Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Locking out critical gameplay features that are arguably better than what is default isn't "completely optional" and you know it

None of those extra skillsets are critical in the slightest. The game is crazy easy even without them.

They definitely do need to improve the quest system from Xenoblade though, an actual working quest compass and a much, much better town map that shows you where NPCs would be good for starters. Adopting a system like GW2 or Wildstar where you can just turn in fetch quests from wherever you are would be even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

So in X, do we have any idea yet if the protag is going to be completely silent ala a generic MMO character, or if it will be voices with a semi-set personality like a Bioware game? The early trailers made it look like it was the former.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Literally the only non-anime thing about Xenoblade was that it has European voice acting in the English release.

But the developers gave you the option of adjusting the size of your PC's breasts so all of their credibility is GONE. :mad:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Every time I see that new Nopon PC I can't help but laugh. He's just so great.

I hope they put up a bigger version of that image, it's real cool.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 13, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm mostly wondering how they are going to handle the character development and story of this one, what with having a create-a-character protag now. I wonder if they will put more weight on the supporting cast to carry things, or lighten the amount of story or character development in general? Or go the Mass Effect route and still make you be a relatively fixed protag but with some wiggle room for your personality.

But I'm a bit worried it'll end being more like an MMO where people just talk at you and you have 0 personality or something.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I figured people were probably exaggerating about that battle theme but wow, that really does sound like a rejected Mad World track.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If we're talking from a combat perspective then no, Affinity actively discourages you from switching your party members. Having 3 guys all at max affinity with each other is straight up better than having it spread around, because active party affinity has a direct and extremely huge impact on how good you are in combat.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Louisgod posted:

I think it depends on the person because for me, if the affinity was low between members, I would swap them in so they could build it up. High affinity doesn't really make a huge difference until way later in the game when you're taking on 90+ monsters.

The main thing is that the cost to go up in Affinity is the same between each level, so it doesn't get harder to increase the higher you go or anything. And the benefits of being at higher affinity for Chain Linking are extremely big, plus it helps your crafting on top of that.

I mean yeah, you can basically do whatever you want in this game unless you want to try and do a low-level clear or try and beat the superbosses. I'm just saying if you're trying to be efficient about things, just focusing on 3 characters is the way to go for making combat easier.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Vil posted:

- Its effect on chain attack continuation is absolutely linear, rather than tiered by color/level. Purple but almost pink is almost as good as full pink. Blue and halfway to purple is half as good as full pink.

Ah that's right, it's the effect on chain linking that's linear, not the affinity tier cost.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nailed it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Junkie Disease posted:

music and anime faces can't stop the gameplay. If that sucks though I have no idea.

It looks a lot better than the first game's gameplay at least. Hopefully it doesn't have the same weird scaling thing when you're a few levels above/below the enemy, or at least they make it less exaggerated.

My feeling on the soundtrack is still basically that the vocal tracks are Not Good and the non-vocal tracks are anywhere from Good to Great.

The first game was carried a lot by it's story and characters, plus the music and environments helped a ton. I'm still pretty on the fence about this one looking good or bad.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Lmao OK I take it back I just got to the first vocal track and it's hilariously bad. the non-vocal stuff's still good though

Yeah, I think some of them are dangerous straddling the line of "stupidly fun" but then some just fall right off into "just kinda bad" territory.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Xavier434 posted:

That is the actual in game age? I thought you were just exaggerating.

Nope she's actually 13. She's also a genius scientist/engineer who works on building the robots and gosh I wish I were making this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

Well, the first one did, so

That's the big thing keeping me from preordering this, the combat was dull as dishwater in the first game and dragged everything else around it down. It seems like the characters are a lot less fun or likable this time around and there's even more focus put on combat and MMO-like quests so unless that all got radically better I may just end up passing on this one.

• Locked thread