty stuff that we don't really understand is a very good fit for the aliens universe. The core theme of corporations messing with stuff they don't understand because it might just turn a profit could certainly work if the scope was widened beyond just xenomorphs.

It needn't be lovecraftian either, I always liked the suggestion the black goo in Prometheus was some kind of industrial chemical or otherwise functional substance that was dangerous because humans mishandled it similar to how all sorts of modern chemicals could be dangerous if someone without training or who simply didn't understand them messed with it.

In that context you could have a dwarf fortress style game where you manage a colony trying to balance your need to turn a profit with surviving the dangers of randomised weird stuff found on the planet. Or maybe something like isolation where a Xeno might be present but you also have a giger esque mass slowly infecting the structure of the station itself. Or maybe an FPS/survival horror where contrived circumstances don't prevent Colonial Marines from pretty easily wiping out a xenomorph threat for once but then you run into even weirder enemies or circumstances.

Or to put it simply its fine to have orcs and scheming humans in your fantasy RPG but maybe have other enemies or threats too.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

The ending Alien 3/beginning of Resurrection does this. Resurrection takes place 200 years later and they say outright that the species was extinct as of Ripley killing herself at the end of 3.

That would have been a good film if they hadn't shoehorned Ripley in there. I don't know why the base couldn't have just found some more eggs somewhere, the whole DNA and weird Ripley thing ruined it. Brad Dourif, Ron Perlman, Dominique Pinon and Michael Wincott were a great cast to have.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It'll be very interesting to see how much more access they'll be giving to journalists as this game rolls out closer to release. Its only got a few more months before its release so I suppose we should expect media blackout until a couple weeks before release when they start sending out review copies.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

soggybagel posted:

It'll be very interesting to see how much more access they'll be giving to journalists as this game rolls out closer to release. Its only got a few more months before its release so I suppose we should expect media blackout until a couple weeks before release when they start sending out review copies.

I don't know if it's standard practice when releasing anything but media blackouts / review embargoes will definitely seem shady for another questionable Alien-related title. If CA has any faith at all in their game they'll want to remain as open as possible before release. They came into this at a huge disadvantage as it is, they don't want to handle this like Gearbox.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I always assumed any new release that didn't put reviews out before it hit the shelves was hiding something.

There's no real logical reason otherwise to do so, is there?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

KiddieGrinder posted:

I always assumed any new release that didn't put reviews out before it hit the shelves was hiding something.

There's no real logical reason otherwise to do so, is there?
It usually happens to well known brands. The idea is that the risk of having reviews out earlier where some well known portal decides to destroy the game for whatever reason (even if it's good) is greater than the power of the brand and marketing itself. Why take risks when you put millions into the ad campaign? The fact that review lockdown is even allowed is a different matter in this hosed-up industry.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Organs posted:

That would have been a good film if they hadn't shoehorned Ripley in there. I don't know why the base couldn't have just found some more eggs somewhere, the whole DNA and weird Ripley thing ruined it. Brad Dourif, Ron Perlman, Dominique Pinon and Michael Wincott were a great cast to have.

Ripley had to come back to perform the Chaos Dunk drain that over-the-shoulder three

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So I was watching a interview about the game with angry Joe (yeah i know) and apparently the writer of the game is gonna be dan abnett. which in my opinion, is a good thing. also it plays like outlast with some combat, but apparently its optional.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pHM6DVG5o
Edit: here is a amusing article on abnett on a warhammer wiki
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dan_Abnett

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 5, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

The fact that review lockdown is even allowed is a different matter in this hosed-up industry.

As opposed to film, music, books, and television?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pengun101 posted:

So I was watching a interview about the game with angry Joe (yeah i know) and apparently the writer of the game is gonna be dan abnett. which in my opinion, is a good thing. also it plays like outlast with some combat, but apparently its optional.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pHM6DVG5o

When he says "You can play the whole game without killing a human," it piqued my interest. Because that sounds good but I'm expecting it to be bullshit.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Resurrection was just the best looking film, aside from the alien double mouths moving side to side which made me angry in a Han-shot-first kind of way. The aliens were so scary and... wet-looking. I saw it after I had seen the first three a hundred times and it was already pretty old, so I'm fairly sure any passive feelings I have four it aren't a nostalgia thing either.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As opposed to film, music, books, and television?

You're right and he's wrong on this particular point (review lock downs), but what he's saying is coming from a place of frustration with the media in this industry in aggregate. You're probably silently laughing at the idea that anyone could expect integrity in this arena, which is just period to the point.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Sire Oblivion posted:

When he says "You can play the whole game without killing a human," it piqued my interest. Because that sounds good but I'm expecting it to be bullshit.

He didn't say android. :smug:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No Oculus Rift for Alien: Isolation. :(

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Organs posted:

It was a really bad film save for the ripley clone scene which was genuinely creepy.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I wonder what happened because Jean-Pierre Jeunet is an amazing director. Oh wait, it was the only movie he directed but didn't write.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/alien-isolation-hands-on-the-horror-and-delight-of-virtual-reality-hide-and-seek/

More positive, than usual, preview from PCG UK - although a lot of it seems to be attributed to the Oculus Rift which as mentioned above isn't going to be an official feature. Hrm.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Palpek posted:

I wonder what happened because Jean-Pierre Jeunet is an amazing director. Oh wait, it was the only movie he directed but didn't write.

The irony is that reading the Joss Whedon script for Resurrection, it's also pretty good. There just seems to have been a complete failure to link the material with the director's mindset/style.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

massive spider posted:

It was a really bad film save for the ripley clone scene which was genuinely creepy.

I liked the alien/human thing at the end. Even if it had little bitch tits it was creepy as hell and scarier than any normal alien in resurrection. The alien swimming scene looked really good too, the CGI used there still works today.

Other than that, yea it's a bad film.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I never really thought about the amount of work that they put into the underwater scene. Its actually one of my favorite parts in the movie.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

blackguy32 posted:

I never really thought about the amount of work that they put into the underwater scene. Its actually one of my favorite parts in the movie.

I wouldn't mind a game, movie, whatever, which explores Aliens in other environments than space stations. Resurrection showed that they can swim well, and gracefully. Since they're supposed to be these ultimate weapons or whatever, it would be cool to see how they acted outside of airducts.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Iacen posted:

I wouldn't mind a game, movie, whatever, which explores Aliens in other environments than space stations. Resurrection showed that they can swim well, and gracefully. Since they're supposed to be these ultimate weapons or whatever, it would be cool to see how they acted outside of airducts.

Pity most Alien games take place on rocky balls like the second movie. I'd like the setting for Metroid Fusion, but used for Aliens--a space station with numerous artificial environments on board.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There was an Alien Resurrection FPS game that came out on the PS1 circa 2001, I still have a coffee mug from its release.
It was pretty legitimately scary, but it was crippled by its controls - it came out in that pre-Halo era where console FPS games just hadn't quite gotten a handle on intuitive dual-stick controls yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

As hateful as the films are, I'd love an Aliens on Earth game like AvP:Requiem. Small Oregon town, big woods, xenomorphs crash down and invade the town. You're a deputy and must survive.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

The_Doctor posted:

As hateful as the films are, I'd love an Aliens on Earth game like AvP:Requiem. Small Oregon town, big woods, xenomorphs crash down and invade the town. You're a deputy and must survive.

And then weyland yutani androids/mercenaries show up!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

KiddieGrinder posted:

And then weyland yutani androids/mercenaries show up!

and then they capture you and take you to their ship where you spend the rest of the game after one level of being on Earth.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

blackguy32 posted:

and then they capture you and take you to their ship where you spend the rest of the game after one level of being on Earth.

Will there be a sewer level on the ship? This is very important.

And one of them robot suit things, you know. The ones the kids love so much? Power lifters, or something. I don't know just give me money. :clint:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

KiddieGrinder posted:

Will there be a sewer level on the ship? This is very important.

And one of them robot suit things, you know. The ones the kids love so much? Power lifters, or something. I don't know just give me money. :clint:

It will be there, but just for decoration. Also there will be a hive on the ship in the sewer level.

God drat the alien games had no imagination. It's like there is a checklist of things that they all have to have, including quotes from the movies, but only the 2nd one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Organs posted:

Fun fact, she turned down involvement in the first AvP PC game like right before this movie came out because it would "cheapen the franchise." :laffo:

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Pity most Alien games take place on rocky balls like the second movie. I'd like the setting for Metroid Fusion, but used for Aliens--a space station with numerous artificial environments on board.

Sadly Resurrection actually did have this going on. The script had another shoot out in a hydroponics garden/big green house type area but they didn't have the budget to make it happen.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 8, 2014

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Neo Rasa posted:

Fun fact, she turned down involvement in the first AvP PC game like right before this movie came out because it would "cheapen the franchise." :laffo:

Apparently she's changed her mind:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...ayStation.Blog)

quote:

Alien: Isolation’s Nostromo Edition, which includes the bonus content “Crew Expendable,” contains Ellen Ripley and the original crew of the USS Nostromo.

The pre-order bonus content will find you playing as Dallas, Parker, or the iconic Ellen Ripley. In the horrific moments following the deaths of Brett and Kane, it will be up to you to escape the Alien terror hunting you.

Yes, you hear right: Gamers everywhere will finally be able to live out their of playing as Yaphet Kotto.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh poo poo! Sold on that bonus.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BrandonGK posted:

Yes, you hear right: Gamers everywhere will finally be able to live out their of playing as Yaphet Kotto.

They'd be really talking it up if they actually got Weaver/etc. involved though (like they did with Colonial Marines' pre-order bonus).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Theres another bonus mission based on Alien you can get by pre-ordering at Gamestop.

I mean I hope you can buy the missions as dlc but if you were gonna get it day one your best bet is Gamestop.

No digital preorder bonuses yet?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

They'd be really talking it up if they actually got Weaver/etc. involved though (like they did with Colonial Marines' pre-order bonus).

Apparently they did as well as the rest of the original cast

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012
Generally not a fan of horror games because I didn't like the setting of most of them, but this one actually has be excited. I can't wait to see more game footage of this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

:aaaaa: This is at least in the "wait til it's $10 in February" pile for me now instead of avoiding it completely.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

BrandonGK posted:

I mean I'd prefer if it were Lt Giadello but I will take any chance to play as Yaphet Kotto I can get.

That's pretty much the first piece of bonus content I've seen that really does seem like a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Goddamn this is pretty drat cool.

• Locked thread