Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
if you want lyrics that make sense in english you should probably not be playing jrpgs at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

every time i see edits of this comic it's always about something really loving stupid.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Suaimhneas posted:

I'd like to hope that the average Japanese person on the street thinks that sexualising children is gross too, and stuff like this is just the result of soulless marketing robots deciding that horrible shut-ins are a lucrative market

congratulations, you've solved the mystery.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
someday i'll be able to put my skell in a swimsuit...

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Louisgod posted:

Auughh that poo poo sucks.

please tell me you're not actually this upset that people from anime space los angeles don't all have british accents.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

But how will I enjoy a game if it doesn't have bad British accents like XBC or DQ8 guys? :qq:

cor blimey... :yikes:

i'm not saying the british voices are bad, but some people have just gotten weirdly overly-attached to them.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
you've seen one scene you giant baby.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

hubris.height posted:

did you not see what video I was responding to?

oh. no i thought you were responding to the xenoblade x scene. sorry about that.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
as someone who's only passingly familiar with the original xenoblade, i'm not sure what you guys find so special about the plot and characters. hero chosen by magic sword gets hometown wrecked by bad guys, so he sets out to get revenge with the help of big dumb guy, old mentor guy, noble princess, and cute mascot character.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

kalensc posted:

Well, while nothing you said is inaccurate, it's a very unfair way of summarizing the game because it strips away everything that made it feel like a revelation after the JRPG slump of the PS3/360/Wii generation.

It struck a very nice balance between being too predictable and too ridiculous in terms of character development and plot, and it had some refreshing little twists along the way. The characters were genuinely likable and the writing was fairly strong for their banter, and most of them actually developed during the game in terms of personality. I think what I enjoyed most was there were a lot of moments when you expected something cliché to happen, and then even took one step in that direction, and that swerved into something far more realistic.

Simple example is early on Shulk is starting to realize he has an affinity to the magic sword and can foresee danger, and wonders if he should tell anyone about it and at first thinks "nah, it'll scare people". Your instinct is "ah poo poo, not the terrible trope where no one shares any information with each other even though it would solve so many problems, grooooan". Then a minute later Reyn notices that Shulk is not focused and forces him to spill the beans, and it sets up a far more satisfying cutscene later in the same dungeon. A great moment between the characters on its own, and it shows rather than tells us that they have a genuinely deep friendship and history together, and it avoids the ridiculous issue of characters not sharing secrets during a life-or-death journey.

I'm not saying it deserves awards for incredible achievement in writing, but after a bunch of lackluster Final Fantasies and a few other disappointing games it was quite the breath of fresh air in JRPGs.

that's kinda my point, the good stuff is all in the details that you don't really get until you play the game, but people in this thread are making sweeping generalizations based for the most part on trailers and half-hour demos.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

Or maybe they have watched several hours of gameplay watching the Japanese play the full version on twitch? Good VA wasn't going to save this poo poo game.

most of them probably don't understand japanese though.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Good JRPGs stopped after the PlayStation 2.

I said come in! posted:

Also Bravely Default is the best 3DS game.

???

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Both Paper Marios came out in that timeframe so he's right there.

The 3DS line up must be dire if a JRPG is topping things tho

jfc

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Well one game in that entire time is not a good trend, nor does ti say that jrpgs as a genre is still good.

jrpgs as a genre is still good.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Suaimhneas posted:

The World Ends With You is good for the first two thirds of the game and then turns into unplayable trash, Beat can just go to hell

what even the gently caress

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

december 4th. :toot:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Doug Dinsdale posted:

3. Not really. Your character doesn't talk. (It's like the horribly bland and generic White Knight Chronicles that way.) You don't get to be Shulk--you're basically along for the ride while the white-haired girl gets all the praise.

people who complain about this are morons because like 90% of voiced jrpg protagonists are either whiny and obnoxious or even more bland than a silent blank slate.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i disagree, but then again i have an imagination.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
jrpg protagonists should be seen and not heard.

also this protagonist is customized, so i'm pretty sure it's supposed to be "you".

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

Except for you know...Shulk who was actually pretty great at least for the English version.

shulk's always seemed pretty generic to me, actually.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Rabelais D posted:

I'm sorry but "creepy kid who likes blood and magic and...blood magic!" is a terribly infantile line.

this is an even more infantile line.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
because of those bastards at 8-4, we missed out on such deep characterization as cordelia complaining that her boobs are small.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nowi is awful but she's also a massive outlier and not important to the game, you can literally walk her and Gregor into a horde of enemy units and forget she ever existed.

wow, what the gently caress?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

lets hang out posted:

i for one can't wait to hear the same VAs who dub every other anime game talk about skells for like a hundred hours

this, but unironically.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Terper posted:

Some would

wowza :eyepop:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Doug Dinsdale posted:

the jailbait girl

thanks for sharing.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Motto posted:

Apparently the new Gameinformer has an article on the game, which states that the DLC characters will be included in the base version of the localized game.

Though when I found the scan people were saying that there must've been a typo, claiming the correct character count is 16 recruitable characters discounting Elma and Lin.

Motto posted:

Skell fanfiction

i like everything about this.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Junkie Disease posted:

https://twitter.com/yuichiro_takeda/status/645478451881750529
"英語圏の人は、「my waifu」という言い方するけど、なんで「my wife」でも「mai waifu」でもないんだろう……?"
Oh no.
Hes the writer of Xenoblades.

do you have something against waifus, fucker? you're in the wrong part of town.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
anyone who wants to get rid of the face-touching in fire emblem fates will have to go through me first.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I get it's a financial issue due to shrinking markets etc, but it's a shame the series has gone from something you could reasonable let a pre-teen kid play unsupervised to actively baiting horny otakus

the overtly sexual lines will be toned down in the localization, so your parents won't have to worry.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i dunno, if i were stranded on an alien planet i could probably go for some pizza.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Louisgod posted:

I'm buying this loving game the day it comes out for $48 and am going to play the poo poo out if it and if you don't then you can gently caress right off.

i'm glad to see you've finally welcomed the anime into your heart.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifvuPEOWc6I

gently caress you.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

You seem to misunderstand me friend, I think the Xenoblade Chonricles was literally the best video game soundtrack ever. XCX's OST is a loving abomination that I hope I can turn off when I attempt to play this game.

yeah that. gently caress you for that.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
if you don't love japanese people singing in english then this isn't the game for you. this isn't the world for you.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
etrian odyssey iv

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Baal posted:

Yo these males voices for the CAC are pretty good, especially Silverstein and Diskin. Howden's always good too, but I already listened to his voice for a whole game and he won't be yelling attacks from the rear position in this I'm sure.

where can i hear these?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i will make the character look like myself because that is the closest i will ever come to becoming an anime.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Louisgod posted:

They don't have a fat slider and even if they did it doesn't go that high

why are you even still posting here?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
they're under dlc. and yeah the digital version has them by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
the digital version is supposed to have the packs included with it, and i was able to install it. probably wouldn't work if you have any other big digital games though. i was just barely able to fit it with splatoon.

• Locked thread