Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i lose half my syllables for 30 minutes after lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
A whole human body has something like 110,000 calories in it. I'd be sleepy too.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Hey gang! We know you guys are ravenous to devour more story after that last scrumptious scene*, but SFP will be taking two weeks off! Thanks for checking in, and we’ll be back on September 25th!

*The words in italics, you’ll notice, all have to do with eating, and in the last scene somebody ate a guy. Quelle surprise!

— Brennan

:nallears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Hey gang! We know you guys are ravenous to devour more story after that last scrumptious scene*, but SFP will be taking two weeks off! Thanks for checking in, and we’ll be back on September 25th!

*The words in italics, you’ll notice, all have to do with eating, and in the last scene somebody ate a guy. Quelle surprise!

— Brennan

:nallears:

zzz

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I will not stand for this blatant disregard of the holy day of 9/11. Shameful!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

They've done a lot of work, so I'm glad they're taking a break. Need to catch your breath after going at such an intense pace!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Didn't they take an entire month off before starting the chapter?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

comic's dyin', cloud

e: octolady cuddles herself

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What a touching tribute...

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The time honored webcomics tradition of excessive time off after the bare minimum of effort exerted

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Paladinus posted:

Never forget the day the comics died.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Gotta take a breather after that rush of plot and backgrounds. You can't maintain this breakneck pace forever!

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Uncle Wemus posted:

The time honored webcomics tradition of excessive time off after the bare minimum of effort exerted
i love it

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Brought To You By posted:

Speaking of Parasyte why is that guy so clean after eating a guy? There's barely any blood and I know from personal experience that eating a guy head first is messy.

.... could you expand on that a tiny bit?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Paladinus posted:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

As the brief respite continues, let's all take a moment to consider how the much better comic K6BD is literally in the middle of the same basic structure of scene as the ... thing... SFP just did: The antagonist is introduced in the corridors of their power, with all their pomp, and their immense power is displayed to secondary characters. All of which serves to set the stage for the actual confrontation.

I'm honestly perplexed at how often SFP has managed to be doing the same broad structural things that K6BD is doing at a given time, but infinitely worse. And SFP has two people working on it!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well, I'm not surprised really, having ironically followed bad comics like Dominic Deegan for years.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

.... could you expand on that a tiny bit?

The personal part was a bit of a joke, but stories about monsters eating people aren't uncommon. This scene from Parasyte sprung to mind when that one page dropped

But the aftermath was just a dab of blood on his shirt when, at least in the same manga, it's pretty messy to eat a person and later these creatures opt to strip down their shirts at least before feeding and there are usually leftovers as a human stomach only has so much volume.

But we can't have anything in those pesky backgrounds that might give us more information and maybe be more creepy than signalling that the big boy just needed a bib.

Joe Slowboat posted:

As the brief respite continues, let's all take a moment to consider how the much better comic K6BD is literally in the middle of the same basic structure of scene as the ... thing... SFP just did: The antagonist is introduced in the corridors of their power, with all their pomp, and their immense power is displayed to secondary characters. All of which serves to set the stage for the actual confrontation.

I'm honestly perplexed at how often SFP has managed to be doing the same broad structural things that K6BD is doing at a given time, but infinitely worse. And SFP has two people working on it!
Operant knows how to craft a scene and build up people while actually making them sound cool and look imposing. Most recent page could be the last we get of Solomon for the moment and I think just those 5ish would be enough to sell him to just about anyone with or without context of the entire series. Meanwhile in SFP we have this secret Cabal and it just seems like the visual vocabulary (as well as the literal vocabulary) used to describe them is basic and less sophisticated. They have this party going on to maybe show their status and influence. Getting to them requires a venice boat ride so they are presented as foreign to our American-based hero. And the alien head chomp and elderly use of powers hints at either a more ancient threat or maybe misinformation, either of which could turn the understanding of the biodynamic storm on it's head. There are things happening but it just needs a better polish to really sell it. But it's so static and boring it can't accomplish it at all, at least too me.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Plus where Operant is giving K6BD his absolute best, at least one half of the SFP duo is pretty clearly phoning it in, which will never not hurt a work's quality.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Two people half assing it should at least give us one rear end

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

The comic is rear end, so I guess they did.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

that gives you a quarter rear end, you fool. you rear end moron

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that gives you a quarter rear end, you fool. you rear end moron

Lol, I am definitely going to use this IRL.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Man I cant wait for tonight's content free wet fart

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Nonsense, they'll be posting fan art and fan comics to fill the void. Just like paranatural, K6BD, Daughters of Lilly. Pretty much any popular and long running comic that has a creative community backing them. They wouldn't just go cold turkey with nothing after a month of nothing? Right?

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Brought To You By posted:

Nonsense, they'll be posting fan art and fan comics to fill the void. Just like paranatural, K6BD, Daughters of Lilly. Pretty much any popular and long running comic that has a creative community backing them. They wouldn't just go cold turkey with nothing after a month of nothing? Right?
i enjoy it when k6bd does this because its fans are all completely mad

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

quote:

To our dear and darling readers!

Hello again, gang! Brennan here! As the poet Robert Burns once said, “the best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men gang aft agley,” and sadly, our schemes at SFP have gang all the way agley this time. We’re sorry to say we don’t have any more comic for you today. Molly and Brennan want to make this final chapter of the story everything it can be, and carving out the time to get it just right has been trickier than we expected. Molly is busy writing for the awesome animated show Owl House, and getting ready for The Hidden Witch, her amazing sequel to The Witch Boy, to drop on October 18th. Brennan is now a full-time cast member and writer for College Humor, and has a rad show called [REDACTED UNTIL WEDNESDAY 9/25] dropping this Wednesday. Between all these projects, we just haven’t been able to find the time to produce a final chapter worthy of our amazing readers, so rather than rushing or cutting corners, we would rather go on a longer term hiatus until we can wrap up this story in the way you all deserve. Our amazing community of readers has supported this comic for the past seven years (Holy Moly! Seven years!) and your generosity, enthusiasm and kindness have been gifts for which we cannot begin to express our gratitude. So thank you, both for your readership, and for bearing with us while we get things just right. Our intention is to start back up this winter, and we will absolutely keep you all updated both here on the website, as well as on our social media (@MollyOstertag and @BrennanLM on Twitter) when it looks like we’re ready to jump back in with regular updates.

Thank you all, from the bottom of our hearts!

— Brennan & Molly
:unsmigghh:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Honestly i think the weirdest thing about this is that by association i think less of college humor and molly. i didn't think thinking less of college humor was possible, but here we are.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

ahahahahahahaha

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao im glad they're parting ways

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
College Humor is still a thing?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
this comic is dead af

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
RIP in pasta.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

lol it ended how it lived
a lazy disappointment.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Godspeed to Brendan and Molly in their future endeavors.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I'm always confused to see that this is the final chapter, given that very little has happened in the story. Or rather, things have happened, but they haven't built up to any kind of narrative structure. She hasn't really learned anything, and most of the people in her life have advanced or changed and she really hasn't. Hell, most people she's come in contact with have actually had their lives become worse, or at least not been improved.

Here's, off the top of my head, the stuff the final chapter needs to cover.
- The Conspiracy
- What the hell is going to happen to Patrick now
- Where is Clevin
- Who the hell that fake professor was
- What Paladin and Feral are doing now
- What Allison is going to actually DO to address the problems in the world
- A plot

I'm not totally sure why they didn't just abandon this when it became clear they were both feeling meh about it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I find it hard to believe that the last two months of comic weren't their best effort.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

I'm always confused to see that this is the final chapter, given that very little has happened in the story. Or rather, things have happened, but they haven't built up to any kind of narrative structure. She hasn't really learned anything, and most of the people in her life have advanced or changed and she really hasn't. Hell, most people she's come in contact with have actually had their lives become worse, or at least not been improved.

Here's, off the top of my head, the stuff the final chapter needs to cover.
- The Conspiracy
- What the hell is going to happen to Patrick now
- Where is Clevin
- Who the hell that fake professor was
- What Paladin and Feral are doing now
- What Allison is going to actually DO to address the problems in the world
- A plot

I'm not totally sure why they didn't just abandon this when it became clear they were both feeling meh about it.

- Is Allison's superhero support group going to fall apart
- Will there be any #metoo style consequences for what Allison did to Max
- Will anything come of the anti-superhero movement
- Is Mary going to be relevant to the comic again
- What of the rest of the world's superheroes
- Who is the Real Big Dad

(these will all be forgotten)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Again, it's pretty clear this is the Patrick show now and the rest of the comic will concern Patrick and the conspiracy. Don't expect more than a passing mention of anything that actually mattered to Alison over the rest of the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Everything from page 1, it was all a fever dream induced by tribulations of Donald Trump's presidency. Very meta.

• Locked thread