Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, the first one did, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, anything has to be a step up at this point

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So how does the game handle it when party members lose their skells? Do the have a chance to pass the quick time event to not count against insurance?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

so many systems goddamn

its like xenoblade and civilization had a baby

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
8-4 gave a breakdown of their localization on their podcast, basically explaining they talked with the creators, used their experience from translating the xenosaga trilogy, and even brought along the guy that did the xenogears translation to be thematically consistent.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Ethiser posted:

So how does the game handle it when party members lose their skells? Do the have a chance to pass the quick time event to not count against insurance?

yeah. getting a perfect on the quick time gets you out free of charge.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

That's the big thing keeping me from preordering this, the combat was dull as dishwater in the first game and dragged everything else around it down. It seems like the characters are a lot less fun or likable this time around and there's even more focus put on combat and MMO-like quests so unless that all got radically better I may just end up passing on this one.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://youtu.be/H5GMD_-y6Iw

Survival Guide man comes out as a strong eugenics supporter.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Motto posted:

The sheer scope of the gameplay seems really impressive, I wasn't expecting a 4X element at all. The reduction in cinematics and anime drama does make a little more sense with vastly expanded game systems, it'll be interesting to see how well they've handled it

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
watching the giant bomb vid now, super hyped that blast fencer's ranged weapons are a pair of floating laser drones.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Motto posted:

Survival Guide man said I am of above average intellect because I'm still watching this map making tutorial video.

Edit: So making augments is just straight up crafting rather than the gem making minigame in Xenoblade? That's... ok, I guess. I will kinda miss the rush of managing to create a next level gem, but this sounds much simpler.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 27, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jesus christ, it amazes how loving dense this game is. It's also really fast which I'm happy about, it'll make it a much easier game to play than XB even though it's probably more intimidating in sheer scope.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I really like the xenogears ham fisted religious imagery translation

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

Jesus christ, it amazes how loving dense this game is. It's also really fast which I'm happy about, it'll make it a much easier game to play than XB even though it's probably more intimidating in sheer scope.

I'm glad they've had the presence of mind to do this, alot of open world RPGs don't bother to tailor their movement systems to the scale of the game and ends up eating a large chunk of time just moving from a - b. A robust, arcadey run and jump after Witcher 3 and DA:I is a godsend

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm sadder than I should be that the game called Xenoblade doesn't have a cool rear end sword

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm sadder than I should be that the game called Xenoblade doesn't have a cool rear end sword

Just get a sword manufactured by any of the alien races and by definition you'll be getting a xenoblade.

Incidentally, what is this game called in Japan? Because I know Xenoblade Chronicles was called Monado: Subtitle so I don't think this would follow the same format.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Just get a sword manufactured by any of the alien races and by definition you'll be getting a xenoblade.

Incidentally, what is this game called in Japan? Because I know Xenoblade Chronicles was called Monado: Subtitle so I don't think this would follow the same format.

According to wikipedia XenobladeX or 'Zenobureido Kurosu'

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The series is known as Xenoblade in all regions. The "Monado" title was dropped mid-development, and not used in Japan or anywhere else.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Calaveron posted:

Monado was the first games original name only during production, it got changed to Xenoblade before it was released, that's its name in Japan too.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

IIRC, they renamed it specifically to reference the other xeno- games.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Has there been any class videos? I wanna see if Gun Samurai is cool as it sounds

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Though for some reason "Chronicles" was added in localization. In Japan it's just Xenoblade and Xenoblade X.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Motto posted:

Though for some reason "Chronicles" was added in localization. In Japan it's just Xenoblade and Xenoblade X.

blame the euros

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

According to wikipedia XenobladeX or 'Zenobureido Kurosu'

That's almost a palindrome!

Has there been a video explaining the different classes, preferably done by somebody with a pleasing voice?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i don't think so. one of nintendo's survival guide videos briefly went over the first 3, and the only other thing i've seen is this one that just shows the in-game descriptions of the classes and their base arts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF2YzesZiBo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Another question: I'm getting the game's physical version, and I hear rumblings about downloading some data packs or something to improve performance. What are these? Are they available right now?
And what about DLC? I know that in Japan they had a couple of additional quests, characters and fashion equipment. Will it be the same in the western version? Or are they doing that thing where all DLC is included because why not?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Another question: I'm getting the game's physical version, and I hear rumblings about downloading some data packs or something to improve performance. What are these? Are they available right now?

And what about DLC? I know that in Japan they had a couple of additional quests, characters and fashion equipment. Will it be the same in the western version? Or are they doing that thing where all DLC is included because why not?

You can install ~10-11GB of field/enemy/skell/equipment textures and data onto your system memory to speed up load times, they're listed under DLC for the game, and they can be downloaded now from the game's eShop page.

The Japanese release had four sets of DLC that added characters and their affinity missions to the game. These missions along with the vanity feature are included by default in the localized release.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 28, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I forget what the ability is, but there is literally an ability your character can do that looks like the True Monado before it crashes on the enemy's head.

And technically it's Xenoblade Cross.

Because japan loves X but it doesn't know how to use it properly. Like Gun x Sword is literally "Gun Sword" It's not a loving conjugation!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I forget what the ability is, but there is literally an ability your character can do that looks like the True Monado before it crashes on the enemy's head.

And technically it's Xenoblade Cross.

Because japan loves X but it doesn't know how to use it properly. Like Gun x Sword is literally "Gun Sword" It's not a loving conjugation!

The X makes it sound/look cool!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's a dumb thing but it's not a big dramatic end of game thing, you find it early on which at the very least is a better option than keeping it as some big "BUT REALLY" twist as if it's a huge climax moment. At least that way it's handled early and it's just 'ok, cool, whatever let's move on then'.

We're all synths, apparently because cryogenics is not a thing

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 28, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's pretty unfeasible despite being a common sci-fi trope. Not that Xenoblade X's solution is any more realistic.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

its both, surprise

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Because japan loves X but it doesn't know how to use it properly.

X as a shortcut for "Cross" is valid even in English.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

e:
Xenoblade Chronicles X - Tell me more about these Eastern cultures
Xenoblade Chronicles X - Move out! Deploy that pizza!

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

you may want to spoiler tag that, just in case.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are the data packs already up for download on the US store? They don't seem to be in the EU one.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I watched the Giant Bomb video and what the hell were they thinking with those voices (at 52 minutes in)? Looks pretty cool otherwise but that voice left me speechless.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 28, 2015

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Has there been any class videos? I wanna see if Gun Samurai is cool as it sounds

Here's a video showing all the arts of each class at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF2YzesZiBo

e: woops, someone already posted this

Dunban fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 28, 2015

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Renoistic posted:

I watched the Giant Bomb video and what the hell were they thinking with those voices (at 52 minutes in)? Looks pretty cool otherwise but that voice left me speechless.

If you mean the Ma-Non's voice (the alien thing), that's pretty close to what they sounded like in Japanese. I assume they had someone read the lines normally and then ran it through a filter or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Renoistic posted:

Finally the Alvin and the Chipmunks game we've all be waiting for!

• Locked thread