Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nam Dad - Mine was aircrew on early warning planes based stateside so he said he just spent his 4 years during Vietnam getting drunk in Biloxi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
yall got old dads

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My uncle was in 'nam.

He was a mechanic on Hueys, worked the door-guns on occasions. Crappy hearing in one ear from the M-60s.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My dad was a filthy hippy, did a bunch of drugs and rode motorcycles.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
My mom was protesting the war and burning bras.

I have no idea how my folks wound up together but I suspect it had something to do with me being present at the wedding.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

my dad was in a seminary to become a priest.

that didnt happen

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

my dad's number didn't get picked, but then again he turned 17 in 1972

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Victor Vermis posted:

yall got old dads

No poo poo. I thought I was older than most of this forum by a couple of years, but my dad was in grade school/jr high.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
My dad was repairing B-somethings in Hawaii right as Nam was kicking off. Air Force guy. The AF offered him a WO spot and flight training if he stayed in and he was like "lol go gently caress yourself" and got out. Says he doesn't regret not fighting the war.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
my old man was in infantry OSUT at Ft Lewis, and right as he was about to graduate vietnam ended so :shrug:
then he got to see a lot of dead browns on the highway of death in Desert Storm when he was attached to the marines or some poo poo. He's never said whether he got to shoot at any browns at all but I've still got a shitload of pictures he took of burned out T-72s, trucks, etc.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Godholio posted:

No poo poo. I thought I was older than most of this forum by a couple of years, but my dad was in grade school/jr high.

Your dad screwed up a little later than the rest of our dads.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I know a lot of people from my hometown whose parents were under 18 when they were born so never be dissin on old dads

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

My dad was in his 40s when I was born. He's 80 now. :bahgawd:

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Nam Dad: worked on trucks at Cam Rah Bay, due to rotate just as Tet was picking up. Told me the best moment was when they opened up the armory and told his unit to take all the ammo they could carry. He was seriously due to rotate within a few days when Tet started, family luck at work. Also told me about running convoy up Route 1 and how they always saw burned out ambush cases.

Also met the South Koreans and noted that those dudes were bad rear end about killing VC.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
500 bad enough dudes from 1st Infantry going to Iraq. Time to triple down on losing another trillion dollars

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Victor Vermis posted:

yall got old dads

My grandfather got drafted I'm not positive whether it was for Algeria or Indochina but he deliberately pissed the bed every night in boot camp until they sent him home. He had a wife and baby to support and wasn't exactly patriotic to begin with. Pretty much everyone who got drafted with him down to the last man was killed in action.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We maintain three different types of strategic bombers. Despite this, we haven't leveled any cities since 1945.

That poo poo needs to change. Send in a couple hundred B-52 sorties, and change some hearts and minds.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

MrYenko posted:

We maintain three different types of strategic bombers. Despite this, we haven't leveled any cities since 1945.

That poo poo needs to change. Send in a couple hundred B-52 sorties, and change some hearts and minds.

There's absolutely no reason to send in hundreds of flights when a single one with the right loadout can do the job.

This makes me wonder when the last time we from-scratch manufactured an iron bomb was, and if the factories and companies even still exist.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Why send a flight when you can turn a key and be in your local Kansas dive bar by happy hour?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

There's absolutely no reason to send in hundreds of flights when a single one with the right loadout can do the job.

This makes me wonder when the last time we from-scratch manufactured an iron bomb was, and if the factories and companies even still exist.

All I know is that as of a couple years ago we were still using bomb bodies and 20mm that were manufactured when Rolling Thunder was going on.

fake edit: Apparently there's a GD factory in Texas that is the only factory that is DoD certified to manufacture, among other thing, Mk 80 series bomb bodies.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I wouldn'tve been surprised if we were still running through WWII leftover stock.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Snowdens Secret posted:

I wouldn'tve been surprised if we were still running through WWII leftover stock.

From what I've been told we burned up the last bit of our Korean war era bombs during Kosovo. Still have a big back log of Vietnam-late Cold War ones laying around, though

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

I think the Forrestal fire had something to do with getting rid of whatever was left of the really old Comp B poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

All I know is that as of a couple years ago we were still using bomb bodies and 20mm that were manufactured when Rolling Thunder was going on.

fake edit: Apparently there's a GD factory in Texas that is the only factory that is DoD certified to manufacture, among other thing, Mk 80 series bomb bodies.

I think a lot of people really underestimate how many loving bombs and rockets we have left over from that poo poo

I know NASA lights off parts of their old AF stockpile every day for fun (disposal) at the Wallops range

When the Peacekeeper ICBM program got canceled, what do you think happened to all the hundreds of unused rocket motors?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I watched one get detonated at the UTTR near the Bonneville Salt Flats. Wicked cool watching a shockwave expand like that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I want to say the Peacekeepers specifically got recycled into one of the (maybe private) satellite launch platforms but I don't remember the deets / too lazy to google

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I want to say the Peacekeepers specifically got recycled into one of the (maybe private) satellite launch platforms but I don't remember the deets / too lazy to google

I worked that program for 2 years, we give the old ICBM motors to Orbital Sciences Corp to turn into Minotaur launch vehicles for gov't payloads but that only accounts for a few every year (when they do a launch). The rest are static fired to provide data for aging surveillance for use as launch vehicle motors, disposed (washed out or blown up), or just sit around in bunkers.

Godholio posted:

I watched one get detonated at the UTTR near the Bonneville Salt Flats. Wicked cool watching a shockwave expand like that.

I've been to UTTR to inventory the motors, managed to miss all the static fires and disposals though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Victor Vermis posted:

yall got old dads

My Dad is 16 years older than my Mom, who had me at 19. She was my Dad's second wife, but not his last- he knocked up a chick like 30 years younger (he was 63, she was like 35 I think) and then married her. My Dad is kinda OG like that.
My Dad and my Grandfather were in Nam at the same time.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The gently caress there isn't.

Its not about efficiency. Its about bombing the gently caress out of anything larger than a rodent. 2 warheads for every rag wearing neanderthal in that god forsaken desert.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nukes first, go back a week later with enough MK84s to put 2x on anything still moving around.

E: Is there a Mother of all Cluster Bombs yet? Maybe one that just spits out AP mines that look like MREs? Hearts, minds, hands, and feet.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

There's a couple thousand Ebloa corpses now, right? Sprinkle liberally over populated areas.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
My dad beat hippies in Chicago during the '68 riots.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah my dad was born in 63 so he didnt get to kill yellows

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Ogrel72 posted:

My dad beat hippies in Chicago during the '68 riots.

:love:

Buy him an account so he can troll D&D

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Didn't we have a super graybeard goon that was a cop in 60's Chicago? He had great stories.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Didn't we have a super graybeard goon that was a cop in 60's Chicago? He had great stories.

Pretty sure that guy just got banned two days ago for sperging about pedophilia in the Archeage MMO thread

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MA-Horus posted:

He got banned for weighing in on the legalities regarding age of consent in an EVE thread where some dude was accused of diddling in an MMO or some poo poo

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Wasn't he a teacher too? Or just retired from being a inner city teacher?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Can you imagine being banned from a forum at 72?

What else are you going to do while you wait to die?

Maybe he'll call in all his old favors and track down Ralp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Victor Vermis posted:

Can you imagine being banned from a forum at 72?

What else are you going to do while you wait to die?

Maybe he'll call in all his old favors and track down Ralp.

This is why I'm burning my candle at both ends, burning out sucks but smoldering is loving awful.

- An actual jewish person

• Locked thread