Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Louisgod posted:

-No dumb JRPG character cliches

I'm sorry but Shulk is only okay until he finds out who Metal Face is. A whole truckload of sense and intelligence he had going for him takes a loving nose dive over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Guess I have to get a Wii U by next year. I need my Space Frontier and good JRPG itch scratched.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

motherbox posted:

I'm about three and a half hours in and I'm pretty sold. Really enjoyed the plot twist of having who I assumed was the love interest drive a big robot and then loving die. For some reason I feel like I'm playing the JRPG equivalent of Mass Effect. Not in the sense that you have (ultimately meaningless) story choices, but more the general atmosphere of an incomprehensible machine invader and loads of side quests and such.

Xenoblade gets a pass only because its legitimately insane and its terrifying if you actually follow and comprehend the plot too much. It doesn't hurt the gameplay at all, but it does take incomprehensible to a location few can successfully pull off.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
As long as the mech combat theme is good I can handle a lack of variety. That feature alone may have made them adjust the budget across other areas such as music.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad Monolith Soft decided to honor a non-existent agreement I broke with them to only buy a Wii U when it was a Xenoblade X bundle by pushing forward at least one release date.:sweatdrop:

Gonna spoil myself silly watching Japanese footage and crying myself to sleep for not being able to drive my mech on an alien anime world.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm hoping for some aliens to put into your party so I can have more variety than anime humans and what looks like the worst :spergin:pon ever. Or at least some age hiking if I can only bring Pizza to alien parties.

Glad they at least decided to put in some camera features to check out the environments from different angles, but I hope it isn't somehow impossible to just play the game on the gamepad.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
To go with the standard MMO boob slider they obviously gave the ladies. At least there are better faces around the bottom that don't look so :downs: as I feared every face in this game would. I can't wait to find every stupid costume this game can come up with.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

At this point S-E's mismanagement over the past few years has been the stuff of legends, FFXV looks like it might be legit good though.

Only question is how much of a freak accident Men driving a Car the JRPG really is at this point. Is there any info on how long X took Monolith to make just to further rub it in the near 10 year mark 15 is around?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I will waste so many hours trying recreate that image in a screen shot, even though the game will likely never let me even come close. Is that some sort of laser gun-sword he's firing off or what?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The only time it swings back to the bad side of JRPG standards is when Shulk finds out who Metal Face is. As insane as the late game will get, that's where the likeable protagonist kind of goes off the deep end of insufferable dumb rear end developing a strange knee-jerk pacifism.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm mad they can't figure out how to make their graphics engine that looks exactly like those pictures as it'd be the best thing ever. At least the robots will look good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

The Taint Reaper posted:

This is a much better battle theme than the original, especially since you'll be blowing poo poo up in giant robots.

It's hard to compete with the predecessor's one when I'm playing the 3DS port, and even now, I'm imagining pulling off a really long chain as soon as the high part hits. But I guess this can fit if you want to think of an X as more Mecha than multifunctional pure action.

But I'm still going to likely make my character Dunban.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Fungah! posted:

yeah just do this, gently caress. she's a tank anyway, if i had to guess i'd probably say that the lovely bikini light armor isn't the gear you want her taking hits in

You must not play many JRPGs or MMOs, as the bikini armor typically is the one with the most ridiculous stats. But if that's the case I'll just rush for the Dunban titan armor speedo and be the best character anyway.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Fungah! posted:

yeah but if you actually went heavy-armor tank, the heavy armor on Reyn was beefy as hell. i mean, maybe the bikini's got the best tank stats in the game, iunno, but somehow i really doubt it

Well what's better than just keeping her in the giant robot so you never have to see her outside of specific cutscenes?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not a mask, but...

edit: beaten

Oh just loving state a western release date already. :negative:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
poo poo takes time to rip and players are probably more interested in fighting giant robot bosses together than compile images of all the armor variants.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Are the rest of the nopon okay or are they all insufferable nerds like Not Riki? Also have the quicktimes changed much or the new affinity boosts just more of the same?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I hate having to wait for December for X.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So the era of Working Designs was the golden age of good video games/JRPGs?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

hubris.height posted:

If you didn't like Lunar and Lunar 2, then you can just see yourself out the door, bitch.

I just want to know how the guy that made that image reacts to me enjoying American pop culture references in Lunar or Vay. Would making goofy 90s jokes be considered HORRIBLE CENSORSHIP now by the people who freak out about slight clothing changes from Bravery Default?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I wish someone could make a game that looks exactly like awesome 70s scifi art, but it's still pretty rad that they drew it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
There was actually mixup at the language department and now all Western version have everyone speaking in Deutsch. Our bad.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
You do know you're talking about Fire Emblem right?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Okay, I appreciate it's not Final Fantasy, but it is a long and ongoing series with a relatively large fanbase for a SRPG, it's certainly bigger than any of PSP/Vita jrpg franchises

Uh no, I mean "keeping it in the family" isn't exactly a new low in a game about shipping and breeding the best child soldiers.

The robots are still cool in X, right? That's really all I care about it besides exploring a new world.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I just want some Wii U robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well this isn't like the original Xenoblade as there isn't much story to spoil outside of a setting that is focused entirely on you making you wander around a single player MMO in with a car robot.

• Locked thread