Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I think the team had probably learned their lesson from xenosaga, particularly xenosaga 2. How 3 and, to an even greater extent, blade turned out I think shows that.

Also, just because the name has xeno in it does not have to indicate that it had anything to do with the other xeno games, as the name was kind of a last minute thing done by Nintendo to "honor" Tetsuya Takahashi.

Also interesting to note that originally shulk was going to be a silent protagonist before they changed their mind and went the other direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Kirios posted:

What about on named enemies? Bosses? I've fought guys even 1-2 levels lower than me that would have likely decimated me if it weren't for Sharla's heals.

Plus I don't really care for Shulk's AI...I got pretty sick of waiting 45 seconds for an Enchant and front-facing Backstabs. Is Riki any good? He seems like he kind of sucks.

The great heropon is surprisingly awesome and a good sub for sharla. He has a decent cone heal and has things to cause the party gauge to fill faster, allowing for rapid chain attacks, which with the right skills also heal you in addition to letting you get more of his heal cast if necessary. My party through most of the game was dunban, Riki, and then a focused damage dealer.

I don't really wish the combat was like ff12, but I do wish the ai was smarter about using some abilities, like holding on to a topple ability until I inflicted break so it was easier to knock down enemies outside of chain attacks.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

vaguely posted:

It was originally just going to be called Monado, until somebody decided it would probably sell better if people thought it was part of the Xeno series.

The title was changed to xenoblade by Nintendo shortly before release, according to them dine to "honor" the creator of the game as he was also the mind behind the other xeno games. Most likely it was really done to boost sales though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I need this game.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The nopon isn't an actual party member :( They better have a nopon party member at some point. We need another heropon!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So wait, you guys were expecting them to show a build with some but not all translation inserted? Partial translations can really mess stuff up, in particular with the fact that the new character set overwriting the old one even in places that you haven't translated resulting in pure gibberish.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Francis posted:

The way they talk about the game (like not having an official name for the character classes) makes it sound like localization hasn't made much progress at all, though.

Like, that Dolls are called Skells is the only thing making this any different from some rando streaming an early copy of the Japanese game.

The long part of translating a game is dialog translation(and codex translation for games that have them), which due to gameplay and story segregation can mostly be done in parallel of system translation like class names. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Xavier434 posted:

You guys are talking about some stuff that matters very little considering we just had an awesome direct with 2015 at the end.

This right here. This means I have less than a year to get a Wii U.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I played the first game on dolphin just fine a while back, but now when I am playing using the same version of the emulator and the same computer I am getting horrible slowdown. Tried a newer version of dolphin and it has a higher sustained FPS but will routinely freeze for a few seconds in combat. Any suggestions?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

[_] A lot of patience cause we're horribly behind schedule localizing the game.

You are really hung up on something you are flat out assuming based on your nonexistent knowledge of game localization.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's plenty creepy but it also isn't anything new and probably will not have a large impact on sales. Xenoblade probably sold more poorly than Persona 4 and literally the first thing in Persona 4 is a teenage girl in a bikini.

The original Persona 4 did sell significantly more in Japan than Xenoblade Chronicles, but not as well in the US(we don't have exact US sales numbers of Xenoblade Chronicles because Nintendo didn't release them, but they did say it sold more copies than it did in Japan). Persona 4 Golden, however, completely trounced Xenoblade's Wii + New 3DS sales combined on its own in every region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Motto posted:

I know it's Kotaku, but it echoes most of the impressions I've read on the game here and elsewhere. It seems that the game won't do much to win over people that didn't like the first, and it doubles down on the aspects that fans found weakest without improving them while largely tossing out what people did like.

e: Even the impressions I've read on neogaf from people that actually went to 100% the game sounded pretty lukewarm.

Really this is a game that was never going to do well critically, either from fans or from "professional" reviewers.

For the fans it is a game that could never live up to the hype, plus it seems each person had their own one thing that they think should have been changed from the original but wasn't.

For professionals you will have people like the kotaku guy who doesn't seem to like the style of game if he had the same complaints on the first one, and plenty of reviewers who just seem to not like jrpgs.

• Locked thread