Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Ill say once again that, they do absolutely need to include dark underground or night-time levels with neon glow-in-the-dark ink, though :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Oxyclean posted:

No, there's definitely boy characters too - the devs referred to the characters in general as "inklings"

e: Or at least I assume the one on the far right is a boy

Whatever the case, more gender positive squidkid customization options for everyone is always welcome. Hopefully Christine Marie Cabanos will be involved in the voice selection because it'd just be too perfect not to have her.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

C-Euro posted:

This looks pretty cool but I'll be a lot more likely to buy it if it has local multiplayer. Which, given the push to give it some good Gamepad features, seems up in the air. Not that taking advantage of the Gamepad is bad.

Also the art style reminds me of Despicable Me, which I really liked so that's another point in its favor.

Yeah, the only bad thing about pushing the Gamepad has been the limitations on their usual design to be multiplayer. Hyrule Warriors only being local with one person using the pad and another using the screen, for example, is kind of a bummer. It's nice that they don't have to do splitscreen all the time anymore, but is utilizing the Gamepad for say, Star Fox, going to eliminate the ability to do battle mode?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PrBacterio posted:

Ill say once again that, they do absolutely need to include dark underground or night-time levels with neon glow-in-the-dark ink, though :colbert:

That would be great. There are actually bioluminescent squids as well, so it would fit perfectly along with looking really cool.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 13, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
This looks pretty fun and cool but what the gently caress is a squidgirl

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

Also white and yellow.

I'm perfectly fine without custom color ink, honestly.

DARK RED :black101:

Dubious posted:

This looks pretty fun and cool but what the gently caress is a squidgirl

See all those girls that turn into squids? Do the math dude.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Skeezy posted:

More Splatoon fanart. It's really weird.

This needs to be in the OP

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I wonder if they'd put a straight-up Deathmatch mode in this game, where kills are what matter and the inking is just for strategic advantage. That could be a fun mode.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Rocketlex posted:

I wonder if they'd put a straight-up Deathmatch mode in this game, where kills are what matter and the inking is just for strategic advantage. That could be a fun mode.

Someone mentioned a tower climbing mode where you use your ink to climb a vertical level and hold the top to win.

Lots of interesting angles you can take the core gameplay without relying on standard arena shooter setups. A whole lot is going to depend on how ambitious and outside-the-box this dev team is with what they've developed. Pretty exciting stuff potentially.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

A pitch black map with UI disabled that can ONLY be lit by glow in the dark paint. :unsmigghh:

They could go really crazy with modes and customization and I hope they go loving bonkers.

vvvv Why bother with a shotgun when you could just have a hose

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 13, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Not gonna lie, I am very excited for their take on a shotgun.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

PrBacterio posted:

I'll repost what I wrote in the E3 TVIV thread about this, because I think it's relevant here:

I'm super excited, but I also share your concerns, especially with how high everyone's expectations are. There's no way the final product will live up to every single person's lofty expectations.

But, since this is a team of young developers being overseen by Miyamoto, and since Nintendo isn't exactly shy about delaying games when necessary to add polish, I'm not too worried, especially since the developers seem to have a good sense of just how excited people seem to be. I'd imagine/hope they'd want to push even harder to meet everyone's expectations. :shobon:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

source

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I knew I was forgetting one.

I'd suggest neon booger green, but that'll probably be a default color even if there's no customizable ink. :v:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

The splattering paint about looks and reminds me of De Blob and i'll pick up any game that reminds me of that gem.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

I knew I was forgetting one.

I'd suggest neon booger green, but that'll probably be a default color even if there's no customizable ink. :v:

I think if we can't get custom ink colors, I'll settle for bright yellow and bright green. Pee vs Boogers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If you haven't played it before, google Tag: The power of paint, its a free game made by some students at Digipen who then got hired by Valve, and some of the ideas got incorporated into Portal 2's paint mechanics. It was probably inspiration for Splatoon as well, and its just generally fun and a very creative FPS, and again, totally free. So check it out!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 13, 2014

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Zaphod42 posted:

They mentioned something like the super weapons spawn in the map, and only if you control a significant majority of the ink color in a certain region. So there'll be like a sniper spawn room, and whoever gets that room to 75% their color gets the weapon, something like that. The details are pretty sketchy.

From the second Treehouse exclusive, you select your own super weapon at the beginning of the match and have to charge it up by taking territory. So you can determine from the jump what kind of "role" you want to play (attack, support, etc)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^ ah excellent, thanks for clearing that up.

Rocketlex posted:

Yeah I really hope they include deathmatch and CTF. The whole winning by paint thing is a totally cool mechanic and a good focus for this game, but it would take so little effort to include other modes too and they'd play pretty well too.

Especially CTF, deathmatch would really downplay the importance of color, but with CTF having your team laying down a "road" of paint and protecting that road so that the flag runner can squid his way back to base really fast would be fantastic.

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, the only bad thing about pushing the Gamepad has been the limitations on their usual design to be multiplayer. Hyrule Warriors only being local with one person using the pad and another using the screen, for example, is kind of a bummer. It's nice that they don't have to do splitscreen all the time anymore, but is utilizing the Gamepad for say, Star Fox, going to eliminate the ability to do battle mode?

Yeah, agreed. Luckily so far we haven't seen anything that would actually require you to use the gamepad, so they very well could implement local multiplayer. I hope so.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 13, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
It looks like Elimination would also work. I thought that was the victory condition at first because of the squids at the top of the HUD, I mistook them for 'how many people on our team are still standing'.

You know it's so weird seeing a Nintendo game about making small children explode.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Chaltab posted:

You know it's so weird seeing a Nintendo game about making small children explode.
As opposed to games about cock fights?

Try not to think about it too hard.

In unrelated news, squid is a fun word to say.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

When I was watching the Nintendo direct and I see Squidgirl the game come on I was like :stare:

This looks really fun though, only thing I wonder is what else will be in the package besides the MP because I don't think a fully TDM style game will sell too well on a nintendo console.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm super excited, but I also share your concerns, especially with how high everyone's expectations are. There's no way the final product will live up to every single person's lofty expectations.
I would be happy just playing the one map featureless E3 demo over and over again, I can't imagine being disappointed unless they do something real loving dumb to it in the next year.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Posting more fanart:

Splatoon is the real reason that Link*'s tunic was blue in the Zelda U trailer.
Source

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
This game holds the distinction of being the first shooty game I've been excited for since, like, Duke Nukem 3D. Also that picture of Link* getting blasted sucks because it's not a good size to be my wallpaper without editing.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

NBHS posted:

From the second Treehouse exclusive, you select your own super weapon at the beginning of the match and have to charge it up by taking territory. So you can determine from the jump what kind of "role" you want to play (attack, support, etc)

Splatoon is just full of great concepts. It will be interesting to see what kind of roles there are in the game. Also, people have mentioned game modes like CTF with the swimming through ink ability coming into play, and it does seem like that ability would be awesome for any game mode that involved racing to one point or another. Giving that Nintendo is seems to want to do more unique things with their shootyman game, I'm excited to see what kind of new gameplay they an come up with.

One thing I am concerned about is earning powerups by playing well. Though that seems to be a reasonable mechanic and works great for single player games, with a team multiplayer like this I worry it can make the winning team snowball, giving them more abilities to win harder and keeping the underdog team from having a chance to catch-up. However, that doesn't seem like the ind of thing Nintendo would want in a finished product, so I imagine they've come up with something to balance it out.

I like Splatoon being so different from other shooters because I think there's more potential in exploring those new ideas. For instance, does anyone remember the minigame from Mario Tennis where you had to hit paint balls at an image to paint it? Just make that competitive and there's a whole new game mode for Splatoon. I really hope Nintendo goes all out with this game; it will be exciting to see what they come up with.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I think my favorite mechanic that I've seen is the fact that you can be invisible if you stand still in your own ink as a squid. As someone who loved ambushing people as the Pyro in TF2, I can see this being my primary tactic.

Also, can you not shoot while walking through enemy ink? It always looks that way in gameplay videos.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

PrBacterio posted:

I gotta be honest here, both Mario Maker and Splatoon are games that have huge potential to be awesome but that, at the same time, I'm awfully worried about. What they've shown so far looks good, but unless they expand hugely on that it'll only end in disappointment :ohdear: Splatoon, in particular, will need a lot of variety in level design and setting, character looks/customisation (while the basic character design looks great, they all look kinda same-ish to me), game modes, weapons, and so on. It needs like, night time and underground levels with neon glow-in-the-dark paint, a variety of game modes (like for example, a domination or ctf mode where you have to/can prevent your opponents from reaching objectives/flags by blocking their path with your own colour ink), customisation and styling options to individualize your character. And it definitely, definitely needs voice chat for team play. If they deliver on all what we imagine for the game right now, it could turn out as one of the best multiplayer/arena shooters ever created, but there's so many ways for it to go wrong.
I'm liking all of those ideas. I feel like I should be sending Nintendo an email with ideas. I wonder if they even read those kinds of things. :ohdear: I wouldn't even ask if it was Sony or Microsoft.

Night levels with glowing paint sounds awesome. Perhaps some zero gravity levels would be interesting? You'd be propelling yourself around the level by spraying paint while also hitting the environment. Spraying other people pushes them away. You can also travel through the paint like normal. I'm imagining a team pulling off some crazy maneuver where they line up and spray each other in the back so the person in front is propelled exponentially further and right into the other enemies before they're prepared.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
If they didn't plan on additional modes, I'm not sure the popup at match start would say "TURF WAR, INK THE MOST TURF."

If Turf War was the only mode, they wouldn't need to explain it like that.

e: Also what is with the cat?

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 14, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Rookersh posted:

e: Also what is with the cat?

"TOP SECRET!"

No really, that's what they said. Certainly makes it sound like there's an actual story somewhere in this game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If the story isn't that these are a race of Bloober-people hybrids competing for territory on Delfino Island, where Mario has been assigned community service of cleaning up after them for his crime of bouncing on everyone's head, I don't want to know what it is.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Bicyclops posted:

If the story isn't that these are a race of Bloober-people hybrids competing for territory on Delfino Island, where Mario has been assigned community service of cleaning up after them for his crime of bouncing on everyone's head, I don't want to know what it is.
The fact that everyone in Mario Sunshine had trampolines for heads was one of the things that made it so great.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Right now the guys at Valve who bought up the Shadow Tag devs only to discard most of the actual paint-based mechanics in Portal 2 must be beating themselves up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The style of the game is really weird to me. Its odd to see a Nintendo game that's so...urban? I can't really describe it. Just something about seeing every character wearing modern clothes and moving through a city environment doesn't seem like the kind of designs they usually aim for. But maybe that's part of the point. It just doesn't really appeal to me so I can't help but be bothered by it.

Still, looks like a fun game. It better let you play online with more than one person though so I can team up with my brother to drown the world in ink. Admittedly I'll probably just spend most of the game turning into a squid and swimming through all the goo.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Honestly? I think it looks that way because Miyamoto is trying to put his own spin on the modern shooter. Pretty sure he mentioned not understanding CoD's appeal awhile back. Well, evidently he decided to make a shooter that HE would enjoy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rocketlex posted:

Also, can you not shoot while walking through enemy ink? It always looks that way in gameplay videos.

From what I saw, you probably really want to shoot when you're walking on enemy ink because it makes you slow and might even hurt you, so you want to get to your own ink as fast as possible, so making your own would be a gut reaction.

Internet Kraken posted:

The style of the game is really weird to me. Its odd to see a Nintendo game that's so...urban? I can't really describe it. Just something about seeing every character wearing modern clothes and moving through a city environment doesn't seem like the kind of designs they usually aim for. But maybe that's part of the point. It just doesn't really appeal to me so I can't help but be bothered by it.

Miyamoto's trainees said that when they came up with the concept of squids covering battlefields with ink, that they thought of urban locations since the concept sounded so much like doing graffiti.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Inverness posted:

I'm liking all of those ideas. I feel like I should be sending Nintendo an email with ideas. I wonder if they even read those kinds of things. :ohdear: I wouldn't even ask if it was Sony or Microsoft.
Does Reggie check twitter or something? Might be worth a shot.

FalseShockWorker
Jan 28, 2009
This looks like an oldschool Nickelodeon gameshow, but with magic squid powers. Awesome.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Gonna be mad if you can't make rude custom logos for your squid people to wear on their shirts similar to the graffiti customization on jet Set Radio. I mean the Squid people have little T shirt logos on their shirts themselves. Like some meta shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

This seems like such a weird thing to come from Nintendo. It looks like a $15 multiplayer-only PC/XBLA/PSN game that will be abandoned a couple months after release.

• Locked thread