Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is it getting to be time to sell the factory sealed copy of Xenoblade that I bought by accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Locking out critical gameplay features that are arguably better than what is default isn't "completely optional" and you know it

What are you referring to here, specifically? I did a decent number of sidequests for the first half of the game but didn't finish more than a 1/4 of the 'timed' ones from Alcamoth (which aren't really timed, just locked by plot progression) and I don't think I missed out on anything critical.

E: And I don't think many people downplay the game's faults -- the good parts just make up for them. Needs improvement:

-NPC tracking for quests. I don't wanna run around to find a dude to turn a thing in.
-Inventory management. Selling off old stuff made my eyes water by the end, needed more sorting options too.
-Interface clunkiness in general.
-Maybe a little less visual noise in combat?
-Some more control over NPC's for setting up combos and stuff would be nice, some of the AI was pretty bad (looking at you, Melia.)

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 12, 2014

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Paper Lion posted:

There's a difference between doing something dumb at your own leisure right before the postgame in order to do slightly higher numbers, and having something be gated behind a time limit that as a player you may not even always be aware of with the reward being 2 entire paths of growth that dictate your entire strategies for the rest of the game. Stop being disingenuous.

I could be wrong, been a while, but I'm 95% sure you didn't need to complete any of the 'timed' quests to unlock every skill tree? There were enough other quests in the areas to increase your rep.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Riki-Melia-Seven was my endgame death party -- Riki has a decent heal, Melia has a crappy one, and them combined with 7 means stuff dies too fast to have a chance at killing anyone anyway.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Chronojam posted:

Don't worry about sidequests that don't have a little clock in the quest display; that's your indicator that it's time limited by plot lockouts.

If you're bored of sidequests feel free to ignore the clock icon ones too. You don't need to do any of them ever if you don't want, and you miss very little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I'm a teeny bit annoyed there aren't any (that I've seen) quality of life UI improvements, they just shuffled everything to the lower screen. Mainly, I want an indicator for 'this person has aggro' on the UI itself maybe by the character portrait -- the red circle around the character model in game is reaaallly easy to lose track of.

• Locked thread