Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It depends on how they want to connect Kaylee's story with Allison's. I had had a thought that there wouldn't be any actual interaction between Allison and the invisible assassin and that it would be a third party who actually deals with her. Maybe Paladin will be responsible for the tech needed to detect and detain the criminal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yo just for reference the 2-8% figure isn't "false," its "unfounded-" which can mean anything from "I was traumatized and fingered the wrong person" to "I was bullied into covering it up by my abuser" to "It happened but its he said she said." So even within that the actual flat out lies are an even smaller subsection.

Also, being more worried about being false rape accused (which would require your goony rear end to actually interact with people) than being raped means that you empathize more with rapists than their victims. That's exactly what the comic is trying to point out. You are far, far more likely to be raped (or to stand idly by while a friend rapes someone) than to ever be falsely accused, regardless of gender- so why are you so worried about the falsies?

Because subconsciously you think of yourself as someone who might "grey zone" rape someone, not as someone who might be raped. So maybe work that poo poo out before raising a fuss about "false rape."

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I'd also like to point out something the author wrote on tumblr right at the start of the chapter and linked to it as part of their trigger warning on page 1:

quote:

SFP is ultimately about about power, ethics, and making a better world, and it is impossible to have a serious conversation about how to make a better world without addressing rape culture and the staggering degree of violence specifically targeted against women.

They're addressing the level of violence towards women, and especially sexual violence. It was never going to have a male victim or be about false accusations.

If you don't want to be accused of being an MRA, maybe you shouldn't bring up MRA talking points that are completely irrelevant to the story.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brought To You By posted:

Works Cited:
1. Real life
2. Real Life
3. Real Life
4. Real Life
5. Real Life

Not cited here:
Real Life

I was willing to give your argument a shot, and clicked the first link you gave. The guy in it, Kopin, injures the girl's neck, constantly says how it couldn't have been rape because they were friends, says that she "totally wanted it, brah", and that it COULDN'T have been him who left monjo huge bruises on the girl's neck that her roommates urged she go to the emergency room over.

Just wanted to make sure this was said, since this was the evidence given to support the idea that false rape accusations are made ALL the time. A rapey dudebro who asserts that he couldn't have been the raper, because they were friends.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Seriously, bringing up "Won't someone please think of the white male rapists?!?" is, like, the definition of rape culture.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Phylodox posted:

Seriously, bringing up "Won't someone please think of the white male rapists?!?" is, like, the definition of rape culture.

#notallrapists

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I also really don't think that one dude in the convenience store was innocent, either. Strong Female Protagonist seems way too genre and issue savvy to pull a false rape accusation twist. I think (hope) it's more likely they're trying to show (which is reinforced by the Miles scene) that not all rapists are remorseless dudebro back-slappers, but despite being thinking, feeling, regretful human beings, they're still rapists.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

I also really don't think that one dude in the convenience store was innocent, either. Strong Female Protagonist seems way too genre and issue savvy to pull a false rape accusation twist. I think (hope) it's more likely they're trying to show (which is reinforced by the Miles scene) that not all rapists are remorseless dudebro back-slappers, but despite being thinking, feeling, regretful human beings, they're still rapists.

Did anyone say he was innocent? The sordid details are thankfully not part of the story, but at best he was complicit. He was remorseful (which makes him less horrible than his friends) but that shows he had a reason to be remorseful.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Did anyone say he was innocent? The sordid details are thankfully not part of the story, but at best he was complicit. He was remorseful (which makes him less horrible than his friends) but that shows he had a reason to be remorseful.

It can go a lot of ways. If this event is as similar to the Steubenville rape case as it appears on the surface there would have been some video or pictures taken of the act. He could have been an active participant just as much as he could have been the cameraman which wouldn't make him any less party to, or guilty of violating Kaylee.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
All we know at this point is that the creative team singled him out for some reason and that he seemed less horrible than his companions. I'm sure we'll find out more about it as the story progresses.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Whatever else happens, this thread derail was worth it just to see that. :allears:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Cat Mattress posted:

It's implied he was at least on trial with his buddies meaning he probably did more than just film it. I don't know how it works in law, but if all he did was observe and send out video, wouldn't he have a separate trial?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poison Mushroom posted:

Whatever else happens, this thread derail was worth it just to see that. :allears:

This isn't even a derail, this thread is going to be like this constantly :unsmigghh:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Tollymain posted:

This isn't even a derail, this thread is going to be like this constantly :unsmigghh:

Finally got a feminism thread in BSS. :smuggo:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I think Paladin is the killer

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Level Slide posted:

Oh thank god, I'm not the only one.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh thank god, I'm not the only one.

That would follow the old Law and Order "the special guest star that shows up" theory of solving the crime.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SVU: Superpowered Victims Unit, staring Ice-T (Note: Has Ice powers now)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Level Slide posted:

That talk about empowering the girl and making her into a hero instead of a victim, I can see that coming from someone missing a limb.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Still, you know who we haven't seen in a long time?

I have no idea what this associate of Menace and Cleaver can do.

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-2/page-14-2/

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Her name's Graveyard (it's in the alt text and I think Patrick mentions it at one point). No idea what her powers are, but some of the dialog later on makes it sound like she and Cleaver usually operated as a pair.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 19, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Two Graveyards??? :aaa:

e: not fast enough on that there edit button pardner :clint:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The alt-text on that page points out that her laptop is falling apart; I've been wondering if her power is involved there. It'd make sense with her name - maybe she has some kind of decay-based powers?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I also like the nice touch there of having Cleaver not be up to date on technology. He has goddamned knives for hands, of course he's not going to know poo poo about the internet or technology, he can't use any of it! The last time he probably watched a video that someone else didn't start for him was when he was a kid.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

That is an excellent observation. He's also probably been in and out of prison, and when he's out he's mostly either cutting people up or in storage waiting to cut people up. Cleaver strikes me as the sort of dude you just kind of catapult into the middle of a bad situation to make it worse.

Mercury Hat posted:

It's implied he was at least on trial with his buddies meaning he probably did more than just film it. I don't know how it works in law, but if all he did was observe and send out video, wouldn't he have a separate trial?

Actually, it depends. Related offenses can be tried at the same time even if they aren't the same crime. I was on a jury for a racketeering trial where a couple of people were being tried for arson, a couple of others for money laundering, etc. If Jake "only" filmed the action he might have been up on a conspiracy charge with the rest of them. (All you have to do for a conspiracy charge is reach an agreement with one or more other people to break the law in the future.) That'd be enough to put them all in the same trial.

It's also possible he's just as guilty as everyone else, but has the good sense to realize he's a shithole after the fact.

Tollymain posted:

This is actually true. The comic is pretty much going to keep being about heavy social issues, so as long as we're discussing it, our opinions about those issues will come out from time to time. It'd be nice if we could keep it at least kind of civil, though.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

idonotlikepeas posted:

Actually, it depends. Related offenses can be tried at the same time even if they aren't the same crime. I was on a jury for a racketeering trial where a couple of people were being tried for arson, a couple of others for money laundering, etc. If Jake "only" filmed the action he might have been up on a conspiracy charge with the rest of them. (All you have to do for a conspiracy charge is reach an agreement with one or more other people to break the law in the future.) That'd be enough to put them all in the same trial.

I love any opportunity to link to this: http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=18

I believe it's about two chapters in that they discuss being an accomplice, and what you can and can't be charged with. :v:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, anybody with even the slightest interest in how criminal law works should read that comic.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Also if Kelsey wasn't conscious at the time then nobody but those four would actually know who did what.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Ugh I knew as soon as I opened this with in the first page there would be a rape discussion.

I really super enjoy the art on this as well but I kind of liked it a little bit more when it was black and white. It get's a little preachy but otherwise I find it pretty down to earth.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
but seriously even if all four of them were stone cold rapists that doesnt mean its a good thing they got murdered

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, that would appear to be the general consensus :v:

E: Objectively, murdering them is the wrong way to handle this; but I personally ain't exactly weeping for them myself.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 20, 2014

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

A big flaming stink posted:

but seriously even if all four of them were stone cold rapists that doesnt mean its a good thing they got murdered

Maybe not, but they were stone cold rapists (3 out of 4 at least) who got away with it completely scot-free, so I don't really mind that they all got murdered. Kinda fine with it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Oh hey, an update.

It's nice to see Alison's idealism clash with the practicality of those who aren't demi-gods.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I just realized the reason she doesn't drink is probably because Drunk Alison would be a massive public safety hazard.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

reignonyourparade posted:

I just realized the reason she doesn't drink is probably because Drunk Alison would be a massive public safety hazard.
More like she cant get drunk (but you probably realize this?)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Nah. From the alt-text for this page:

Mmm! Bubble tea! Alison doesn't drink alcohol, for public safety reasons.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's entirely possible that it's both - she'd metabolise alcohol instantly but she's never put it to the test in case she doesn't.

Was Viral ever shown drinking? If painkillers don't affect her I figure alcohol wouldn't either, but they went to a lot of bars.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You really shouldn't get totally drunk at a party by yourself. Nothing good's gonna happen.

Also you might get killed on the way back. Walking around drunk is really dangerous.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenebrais posted:

It's entirely possible that it's both - she'd metabolise alcohol instantly but she's never put it to the test in case she doesn't.

Was Viral ever shown drinking? If painkillers don't affect her I figure alcohol wouldn't either, but they went to a lot of bars.

I think Feral metabolized that poo poo super fast. So, she just drank more and faster :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Tollymain posted:

I think Feral metabolized that poo poo super fast. So, she just drank more and faster :pseudo:

I imagine the hangovers would be short but excruciating.

• Locked thread