Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Daynab posted:

The best way to play Xenoblade 1 was to just do the story and avoid all sidequests. The game is already really long and way more interesting when there's no fetch quests.
I don't really mind that the option is there for people who like to grind, though.

Paper Lion, I'll grant you that most of the characters were pretty standard JRPG characters (though I think they were done decently well with a few plot twists) but even you have to agree Dickson was a pretty awesome character?

But if you don't do all the sidequests and meticulously manage all those little social link dealies between people you don't get the full effect when

The High Entia city is hosed and ooohhhh no all these chill folk are dead ohhhh noooo ohhhhh nooooooooooo :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

In the end PC gaming consumes all

If not now then years later, PC gaming shall devour everything, it is inevitable like the endless march of time.

You can buy Putt-Putt Saves The Zoo on steam.

Not so much champ. PC gaming is more or less non existent in Japan. Since the developer is Japanese, you can safely bet your life's savings that they wouldn't consider a PC port even if they weren't tethered to Nintendo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Friendly Factory posted:

True to your username (:v:), you've missed that more Japanese devs are making PC ports every year. It's growing.

I'm aware. It doesn't really change the truth of the market, nor does it make what I said any less true.

It's changing, slowly, but for developers who only give the most token of fucks about overseas markets not any time soon.

Which leads us to the point: Your default assumption with Japanese developers should be "don't expect this on PC soon if at all"

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 15, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Is the AI of Xenoblade 1 known to be really bad?

I'm about 10 hours in and I had been dying a lot and was finding the game very frustrating. I must have died about 30 times on the Dark Kisling fight in the Ether cave. At level 20. Sharla would always die first before I could get a a full block on the party meter, so I couldn't revive her. Then that was it.

Someone on another forum told me to play as Sharla. I didn't know you could do that. I did it and the fight actually became easy. As Sharla, I just ran around the room away from the enemies and did nothing but heal everyone the whole time. It was an easy win. That's what her AI should have been doing. Is there a way to change the AI's strategy or is it just bad and you have to deal with it? Do most people play all the time as the healer?

Most of the time I don't use a healer at all. The odd Light Heal from Shulk is all I need.

As has been said many times, Sharla is a crutch that makes you reliant on Sharla. Her healing and complete lack of damage output drags fights out such that her presence is what causes you to need her in the first place.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I just got Seven.

I made the mistake of putting on the speed equipment. What are you wearing!? :ohdear:

It's frustrating because Speed is pretty much always the best equipment in this case :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

If you're sick of typical JRPG protagonists, I think you'll appreciate Shulk, yeah. Actually, character motivations in Xenoblade Chronicles in general are pretty understandable and Not Stupid. The plot is... all kinds of mindfuck, but in a good way!

Grinding doesn't really happen, since the game vomits EXP at you in the form of dozens (maybe hundreds?) of side quests, and even gives you EXP for exploration. You have no MP; your skills are on a cooldown. There are no inns, or potions. Your health regenerates whenever you're not in battle. You can fast travel to any major location. If you die, you just get sent back to the last Landmark you passed, which will cost you a few minutes of your time. If that.

Oh and also the voice acting is delightfully British and it's the best thing.

Basically yeah, if JRPGs have driven you crazy in the past, Xenoblade is for you!

Sadly the plot is pretty bog standard JRPG for the last third of the game or so. As a WRPG fan you'll probably really enjoy how it mostly subverts your expectations for the genre for a while, only to be sorely disappointed by the ending. It's still really fun overall though.

• Locked thread