Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They better fix the sidequest and city design in this game, that poo poo especially all the time dependent nonsense was the worst part of that game by a long loving shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It cannot be stressed how bad the sidequest and city design was, especially the fact that you had to do both of those asinine bullshit things to get every characters extra skills

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Louisgod posted:

City design was fine, finding people was a pain in the rear end and could've used a realtime map or something (thank god for the Google sheet somebody put together). The "asinine bullshit" things were completely optional and I think set off the OCD of people that are competitionists to a point where they burned out quick and when they were done said gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU FUUUUUUUUCK YOU.

Locking out critical gameplay features that are arguably better than what is default isn't "completely optional" and you know it

Also just because a lovely bad thing is optional doesn't make it not lovely and bad

Xeno chronicles was a good game, great even, but pretending it was perfect or the best jrpg ever made is flat out dishonest and disingenuous and does nobody any favors, especially because that game had major problems that everyone ignores

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NmareBfly posted:

What are you referring to here, specifically? I did a decent number of sidequests for the first half of the game but didn't finish more than a 1/4 of the 'timed' ones from Alcamoth (which aren't really timed, just locked by plot progression) and I don't think I missed out on anything critical.

The skill trees, which incidentally unlock extra abilities as well on each character, drastically changing their play style

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Louisgod posted:

Any game, and JRPG even, will have those optional, hard to get skills or items that you'll have to work overtime to get but aren't necessary to get to the ending of the game. You ever have to dodge lighting 200 times? Yeah, gently caress that. Didn't need to do it to beat the game though!

Yeah, and it was bad game design then too, because in both cases it isn't hard, it's just horribly tedious

Raising colony 9 to four stars isn't fun, it's just time consuming in an already hugely long game. The ffx ultimate weapons are much the same, just like persona 4's godawful skill inheritance system

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Friendly Factory posted:

Yes, but you said "critical", which none of them are

Critical might've been hyperbolic but only just; in the grand scheme of gameplay flexibility it's much more important than ffx's ultimate weapons and about as important as p4's fused skills

Discounting extra gameplay flexibility as "optional" is just as hyperbolic in the other direction

And in either case it's still bad game design

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NmareBfly posted:

I could be wrong, been a while, but I'm 95% sure you didn't need to complete any of the 'timed' quests to unlock every skill tree? There were enough other quests in the areas to increase your rep.

You don't and you can get Melia's extras just with the post-destruction quests iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tenzarin posted:

Which combination is usually perfered, I pretty much only plan to use it for this game.

Classic controller, preferably pro

• Locked thread