Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Hopefully they make an actually fun game that isn't just an offline MMO with a giant empty map they expect you to explore, the most bog standard characters and plot progression, and a terribly loving crafting side system that takes too many hours of your life for the miniscule rewards it bestows.

Then again everyone else sucked that turd of a game down and came crawling back asking for more so hopes are low on a good, fun xeno game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Because I didn't pay for it, and because judging something before you finish it is bullshit. I finished it. It's the worst RPG in years.

Just play Bravely Default.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

That's the setting more than the plot for one thing and the world being two titans trapped in combat forever is literally the only vaguely interesting thing about the whole game. That gets revealed the moment the game starts, so congrats on blowing your load early xenoblade. I think boys on prom night can hold out longer than xenoblade did.

Absolutely every character's growth and interactions with everyone else and everyone's plot trajectories are so completely bland and predictable that it makes the game even worse somehow. It's one thing to be slogging through something that's bland and unfun, it's another to be forced into a Cassandra like position while doing it all and know how the whole loving thing will end by around 5-10 hours in but being stuck on the plotrails of the obvious storyline.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

TheBystander posted:

Are you honestly complaining about Xenoblade's characters and plot progression, and then recommending Bravely Default instead? As much as I loved BD, its plot was garbage that was about four chapters too long. And Agnes is way more annoying than even the worst character in XB.

Four chapters too long would mean that in your opinion the game should have ended just before the Airy reveal. That tells me that you only have interest in the boring bog standard plots, and as soon as BD took its left turn and started doing interesting things you tuned out. Was it because the game got hard? was it scary because you don't like things that are different? I'd like to know why a games plot kicking into high gear would make you say "this is boring and xenoblade, a game written by somebody that just learned about object permanence, is better."

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

You should note that I didn't hold up Bravely Default as "doing what xenoblade does but better" but simply an RPG recommendation that is more fun than xenoblade. Even independent of any gripes one may have with the plot of BD (and frankly I thought the airy stuff was cool and the Ringabel/journal hook worked pretty well) the gameplay is still just more fun. There are other RPGs I could recommend that are better than Xenoblade though! Then again I think that deep down, even apologists for xenoblade know that they too could recommend games with better gameplay and/or better plot than it, which boggles me as to why they defend it at all.

And Daynab, it probably speaks that I couldn't remember that guy by name and had to look him up. I'd never trusted him because dunban had already been betrayed once so he never stuck to me. rabbit dad dude was the only guy I really liked and that was mostly because his voice actor was good and he was adorable. Plus he was good for that god forsaken crafting system.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Zeratanis posted:

Hi Xenoblade is an amazing game and you should play it as it makes all other games of its type look like a busta. :)

Wonder if Citan 2.0 will be in this game...

FF12 is a better single player MMO than Xenoblade, because you can actually control your entire party and the endgame content is challenging on its own merits, not because you didn't spend 20 hours crafting gemeralds in a furnace.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Daynab posted:

The crafting cool and I spent maybe 1-2 hours on it the entire game. (In fact I had forgotten about it until I looked it up cause you kept mentioning it).

And really, FF12, the game that plays itself in a boring generic world?

The crafting takes way longer throughout the game than just that.

And as for FF12, the game never "just plays itself" because you play preemptively in response to opponent's actions, and that's only if you set it to babbymode. If you'd like, you can go into the options and turn off the party being AI and actually manage everybody's actions. I can happily concede that if you could control your entire party, that xenoblade would have better combat than FF12, but you can't. It's just playing Bop-It with your single bar of abilities and occasionally warning them about poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Louisgod posted:

What "critical gameplay feature" in the skill tree were completely necessary for completing the game? By all means, let me know. They weren't necessary in any way to complete it.

Any game, and JRPG even, will have those optional, hard to get skills or items that you'll have to work overtime to get but aren't necessary to get to the ending of the game. You ever have to dodge lighting 200 times? Yeah, gently caress that. Didn't need to do it to beat the game though!

There's a difference between doing something dumb at your own leisure right before the postgame in order to do slightly higher numbers, and having something be gated behind a time limit that as a player you may not even always be aware of with the reward being 2 entire paths of growth that dictate your entire strategies for the rest of the game. Stop being disingenuous.

• Locked thread