Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Locking out critical gameplay features that are arguably better than what is default isn't "completely optional" and you know it

What are you referring to here, specifically? I did a decent number of sidequests for the first half of the game but didn't finish more than a 1/4 of the 'timed' ones from Alcamoth (which aren't really timed, just locked by plot progression) and I don't think I missed out on anything critical.

E: And I don't think many people downplay the game's faults -- the good parts just make up for them. Needs improvement:

-NPC tracking for quests. I don't wanna run around to find a dude to turn a thing in.
-Inventory management. Selling off old stuff made my eyes water by the end, needed more sorting options too.
-Interface clunkiness in general.
-Maybe a little less visual noise in combat?
-Some more control over NPC's for setting up combos and stuff would be nice, some of the AI was pretty bad (looking at you, Melia.)

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Locking out critical gameplay features that are arguably better than what is default isn't "completely optional" and you know it

Also just because a lovely bad thing is optional doesn't make it not lovely and bad

Xeno chronicles was a good game, great even, but pretending it was perfect or the best jrpg ever made is flat out dishonest and disingenuous and does nobody any favors, especially because that game had major problems that everyone ignores

What "critical gameplay feature" in the skill tree were completely necessary for completing the game? By all means, let me know. They weren't necessary in any way to complete it.

Any game, and JRPG even, will have those optional, hard to get skills or items that you'll have to work overtime to get but aren't necessary to get to the ending of the game. You ever have to dodge lighting 200 times? Yeah, gently caress that. Didn't need to do it to beat the game though!

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Adopting a system like GW2 or Wildstar where you can just turn in fetch quests from wherever you are would be even better.

I'd rather they just gut the fetch quests honestly.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That's fair, the better quests involved hunting named monsters anyhow. And there were plenty of sidequests even without doing the collection ones.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NmareBfly posted:

What are you referring to here, specifically? I did a decent number of sidequests for the first half of the game but didn't finish more than a 1/4 of the 'timed' ones from Alcamoth (which aren't really timed, just locked by plot progression) and I don't think I missed out on anything critical.

The skill trees, which incidentally unlock extra abilities as well on each character, drastically changing their play style

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Louisgod posted:

What "critical gameplay feature" in the skill tree were completely necessary for completing the game? By all means, let me know. They weren't necessary in any way to complete it.

Any game, and JRPG even, will have those optional, hard to get skills or items that you'll have to work overtime to get but aren't necessary to get to the ending of the game. You ever have to dodge lighting 200 times? Yeah, gently caress that. Didn't need to do it to beat the game though!

There's a difference between doing something dumb at your own leisure right before the postgame in order to do slightly higher numbers, and having something be gated behind a time limit that as a player you may not even always be aware of with the reward being 2 entire paths of growth that dictate your entire strategies for the rest of the game. Stop being disingenuous.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

Yeah, I'd much rather have exploration quests or monster hunting quests. Quests that make you rely on the RNG to complete are boring as poo poo because killing 50 of the same monster until you get the 3 items you need isn't challenging or engaging at all.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

The skill trees, which incidentally unlock extra abilities as well on each character, drastically changing their play style

Yes, but you said "critical", which none of them are

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

So which skill trees were critically needed to complete the game?

efb

Paper Lion posted:

There's a difference between doing something dumb at your own leisure right before the postgame in order to do slightly higher numbers, and having something be gated behind a time limit that as a player you may not even always be aware of with the reward being 2 entire paths of growth that dictate your entire strategies for the rest of the game. Stop being disingenuous.

I let a lot of the timed quests lapse and still managed to get all the skill trees but I was pretty religious about doing quests where I could.

But again, which of those skill trees were needed to complete the game?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Louisgod posted:

Yeah, and it was bad game design then too, because in both cases it isn't hard, it's just horribly tedious

Raising colony 9 to four stars isn't fun, it's just time consuming in an already hugely long game. The ffx ultimate weapons are much the same, just like persona 4's godawful skill inheritance system

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Yeah, and it was bad game design then too, because in both cases it isn't hard, it's just horribly tedious

Raising colony 9 to four stars isn't fun, it's just time consuming in an already hugely long game. The ffx ultimate weapons are much the same, just like persona 4's godawful skill inheritance system

So don't do it?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Paper Lion posted:

I could be wrong, been a while, but I'm 95% sure you didn't need to complete any of the 'timed' quests to unlock every skill tree? There were enough other quests in the areas to increase your rep.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Nobody's arguing that they're a pain in the rear end to get - because they definitely are - but they are not critical or even necessary to completing the game. Are they critical or necessary to beat those high tier level 99+ monsters? Absolutely.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Friendly Factory posted:

Yes, but you said "critical", which none of them are

Critical might've been hyperbolic but only just; in the grand scheme of gameplay flexibility it's much more important than ffx's ultimate weapons and about as important as p4's fused skills

Discounting extra gameplay flexibility as "optional" is just as hyperbolic in the other direction

And in either case it's still bad game design

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Paper Lion posted:

Any quest that might become off limits to you at any point of the game is very clearly marked with an alarm clock icon. This indicates that a plot event will remove access to the area or NPC at some future point.

The radical game-changing bonuses are things like "5 seconds delay on Shulk's vision" or "20% less aggro" and "Immune to ability down," not new talent arts or spells. You can't even get them till the end of the game -- some require fighting Lv. 90+ monsters that are much tougher than the game's final plot sequences.

They're wholly unnecessary and are mostly useful for doing something dumb at your own leisure to do slightly higher numbers. Are you purposely trying to be a strawman to set up weak arguments or did you not play the game?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Critical might've been hyperbolic but only just; in the grand scheme of gameplay flexibility it's much more important than ffx's ultimate weapons and about as important as p4's fused skills

Discounting extra gameplay flexibility as "optional" is just as hyperbolic in the other direction

And in either case it's still bad game design

Okay fine but don't say I'm being disingenuous when you're backpedaling and saying you were being hyperbolic.

Again, if those 4th or 5th tree skills locked you out from beating the game then yeah, bad game design, definitely. Again though, are you talking about post-game high level tier enemies and what-have-you that you needed the extra skill trees for? Still trying to understand where they made or break parts of the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
To play this game on a Wii, what controller do I need to buy?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 12, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NmareBfly posted:

I could be wrong, been a while, but I'm 95% sure you didn't need to complete any of the 'timed' quests to unlock every skill tree? There were enough other quests in the areas to increase your rep.

You don't and you can get Melia's extras just with the post-destruction quests iirc

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Tenzarin posted:

To play this game on a Wii u what controller do I need to buy?

Either Wii remote + nunchuck or Wii remote + classic controller.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Louisgod posted:

Either Wii remote + nunchuck or Wii remote + classic controller.

Which combination is usually perfered, I pretty much only plan to use it for this game.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tenzarin posted:

Which combination is usually perfered, I pretty much only plan to use it for this game.

Classic controller, preferably pro

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Tenzarin posted:

Wiimote and Nunchuk by far. They let you move the camera during combat and you can keep your hands super relaxed while playing, which is good since it's a loooooong game.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wiimote and Nunchuk by far. They let you move the camera during combat and you can keep your hands super relaxed while playing, which is good since it's a loooooong game.

This must be the first time I've ever seen some recommend the nunchuck.

Use the Classic Controller.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Clever Spambot posted:

They did this in diablo 3 and now the EXP is just rewarded as a bonus from smashing any group of monsters. No quests that require 10 of anything, it's a good solution to the problem.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, though I did try and complete the collectopaedia because I never got the hang of the gem crafting system and the gems you got from it would get you through till the endgame. Plus you only needed one of anything, as opposed to a half dozen (those makna mushrooms can rot in hell).

Much as I would have preferred a npc finding chart or a place where they tended to hang out if you have a quest to turn in (so much time wasted in Frontier Village before I realized npcs tended to do more than hang out in one area:negative:, thank god for the affinity chart showing what times they are active though, even if it took me seventy hours to realize it). Still, most of the sidequests are designed so that you take in twenty of them and just sort of explore and do stuff as you go without any rush. If you're doing quests one at a time and not just sort of keeping them in the back of your mind you're going to have a whole lot less fun. I just wish they didn't hide two Monado arts behind sidequests though, that was complete bullshit.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 13, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If you can get used to this it's probably fine, I couldn't. Classic controller here.

Picked the game back up on a whim, not sure what to do with my save after the credits. Working through the replica quests now, but I don't seem to be high enough in level to get the other skill trees.. Any advice?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ManlyGrunting posted:

Yeah, though I did try and complete the collectopaedia because I never got the hang of the gem crafting system and the gems you got from it would get you through till the endgame.

Make a lot of Cylinders, then have Melia and the last party member craft them. Congratulations you have mastered the crafting system.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I really wish they would put out Xenoblade HD or something. I have the urge to play it again, but I don't want to do it on the Wii, or in an emulator :smith:

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

It happened with Bayonetta but considering the Wii U has full backwards compatibility Nintendo probably just expects people to play the original game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

What are you referring to here, specifically?

In case anyone's still curious about this, he limped all the way to the endgame without even realizing there were extra skills for the Monado. Feel free to give him noogies.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Oxxidation posted:

In case anyone's still curious about this, he limped all the way to the endgame without even realizing there were extra skills for the Monado. Feel free to give him noogies.

I almost did as well, because by that time, you'll probably be both burned out on sidequests, and not expecting sidequests to grant things like that.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Oxxidation posted:

I didn't even go to the skill link whatever screen until right before the game was over for me

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I remember seeing fuel gauges for the mechs in videos, I really hope that isn't as annoying as it was in xenogears. Although maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion, as I haven't played that in...14 years?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I remember seeing fuel gauges for the mechs in videos, I really hope that isn't as annoying as it was in xenogears. Although maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion, as I haven't played that in...14 years?

Eh, running out of fuel in XG is actually pretty hard to do, even when you're abusing Booster. For the two or three boss battles where fuel mattered however, it really really sucked if you weren't ready.

Hopefully the mechs just run on cooldown periods or something instead of an actual consumable resource.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I really do hope they actually create an original story and world and can let the xenogears/saga/perfect works story rest in peace. I do get the impression they may be trying to remake it yet again. Xenoblade may have had a few issues, but I was glad to have a game by these guys that finally felt 'complete' and not hosed over by a budget (gears) or extremely poor planning (saga)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Yeah. I can't really see a reasonable way to have another story set in the Xenoblade 1 universe - certainly not one with the original characters around. It'd be really hard to up the stakes. It seems like Xenoblade X is a sequel in the same way that Far Cry 2 is a sequel to Far Cry 1 - gameplay similarities, but little else in common.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

But but

I wanna see Reyn again.

:(

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Regy Rusty posted:

But but

I wanna see Reyn again.

It shall never again be Reyn time™.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Regy Rusty posted:

But but

I wanna see Reyn again.

if the Xeno series past performance is any indication you'll get a Reyn 2.0 that is not Reyn but is an entirely different person who just happens to look like Reyn and you're gonna like it or you're not going to get desert until you've come to accept that you're going to have to kill a god in some shape or form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I think the team had probably learned their lesson from xenosaga, particularly xenosaga 2. How 3 and, to an even greater extent, blade turned out I think shows that.

Also, just because the name has xeno in it does not have to indicate that it had anything to do with the other xeno games, as the name was kind of a last minute thing done by Nintendo to "honor" Tetsuya Takahashi.

Also interesting to note that originally shulk was going to be a silent protagonist before they changed their mind and went the other direction.

• Locked thread