Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Anything from TGS on this game? I found an article that touted a release date, but it turned out to be bullshit :negative:

Nintendo doesn't do TGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm still pretty surprised at the idea of Xenoblade being on a handheld. Aside from graphical and framerate stuff, are there really no other compromises like needing to add new loading screens?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Saint's Row, Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Monster Hunter

Out of those five, only the Bioware ones have the MC talk a lot, and I think the only voice differences in those are male/female.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't seen much stuff that he's worked on, so it doesn't bug me. Most non-XBX exposure I've had is hearing a few UC tracks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I like how a whole section of the stream was dedicated to "this game is loving big".

edit: As a member of the military exploration team, discovery of Superb Views is critical.

edit 2: Also, even though there's so much focus on the Dolls, I have the sinking feeling that they'll be the sort of thing you get technically early in the game, but still annoyingly long into the game if you're really itching to get in one. Hopefully joining the group that either uses or produces them will let you get a license quick.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 9, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Of "things in videogames worth getting pissed off about", I think an initial trailer that predates the game even having a title showing things that don't end up in the final game is pretty low on the list. poo poo, that's even pretty low on the list of "misleading JRPG marketing" for 2015 with Tales of Zestiria out there.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Average Bear posted:

I think the mechs are pretty stupid but yeah the gameworld looks really awesome. Hopefully the character models are the only weak part of the game. They kinda were for XC too.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 13, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's kind of funny because the first game reached peak JRPG on its own.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Chaltab posted:

You'd think a game set in and around in Neo Los Angeles would not be all that anime.

Having a setting called "Neo ___" is anime as gently caress.

edit:
I still have no idea what "anime" means as an adjective.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think the characters really make particularly unusual decisions in Xenoblade. It really just does seem to be the accents that make people go "This is completely different!"

Considering that I've seen people on SA argue about whether Persona 4, the JRPG about quirky highschoolers fighting monsters with superpowers with dating sim elements, is anime, it just comes down to "if I like it it isn't anime".

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 14, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

sharrrk posted:

anime owns, in my opinion

edit:
I wonder how different models of mechs will work. They've shown a few of them in trailers, so I wonder if there's any player-decided customization, or if it's just something like "there's a red one that looks like this and has this weapon", "there's a yellow model that has this weapon", etc.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 14, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Could we not do this? Because this thread is heading in a really dumb direction that has nothing to do with Xenoblade.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure that Transformers is literally anime.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Better translation of the recent stream; also has translations for menus, ingame cutscene subtitles, and NPC dialogue.

http://youtu.be/kjTzuqyQZlc

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

They definitely have some different teams out there. Their DS/3DS stuff usually keeps getting pumped out while they make Wii/Wii U stuff. Those handheld teams probably aren't all that big though and I doubt they focus too hard on it because it's usually nowhere near the level of their console stuff. Except Soma Bringer, but that was Takahasi.

Yeah, they have multiple teams. Junkie Disease's post about working conditions is in reference to this article on Monolith Soft's Kyoto Office, which opened in 2011, is made up of about 30 members, and is comprised of mostly artists working on Monosoft titles as well as other Nintendo games.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/05/monolith-softs-new-kyoto-studio-sounds-like-a-great-place-to-work/

edit:
Coincidentally, there's actually a section involving a former SE employee.

quote:

Background designer, Subaru Genbe, who had previously worked with Square Enix is one of the new members who joined Monolith Soft’s Kyoto office, last year. Genbe who has lived in Tokyo for a long while, has always been a fan of Monolith Soft and decided to change his job in order to be able to work with them and Nintendo.

“Playing and having fun is the most important part. It’s the key to bringing out the fun in graphics,” says Genbe, as he explains that those are the deep feelings they share at Nintendo, which he has learned since joining. According to the designer, he has also learned to put his time to better use, thanks to the results of the appointed weekly hours.

“When the work starts to overflow, the leader immediately reviews the schedule accordingly. I spend my weekends on hobbies and polishing my skills using ZBrush at home,” Genbe explains, addressing how the lenient schedule has been a great benefit, by providing him with free time to relax and brush up on his abilities as a designer.

edit 2:
Actually, come to think of it, Nintendo seems to be really good at giving teams direction and a good workflow in general. Apart from Monolith Soft, Retro Studios was also reportedly kind of a mess before they were acquired by Nintendo and turned into the dev that created the great Metroid Prime and new DKC games. Silicon Knights also produced a well-received game, Eternal Darkness, while working with Nintendo, but then fizzled when it came to later solo ventures.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 15, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

To be fair, I don't know if there's really that much crunch when it comes to AC. Ubi has a ridiculous number of people working on those games to get them made as quickly as they are. Though considering how Unity released, who knows.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've heard of plenty of cases where iOS games are broken on current firmware.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't get why these streams are JP-only. Maybe we'll get one that goes over all of this stuff a few weeks before the English release?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The party member stuff is pretty interesting. I'm guessing MC/Lyn/Elma/Tatsu are the ones who are always around in cutscenes and stuff, and then there are secondary party members who matter in the plot but aren't always around/cutscene relevant, and then optional minor members you get through guilds/quests who have their own sidestories, but are just warm bodies if they appear in main story scenes.

edit: Really pumped that Doll-stuff is evidently expansive enough to get its own stream. Have they said how many streams there will be in total? I'm expecting at least a fourth on online play.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 7, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

every xenoblade chronicles is the worst in the series

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fungah! posted:

also lol at saying this'll be anime melodrama and that xenoblade wasn't

xenoblade wasn't anime dad, gently caress

*kills god with magic laser sword and titty robot girlfriend and round furball mascot to recreate the world that was made by false science god*

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Monosoft under nintendo has a different development process than they did under SE and Bamco. I won't guarantee that it's going to be great, but no way in hell will it be a xenogears or xenosaga-type mess.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This thread is more pessimistic than the FF thread is on XV lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

anime is blood

Fungah! posted:

You don't have to do any weird logical contortions to justify liking anime poo poo
the early stages of the vita thread were great for those

before they embraced the anime

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm expecting that you'll be mostly doing yes/no stuff while the party does a lot of the emoting. The MC won't be much of a standout, but I feel that they're going for more of a "you are just one part of the group that's working to fight aliens and survive on this planet" vibe rather than "you're the one special guy who can change the world with the help of your buddies", so it could work.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

While I didn't really care for P3 when I gave it a try, I like it and P4's soundtrack and really liked TWEWY, so I'm all for silly lyrics in the soundtracks to my japanese anime games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kill la Kill and Gundam Unicorn. Nothing to do with Persona aside from sharing silly english lyrics.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Is there any way to guarantee a weather change if a monster only appears during a storm?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not sure how I feel about the Soul stuff. Customizing conditions and resultant effects could be interesting, but Soul Voice being "do what the game tells you to do to get bonuses" bugs me.

e: One of the Dolls is a bunny!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

They might be taking the "offline MMO" approach to a whole new level, where instead of just having combat mechanics like one, it'll look/sound and have about as deep of a story like one, too. Seriously, the game so far looks like a directionless MMO sandbox than an actual story driven experience like chronicles was and also has absolutely no traces of any of the vibes of that game, so unless they've basically been keeping 95% of the game's story a secret all this time, I dunno where it's supposed to go.

It really does look like some Phantasy Star Online 2/Monster Hunter type deal except it plays like XC and you get to pilot Gears Dolls during normal missions I guess. Don't get me wrong, I'll still get it day one and it'll probably be quite decent, but it's quite clear it will not recreate the magic of the original Xenoblade.

They haven't really focused on progression structure at all, so I wouldn't worry about that yet. They showed a story trailer at one of their E3 presentations, but since then all these streams have been about gameplay mechanics. As far as story goes we've only seen the beginning and some of the character introductions.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Man, I want to see footage from the localized version so bad. Shame we'll probably be waiting on that until fall/winter.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Can't wait for the doomsaying if the amazon.jp rating gets bombed with 1's for some silly reason like it tends to be.

e: Or like when people were getting ready to write off DKTF in the WiiU thread a while back when the first review was "good, not great".

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm legitimately expecting people to react like that to FE14 if it doesn't have a marriage system.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I like it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There won't.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Calaveron posted:

It comes out in some 10 days, right? Gonna be real hard to remain unspoiled until it comes out here :smith:

JP release date is the 29th, so eight days from now. Plus people here and there might get copies a day or two early like they do over here.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not that Famitsu matters much, but apparently the review for XenobladeX is out and it got a 8/8/9/9.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I guess, but like I said, it's Famitsu. Their idea of a 40/40 is FFXIII-2 and JoJo ASB.

Main complaints from the 8s were cutscene length and "a lot of details about the game system are left unexplained, leaving me with an impression of having to blindly stumble through things myself." Which coming from a game reviewer could just mean not enough handholding for them, since Xenoblade had good tutorials, only forcing the basics on you and letting you delve into them deeper at your leisure.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 23, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Champeenship posted:

A Direct/Treehouse Stream has been announced for this game for Friday 11am Pacific/2pm Eastern.

Wonder what that means about the release date. People were speculating Fall/Winter for the NA release, but game-specific directs usually only happen close to release.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://youtu.be/YSgf283mmd4

Stream in ~30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Running around and jumping on and off poo poo looks fun. Did the jump ever do much in Xenoblade? I can't recall anything other than it looking goofy.

• Locked thread