Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So anyway, let's talk music.

Back in ye olde Xenoblade, we didn't have a single composer, but rather a collaborative effort between Yoko Shimomura, ACE+, Yasunori Matsuda and Manami Kiyota. This time, however, we're dealing with someone who I don't believe has ever actually done music for a video game before, Hiroyuki Sawano. He's mostly known from his works in anime, like Gundam Unicorn, Guilty Crown, Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Louisgod posted:

-You die, no game over, you go immediately to your last checkpoint, which generally is a few minutes back
And you lose absolutely nothing. Heck, considering you can get achievements for doing stuff that kills you, you can actually level up by dying.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So, you have to level up your town affinity (or something like it) in X to be able to open some treasure chests lying around.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Are your character levels shared or are you locked in with a party once you get going? Is it fully voice acted or is it in novel form?

Characters not in your party gain like, 90% of the experience you gain. You can freely switch party members whenever you're not in combat, and the game also pauses and lets you change equipment and party members before every boss fight, and in-between phases in longer boss fights. The majority of cutscenes are voice acted, but there are a couple cutscenes that just use text boxes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So speaking of Xenoblade, :frogsiren: YOUTUBE SUPERSTAR :frogsiren: chuggaaconroy is starting up his Let's Play of it (he's going for 100% completion, cripes), and the reason I bring it up here is because he's got thirty copies of the game he's giving away as prizes, with more details on how to win a copy coming soon. So there's that if you wanna try out the game but find it too expensive.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The thing about Xenoblade that is different from basically every other RPG is that the more diversity you have in your moveset and the less focused the character is on one specific thing, the better it is. Riki has access to some good physical and great magical attacks and some ridiculously good support and healing, plus he's got the biggest HP stat out of all the characters, even more than Reyn, so he can absorb a few hits too. Dunban is a better tank than Reyn since it's easy to pump up his agility and just have him dodge everything while still doing awesome amounts of damage... Sharla is easily the worst party member just because she's so laser-focused on healing, she slows down the combat so much that that healing becomes required. That's just my opinion though, I never found much of a use for her, but if you can, great! Do so. Melia is sort of an exception, since even though she does have access to buffs, status ailments, healing, and a sweet Topple combo, you mainly want to use her for MAXIMUM LIGHTNING BOLT.

Basically, once I finally got Riki I experimented a bit, but stuck with Shulk/Dunban/Riki for the rest of the game for maximum hero-power.

Terper fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 16, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

planetarial posted:

- The main character doesn't have a fixed personality, and acts as an avatar for the player. It was felt this was more appropriate to the game's system.

I wonder what this means, exactly. Do they mean how you can use skills from several different classes, so they felt it more right to make the entire character how you want it to be? I guess I could understand that, and I do think some games can make silent protagonists work (Devil Survivor, for example, has plenty of dialogue choices so while it still worked as an avatar for the player, it still gave some more character to the, uh, character), but I'm still really wary about it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Louisgod posted:

They probably mean you can pick from a bunch of pre-made character traits for your avatar ala Monster Hunter's grunts, faces, hair, etc.
Well, I specifically meant the "system" part. Because if it was just what you wrote, then that means they decided on having the protagonist be silent after they made the decision to have you be able to customize her, which seems backwards. So the comment seems more that some gameplay system lends itself better to a blank slate of a character.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUTU4OZrjzY
Shulk's in Smash.

The rest of the gang will also be on New 3DS.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 29, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In one of the very last scenes, (final boss spoilers) right after Shulk gets the Third Monado, and Zanza goes "How can this have happened, you are mere MORTALS! :byodood:" everyone else takes combat stance... except for Riki, who IMMEDIATELY charges straight the gently caress at him. Here's a video link. It's absolutely hilarious and just cements his position as one of the best characters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You're at the point where you should start to bother with gem crafting. If you haven't gotten the portable gem crafter yet, you have to restore Colony 6 a bit.

Affinity is raised by doing quests, helping out each other/timing those b presses during combat, as well as gifting stuff through the collectables menu.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

mabels big day posted:

what the heck does tension do

Straight up makes you better/worse. A character at super low tension will whiff tons of attacks and deal sub-par damage. And reverse for high tension.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Alris posted:

You get there via. the jungle. I want to say the first time through a bridge is out, it'll be repaired when you go there next.

Nah, you have to do a sidequest to repair it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Putting them through Google Translate...

Irina: Full of a sense of mission "Blade" personnel. Private military organization affiliation of "Blade".
In the Earth, has been a member of the integrated government forces special operations vehicle instructor Corps (commonly known as "Doll Corps"), Elma is superior officer at that time.
Even now it has been put into a "Blade" personnel, adores the Elma, you are respected.
It is owner of Sabasaba personality of Otokomasari, but is full of sense of mission to protect the people who live in planet Mira.

VAN DAMME: Commander of the private military organization "Blade".
Previously, I had served as a chief engineer in the interstellar immigrant ship "Moby Dick".
There is a place of outrageously to anyone a Gohorairaku, scratches the mouth is bad is the ball.

By the way, I do like how out of the 6 characters revealed so far, 4* are female, one's a Nopon, and one's a big burly dude named VAN DAMME.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

NTT posted:

If they actually had multiple voice actors do full voice lines for a rpg then :stare:
The main character is silent, the only voice lines are when they call out attacks/other stuff in battle.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sawano pours tons of vocals into his tracks, so that's no big surprise.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Xenoblade, despite being quite open and vast in scope, had a very linear story. Here's what you're doing, here's where you're going, here's why you're doing it, here's how you're going to go about it, but yeah just do it whenever you feel like, bro. And that's very different from what X is setting itself up to be. Which isn't bad, mind you, it will just be a different story told in a very different way. Which might end up being bad, but hey.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The story of Xenoblade Chronicles X will try too hard to live up to the goodwill left by the original Xenoblade, lack an emotional connection to many of the characters, have long stretches of time where nothing really happens and motivations stay the same, and just generally be too unfocused and ultimately unrewarding.

e: Goddamn will it look cool and good while doing it though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sharla, Vanea, Lorithia.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Let's not even for a second make the claim that that's limited to Japanese game development.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Xenoblade Chronicles X breaks new ground, is actually manga, not anime.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think Lyn's and Tatsu's interactions are pretty funny.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

I should put this in the OP and then everyone who reads this thread can forever laugh at you for thinking a Japanese RPG is not going to have Japanese RPG conventions in it. Thanks for posting that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No, Skyrim has party members and you can't have all of them at once.

mods??

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You just go back to the latest quick travel point you were at if you die, you lose absolutely nothing. Also you haven't saved in ten hours??

e: How are you unable to die?? Also Mind Read disappears after like a minute.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's nothing particularly cool missable, but if you do quests around the village you're at, you'll unlock the best Monado art in the game.

You get it by doing the "Protect the Village" quest you get from Eleqa, and then "Stop the Mechon Rampage" that she gives afterwards. She's near the entrance to the village, and you need a bit more than 1 star affinity with the village.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eh, only a little.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't have a problem with the battles looking busy, they did in Xenoblade too when you were new but once the systems clicked it worked fine.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fix posted:

Playing through Chronicles and I just now got to Riki and, though I have this deep down reactionary feeling that I must hate him and not include him in my active party, I don't seem to be able to do that. It's just so dumb funny, this megalomaniacal egg rabbit. I was just getting used to Dunban as lead, and now I've swung 180 degrees and have this dumb poo poo going on and I kinda enjoy it and can't figure out why. It's just so ridiculous.

Pretty cool game.

He's legitimately one of the best party members. He can fit into any slot you'd want him to, ether attacks, physical attacks, healer, tank, status effects... Shulk/Dunban/Riki is what I'd consider the most well-rounded, best team.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

She couldn't sound less interested if she tried. Put some emotion into this, lady, this is humanity's greatest trial!

And Dolls are called... Skells. Huh.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=skell

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's short for exoskeleton, but then why not just call them, I dunno, Exos, Exotons. Hey, that way Xenoblade Chronicles X makes sense, Xotons. Or just Skeletons.

vvv Yeah that's a good one.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's nothing else new here to get hung up on, so. v:shobon:v

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Positive thoughts: I like that, if you make a female avatar, the whole starting crew is all girl power.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Some guy in China got the game and is streaming it. Which means people as a whole might have some access to the game now. If you're the type to be cautious of spoilers, it's time to put your head in the sand for a very, very long time.

You can't just post that and not give a link.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Holy poo poo the voice when he jumps, lol.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This does seem like a pretty good game to just hang around in. Customize everything, go exploring, kill some monster, just mess about.

e: You just clip through cars when you run into them.

Terper fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 25, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Why can none of these streamers put some loving pants on their characters.

It's a rhetorical question, but gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

1, 2, 3, 4

• Locked thread