Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, though I did try and complete the collectopaedia because I never got the hang of the gem crafting system and the gems you got from it would get you through till the endgame. Plus you only needed one of anything, as opposed to a half dozen (those makna mushrooms can rot in hell).

Much as I would have preferred a npc finding chart or a place where they tended to hang out if you have a quest to turn in (so much time wasted in Frontier Village before I realized npcs tended to do more than hang out in one area:negative:, thank god for the affinity chart showing what times they are active though, even if it took me seventy hours to realize it). Still, most of the sidequests are designed so that you take in twenty of them and just sort of explore and do stuff as you go without any rush. If you're doing quests one at a time and not just sort of keeping them in the back of your mind you're going to have a whole lot less fun. I just wish they didn't hide two Monado arts behind sidequests though, that was complete bullshit.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

I just got to the big snowy area in Xenoblade 1. First of all, what the gently caress is this camera :( I've already accidentally fallen off a cliff and died. Second, what's the best thing to do once you enter a new area? I usually replace the more outdated pieces of my equipment with vendor crap and then go after enemies to grind for better equips, but that's usually an uphill struggle since things can kill you pretty easily if they're white or above.

Third, I like maining Melia. Her play style fits me the best. I can't figure out a good party to use her with, though. I know that I need one tank and one healer to not immediately get destroyed, so I usually roll Sharla and Dunban. Melia doesn't really do high DPS, though, so I lag behind on damage which I don't with Shulk. Is there a way to get aggro off of Melia, keep everyone's health up, and still do damage in a timely manner if I'm using her? Basically, what's her strategy?

Melia has a bunch of oh-poo poo options for when she draws aggro like Shadow Stitch, Hypnosis and Reflection. Roll with your favourite summons (I like lightning, copy, earth and fire myself. Earth is good for chain attacks because of how the multiplier affects Damage over time and Lightning is your bread and butter for Melia's damage). Melia is also really REALLY good with chain attacks because she can use her talent art three times(!) which can lead to some massive chains, which is why I like using her with characters that build party gauge like Riki, Dunban or Shulk (she goes really well with Reyn too). Sharla can do alright in chain attacks with the right setup but you need to put some real thought into it- get headshot and her break art so she can do attacks of the same colour as your physical characters and you'll see some really bitchin numbers. Not to mention that spear break/Starlight kick is probably the best forced topple in the game if you can spare the art slots. A party with Melia should not be conservative, you should be murdering your enemies before they can lay a finger on you. Try ditching Sharla for Riki, Shulk or Reyn (Riki and Reyn being my suggestions but I'm not the one playing) and you will carve a bloody swathe through the mountains. :black101:

e: also her purple attacks that she can use when her talent bar is full are pretty good. Mind Blast is a lot of fun to use.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 4, 2014

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Most of the time I don't use a healer at all. The odd Light Heal from Shulk is all I need.

As has been said many times, Sharla is a crutch that makes you reliant on Sharla. Her healing and complete lack of damage output drags fights out such that her presence is what causes you to need her in the first place.

Agreed. Sharla is good for bosses and fantastic for a lot of uniques uniques (and overall good if you gear her more towards support with a few healing and offensive arts instead of healing all the way, which is super redundant). Most overworld stuff though she's an active detriment that sort of makes the game less fun. You need to know when to use any given party, and there's nothing stopping you from experimenting given how little dying sets you back.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Supercar Gautier posted:

Theoretically they could still give anyone not from Earth a British accent. But yeah, the game will probably be localized by NOA and they'll be pulling from their American casting resources.

But the trailer revealed that there are Nopon in the game, and it would be weird and disappointing not to have British-voiced Nopon.

I am so willing for ridiculous American accent nopon, you have no idea :colbert: Jersey, Boston, Texas, New Orleans whatever, the more the better. Nopon Breaking Bad will be even more glorious if they talk like prohibition era gangsters.

e: They had better still have nopon drug rings, that was the best thing in a game full of best things by a country mile.

Oh, and does anyone have a good way to hike up affinity other than showering people with gifts and swapping around the party while accepting quests? I like to vary my party for variety's sake and late game gets sort of cumbersome if you don't have good affinity. I'm replaying and am at Makna forest right now, so any tips for mid game and level 80 or so for my post-game file would be much appreciated.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 9, 2014

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Thanks! Mostly I just wanted to get Seven to a decent level of affinity, since she joins so late in the game compared to everyone else I've got everyone sort of lukewarm about her.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
You need landmarks (ie places you can warp to, secret areas included) as well as locations (or whatever they're called)- as an example, in Eryth Sea you can find all of the warpable locations without going to locations like some of the hovering isles or shores below, and so your map won't be complete. Both pop up with fanfare and give you EXP though, so you'll know when you find them.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
If it makes you feel better, I find that the boss you just beat is the worst in the whole game, barring Telethia who put up a Soul Read aura when you don't have enough of a monado gauge to use Purge even with Battle Soul (:argh:)

The good news is that several of the enemies in that dungeon drop some of the best weapons on the game, depending on your build, and that continues into the next dungeon; be sure to explore thoroughly, there are some Zelda style chests when you screw around with a setpiece!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Clearly it's for the sake of game balance. Can't have a Brave New World storyline when a native is winning fights by himself.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Here's some gameplay and the music in it is pretty good (no vocals either, no idea if it has spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ZMXPK8M-g

Oh man, you have an option to sprint after a while, that's fantastic. As nice and chill as it was to just wander around Bionis it was a little slow without wasting precious gem slots. And that music is pretty great, so I have a lot more hope for the overall soundtrack now. Besides, Persona 3/4 have given me a healthy tolerance/appreciation for English lyric battle music; it seriously grows on you after a while.

e: also

sharrrk posted:

this song owns what the hell are you talking about

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Huh, 16 makes more than double the playable characters of Xenoblade: how are the characters in this game, does anyone know? Like I know the plot of this game is thinner but apparently there are character-specific quest chains in lieu of heart-to-hearts and I've seen those done decently in other JRPGs. It's not like plot importance is a prerequisite to being a good character anyway, look at Riki. Come to think of it, how do they play compared to the specific-strengths-but-fairly-versatile-roles party members of Xenoblade?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Did the boob slider apply to male characters as well? This is important.

e: loving garbage and I'm glad its gone then

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It breaks my heart that they have Joseph Joestar but without the cheesy accent.

• Locked thread