Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I for one like that even people like me who can't aim for poo poo in console shooters will still be valuable contributors to the team effort. The art style is cute and it looks like there are a lot of mechanics that should keep it interesting. Does anyone know if the various weapons like the ink nuke, roller, or bazooka things that you pick before the game or are they picked up during a match?

Man, after this E3 I'm basically out of excuses for not owning a Wii U.

And if they allowed custom ink colors I'm certain you'd be seeing a whole lot of brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PrBacterio posted:

Ill say once again that, they do absolutely need to include dark underground or night-time levels with neon glow-in-the-dark ink, though :colbert:

That would be great. There are actually bioluminescent squids as well, so it would fit perfectly along with looking really cool.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 13, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

El Diabolico posted:

There is now an official tumbler with translations of the twitter posts. (probably cause you can write an essay with 140 characters in Japanese).
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

:stare:

Game gonna be rad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

we take our squid girls very seriously, yes sirree.

Can't have anybody kraken wise about them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Did they say what kinds of skills the items you unlock give? I'm guessing probably some things like ammo capacity or squidding faster in your team's ink.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope if Nintendo still remembers Splatoon when winter rolls around that they sell squid hats. I'd buy one and then never wear it in public because I'm a huge goon and it also doesn't get that cold where I live.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lemming posted:

It's hosed up that you would brag about this. Not very sensitive.

Bet that rear end in a top hat has lobster pajamas, too.

More importantly, os there a shock combo in the game? Please tell me there is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Game owns, but it's really apparent to me that I can't play console shooters for poo poo. I'm bad enough at them that the motion controls are honestly a better choice. Or picking roller and holding forward. There's a surprising amount of stuff to wrap your head around while also focusing on not getting shot up. It's easy to forget that you're also supposed to be turning the map into a work of art.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Technogeek posted:

I'm getting a W+M1 Pyro feel off the Roller: it has a pretty low skill floor, but something tells me the ceiling isn't much higher.

That's likely the case with basic operation, but that's why the roller is also a great at map coverage and they made the air burst roller. Also its sub and super weapons are great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope they have some night stages planned, because the place being lit up by bioluminescent squids and fluorescent paint would look so good. Why is Nintendo the only company that seems to remember what both color and art direction are at the same time?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Trasson posted:

Also, I absolutely love that you get a crosshair change if you're hovering over something in range you can hit. Makes things so much easier.

poo poo, I never even noticed that. Getting used to the ranges has been probably the hardest part for me, after trying to learn console shooter controls because kb+m has spoiled me.

Regarding the actual online bits, I had a few non-starters from people not connecting, and one really bad instance of lag or desync, but otherwise it felt really smooth.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 9, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope they add more hair styles for the boy, since the top knot is kinda lame. I guess there's always hats, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone want to take a stab at what arbitrary rules Serious Competitive Splatoon will no doubt have? Only the basic equipment is the obvious first one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rocketlex posted:

1-hour draft/ban for every piece of equipment in the game.

Before every 3 minute match. Also each match would have a 3 minute warmup round.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You know, I wonder now of they'll restrict clothing based on squid gender. I could see it going either way, unless they've already confirmed it in one direction or the other. If they're shooting for a kids market they probably don't want to risk upsetting parents, but on the other hand they might be wary of flak similar to that Tomodachi Life thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, Splatoon is actually part of the Zelda timeline.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lemming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0d0TRwYfg

Whoever this is is real good at video games

Splatoon might be the first esport worth supporting.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dizz posted:

This is the timeline where Japan finally confesses their love of squid and begins to mutate into a hybrid of it to survive.

So it's one of Link's dreams while he's dying in the beginning of Majora's Mask?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want this as my ring tone.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Violen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=306RNpQoTfw

The great mystery of squids in school uniforms has been solved.

SPOILERS it just changes between a boy's and girl's uniform.

Surely now the world can breathe again.

The hub city and variety of clothes is giving me some strong TWEWY flashbacks.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like their stress test finally succeeded. Hopefully this gets them what they need for a smooth launch.

In the one round I played I have determined that I still cannot use the charger for poo poo. Think I'll just wait until the shooting range in the real game to get a feel for it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sounds like Nintendo is setting up to save video games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope Nintendo is able to print some money with all this squid ink.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That 10 year old girl is approaching the game with more maturity and tactics than 90% of the 40 year old men who will be playing it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just walking around looking at rad miiverse posts in the lobby is great.

I'm not sure I want to see the apocalypse that Team Callie vs Team Marie will be if they do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

So far splatoon is fun as hell

E: Sometimes I feel like tilt controls are excellent and other times Im looking in weird directions and losing

I'm having the same experience. I can occasionally manage to get things working right and separate horizontal and vertical motion, but most of the time I just shut down on one of the aspects or try to do all my turning with the pad and up and down aiming with the stick.

A SEXY MISTAKE posted:

Goddamn it I just got the Booyah Base pun. drat you Treehouse, I thought it was a play on Shibuya.

It can't be both?

• Locked thread