Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tenzarin posted:

I always see people say Xenoblade Chronicles for the wii is good but they always fail to describe what makes it good. Compared to ff12 how is it different? The rarity of this game really doesn't help sell that it is amazing other then the fact you never see anyone say any details about the drat game. I'm on a wall, sell it to me. The old megapost was like "We got picutres!", "We got main characters", "It's the best!", never described the combat system at all, and whats up with the side quests?

We get into it pretty well in the other Xenoblade thread but know that it bucks just about every JRPG cliche in the book, specifically:

-No mana/MP
-You die, no game over, you go immediately to your last checkpoint, which generally is a few minutes back
-Save anywhere, any time
-Quick travel via the map means you can go anywhere at any point in a matter of seconds
-No inns, no need for rest or to recharge
-No items in battle. Hell, no items for the most part.
-Status effects don't follow you after battle
-Putting on armor makes your character look different
-No dumb JRPG character cliches

It literally undoes what's been wrong with JRPGs in the last decade and I'm sure I'm missing some key points.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Levantine posted:

That last point really bears repeating. The cast is all so likable. There really isn't any dead weight there. The voice acting really contributes positively as well. It's a fun adventure with a group of fun characters.

And they come to logical conclusions without beating around the bush. The Last Story did this really well too. And yeah there are a couple cliches here and there but it's nothing grossly eye-rolling.

Terper posted:

So, you have to level up your town affinity (or something like it) in X to be able to open some treasure chests lying around.

And to get the extra sets of skills for some characters but it's completely optional.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tenzarin posted:

Are your character levels shared or are you locked in with a party once you get going? Is it fully voice acted or is it in novel form?

What do you mean? Characters level up individually but they remain consistent through the game. Also, fully voiced and by VAs in the UK since they picked the game up and NOA just rebranded it for NA.

e: there you go

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Doc V posted:

-Some equipment has level requirements

Ooh I wonder if it's because you can trade online ala PSO 1&2.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

It cannot be stressed how bad the sidequest and city design was, especially the fact that you had to do both of those asinine bullshit things to get every characters extra skills

City design was fine, finding people was a pain in the rear end and could've used a realtime map or something (thank god for the Google sheet somebody put together). The "asinine bullshit" things were completely optional and I think set off the OCD of people that are competitionists to a point where they burned out quick and when they were done said gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU FUUUUUUUUCK YOU.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Locking out critical gameplay features that are arguably better than what is default isn't "completely optional" and you know it

Also just because a lovely bad thing is optional doesn't make it not lovely and bad

Xeno chronicles was a good game, great even, but pretending it was perfect or the best jrpg ever made is flat out dishonest and disingenuous and does nobody any favors, especially because that game had major problems that everyone ignores

What "critical gameplay feature" in the skill tree were completely necessary for completing the game? By all means, let me know. They weren't necessary in any way to complete it.

Any game, and JRPG even, will have those optional, hard to get skills or items that you'll have to work overtime to get but aren't necessary to get to the ending of the game. You ever have to dodge lighting 200 times? Yeah, gently caress that. Didn't need to do it to beat the game though!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

The skill trees, which incidentally unlock extra abilities as well on each character, drastically changing their play style

So which skill trees were critically needed to complete the game?

efb

Paper Lion posted:

There's a difference between doing something dumb at your own leisure right before the postgame in order to do slightly higher numbers, and having something be gated behind a time limit that as a player you may not even always be aware of with the reward being 2 entire paths of growth that dictate your entire strategies for the rest of the game. Stop being disingenuous.

I let a lot of the timed quests lapse and still managed to get all the skill trees but I was pretty religious about doing quests where I could.

But again, which of those skill trees were needed to complete the game?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Yeah, and it was bad game design then too, because in both cases it isn't hard, it's just horribly tedious

Raising colony 9 to four stars isn't fun, it's just time consuming in an already hugely long game. The ffx ultimate weapons are much the same, just like persona 4's godawful skill inheritance system

Nobody's arguing that they're a pain in the rear end to get - because they definitely are - but they are not critical or even necessary to completing the game. Are they critical or necessary to beat those high tier level 99+ monsters? Absolutely.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Critical might've been hyperbolic but only just; in the grand scheme of gameplay flexibility it's much more important than ffx's ultimate weapons and about as important as p4's fused skills

Discounting extra gameplay flexibility as "optional" is just as hyperbolic in the other direction

And in either case it's still bad game design

Okay fine but don't say I'm being disingenuous when you're backpedaling and saying you were being hyperbolic.

Again, if those 4th or 5th tree skills locked you out from beating the game then yeah, bad game design, definitely. Again though, are you talking about post-game high level tier enemies and what-have-you that you needed the extra skill trees for? Still trying to understand where they made or break parts of the game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tenzarin posted:

To play this game on a Wii u what controller do I need to buy?

Either Wii remote + nunchuck or Wii remote + classic controller.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The team that has always worked for me in tight situations is player controlled Melia for lightning damage stacks, Sharla for healing, and Riki for aggro draw.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm sure they don't want to tear teams away from their current projects but an HD release as a stopgap between then and now would definitely build hype, introduce new players to the franchise, and give people the opportunity that missed the game to pick it up. Maybe it'll br a free pack-in ala BO1/2..

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
There's nothing that says that in the future the UK doesn't invade the US, keeps the US flag and animes the hell out of the country by forcing its anime population to pilot giant robots in memory of eNeo-Tokyo 3, which was invaded by the alien clone of Hitler, which eventually inadvertently imploded via a black hole experiment gone wrong.

shulk what did you do

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
They look like the characters from the Xenosaga games so it definitely has nothing to do with polygons. It's an art direction decision.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Jesus Christ..

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm playing through the game again and am about 55 hours in and only at Sword Valley. I've been taking my time with doing all the quests and exploring and am having just as much fun as I did the first time through.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
They probably mean you can pick from a bunch of pre-made character traits for your avatar ala Monster Hunter's grunts, faces, hair, etc. I don't know how I feel about not having a named main character but I'll reserve judgement considering their track record.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Quick question, how necessary are the quests in agniratha if I already have 5 stars in that area? I'd like to skip all those dumb quests like I did the first time around if they're as pointless as I think they are.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Vil posted:

I don't know that those quests even give you town affinity anywhere. They do give you their direct rewards, and completing them also unlocks a door which leads to one of those secret landmarks that are extra-rewarding for discovering them. (Plus it has a nice view.)

Oh that's good to know, I guess I'll do them for the secret area alone, thanks!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mak0rz posted:

I'm playing through again and got all the landmarks and areas of interest on the Bionis' Leg but the map didn't complete. I checked an online map for reference and it seems I didn't miss anything. What gives?

There are some that aren't listed on the general map that you're probably missing is my guess.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Gem crafting serves two purposes:

-Getting Melia's Lightning Plus gems on her weapon up to 100%
-Increasing everybody's agility via Agility Plus gems because this thread told me to do it a lot of times??

I don't know if they're good but they seem good but I've been giving everybody Ether Protect and Physical Protect gems that decrease the damage by whatever percent right out of the gate.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
At the same time, there are only specific areas of certain maps that spawn a certain item and generally at a certain percent (like 10% or 13%), so if you're struggling to find a specific item, see if it only shows up in a specific spot. For example, poisonous gourds in the Marsh only show up in the poison swamp, where something later in the game like a Rainbow Slug shows up in 5 random spots with a low success rate.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Taint Reaper posted:

Are we seriously spoilering a 3 year old game(5 years old in japan).

Considering that people are literally talking about their playthroughts in the thread, and how the game is literally - like literally - being ported to the N3DS, you're going to have people skim over the pretty big spoilers that ruin a fun surprise about the game. Is it that hard to think "oh hey people may be playing this game and want to be surprised, maybe I should spoiler what I write"?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

mabels big day posted:

I just did a quest in colony 9 where I had to get a girl soldier either a sword or a shield to help her pass the lieutenants test. When I accepted the mission, a vision of her winning with a poisonous sword was shown, and the loser seemed pretty upset that she cheated. So naturally I got the shield for her, so that wouldnt happen.

Of course she loses, and then I lose affinity towards Colony 9. Did i make an objectively wrong choice gameplay-wise, or will the game make up for that because I did the right thing and stopped her from cheating?

I think you get the affinity back later but choosing the poison sword is the better choice as the storyarch it creates produces better affinity between NPCs. Also I think it's the branch that gives Shulk one of his skill trees?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mak0rz posted:

Desiree's quests unlock his fourth skill tree, Emmy Leater's unlock his fifth. Both quest lines have branching paths and either path will net you the extra tree. Don't worry too much over your decisions.

Yeah regardless of choice, you get the branch but if you look at the Wiki regarding the quests, sometimes one choice has a slight benefit over the other regarding affinity between NPCs, ie some give you a green and blue between characters, others give you just green between characters, others give you blue for one and orange/red for another, things like that. Obviously if you're doing the Leater and Desiree quests it probably doesn't matter since you're more than likely at a 5 star with the Colony.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I still wish they would've brought back the teams that did the music in Xenoblade to do some of the music in X. Monolith basically established the best musical team ever.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Is Sawano the only one doing the music in the game? Xenoblade had three separate groups (and I think a couple guest composers, which explains the variety. X's music sounds new age and seems more in line with the Xenosaga games. The music in X isn't necessarily bad, it just seems like a huge downgrade from what Xenoblade gave us.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
If I had to guess, you're an unnamed character that was ultimately responsible for the attacks on Earth 2 years ago and are a puppet of the alien race, strung along to lead the other characters to reveal the Secrets of New Los Angeles but you break free from your puppet prison due to your feelings for the main female character that isn't 13 and your love for the People of Earth but in the final battle with the queen alien angel you're interrupted by God and told that your universe is inside another universe and the struggles between the aliens and humans is an ongoing war since the dawn of time caused by the other universe and you have to battle God, ultimately slaying him with big numbers, and merging both universes into one, with New Earth Mira 2 as the main hub for Starfleet activity.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mak0rz posted:

I can see this is going to be one of those games where you focus on exploration and combat and try your hardest to ignore the cringe-inducing plot.

What a lovely step backwards if this is the case. They had a winning solution with Xenoblade's plot and just had to clone the "deep" concepts it presents and introduce some fun oh poo poo moments and it seems instead we're getting Generic Anime Robot Game with Generic Silent Protagonist. I'm guessing the generic player character is to bring uniqueness to online battles or exploration so I get that but I really hope the story isn't some massive heap of garbage.

I'm playing FF13-2 right now and I enjoy the battle system but jesus christ the story is a giant curly turd, the characters and their dialogue are embarrassing and it all literally makes me fall asleep.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 16, 2015

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

hopeandjoy posted:

For some reason I thought that the MC was customizable? Was this a fever dream I had during last E3 or something?

They are. I don't think they got into it too deeply in the Treehouse demo but you can customize your character. Not sure about gender but everything else seemed to be adjustable.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Powerful crotch..

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Anime Curator posted:

I just ordered a Xenoblade Chronicles poster online. I can’t wait to get it! The only question that remains is -- where do I put said poster. I was thinking of hanging it above my PC gaming rig and I already took the measurements and it's going to be a perfect fit. BUT, I also want to hang it above my big ol' 42' TV so whenever I am watching TV or console gaming I have that sweet rear end Monado gazing back at me. Only problem is it's not that big a poster but it still looks badass and I am really considering the TV option. In anticipation for Xenoblade Chronicles X I am replaying the first one, so I guess I can always place above the TV and move it later. Lets me get into the "feel" of the game too. Also any clues when the Miiverse will open?

I think you should get the poster retrofitted onto a body pillow so that you can gently caress it whenever you're in the mood. Make that Monado learn a new art.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Youre a little weird, Lgod.

I was just trying to give the Curator of Anime an alternative so he could be with his poster at all times.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
gently caress vocal songs, give me organic ambiance. I cringe every time I hear lyrics in video game music, especially in Japanese tracks.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mak0rz posted:

I assume you don't actually mean "all tracks with vocals," right?

Actually I do, the lyrics tend to be nonsensical and feel forced and the X song over I think the second trailer comes to mind. FF13-2 comes to mind. J-pop comes to mind. I've never liked lyrics in video game soundtracks.

Anyway, it's just a fun quirk I've had for years, I'm sure I'll get used to the music that plays.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fungah! posted:

The 300 hour thing (with theoretically infinite elements lol) thing sounds kind of overblown but man oh man the rest of that looks cool. Are they doing a demo anytime soon?

Considering the guy made the game and is probably OCD about things I'd say he's probably grooming everything for bugs or things they missed. Still 5x larger than Xenoblade either means there's a shitton to do or there's a massive amount of empty, meaningless space.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Silvain posted:

Boy I can't wait to hear the same Sawano soundtrack that I heard in his previous endeavors for 300 hours straight. Maybe this time the mumbled mess of English and German might make sense if I go google the lyrics and translate it back and forth about 10 times.

Ok so my prior comment of nonsensical poo poo lyrics wasn't too far off. Dammit Monolith, you struck gold with the musicians on Xenoblade.. you had won.. whyy.... y...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I like to picture Tetsuya Takahashi receiving the musical ideas from Sawano and responding with "what the gently caress is this gutter trash poo poo" and telling him to get hosed like he kinda did with ACE+, but was nicer about it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm going to purchase and then immediately throw the game away out of disgust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is it possible to go on dates with your anime girlfriend/s in this game? Xenoblade kinda had that with the dating spot chats or whatever. It's been a while since I played it.

Long answer, you can print out their pictures and have a quiet dinner at your place, one on one, over a beautiful candle lit dinner with the best ramen the Safeway aisle offers and a stunning blend of Code Red and Carlo Rossi Rosé, complemented by blue cheese because you read somewhere you're supposed to pair wine with cheese but hosed if you have any idea how to do that. Short answer, nobody knows yet.

• Locked thread