Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
This is a great LP. Good to see the Norse played!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Groogy posted:

Also to hint about the next chapter, I've named it to "Grim's Ragnarök"

Welp, so much being able to patiently wait for the next update.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Oh hey, I made it to the thread before Ragnarok.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Needs more Aragon.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
You are doing far better than I would have. Playing Norse is hard at this start.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

i81icu812 posted:

Needs more Aragon.

Totally, We need some Western Aragon as well

Lord Windy posted:

You are doing far better than I would have. Playing Norse is hard at this start.

Ugh its not easy no, next chapter was incredibly hard as my enemies kept getting money from the damned Pope, lending from jews and raising holy orders. When I get my independence I'm gonna go down there, raid Rome until its but a crisp and sacrifice their damned whole state of "funny hats". When I've defeated someone and they from nowhere get 500 ducats to raise Mercenaries, you get kinda pissed :argh:

I know I'm treading on thin water here... But its the damned cross worshipers fault! Promise! Not mine!

Groogy fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 15, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Groogy posted:

I know I'm treading on thin water here... But its the damned cross worshipers fault! Promise! Not mine!

Have you thought about moving elsewhere to get stronger, like into Russia? The Orthodox cross worshipers are a tad bit easier to deal with.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Lord Windy posted:

Have you thought about moving elsewhere to get stronger, like into Russia? The Orthodox cross worshipers are a tad bit easier to deal with.

Nah, I'm way too attached to Skåne, of course if my dynasty manages to spread elsewhere and I die in Skåne I'll move but I'll try and hold out against the hordes of the Catholics for as long as possible. Also I think by now Skåne is the richest place in the Scandinavian region, my income is the same as the Kings of Scandinavia form that province alone.

No with Odin's wisdom at my side and the protection of Thor we shall pull trough!

Edit: Though I need to get that damned CoA of Skåne changed, right now its the Christian Griffin which doesn't sit right with me.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 15, 2014

Preid
May 22, 2014
Does sacrificing the Pope at a Great Blot give you extra piety?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Preid posted:

No but I'm probably gonna mod in an event chain starting with the sacrifice of the Pope.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

A Norse 1066 start is always interesting. Though invariably all my attempts tend to fall apart fairly swiftly, which makes your skilful play all the more interesting.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Preid posted:

It's worth an achievement.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Groogy posted:

No but I'm probably gonna mod in an event chain starting with the sacrifice of the Pope.

It strikes me that it should probably just be patched in because in the rare circumstances that you get to do it, you should get something pretty big as a reward.

An achievement is a great idea.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

It strikes me that it should probably just be patched in because in the rare circumstances that you get to do it, you should get something pretty big as a reward.

An achievement is a great idea.

There's Holy Smoke as an achievement but I think it also needs a caliph and maybe another religious leader, or maybe it just works with any religious leader.

But an event chain would be pretty sweet anyways.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Alright weekend and finally done with working on the Aborigine Invasion DLC. Putting on a pot of coffee as I'm gonna need a whole bunch while writing about these dark years ahead of Grim. After the Chapter is done, depending on how big this event is, I'll do a review of the realm and the surrounding world as a separate post.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groogy posted:

Alright weekend and finally done with working on the Aborigine Invasion DLC. Putting on a pot of coffee as I'm gonna need a whole bunch while writing about these dark years ahead of Grim. After the Chapter is done, depending on how big this event is, I'll do a review of the realm and the surrounding world as a separate post.

I hope your state of the world is done in the style of a travel guide, with "Would Raid? 0-5" star Raven ratings.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

GSD posted:

I hope your state of the world is done in the style of a travel guide, with "Would Raid? 0-5" star Raven ratings.

10/10, would rape, pillage and burn everything in sight again

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Would you consider the trip to Rome and Constantinople worth the time in exchange for personal satisfaction compared to industrially looting the closer christian coasts?

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
I love looting provinces. In the 800 start I raided Isle de France during a civil war in France and I ended up destroying the City of Paris. That is an awesome way to start a game.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Grim and Karl has come a long way since their father departed for Valhalla. They've taken together in arms the island of Själland, the core of the Danish Kingdom in their grasp and our story left of with them taking Bornholm, making them hold half of the land that is considered Skåne. Despite the Vogelius conquests and adventures they were still fairly unknown in the courts of Europe, even Northern Europe. However what they did next was both unexpected, daring and what would forever put the Vogelius on the maps of Europe, claiming their rightful position in the history books.

The King of Denmark held 3 counties that should have belonged to Grim and his brother Karl. For first there were Desmond, the old land in Ireland that was illegally taken from Karl by the mad king of Denmark that Grim later made denounce his throne to his successor. The two other were the Scanian lands of Halland and Blekinge. The only outcome could be the only way Grim and Erik knew how, war.

The Estrid family would be of no concern, being too busy squabbling amongst themselves, the corrupt king continuously revoking the land of his own kindred. But no matter how much land the Danish king takes, he is nowhere near to defend against the Skåne, facing an opponent that has both a stronger army and a stronger economy their only hope lies in their ally in the Polish King. But Grim did not fear, his own daughter is the Queen of Lithuania, and his daughter in law were sister to the High Chief of Zemigallians and he had been assured they would answer his call for aid.

Grim sends a messenger to his liege, with a message telling him that the Chieftain of Skåne demands Desmond and Blekinge and that his Heathen army will move immediately to seize the provinces from the King's control. Of course he didn't expect the King to comply, before the messenger even had left Trelleborg the army of Skåne, Själland and Bornholm was already assembling and moving in on Halland to capture the Royal army. King Einar's biggest problem is that the crown demesne is spread across the Kingdom of Denmark and rallying his troops becomes a nightmare. As the troops in Halland are engaged he tries to reinforce them with troops from Blekinge, but they are too late and the Halland levy is crushed by Grim and later chased down in the Småland forests of Värend. Half of the Danish army devastated already in just a few days, Einar of Estrid's only hope is the Polish army which is spotted outside Gdansk heading for Denmark.

His Majesty still has his troops from Fyn and Holstein to fight Grim with, as they cross the Sound the Scanian troops sets to engage them. Grim worrying about the Polish army however recruits a mercenary band of Irish origin to have enough troops when they finally reach him. A few Irishmen are left to siege Blekinge while two thirds of the company joins with the Scanian army to fight the Danish. The outcome is the only one possible, the Danes have no army anymore as they are chased down and finally killed off in Fyn.

Grim prepares with the mercenaries to fight the approaching Polish, however the months pass and no troops show up. Rumours are that the Polish King moved his troops back home to combat a heretic uprising in one of their provinces.

A year passes, with both the Danes and Poles being very quiet and inactive. Grim and Karl see their victory within their grasp, but then the vile Swedish king shows himself declaring a holy war on Skåne, also pulling in the experienced professional Norwegian Army into the fray.

"CURSES", Karl screamed, "These Christians do not fight like men, may they all rot in Hel and have their nails pulled out by her rusty tongs!

No it does not look good for the Heathen army, the Lithuanian King hesitant, the Livonian tribe refused but the spirit of Grim did not dwindle, the zealous chieftain refused to give up hope and continued to direct the war effort with a steady hand.

The Danish, reinforced with money from the Pope and the Polish troops engage Grim in Blekinge, 7 000 men against 5 000 go ahead against each other, both sides taking heavy losses. Next to Blekinge in Skåne the Swedish assemble their 7 000 strong men army. The battle for Blekinge starts of quite well for the defenders, inflicting heavy casualties on the right flank of the Danes, who break soon enough. However their luck turn and the left and middle flank gets crushed by the attackers and the Scanian army is left devastated.

Of course the Danes are not just going to let the Swede's take Skåne away from them. The Swedes are quick to take advantage of the weakened army of Denmark and engages them in Blekinge and makes quick work of them before returning to Skåne to siege. Eventually Grim's Son-in-law arrives with his 8 000 strong army from Lithuania and engages the Swedish besieging army.

The battle is lost however the Swedish and Norwegian's war capacity greatly reduced as they took the most casualties, losing more than half their army. The Heathen armies are forced to retreat as their morale dwindle, but immedietly marches upon Skåne again to eradicate the Swede's.

VICTORY!

But as expected the Christian lords refuses to surrender to a mere Heathen chieftain and the Norwegian troops land in Bornholm to fight the Lithuanian troops and later moves to engage the Scanian troops in Skåne. The Norwegians even manages to wound Grim of Vogelius gravely in one of the skirmishes. Also as salt in the wound the Swede's founded by papal money arrives in Bornholm before a humiliating defeat can be brought to the Norwegian troops.

The brave Norwegian troops hold the line and the Swede's arrive in the nick of time. The Scanian troops, skilled as they are, are getting tired from having to fight yet another army bigger than them, the battle is becoming quite dangerous for Grim to let go on. Its extremely close throughout, but Grim manages to break the flanks and surround the middle flank. The Norwegians are no fools and adopts a shield-wall tactic and nearly wins the battle. The battle is won to the Heathens but much more costly as they do not have the church wealth to rely on.

With the Swedish and Norwegian forces crushed for now, Grim ignores his wounds and heads to Själland to engage the Polish King Army numbering about 3 000 men. Despite his condition he decides to lead the army from the front line, saying that he refuses to watch from the sidelines. His courage and persistence inspires his men and the Polish troops are crushed beneath the Viking furious charge.

However the Danish King, with more money from the pope, recruits Irish mercenaries to aid him and captures the Heathen army of guard and disorganised dealing a heavy blow to Grim's progress of victory.

All of the participating nations are tired of this long war that has gone on for 5 years now, their coffers are empty and the milking tit of the Pope has stopped feeding the cross worshippers. As a pleasant sight for sore eyes, the Lithuanian's and the Livonian tribes return to the Danish lands with reinforcements, now outnumbering the Polish, Danish, Swede's and Norwegians all together. The following two years are followed by several minor skirmishes, after all these years of constant piss and bloody war, Grim has come out more determined, more experienced and with more fervor than ever before. Trough pure experience he has learned tactics and methods to fight his religious enemies and become quite known for it as well.

The Swedes unable to sustain more troops, and the Norwegians tired of fighting their distant relatives war forces them to make peace with Skåne, paying huge amounts of wealth in war reparations.

What had been a war for survival becomes a winnable war for Grim and Karl, having nearly forgotten that it all started to take Blekinge and Desmond. The Heathen army rushes in and kill off the last Polish troops making a last stand in Halland. As no able bodied man of Denmark nor Poland remains, King Einar settles with the Vogelius brothers and surrenders to their terms. This day is the one where the Christian lords of Europe hears of how a small chieftan of Denmark manages to beat the large realms of Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Poland into submission and how the Viking warriors of Skåne never bulked, never surrendered, never yielded to the demands of the cross.

LONG LIVE THE VOGELIUS! BY GRACE OF ODIN WE HAVE ACHIEVED VICTORY!

As this victory can't have come in any way other than having been given to them by the gods, Grim and Karl sets up for a great blót immediately to celebrate their unlikely feat. Several Christian subjects refuse, some pay a token tribute to be exempted but the great halls of Trelleborg still received numerous of visitors to celebrate. The war had brought them several spoils of war, among them were noble men and subjects of the Swedish and Norwegian kings. The sacrifice of these men was both religious and as a message to the Catholics around Grim. After the sacrifice to the gods, the feasts begins!

As the feast goes on, Grim interrupts the festivities, his guards help him stand up to address the crowd, still being badly maimed by the great war and now being nearly 60 winters old didn't help, his brother stands up with him. He tells the tale of how the land of Skåne and the land of Desmond was divided between them upon his father's death. How they were content with their part of life and how they wanted to safe-guard the legacy of their father. He tells them that he will raise a runestone in his honour and give back the title of Desmond to his Brother who is the only man it belongs to.

He says he shall defend his brother's land to his deathbed in his power as Jarl of Skåne. Whispers start in the great hall and an earie silence follows it. Then the Marshall and his housecarls feasting on boar meat start clanking their cups into the wooden tables and they start singing of the glory from the great war praising the Jarl's relentless courage.

By the axe he swung,
As if by Odin's might,
His enemies he hung,
The God-on-the-cross plight.

The Valkyries there to take him,
Odin calling this great warrior to his halls,
The fire in the heart of Grim,
Burns trough the enemy walls.

Maimed, destroyed and broken,
Grim grabs his axe and charges,
His spirit has just awoken,
With sheer will he barges,

Groogy fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 19, 2014

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

SIGSEGV posted:

Would you consider the trip to Rome and Constantinople worth the time in exchange for personal satisfaction compared to industrially looting the closer christian coasts?

Definitely, especially in my game, would teach the Pope to stop giving cash to my enemies.
Those two wars would have been over long time ago if I weren't a heathen.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 19, 2014

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

This entire post makes my Red-and-Yellow heart flutter with pride! :allears:

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Groogy posted:

Definitely, especially in my game, would teach the Pope to stop giving cash to my enemies.
Those two wars would have been over long time ago if I weren't a heathen.

If you have the pope in jail, does that mean he can't give away money? Does he give much away in terms of ransom?

I've never bothered to get the pope :(

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Alright so at what point do you guys think that I should add the true Scandinavian Culture, Scanian? Now is a bit too early but should it come in CK2 or EU4? And what should I achieve before I'm allowed to create it, maybe an event chain concerning the disparity between the Danes ruled by Estrids and the people ruled by the Vogelius?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Groogy posted:

Alright so at what point do you guys think that I should add the true Scandinavian Culture, Scanian? Now is a bit too early but should it come in CK2 or EU4? And what should I achieve before I'm allowed to create it, maybe an event chain concerning the disparity between the Danes ruled by Estrids and the people ruled by the Vogelius?

If you conquer Denmark entirely, than you probably won't need to differ between Danish and Scanian unless you change your name to Skanemark or something like that. But if Denmark is half owned by Sweden, Norway or the rump of Denmark than Scanian would serve to show a difference between the catholic danes and the norse danes.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Lord Windy posted:

If you conquer Denmark entirely, than you probably won't need to differ between Danish and Scanian unless you change your name to Skanemark or something like that. But if Denmark is half owned by Sweden, Norway or the rump of Denmark than Scanian would serve to show a difference between the catholic danes and the norse danes.

Its kind of how it is right now, I own Blekinge, Själland, Skåne and Bornholm. so I own roughly 40% of the Kingdom, but economically and troop wise much more. But I think its too early for it to happen at this point, I'll save it until my provinces actually manages to flip to Norse as well.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
You mean South Swedish culture :v: ?

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Why not treat it like the creation of the English culture? Have it start when you have provinces which each of the principal Scandinavian cultures and enough centralised control (so medium Crown Authority and/or primogeniture succession laws) to represent a new Norse culture coming out of the melting pot of the creation of the new norse realm.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
When everyone else in the region aside from you is united under one banner, make them the Dinavians.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
As the last bastion of the Norse, couldn't you just stay as them? And also drat, this is all making me wanna play a Norse game at this period.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

As the last bastion of the Norse, couldn't you just stay as them? And also drat, this is all making me wanna play a Norse game at this period.

I'm Norse religion but Danish culture, and even though I hold on to the old values of our belief, the Scanian's have to look forward! We will grow stronger and we will develop all in the name of Odin and his children so that we can bring back the one true faith to the peninsula!

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

AJ_Impy posted:

When everyone else in the region aside from you is united under one banner, make them the Dinavians.

While that sounds fun Scania is actually named Skåne while the region is called Skandinavien.

ManicMarine
Oct 9, 2012
I just got here. I have never played Norse pagan in 1066, as I assumed I would crash and burn in under 5 years. I am wholly impressed.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Alright just waiting for my friend to help me make a pretty world map then I'll be posting an update on the occurrences and state of the world.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The world of 1130

The Reconquista has come to a standstill as the kingdoms are too busy fighting each other. However despite the conflicts of the Peninsula, they have nice food, nice women and nice gold, 9/10 on Ragnar's Raiding Scale.

Estonia seems to be looking for forming the kingdom of Finland. Its cold and miserable, quite poor so Ragnar gives it 2/10 on overall of his scales.

The Eastern Roman Empire has been fighting back and forth with the Muslims a lot, both gaining victories and losing land. However they seem to be incredibly stable this game and haven't revolted down to a bunch of small split states. There are great tales out of the Eastern Roman Empire that all of the Norse know, serving in the Varangian guard seen as a great honor, however its more or less very unprofitable to raid but a good place to visit and relax in so Ragnar gives it a 10/10 on his migration scale.

And last but not least, my current Demesne, how it has grown since start :)

These were the more interesting things I could find, the center of Europe is dominated by a really strong and stable Holy Roman Empire so not much going on there, the two French states haven't fought them yet and so far it seems like they are living quite peacefully together.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Raider's Travel Guide is an invaluable treasure. You should never leave home without it!

Also, I love the map's font.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

GSD posted:

The Raider's Travel Guide is an invaluable treasure. You should never leave home without it!

Also, I love the map's font.

And if you DO leave home without it, you can always just raid some sucker in northern Germany to get another copy.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Ugh I'm just waiting to become independent so I can start raiding the crap out of Rome.

ManicMarine
Oct 9, 2012

Groogy posted:

Ugh I'm just waiting to become independent so I can start raiding the crap out of Rome.

Gotta get that Holy Smoke achievement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Gads, grabbing Corsica then serial raiding up and down Italy is really drat fun. I raided Rome so often I burned it down to 3 holdings once. That and the little independents meant you could tank Christian moral authority to heck from all the church burning and make loads of dosh.

• Locked thread