Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Internet Kraken posted:

The style of the game is really weird to me. Its odd to see a Nintendo game that's so...urban? I can't really describe it. Just something about seeing every character wearing modern clothes and moving through a city environment doesn't seem like the kind of designs they usually aim for. But maybe that's part of the point. It just doesn't really appeal to me so I can't help but be bothered by it.

The art style is really atypical for Nintendo in a lot of ways. If you showed me this game fresh and asked me who was publishing it, my first guess would probably be Ubisoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Miyamoto's trainees said that when they came up with the concept of squids covering battlefields with ink, that they thought of urban locations since the concept sounded so much like doing graffiti.

reminds me a lot of jet set radio in style.

the inklings are loving adorable tho, i want them in smash.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rocketlex posted:

The art style is really atypical for Nintendo in a lot of ways. If you showed me this game fresh and asked me who was publishing it, my first guess would probably be Ubisoft.
My first guess would be Nickelodeon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

gobbledygoat posted:

reminds me a lot of jet set radio in style.

the inklings are loving adorable tho, i want them in smash.

If the game is popular and E3 was enough to keep the Wii U afloat, I bet one of them will show up in Smash Brothers 5, which given Nintendo's release schedule, will happen right around The Legend of Zelda's 50th anniversary (which will be when the release Zelda Wii U).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hey Hey Hey! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18HBtp9dyVE&t=22s 60fps vid just set it to 2x speed and see germans play it offscreen! Gives a better impression of what going in cold is like.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

IT LIVES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EXKQQmm9EE

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
That looks all kinds of fun.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Literally the only console shooter worth owning. God drat is Nintendo knocking it out in 2015.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It looks so good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Literally the only console shooter worth owning. God drat is Nintendo knocking it out in 2015.

Devil's Third, son.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

And here we were all thinking this would be a purely multiplayer affair.

Looks like they came up with some pretty rad and original enemy designs, single player could be pretty good.

:allears: Squid platforming on moving blocks looks amazing.

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There is now an official tumbler with translations of the twitter posts. (probably cause you can write an essay with 140 characters in Japanese).
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

:stare:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

El Diabolico posted:

There is now an official tumbler with translations of the twitter posts. (probably cause you can write an essay with 140 characters in Japanese).

Game gonna be rad.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I love how the weapons look like Nerf weapons from a hyperactive 8-year-old's imagination. That sniper rifle looks like it was designed by literal children and I think that's great.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
I'm shocked they're not gonna end up owing Super Soaker money.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

El Diabolico posted:

There's still time for them to polish the graphics right? I think that's the main thing that's putting me off most about this game. It looks like a really really shiny PS2 game in all the worst ways.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's still time for them to polish the graphics right? I think that's the main thing that's putting me off most about this game. It looks like a really really shiny PS2 game in all the worst ways.

I see you've avoided watching either trailer and any moving footage at all, especially at the landscapes and backgrounds, and focused entirely on the inklings on the results screen where they have weird hosed up teeth because they're squids and clipping because they're customizable.

You don't remember what PS2 games looked like.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NBHS posted:

I'm shocked they're not gonna end up owing Super Soaker money.

Game's not out yet.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Its on the WiiU so they have to be artistically creative while technically reserved in order for it to play well.

Plus its a game about paint, so you're going to be using a lot of resources just to render all the changing paint on the walls, so your character budget is pretty low compared to a simple FPS.

That said I think it looks fine and you're blind. :colbert:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I see you've avoided watching either trailer and any moving footage at all, especially at the landscapes and backgrounds, and focused entirely on the inklings on the results screen where they have weird hosed up teeth because they're squids and clipping because they're customizable.

You don't remember what PS2 games looked like.

No actually, the faces in general in all the footage I see look really off to me and there's a ton of clipping issues (the picture shown has her hair... tentacle thing going into her arm for example and her eyes look like decals more then anything)

It's not a very pretty game.

Edit: If they were to make a HD re-release of Klonoa 2, a early PS2 game I'd compare it to that really.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 17, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No actually, the faces in general in all the footage I see look really off to me and there's a ton of clipping issues (the picture shown has her hair... tentacle thing going into her arm for example and her eyes look like decals more then anything)

It's not a very pretty game.

Edit: If they were to make a HD re-release of Klonoa 2, a early PS2 game I'd compare it to that really.

If you're that much of a :spergin: about clipping, how are you able to play video games? I see clipping in every single major AAA release, that's just the reality of the industry right now, poo poo can't be perfect. (Or doing so would massively reduce the amount of variety of content)

The eyes look fine. I'm sorry your inner child is dead.

Nope I'm not seeing it, that image looks like rear end. I can count the polygons from here.

It compares more directly with wind waker HD, another WiiU title.

B-b-b-b-b-but link's eyes are just decals :cry:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 17, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You're getting awfully defensive over someone saying they don't think the game looks to hot buddy. I think you might need to take a step back.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You're getting awfully defensive over someone saying they don't think the game looks to hot buddy. I think you might need to take a step back.

Guess I'm not allowed to think the graphics just look fine?

Maybe you need to take a step back :cheeky:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hahaha this thread

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Countblanc posted:

Hahaha this thread
we take our squid girls very seriously, yes sirree.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

we take our squid girls very seriously, yes sirree.

Can't have anybody kraken wise about them.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Hahaha this thread

You gotta be squiddin' me!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I honestly can't wait for this to come out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

quote:

We’ve received new intel confirming that Octolings can appear in pairs or even larger teams from time to time. The thought of facing a solo Octoling makes me weak in the knees, so taking on two or more sounds like a one-way ticket to the danger zone! I had one of our undercover interns ask Cap’n Cuttlefish about this situation, and he said that back in the day, he took out a few Octoling squads by focusing his fire on one at a time. Seeing as he lived to tell this tale, sounds like some good advice!

quote:

This is Octo Valley, the jumping-off point for Splatoon’s single-player story mode. It’s also where Cap’n Cuttlefish has been keeping a solitary watch on the growing Octarian threat! Not the most social of pastimes, but the path walked by heroes is often a lonely one. To that end, it sounds like his grandkids haven’t been visiting as much lately. Not that I asked, but he told me anyway…

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 2, 2015

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I love the art and character design. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inverness posted:

I love the art and character design. :allears:

Yeah me too :3:

quote:

This is Jelonzo, the charismatic clerk that runs the clothing shop. With his uncanny sense for the hottest trends, he’s viewed as a fashion god of sorts by all the young squids in town. He hails from distant waters and has a strange way of speaking that can make it difficult to understand him, but that may be one of the secrets of his success.

Other Shopkeepers:

Shrimp Dude Crusty Sean

Sea Anemone Lady

Horeshew Crab Boy

Stores:

Lots of accessories, looks like! Jackets, shoes, and hats at the very least are on sale.

quote:

New report! We’ve learned that headgear, clothing, and shoes all have different attributes that benefit those who wear them into battle. For example,this item comes equipped with “Ink Saver (Main),” which cuts down on the ink needed to fire your main weapon. There are apparently a whole lot more perks like this!

Here comes a follow-up to the previous report!
Each piece of gear comes with one perk, but can gain new ones the more it’s used. Each item also contains one top-class perk, just waiting to be unlocked! I guess practice really does make perfect!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 2, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You get to make loadouts of weapons:

quote:

Check this out! Squid fighters can take a set of three weapons into battle: a main weapon, a sub weapon, and a special weapon. Turf wars are considered a serious sport in the squid world, and as such, the weapon manufacturers are constantly competing to outdo one another with new innovations to help these athletes gain the upper hand…er, tentacle.

Nice render of the Super-Soaker

quote:

Boom! We’ve got some breaking news about one of the weapons used in Turf War battles. This here is the Splattershot! We’ve heard that it strikes the perfect balance between power, range, and rate of fire, making it the ultimate all-arounder. Easy to use but highly effective, it’s apparently the gold standard against which all other weapons are measured!

Also water is fatal to inklings and out-of-bounds:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 2, 2015

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
The tags they put on the posts are pretty great too, whoever's running that blog is having a lot of fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I hope I can play as an octopus at some point.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Octolings are this game's version of oddjob

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wanna play as that Sea Anemone lady, she looks chill as gently caress

Apparently her name is Annie and she has a clownfish named Moe? :cheeky:

also Cat Referee:

quote:

This is Judd. He’s a cat, if you can’t tell. Long shrouded in mystery, details about Judd are just now beginning to trickle in. Firstly, we can confirm that he’s (probably) not a dog. Also, Judd was born with the incredible ability to judge turf area at a glance to separate the winners from the losers. And it may look like he’s wearing a snazzy cat tuxedo, but that’s actually just the naturally occuring pattern of his fur. Some cats have all the luck.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think Splatoon is what gets me to buy the WiiU.

Has the release time gotten more specific than '1st half 2015' yet?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I think Splatoon is what gets me to buy the WiiU.

Has the release time gotten more specific than '1st half 2015' yet?

Looks like May 2015!!

Single player, 4-on-4 multi, and a hub world with some poo poo to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6zgkp1YBRw

This video shows off lots of new things like the shops, different weapon and item stats, and new weapons.

In addition to the SuperSoaker, there's some kinda fast-firing paint SMG, and what looks like a charging paint-railgun.

As for secondary items, there's a paint turret/sprinkler and there's a huge paint wall/shower thing that blocks paint...bullets.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 2, 2015

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Splatoon now has an official website: http://splatoon.nintendo.com/

I really like the design :3:

Inverness fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Videos of the game are starting to get uploaded, here's 2 from a new map shown, first with the mode shown at E3, Turf War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7q7FyFC_rA

And this one with the new King of the Hill style Splat Zones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZehXrZV8II

Finally, here's footage of the single player mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loZfGvEfkYA

• Locked thread