Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think Xenoblade is the best game (I wish I could combine Xenoblade's world/setting/exploration with FF12's combat)

This is kind of how I feel as well. It seemed like a waste to give each character their own distinct selection of abilities but only give you control over one at a time. If there was some FF12-style programmability and the ability to shift control mid-combat, it would have been a lot more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think not every game really calls for a full top-to-bottom remaster. For Xenoblade, they could just increase the rendering resolution, upgrade the UI elements to HD, and update the controller support. Most of the models and textures could be left as-is.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The tone of the cutscenes gets ruined even if you do wear armor. Dunban wearing an eyepatch he doesn't need, Sharla strutting about in a purple polka dot bikini. Silly business!

The game has a lot going for it in terms of visual concepts, but that quality didn't extend to most of the clothing designs.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Theoretically they could still give anyone not from Earth a British accent. But yeah, the game will probably be localized by NOA and they'll be pulling from their American casting resources.

But the trailer revealed that there are Nopon in the game, and it would be weird and disappointing not to have British-voiced Nopon.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think even Melia or Fiora looked like porcelain dolls to the extent that the girls in the new game do. The men have a different look going on too. I think it's incorrect to say that the only difference is graphical power.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

When I say "porcelain doll", I don't just mean the skin texture, but the facial proportions.

Xenoblade: Men and women portrayed in the same style. Most characters of both genders have tall faces, large pointed noses, large eyes, small chins/jaws, and pronounced foreheads.

Xenoblade X: Men and women portrayed in very different styles. Women have more rounded faces, larger eyes containing larger irises, and very small noses. Men have strong jawlines, very small eyes, and rough, lined features.

The characters really don't have the same look at all.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The best item gag in the game is in the final area. You've spent the whole game collecting these blue glowing objects and finally you encounter one that's just named "blue glow".

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think it's just above the rear end, actually, wrapping around the left side of the waist.

Colony 6 is right on the dong though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Extremely unlikely. Wii games can't be patched, so there's no way to add that feature to the original. They COULD theoretically add it in if they ported the game to the Wii U (as in, rebuilt it as Wii U software instead of an unchanged ISO that runs in Wii mode), but there's no sign they're doing that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I like that the ladies all have full tuff armor and I hope it doesn't all transform into weird swimsuits the second you equip something.

But yikes this game has bad faces

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sawano can occasionally bust out a stirring melody but I don't like that he is replacing ACE+.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The monsters look very good, but the people look very bad.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If they didn't make a special edition Wii U for SSB, they're not making one for a jRPG that NOA probably doesn't even expect to sell that well.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I didn't think the localization was so far along considering we still haven't heard a single English-language voice, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

No slider for ahoge size *cancels preorder*

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"marcy stuffs her bra, pass it on"
"I DO NOT"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I wish it was a Saints Row triangle instead. :smith:

If not that, then even giving both genders a height slider and a weight slider would be a much better approach than... this.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Even if they had to render the Mechonis closer and smaller than it's supposed to be, they might be able to still pull some trickery to simulate distance, ie actually place it in a different position in the left-eye render than in the right-eye render.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Xenogears didn't really have enough music for its length. No matter how good it was, it all became unbearable after playing long enough.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Heropon de floor

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I like that you can support the companies that make armor you like, so I can boycott the sickos making fetish armor for 13-year-old girls.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm not surprised to hear that some of the mechanics are a little esoteric and obtuse, since that was also the case in the first Xenoblade. There's major mechanical stuff I straight up didn't notice until a lot later into my first playthrough than I should have, and even a few things I didn't fully get until replaying on 3DS.

The first game should be more than a good enough primer for X, though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"Recast"s alone are gonna gently caress a lot of people up, nevermind how the hell "Soul Voice" is supposed to work.

There is a lotta carryover but they're also changing a whole bunch so if you play it just like you did the first game, you're probably gonna be missing out on a bunch of poo poo.

I mean a primer in the sense of being used to some of the fundamentals, and being accustomed to digging deep into the interface to find certain key mechanics.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

quote:

After clearing a certain quest, you’re able to freely re-customize your avatar. You can even change genders

quote:

No matter what height you jump from in this game, you won’t take any damage. You can jump all the way down from the top of the Upper Strata in the BLADE Area to the Lower Strata.

*morphs genders while leaping off a mountaintop with no parachute* Now this is what I call gaming

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Why wouldn't the game come out in NA this year?

If it were one of those silent-treatment maybe-we'll-localize-it-maybe-we-won't situations like the first game or FE:A, then sure, a gap would be expected, but that's not the case here.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the real big problem with still not having seen/heard the English localization is, we don't know what the memes will be. It's a concern

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Jesus christ, you'd hope (maybe not expect, but HOPE) they would at least keep it in their pants with the 13 year old character.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yes, the main big problem with a 13-year-old being topless except for a tiny nipple-blocking harness is the lack of visual appeal.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Kill la Kill is terrible.

And really, it's not so much that it's "lewd armor", it's specifically that it's lewd armor on a kid. I just roll my eyes at the rest of the bizarre and incongruously-sexual armor, but this specific instance is a bit messed up.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think it's good for an adult to be horny for a child, even if the child is fake. I know this controversial stance may get me labelled as a prude, or as racist against anime, but this is my opinion, and I believe in it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe they'll even change her age to "10,000 year old spirit".

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think the article should have featured an exhaustive photoset of the sexualized 13-year-old, but it's still bad that the content is there in the game. Imagine scooping yourself a delicious dish of ice cream, but you have to be careful because there's a turd in the ice cream tub. The turd is Literal Pedophilia.

I still don't really buy that just "scribble the number 18 over the number 13" method will work, because that's not going to make her not look like a tiny baby child.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

You're really blowing this out of proportion it's impossible to actually have an anime character look 13 because anime character body proportions are not realistically human. Like you can't even tell she's 13 in any sort of character line-up or hell compare it to other series. You have to be verbally told she's 13 because other than that there's really no other indicator that she's 13. Like hell she could pass for the same age as Fiona.

All animes look the same.

It's funny how all the adult men in this game manage to look like adult men. Pretty wild how "anime style" makes that possible for dudes, but only dudes. Wonder what's going on there.

Hey, I can tell you're invested in the game being good, which is why you're defending the pedophilia in it. I am also invested in the game being good, which is why I would prefer for pedophilia not to be in it. Different mindsets, different ways of managing one's hype.

Honestly, although Sex Children are not something you should have to put effort into avoiding, the people saying "well you can AVOID IT" are still not as bad as trying to pretend that Lyn could ever pass for an adult woman and therefore it's not gross.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm pretty sure you don't need to avoid it, more you need to actually look for it. It's there if you put on armour with lovely defense, but Lyn's your tank so why would you equip that armour on her unless you want to stare at her tatas?

This is assuming the bikini and the nude harness are the only examples of sexual armor Lyn can wear, which is not a safe assumption. The first Xenoblade had a lot of racy high-defense heavy armor, and I'm sure this one does too.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"The people who don't like [THING] are actually the people who DO like [THING]" is a novel, if questionable argument.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ah yes, the principle wherein criticism of a bad thing is somehow worse and more heinous than silent tacit approval.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

List of groups of people allowed to criticize video games:
-Congress

That's it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ah yes, I was influenced by the sneaky clickbait blogs into not wanting to look at kids' boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Dastardly posted:

Well if someone didn't and then didn't feel the need to share it here then you wouldn't have known about it unless you watched the Japanese directs and if you did then you would have already been bawwing about this months and months ago.

I did watch the Japanese directs. I think I did comment that they had a couple skeevy outfits on Lyn, if not here then elsewhere, but I don't think there was anything quite as outlandishly gross as what's come up recently. Maybe there was and I didn't spot it?

Regardless, you've provided one more hilariously bad argument that we can add to the growing list of bad arguments in this thread:

-"If you don't like this element of the game, you actually DO like it, actually even even more than the people defending it"
-"If you write the number 18 next to her name she stops looking like a child."
-"You should not talk about this unless you are a congressman trying to pass a law"
-"It's your fault if you ever ever see this in the game, even though you can't see what any armor looks like until a character wears it"
-"If you didn't notice and criticize this in the past, you should not be noticing or criticizing it now"

Incredible logical backflips here.

I know it's fun to be hyped for a game, and it's natural to be a little unhappy when people say things about the game that are not nice, but for god's sake, don't let hype fry your brain this much.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 1, 2015

• Locked thread