Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

How the gently caress is there so much fan art for this game already? :psyduck:

Anyway, I'll echo some of PrBacterio's concerns about it. I think it needs to be built out a lot more before it's a full game. It certainly can be and I hope that it will be, because it has a 2015 release date, but so do a lot of games that Nintendo is working on. Hopefully they devote the energy into making different kinds of weapons, modes, courses and customization with the muliplayer/online options to do it justice. I'm also a little worried, given the Wii U's track record and Nintendo's with online, that it'll be tough to organize a ton of eight player matches, so I hope there's some kind of strategy/campaign mode for playing at home alone or with a few friends.

It looks really innovative, cool and fun, but if it doesn't get a lot of work, it will very much wasted potential. Hopefully they'll devote the resources to build it out, especially since it made such a...

....splash...

at E3.

*horns.aiff*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

There was fanart and plushies made of the starter Pokemon hours after they were revealed. Fan art a few days after the reveal of a fun looking Nintendo IP with characters that don't look generic and boring isn't really strange.

I guess, but people kind of already know what the Pokemon are. We don't even know who the strange squidcat is or why the squidgirls are competing to graffiti ink up their territories yet, all is mystery in squidland.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I hope there is an canonical database of the squidgirl's extensive backstory so that this fan art won't be weird.

Hopefully, the offsite wiki will be clear about what aspects of the squidiverse are canon and which are mere fan speculation. I don't want to have to retcon my fan videos featuring the Splatoon amiibos later on because of some damned rumor about the blue ink timeline.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

C-Euro posted:

This looks pretty cool but I'll be a lot more likely to buy it if it has local multiplayer. Which, given the push to give it some good Gamepad features, seems up in the air. Not that taking advantage of the Gamepad is bad.

Also the art style reminds me of Despicable Me, which I really liked so that's another point in its favor.

Yeah, the only bad thing about pushing the Gamepad has been the limitations on their usual design to be multiplayer. Hyrule Warriors only being local with one person using the pad and another using the screen, for example, is kind of a bummer. It's nice that they don't have to do splitscreen all the time anymore, but is utilizing the Gamepad for say, Star Fox, going to eliminate the ability to do battle mode?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If the story isn't that these are a race of Bloober-people hybrids competing for territory on Delfino Island, where Mario has been assigned community service of cleaning up after them for his crime of bouncing on everyone's head, I don't want to know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

gobbledygoat posted:

reminds me a lot of jet set radio in style.

the inklings are loving adorable tho, i want them in smash.

If the game is popular and E3 was enough to keep the Wii U afloat, I bet one of them will show up in Smash Brothers 5, which given Nintendo's release schedule, will happen right around The Legend of Zelda's 50th anniversary (which will be when the release Zelda Wii U).

• Locked thread