Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Thanks Internet posted:

Videos of the game are starting to get uploaded, here's 2 from a new map shown, first with the mode shown at E3, Turf War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7q7FyFC_rA

And this one with the new King of the Hill style Splat Zones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZehXrZV8II

Finally, here's footage of the single player mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loZfGvEfkYA

You can just run over people with the roller. :allears: I know what weapon I'm using

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Thanks Internet posted:

Videos of the game are starting to get uploaded, here's 2 from a new map shown, first with the mode shown at E3, Turf War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7q7FyFC_rA

Seeing this footage of the roller gives me high hopes for each weapon being unique and effective in a balanced way. The roller was really good at getting a consistent and big amount of ink everywhere, but he could never actually fight anyone head on. Despite that, it still looked really fun, especially sneaking up behind people and just running them over. I like seeing that; having each weapon be a different but fun way of playing is a reason that I'd play this game for a long time.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

mabels big day posted:

Seeing this footage of the roller gives me high hopes for each weapon being unique and effective in a balanced way. The roller was really good at getting a consistent and big amount of ink everywhere, but he could never actually fight anyone head on. Despite that, it still looked really fun, especially sneaking up behind people and just running them over. I like seeing that; having each weapon be a different but fun way of playing is a reason that I'd play this game for a long time.

Yeah, obviously there's no real way to know about balance until we can get our hands on the game, but for now it looks like they did a great job giving each weapon and super weapon unique. It's cool to see them in action too, because it's interesting to see the little things that you couldn't expect from an initial look at one. For example, you would expect the splat charger (sniper rifle) to be good at long-range combat, and it is, but the long narrow trail of ink it leaves also makes it good for mobility, especially to hard-to-reach places, which is a really cool synergy.

Thanks Internet fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 24, 2015

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Got the game preordered, got the 3-pack amiibos preordered. Telling all my friends to buy the dip too.

Can someone explain to me why i'm paying for physical DLC to unlock the ability to do daily quests :ohdear:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Because it comes bundled with sweet figurines.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Kyte posted:

Because it comes bundled with sweet figurines.

And you get cool outfits with them.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I think Im going to exclusively run over nerds with a giant paint roller

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I think Im going to exclusively run over nerds with a giant paint roller

If there are multiple forms of paint roller I hope there actually is a really slow one that does lots of contact damage.

Doesn't look like any of the sub weapons do damage though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

zolthorg posted:

If there are multiple forms of paint roller I hope there actually is a really slow one that does lots of contact damage.

Doesn't look like any of the sub weapons do damage though.

I'm pretty sure the game kills you after a single hit, regardless of the weapon. The reason to use a paint roller over a sniper rifle or whatever (mechanically, at least) is because it's huge and always active, unlike the guns which hit a pretty narrow range in front of you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
From the sound of things this game isn't gonna have any kind of online local multiplayer? That's pretty lame. I mean one of the few advantages of the Wii U's ridiculous gamepad is that two people can comfortably play the same game together. I hope I'm wrong about this though.

VVV I know there's a local multiplayer mode, I'm talking about playing the online modes with a second player. As an example I know you can do this in Mario Kart 8.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 4, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

From the sound of things this game isn't gonna have any kind of online local multiplayer? That's pretty lame. I mean one of the few advantages of the Wii U's ridiculous gamepad is that two people can comfortably play the same game together. I hope I'm wrong about this though.

This is wrong, there is local multiplayer

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Countblanc posted:

I'm pretty sure the game kills you after a single hit, regardless of the weapon. The reason to use a paint roller over a sniper rifle or whatever (mechanically, at least) is because it's huge and always active, unlike the guns which hit a pretty narrow range in front of you.
Super soaker kills in 3 and jr kills in 5 or so

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Super soaker kills in 3 and jr kills in 5 or so

Oh sorry

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Where do you preorder the bundle?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
But how many people can play splitscreen?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Two, it's 1v1.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

But how many people can play splitscreen?

There's a local 1v1 mode with one player on the TV and one on the gamepad where the players race to pop balloons that spawn all over the map, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of standard local multiplayer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/116646480680/classic-squiffer-exposed-one-of-our-undercover

Squiffer sounds like the splatoon version of a shotgun.

Its like a bottle of oxyclean gone mad :allears:

They also recently described "Splat Zones" mode, which is more like capture points than the normal paint everything turf war mode.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 22, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zolthorg posted:

Got the game preordered, got the 3-pack amiibos preordered. Telling all my friends to buy the dip too.

Can someone explain to me why i'm paying for physical DLC to unlock the ability to do daily quests :ohdear:

Physical and digital! :cheeky:

These are probably the best Amiibos that Nintendo has made yet though, they look great

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zaphod42 posted:

Physical and digital! :cheeky:

These are probably the best Amiibos that Nintendo has made yet though, they look great

I'm hoping that these Inkling amiibos means that at some point in time we'll get some squids for smash bros.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm hoping that these Inkling amiibos means that at some point in time we'll get some squids for smash bros.

I think Nintendo is just totally cool with making amiibos that'll only appear in 1-2 games, as lame as that is.

I'd love an amiibo in Smash but they'd probably have to do it as a free update? Paid DLC characters in smash would likely cause an uproar, and it'll be 5 years before we see another release. :cheeky:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zaphod42 posted:

Paid DLC characters in smash would likely cause an uproar

?

Mewtwo comes out on the 28th and costs $4.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

And they already announced several more DLC characters including Lucas and a few that get chosen by popular demand

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

elf help book posted:

?

Mewtwo comes out on the 28th and costs $4.

That's true, but he seemed like more of a bonus. Is his moveset gonna be really unique? I guess I haven't really been following smash in the last several months.

I'm getting mewtwo for free also (for buying both versions) so it kinda didn't register in my head as DLC :downs:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

And they already announced several more DLC characters including Lucas and a few that get chosen by popular demand

Well drat!

In that case bring on the inklings.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zaphod42 posted:

That's true, but he seemed like more of a bonus. Is his moveset gonna be really unique? I guess I haven't really been following smash in the last several months.

I'm getting mewtwo for free also (for buying both versions) so it kinda didn't register in my head as DLC :downs:

Well drat!

In that case bring on the inklings.

You should've already got your code, if you earned one. Check your email.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

elf help book posted:

You should've already got your code, if you earned one. Check your email.

Thanks for reminding me, I missed the email! Sure enough there it is.

I woulda gone and found it once it was out anyways, but good to know.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Non-bundle pre-orders have just opened up.

$59.99 USD
$69.99 CAD

good god that's expensive I'm used to Canadian price tags for Wii U games being $60, not $70. Doesn't mean I'm not getting it though.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Thanks for reminding me, I missed the email! Sure enough there it is.

I woulda gone and found it once it was out anyways, but good to know.

You misunderstand. Mewtwo is out, and the paid version of him isn't available until the 28th. He's been available since Wednesday before last, I believe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Prowler posted:

You misunderstand. Mewtwo is out, and the paid version of him isn't available until the 28th. He's been available since Wednesday before last, I believe.

Yeah I just saw a video of somebody playing as him.

That's weird that the free club nintendo guys get a few days of exclusive play. No biggie I guess.

I've been too busy with MKX and GTA5, but between Mewtwo DLC, Mario Kart DLC and Splatoon almost out its time to dust off the WiiU.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There'll be a Nintendo Direct for Splatoon next week (May 7, 11PM Japan time).

JP stream link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxbn868TgDQ
US stream link: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct
UK stream link: http://www.twitch.tv/NintendoUK

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

3 weeks to release!

About drat time another good wiiu game came out.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zaphod42 posted:

About drat time another good wiiu game came out.

What they gave the release date for Xenoblade?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

What they gave the release date for Xenoblade?

I dunno if its because it looks too anime or what but I can't get into that one.

Looks like a single player MMO.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno if its because it looks too anime or what but I can't get into that one.

Yeah that is basically Xenoblade.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zaphod42 posted:

Looks too anime?

It's as anime as Zelda, Mario, Kirby, F-Zero.....and everything else Nintendo churns out.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Splatoon is looking great and just anime enough for me, tbh

We got that direct on thursday and that'll be cool

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Hoping against hope for a demo announcement tomorrow. Given how many people appear to be on the fence for this one, it seems like a good idea. If the game's not so great it could potentially backfire, of course, but I've heard nothing but good things from people who've played it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tempura Wizard posted:

Hoping against hope for a demo announcement tomorrow. Given how many people appear to be on the fence for this one, it seems like a good idea. If the game's not so great it could potentially backfire, of course, but I've heard nothing but good things from people who've played it.

Yeah considering how unique the gameplay looks a demo would be pretty good. Unless like you said it sucks, hah.

Demos have been unfortunately rare this generation though.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Nintendo just posted on twitter that the Direct tomorrow will announce a Squid Research Lab project that YOU can take part in, so I'm assuming that is a demo. I agree that yes, in this game's case a demo would really be helpful. Well, unless it sucks of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

List of colors from the website:

No there's no white color you gross goons.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Nintendo just posted on twitter that the Direct tomorrow will announce a Squid Research Lab project that YOU can take part in, so I'm assuming that is a demo. I agree that yes, in this game's case a demo would really be helpful. Well, unless it sucks of course.

:dance: good news

Potential leaks (or rumors?) from tomorrow's direct:

-Set of super mario sunshine levels!
-Non-splatoon amiibo will grant equipment, like a mario hat from mario's amiibo.
-Hard difficulty and even one-shot kill Very-Hard difficulty unlocked after that
-Potential free game for purchasing Splatoon on eShop?
-Nintendo tournament mode?
-Future DLC stages based on other Nintendo franchises! Pikmin, Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Kirby
-Demo version after direct, 1 level of competitive and 1 level of campaign

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 6, 2015

• Locked thread