Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Doc V posted:

-You can dig through dino dung for items!

And it steams up and shifts about as you dig. True next gen gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

I'd rather they just gut the fetch quests honestly.

Yeah, I'd much rather have exploration quests or monster hunting quests. Quests that make you rely on the RNG to complete are boring as poo poo because killing 50 of the same monster until you get the 3 items you need isn't challenging or engaging at all.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wiimote and Nunchuk by far. They let you move the camera during combat and you can keep your hands super relaxed while playing, which is good since it's a loooooong game.

This must be the first time I've ever seen some recommend the nunchuck.

Use the Classic Controller.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I remember seeing fuel gauges for the mechs in videos, I really hope that isn't as annoying as it was in xenogears. Although maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion, as I haven't played that in...14 years?

Eh, running out of fuel in XG is actually pretty hard to do, even when you're abusing Booster. For the two or three boss battles where fuel mattered however, it really really sucked if you weren't ready.

Hopefully the mechs just run on cooldown periods or something instead of an actual consumable resource.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Microcline posted:

Define "original story". I can pretty much guarantee that this game is going to involve giant robots, goofy monologs about killing God, and a very unorthodox interpretation of gnosticism.

I actually think there re-use of thematic elements works most of the time, like how effective seeing the changes between Citan-Jin-Dunban is, even if it sometimes falls flat (straight-up recycling Fei and Elly's designs in Xenosaga, randomly fighting Maria and Siebzehn in XS3). Sequels/series rarely work because they are bound by continuity and the original is often a completed whole, but it's difficult to exhaust all the possibilities of an archetype with a single game.

Uhhh I dunno about you but fighting Maria in XSIII and snapping her neck over and over was pretty awesome. Almost made up for the Shevat air duct dungeon.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kirios posted:

What about on named enemies? Bosses? I've fought guys even 1-2 levels lower than me that would have likely decimated me if it weren't for Sharla's heals.

Plus I don't really care for Shulk's AI...I got pretty sick of waiting 45 seconds for an Enchant and front-facing Backstabs. Is Riki any good? He seems like he kind of sucks.

You'd be surprised how well you can fare without Sharla. When Sharla's in your party, enemies die much slower, and she makes chain attacks terrible because she mostly has blue moves (you get bonuses for using moves of the same color all in a row). Remove her from your party, and slap all of the "this character heals for X% after a chain attack" skills on your party members. Then focus on doing chain attacks as often as possible. Enjoy.

Riki is one of the better characters, especially for high level bosses. He gets several moves that inflict damage over time (like poison, burning, etc.), no enemy is immune to them, they each stack separately, and if you use them as the fourth or fifth move in a chain attack, the damage over time jumps ridiculously high (over 10k damage per second, depending on how well leveled the skills are). If you're worried about healing, Riki's got a move that'll heal himself and at least one other person.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Does it generally matter what armor classes I put on each character besides thematic/appearance?

For most of the game, light armor is generally better because of the agility bonus, since agility is far and away the most important stat in combat. As the game progresses into the endgame, armor class doesn't really matter because you get better agility bonuses from crafting gems and linking skills. My endgame party was decked out in all heavy armor, Melia included.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

.TakaM posted:

Thanks for all the info guys, does agility speed up the time in between auto attacks?

Agility is your Accuracy and Evasion stats rolled into one. If it's high, monsters will miss you while all your attacks hit. If it's low, monsters will ruin your poo poo while all of your attacks whiff. High agility is a must for fighting monsters that are more than a few levels higher than you. Dunban is often the preferred tank because of his amazing agility, but Reyn makes up for it with his Bone Upper/Dive Sobat combo, so long as he hits with it (lowers enemy agility by 25%. Incredibly effective for endgame superbosses).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Absoloote posted:

Anyone else thinking these characters look like kinda wax-work models of real game characters?

I'm pretty hyped for this game, loved the first one. But I'm a bit worried they've snook in a few too many japanese tropes (racism!!!!!). The game on the Wii felt very accessible and very international in a sense, a bit like the Final Fantasy series.

It's just the natural result of changing the art designers. Xenoblade Chronicles had a team of people who designed the characters, whereas with X we get the artist who worked on Xenogears and Xenosaga. It's pretty disappointing. I really liked the art style of Soma Bringer, and Xenoblade Chronicles featured a fantastic evolution of that style and became something charming and unique. But now we're stuck with the creepy guy who designed MOMO.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Especially since apparently Shulk is going to be in Smash now if I hear the rumors right, it's a little disappointing.

I really hope they are adding Shulk to Smash, because then we'd probably get a XB stage. Fighting on the Bionis while the Mechonis takes giant swings at you (or vice versa) would be pretty awesome.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

A bit slow on the draw there, sport. It is awesome news though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I was doing some sidequests today when I finished the lighthouse one in Eryth Sea and unlocked a new skill branch for Melia. I didn't even know you could unlock skill branches for characters! Are there more, and are they all tied to quests like that? I'd look them up, but I'd like to avoid spoilers for the game. For reference, in the story, I have just defeated muhmkar at sword valley. Or rather, he fell down off the mechonis in his own hubris. I haven't gotten Fiora yet.

Each character has two extra skill branches, and they're all tied to quests that don't unlock until you've got like 3-5 stars in an area. Hope you like sidequests!

On the plus side, the extra branches max out much faster than the normal skill branches. The skills on those branches tend to be kind of broken though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I love that new trailer. A big part of Takahashi's world building style is to constantly impress you with the physical scale of things, and it doesn't look like this game will be any different.

You guys are getting too worried about the plot. Xenogears was his first game, and it got its funding cut, and Xenosaga was conceived as a 6-game clusterfuck. Also, Nintendo is overseeing it all. Just because the sci-fi elements are returning doesn't mean X is going to be a dissertation on Gnosticism, guys. I do hope though that the MC gets lines in battle. I'd be sad to see battle chat go away.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dragon Quest VIII's localization set the localization style for all subsequent games in the series. Maybe the same will be true for Xenoblade, and we'll get British voices despite the game taking place in New Los Angeles.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

-Map on the gamepad shows player location and quest goal areas, also allows fast travel to already visited areas.

I really hope this also lets you find important NPCs related to quests. Finding NPCs was a pain in the rear end in XB.

Junkie Disease posted:

I think we could all do with a DK rap via heropons

XBX needs a Nopon version of the Good King Moggle Mog song.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Is this confirmed? :(

I don't think it's been outright stated anywhere, but I can't really think of any game that both allows you to customize the MC's voice, and gives the MC lots of voiced dialogue in cutscenes. I mean, it'd be kind of waste of resources to record the same dialogue for 20 different people. It's a pretty safe assumption to say that the MC will silent when the plot is happening.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Naming my character Erich Weber and joining Testament.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Saint's Row, Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Monster Hunter

gently caress, I have unwittingly outed myself as someone who has not in fact played any of those games. :smith:

How much cutscene dialogue does the MC get in those games? Do they have actual conversations that show personality, or it is more like a series of one-liners?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

So happy to see that Takahashi noticed that healing by killing made for a way more fluid and enjoyable combat experience than having a dedicated healbot. I'm also excited to get 4 party members. 3 party members has always felt too small and limiting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I want to play as Chu-Chu

• Locked thread