Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

A bunch of stuff from the demo got translated. Mostly the full battle menu, class names, stats on the weapons, stuff like that. It may or may not be of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think the original Xenoblade could use a re-release, but Nintendo seems pretty focused on what Japan wants. And Japan didn't get a tiny, barely advertised, retailer-exclusive print run of the game, so they don't really need another shot at Xenoblade.

While a HD remake (an HD remake?) would be pretty nice, just throwing the original on the eShop as-is would be fine for getting it into people's hands without them having to deal with GameStop scalping it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think part of the re-release, at least in America, is because the original print run was tiny and GameStop exclusive. So getting it was pretty hard, and now it won't be.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Have they said who your character is? I think one of the treehouses during E3 said that you were just some random schmuck in a pod that Elma found and you can't remember your past. If that's the case, it's pretty obvious that you're single hero who pushed back the alien fleet, and I'm pretty sure that the final boss battle will be jumping in something that is related to the Doll you used to repel the alien attack (patterned after it, made using its parts, or just recovered and refurbished) and finishing the job.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

"Working on the Gundam" series sounds pretty good until you check which Gundam series. "Worked on Destiny" is not really a ringing endorsement, I'm afraid.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

planetarial posted:

There's a five minute offscreen gameplay footage of Xenoblade 3D here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8HNLX7xpeM

I'm not really worried about Kazuho Hyodo contributing to the project, apparently he only did a couple of episode scripts for Destiny so he wasn't responsible for it being a flaming bag of poo poo.

Haha, wow. That trailer is awful. "Hey, what's the best way to show off combat in this game? I know! I'll go gently caress with something twice my level!" :shepface: "Oh poo poo, that didn't work. Let's try something six times my level!" :shepface: "That went poorly, but maybe now I can beat that first guy twice my level!" :shepicide:

It's kind of hard to show what things look like to new buyers when combat consists of "run up to dude, get completely ruined."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I wouldn't say the New 3DS is a completely new console. It's not a Wii -> Wii U situation, I'd call it more Game Boy -> Game Boy Color, or DS -> DSi: there are upgrades in the hardware, and some games can use them, and other games will require them, but they're mostly the same thing. I do agree that the name is stupid, though, and would have gone with 3DSi. It sounds different from the old machine and doesn't have the "could lead to some Who's On First bullshit" problem.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It sucks that the main character won't be doing a lot of talking, but that's just one of the costs of letting you do your own character like that. Saint's Row let you pick a voice and your character then talked, but they only had six voice actors in 2, and I think seven in 3 and 4, and there weren't all that many cutscenes where the Boss was talking.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Saint's Row 2 has three male voices and three female voices. Saint's Row 3 has three male voices, three female voices, and Zombie. Saint's Row 4 has three male voices, three female voices, and Nolan North.

And while Astro Nut beat me, I'm posting this anyway, 'cause I remembered the Zombie voice. :colbert:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

To be fair, the reason Sony and MS didn't carry over their previous-generation purchases is because the system architecture is so different that it doesn't have backwards compatibility.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, there sure seem to be a lot of party members, and they all seem to have their own plots, if I understand the video correctly? This game seems to get bigger with every video they release, I swear.

I'm slightly disappointed with the weapon variety though. It's kinda weird too, since Gunban seems to use sniper rifles, but they're not an option for the created character?

I'm pretty sure that even if you can't use sniper rifles yourself as a Drifter (the starting class), one of the later classes you can use unlocks the ability to use them yourself.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I was expecting Dolls to be covered in this video. All I know so far is from the exploration video and Treehouses and stuff, which is "Dolls move faster and some can transform," and "when in a fight, Dolls have bigger stats, but aren't precise enough to target specific body parts." Now, if that means you can't pick a body part to break but it may still get broken from random damage or if you cannot contribute to part breaking is a thing I don't know. What I don't know is how you get them and if/how you customize them, but I had no idea there would even begin to be enough for an entire video on their own.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I have no source other than dim recollections, but I think the projected release date for the English version is Summer 2015.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Remember how the video from the stream got subtitled, and it was just a v1? The v2 is done. You need to be quick with the pause button to get some details on the arts, and you can see a minor bit about what the classes do, but the major bit of information that you couldn't have gotten from the v1 comes at about seven minutes, when they go over Soul Voice. The relevant part being, as far as can be gleaned from the video, that there are various trigger conditions for Soul Voices (HP below 60%, you break an enemy part, you get knocked out, poo poo like that), and you can pick one of three things to happen when you do it. For example, you can set it so that when you open with a ranged attack, you can get +50% ranged damage (no, I don't know duration), +1 level on Support Arts, or +1 level on Debuff Arts and a guaranteed debuff.

One minor thing that I saw later on, at about 22 minutes when you're being told about Devices (which as stated elsewhere, are basically Gems from the prior game), one of the menu options was "Change Fashion." Does this mean you can get cosmetic armor slots? So you can look like you're wearing the sweet-rear end robot arm parts but get the stats from something else? Or maybe it's just a color change. I'm also curious what "check common" means, but I guess we'll have to wait and see on that one.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Is there any implication of something special about Overed monsters, or is it just "yeah, they've got names and huge stats and will wreck your poo poo if you aren't careful, so treat them like the boss fight they basically are"?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The only important thing I can remember about "I'm going to do all the side quests before loving with the plot" is that if you only have two people in your party, just go advance the plot until you get the third. You won't have to have just two people for long, and getting that third really helps. I can only think of two points where you have less than a full party and a chance to do side quests, though.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It keeps saying that Spare Weapons are "quickly recharging," but the recast times I see on the stat screen are usually 20 to 40 seconds, which is about the same as the other subweapons. They seem to recharge at a pretty good rate in a fight, though, so there's that.

I also noticed that all of those fights took about two hundred fuel. Now this will be different for different weights, of course, because bigger Dolls have bigger tanks but use more in transit, so combat is a proportionally smaller amount of the tank, but off the top of my head, it looks like a Formula is going to be able to handle 30-40 engagements on a full tank, depending on how much flying you do and how extravagant you get with the various mounted weapons. The fact that fuel regenerates when you're dismounted and you can buy more (at an extravagant price, but it's an option) leads me to believe that Dolls are a good "hm, this might be a little tough" option, and not "OH GOD PULL OUT ALL THE STOPS" tier. Of course, the player party was also way higher level, so who the hell knows.

There was also some part breaking going on in there. The first enemy got its knees shot out, and it looked like those could be specifically targeted. I guess Dolls can do part breaking against enemies of the right scale, which makes sense, since there are enemies in the game that are pretty clearly meant to be Doll-scale encounters, and it'd suck if you couldn't break them.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The only bit of information that I really want but don't know how to get at this point is "just what do the six different class do?" I am assuming that the sword/rifle class is going to be generic DPS/tank kind of thing, the shield/gatling class is going to be the tank. Dual gun/dual blade and javelin/sniper are going to be more DPSy, but gently caress if I know the distinguishing characteristics. If I had to guess, and I pretty much do, I'd say the dual wielder goes for lots of hits, and the javelin/sniper goes for big hits. I think the Forcer that turns into knife/beamgun (or keeps it, since that's what Forcers use anyway) is going to be buffs, and the photon saber/psycho launcher class is going to be debuffs.

But that's mostly just guessing and poo poo, I have no idea. v:v:v

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think it's perfectly fair to see "and here's the DLC pack" and have misgivings. The industry has bent over backwards to make "DLC" a dirty phrase, after all. However, while I don't know how much of a grip on the reins Nintendo has at Monolith, I am reasonably sure that the DLC they throw down for Xenoblade X will not be bullshit. I will not say without qualification it will be good, but it's more likely than not, and if nothing else I expect that it's going to be a satisfyingly large and/or interesting chunk of content for the price.

The armor for Lyn in that screenshot is actually really close to being good. It just needs a shirt under the jacket.

Is anybody streaming this who took the Forcer path? I want to see those in action, but everybody's going down Assault or Command trees. And my desire to see Blast Fencer/Galaxy Knight (the photon saber/psycho launcher class) is in mild conflict with my desire to not get story spoilers, and I don't know how far in you'd be before you could realistically get those classes. I already saw a really huge spoiler and I wish I hadn't. :(

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The cosmetic armor option is locked behind NG+ (or DLC), for some bizarre reason.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Is that Elma as Wels-tan?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

mechs are super fuckin expensive, and you don't even get one until like level 20, something like 10-15 hours into the game or something? also if you destroy your mech in combat, and you havent bought insurance, gg. you have to rebuy the whole loving thing.

mechs have fuel, and you can rebuy fuel, but it seems to slowly regen while in a city.

The mechs are indeed expensive as gently caress, but that's not quite how insurance works. When you buy one, if it gets blown up, you have to go repair it. You're given insurance so that you don't have to pay the first two or three times, I forget which, but after that you have to pay a very hefty repair bill. Hefty as it is, however, it's cheaper than buying a new one. I don't know if you can purchase more insurance, but I'm pretty sure you can't.

The fuel does regenerate, but it's when you're dismounted, not when you're in a city. It regenerates slowly because the intent is that you can jump in your robot for big fights, and if you use it sparingly then they should be able to run for a good long time between having to buy more fuel, which is expensive. The problem is that you can do something called Catch: the target can't move or attack and allies can't miss, kind of the robot-scale equivalent of Topple. When you do this, you regenerate fuel very quickly. So fuel can be a concern in a fight, but in the long haul shouldn't be too much of a limiting factor. This leaves aside things like "stand in a safe spot and leave the game running overnight" type poo poo, but I don't think they were willing to expend the effort required to prevent that kind of thing.

quote:

there's a focus mode thing that does...something. slows time and you can do more damage??

I don't know what this one is. It's either using the Overclock Gear (Overdrive Gear in the official translation, I think?) which makes all your poo poo recharge faster and you hit harder and assorted other bonuses, or Cockpit Mode which triggers randomly and instantly refreshes all weapon cooldowns.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

This game has some pretty big spoilers in it too, and I wound up learning them while watching some streams shortly after the game's Japanese launch. Whoops! Oh well.

The funny thing is that for the longest time, I knew what was probably the game's biggest spoiler, and I've seen the final boss being fought, but I don't know things like "so what the hell do the classes do." Which was the information I really wanted. I know that you have Fighty, Rogue, and Caster, and Fighty becomes More Fighty or Tanky, and Rogue becomes More Rogue and something with spears and snipers, and Casty becomes More Casty and something with loving laser swords. But beyond that? I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks and find out anyway. :shrug:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The video and spreadsheet tell me all the stuff I actually wanted to know but nobody playing a stream ever went into. Thanks!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Renoistic posted:

I watched the Giant Bomb video and what the hell were they thinking with those voices (at 52 minutes in)? Looks pretty cool otherwise but that voice left me speechless.

If you mean the Ma-Non's voice (the alien thing), that's pretty close to what they sounded like in Japanese. I assume they had someone read the lines normally and then ran it through a filter or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

You can use the Arts from classes you've mastered, but since they're weapon specific, you also need the ability to use those weapons. So if you're using an Assault Rifle art you learned as a Drifter (weapons: knife and assault rifle) on a Samurai Gun (weapons: sword and assault rifle), you're fine. But you can't use a knife based one, because you can't use knives as a Samurai Gun. But once you master Samurai Gun, you can equip swords and assault rifles as any class, so if you want to carry a sword and use Burning Blade as a Full Metal Jaguar, hey, have at it.

You can switch classes, Arts, and passive abilities pretty much whenever you want. I don't know if you can do it while you're in combat, but I don't think it'd be unreasonable for that to not work.

You can switch Division whenever you want at Blade HQ, but it costs in-game money. You have a bunch of different resources you can spend, but I am talking specifically about money you spend at stores, not Miranium or whatever. The more popular the Division you're switching into, the more you have to spend.

• Locked thread