Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm super excited, but I also share your concerns, especially with how high everyone's expectations are. There's no way the final product will live up to every single person's lofty expectations.
I would be happy just playing the one map featureless E3 demo over and over again, I can't imagine being disappointed unless they do something real loving dumb to it in the next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Krysmphoenix posted:

And that's the end.

Still don't know the difference between the Splattershots. Basic but good.

Roller is great but has no vertical game. Someone above you on a crate? Hug the crate close or squid away.

Even when I know I'm getting the hang of the charge rifle, it still sucks. Maybe I just have lovely accuracy, but it's spraying power needs to increase.
Regular splattershot had a tighter pattern and more range, jr is more of your lovely COD spray SMG. I think the jr is objectively worse but it comes with the bubbler and better grenades, so you're making a sacrifice with your primary weapon for a more useful sub and super.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I used motion controls the whole time and kicked rear end. Went 10-0 with the stock splattershot one game. :cool:
Yeah gyro controls own.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Something keeping the Roller from being M1 Pyro (or perhaps limiting other weapons to roughly that level) is that most of the mobility options are available to everyone. A lot of the reason pyro was mediocre in TF2 was because you were just sorta stranded on the ground in a game where the strongest offensive classes could run 25% faster than you, fly through the air like jackasses, or just have 50% more health than you while hoovering up a lot of medic attention. The Roller can move around the level as quickly as any other weapon can barring unpainted vertical surfaces (and those can be scaled with relative ease).
The most powerful roller tech will be learning when not to roll.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

It could just be M1-vision, but I could almost swear the roller is actually faster while you're actually rolling paint on the floor.

Then again, you can pretty reliably beat it by backtracking with the splattershot, so maybe not? What did you guys all think about the roller's speed?
Its definitely slower than walking, and swimming is twice as fast as that. Just rolling up to someone is a great way to get yourself splatted.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I hope they add spawn protection and at least make it so i can chase down dumb people with the roller. and make the roller beam super smarter so that I'm not pointing it into the ground 2 feet away when im trying to deploy under pressure.
I think there is spawn protection so long as you stand inside the spawn point.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm playing with the Charger more this time, and I'm really coming to appreciate how to can quickly affect a long horizontal line. Uncharged shots are also useful.

I'm also experiencing some teleporting enemies this time, but I'm also playing against more usernames from Japan, so I guess that's to be expected.
I'm also playing with the charger more and yeah I'm liking it a lot more the more time I give it. Charged shots make it really easy to dive into enemy territory, and uncharged shots are pretty effective for cleaning up. Also if you go into the options and up the sensitivity a little bit, I think it makes the gyro controls even better.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

And down :)

I only played with the charger a couple rounds, couldn't really get it to work. Anyway, the roller is OP and it's not clear why any other weapon should merit consideration after that.
Rollers are insanely vulnerable to anyone standing even slightly far away or above you, and their attacks are super easy to avoid if you are paying attention. Its not even dramatically better than the other weapons at painting territory, with the exception of big wide open areas like the center of the warehouse or that storage area on the north side of the rig. It doesn't suck or anything, but its very much this game's shotgun. I think its cool that everyone thinks their favorite weapons are OP though, that probably says something.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Damone posted:

How does one not get 4 digits with a splat roller. Other than that most of my games have been hilariously close with less than half a percentage deciding between matches. Ink those walls too guys!
Walls don't count.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

Any chance the squid language will turn out to be a cypher and actually says stuff?
If its a cypher its a Japanese one. There's one squid-word I keep seeing all over the place like in the title screen for the squid jump minigame that looks like イカ.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pixaal posted:

I set sensitivity to max then I really started to enjoy the gyro controls. The max sensitivity is a bit high to free hand the controller. Rest your elbows on your knees while sitting so your hands are stable. This will give you steady aim. give about 30-45 degrees and press the camera reset button. You should now be good to look fully up and down without making insane motions. Gyro is impossible without max sensitivity, it turns into captain toad where the motion feels 1:1 and to look behind you, you literally look behind you.

1:1 gyros work in a computer chair with a 3DS they do not work for a TV based console where you still need the main screen. Star Fox is gyro controls in a computer chair is so much fun you aim by twirling around using your feet basically and it's fun :colbert:
They don't expect you to turn your body to turn your character, that's what the stick is for.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just want to have some nintendo water sports.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I assume you can, like, group up with your friends before queueing, right?
Not until august, lmao.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

If this old ad tons of people hated taught me anything is that the Squid-Kid commercial will over time only become more and more adored in retrospect.

Like seriously almost every baby gamer hated "Clean is better than dirty" back in the day.
That commercial was always good, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Reiley posted:

Don't spoil poo poo people would conceivably want to find for themselves, you dumb idiot.
I can't freakin believe people would spoil the fact Splatoon takes places on a post-apocalyptic Earth where rising sea levels wiped out humanity and brought on an age of squid supremacy. That's a messed up thing for people to do.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Please everyone turn off the motion controls... so it will be easier for me to cover you in paint.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anime Curator posted:

the person above me is a kid and the person below me is a squid
And what are you?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Are those guns going to be paid dlc? I assume not because lol unique dlc weapons but that's what my mind snaps to when I hear the phrase "dlc"
Nah I think they're supposed to come with the maps.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm gonna download my ink all over your face, nerd.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Icedude posted:

Yeah, I'm having that problem too. How do I use the secondary abilities my gear has? They don't have HUD icons like the main ones do. Also is there a way to reroll gear if you get traits you don't want?

In fact are traits even random? Pretty much everyone in starter gear seems to have had the same secondaries.
The traits on your gear are all passives, you don't have to use them. The starters might be the same, I don't know, but the traits on the bottom row get rolled when you level the gear up. There's supposed to be a way to reroll, but I don't know how that works.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think story level 8 takes place on one of the unreleased multiplayer maps, its far more open than any of base maps, it'll be pretty crazy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Reiley posted:

This game is very fun but the team shuffler seems really bad at evening out level disparities so even though you can't friendjoin a bunch of games are still stacked
Levels don't really mean poo poo though, except potentially better gear, its just time played. Hopefully ranked battle will help though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fix posted:

Kelp Dome is one of the early single player maps, isn't it? The first mission where you run into the Octolings or whatever they're called?
Yeah

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CatsPajamas posted:

For people who have been playing online and buying new weapons and gear: with the Amiibo missions done I've got 58500 coins to start. How far will that go? I think I've seen in screenshots the prices for things are usually in the thousands.
I just paid Spike 10k for a pair of headphones, and weapons and clothing in the stores get more expensive as you level up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I need to go back to my older guns. Splattershot pro just ain't workin for me. That thing chews through ink so fast I never seem to have any when I'm fighting.
Its good but you really need some ink saver stuff to use it effectively.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jarogue posted:

You know now that I think about it, how big are Inklings, to be the same size as a cat?
Its a big cat.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just found out the writing and script in general is different for EU versions of the game. It's way less funny and way more generic.

That's a shame.
Do you still get called a hipster?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nope. Final boss is a lot more generic and "i will defeat you"

No puns are made.
That makes me sad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The aerospray is the new roller, people just think its OP cause they're only just now getting exposed to it and don't know how to deal with it yet. In a straight fight they get shut down hard by longer ranged and more accurate weapons like the splattershot pro or .52 gal.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sorry I kill people really easy with the Aerospray and you dudes are flat out wrong. I build up the special so goddamn fast that when a sniper shows up I just inkzooka them then go back to spreading paint then surprise I have the inkzooka back by the time the enemy respawns. In a game of movement it's ULTRA easy to get in close and just tear people up- and even if the inkzooka isn't ready I can throw out a seeker and retreat the other way.

It's hilariously busted.
This post, but a month ago and about the roller.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mr. Unlucky posted:

this looks like a fun original take on an old genre and I would like to try it but unfortunately the wii u is a barren hellscape that it not worth buying even years into it :(

what the gently caress nintendo why did you have to be such a special little snowflake with your console designs over and over
You're Wrong.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Yes, but there is diminishing returns(according to the game, I don't think anyone knows how diminished yet).
In the firing range there are dummies with 0, 1, 2, and 3 defense stickers on them, and if you shoot each of them and look at your damage numbers it seems like each extra ability is half as effective as the last.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Black Mage Knight posted:

After getting the scrolls in single player I at first wanted to be sad for Judd, what with him being the last cat alive, but then I realized that he was depicted in the 2000 year old scroll. So he is basically an immortal cat living in a world of fish, and is a massively important part of their society. He is living the dream.
Squids aren't fish.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm glad this game doesn't have voice chat because it makes me want to be Toxic.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It begins...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like splat zones if only because you get fuckloads of coins if you win.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm stuck at work like some kind of not-kid, not-squid. What's the rundown on splatzones?
Its good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Did the server poo poo the bed?
They're pushing an update, maybe they're patching the spyke/judd exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Poultron posted:

Can you describe it without explicitly stating how to do it? I don't want people doing any Heinous poo poo up in here.
You build up a vibe, but before you cash it in you pay Spyke to mug someone/buy snails, then when you talk to Judd you get your vibe bonus + a refund of however much you gave Spyke. Heinous.

• Locked thread