Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

I imagine the hangovers would be short but excruciating.

I dunno, she took that sword through the head pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

I think Feral metabolized that poo poo super fast. So, she just drank more and faster :pseudo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIC0T4fWQLc

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Jackard posted:

More like she cant get drunk (but you probably realize this?)

Tenebrais posted:

It's entirely possible that it's both - she'd metabolise alcohol instantly but she's never put it to the test in case she doesn't.

That's not necessarily true, I don't think we've ever gotten any information that suggests her metabolism is abnormal. "You are not super-strong, at least not biologically" suggests her physiology is basically normal (at least compared to Cleaver's "muscular, dermal and osteodynamic" anamoly), except that she can exert and withstand incredible force for some reason.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I was thinking along the lines of her immunity to damage also covering chemical harm, which would include toxins like alcohol. I don't think we've seen any evidence either way on that score.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Her anomaly is referred to as "autonomic somadynamism". Unpacking that: autonomic just means she doesn't have to consciously command it to happen. The root "soma-" refers to the body as a complete and distinct unit, and the "dyna" fragment means "power". The word suggest that her body has the ability to automatically make itself powerful, which ties in with the doctor's statement that it's basically under her control.

Which does raise another interesting question: what exactly are the limitations on this power? The standard laws of physics already don't apply here. Is there a physical limitation at all, or is that under her control too?

All that being said, we know she bleeds if you can overpower her body's systems. There's no way of knowing based on the information we have, but I'm guessing alcohol would work fine on her, and given that they've now brought it up twice we might be looking at a demonstration of that at some point in the future.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

idonotlikepeas posted:

but I'm guessing alcohol would work fine on her, and given that they've now brought it up twice we might be looking at a demonstration of that at some point in the future.

Or it could just be some (reasonable) world-building. It's not like superhero-gets-drunk-and-causes-problems is something no one else has done.

On the other hand, it occurs to me that something interesting could happen story-wise if someone "accidentally" spikes her drink at a party, and/or tries to date-rape her.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Axiem posted:

Or it could just be some (reasonable) world-building. It's not like superhero-gets-drunk-and-causes-problems is something no one else has done.

On the other hand, it occurs to me that something interesting could happen story-wise if someone "accidentally" spikes her drink at a party, and/or tries to date-rape her.

I really hope they never go in the direction of that second one, I am uncomfortable with the subject matter of this chapter as it is.

Thankfully, that's the kind of mistake that I think no realistic character could be stupid enough to make.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tollymain posted:

I really hope they never go in the direction of that second one, I am uncomfortable with the subject matter of this chapter as it is.

Thankfully, that's the kind of mistake that I think no realistic character could be stupid enough to make.

We've seen random people running up to her and hitting her with stuff and that rapist tried to scare her off by being aggressive. An immoral dumbass isn't that unrealistic a character, but I doubt very much this story is going to go that way.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, drat, when I clicked on this thread I thought it'd be about Kate Beaton's gag comic. I need to read this now.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Carrasco posted:

That's not necessarily true, I don't think we've ever gotten any information that suggests her metabolism is abnormal. "You are not super-strong, at least not biologically" suggests her physiology is basically normal (at least compared to Cleaver's "muscular, dermal and osteodynamic" anamoly), except that she can exert and withstand incredible force for some reason.

If I had to guess? Humans are, in extreme circumstances, able to exert strength far greater than what is normally available, due to stress temporarily overriding mental limits. We don't have access to it normally because if we went around with all of our mechanically available strength on tap 24/7, we'd rip our muscles off our bones because our bodies cannot physically handle the exertion for more than extremely brief periods. Since Alison is, for all intents and purposes, indestructible, she can tap into this strength any time she wants for as long as she wants because her body is able to handle the forces involved easily.

This wouldn't explain the sheer scale of what she can do, mind, but in true superhero fashion, it's enough of a near-scientific handwave to justify it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

So, do we think Pintsize is being serious at this point? I was pretty sold on the previous text message, but unironically saying "life is despair" is pretty hardcore.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I feel like Alison is the kind of person where if she thought he was being serious, she would have been over to help him a lot sooner.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I feel like Alison doesn't really have respect for Hector. He's still very attached to his childhood image of heroism, which is childish and distasteful to her. I could easily see that meaning she doesn't take the emotional distress he's going through seriously even though it is probably very serious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I get the feeling that he probably does this poo poo a lot.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I get the feeling that he probably does this poo poo a lot.

He does seem to mess around quite a bit, but when it gets rough he still throws down, even if punks try to get in his way.

So yeah I don't think he's serious either, but WHO KNOWS.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
These texts read more like passive-aggressive facebook statuses than anything else.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
"BRB getting murdured #fml #cleaversadick"

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pavlov posted:

"BRB getting murdured #fml #cleaversadick"

You'd be a dick too if you tumor filled cripple in constant pain and government issued shorts. Now that I think about it, Cleaver going to the bathroom is a pretty traumatic experience.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Especially in the setup they have him in now. Do they just, like, turn off some of the lasers? Bring in a bunch of people in special suits? Is a forklift involved?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The truth is those blades are composed of uric crystals

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

In today's SFP, see how much you can hate a fucker in just one page.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Turns out it's a lot.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Fucker's gonna die and people will be cheering it.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Now, now, let's not be judgmental. Maybe she really did trip and hit her eye on a doorknob, and her husband's just grumpy because he's had a rough day at work.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

#notallabusers

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Hmm. Are we setting up another invisible-person-throat-slitting here? That particular person/thing/whatever was on a bus to New York, but maybe there was a stopover? Or maybe this is in the past? Or maybe it's related in some other way, I guess?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'd be lying if I said I was not frustrated with switching to another subplot instead of getting to the Pintsize issue, but I am interested in seeing how it all ties together.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Slashrat posted:

Fucker's gonna die and people will be cheering it.

Yeah, hard to imagine this guy has a long life ahead of him.

I'm thinking two, three pages, tops.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I bet he's dead on literally the next page.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Alternately, either of them could be the vigilante throat-slasher. Her taking out frustrations, him doing the ugly right thing that somebody's gotta do. ...or is it only young folks who can be biodynamic? I'm not 100% on the superpower rules of the world.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Squidster posted:

Alternately, either of them could be the vigilante throat-slasher. Her taking out frustrations, him doing the ugly right thing that somebody's gotta do. ...or is it only young folks who can be biodynamic? I'm not 100% on the superpower rules of the world.

"We have not discovered a biodynamic individual older than 15 years of age." That was one of the flashbacks; during the new storyline, the upper bound is probably about 21 or 22.

Also, in today's page, you can see the guy's knuckles are bruised in panel 3. Nice detail. Obviously he works with his hands and is grumpy he got hurt at work :downs:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The vigilante throat-slasher is a young woman, you see her silhouette here.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The only known superheroes were in utero when the mysterious storms covered the world. It has not yet been revealed whether their specific anomalies or biodynamism in general can be passed on to their offspring.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I love this comic. It's nice to have a Watchmen/Irredeemable style superhero deconstruction story that doesn't get too grim and actually feels hopeful sometimes too.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Pavlov posted:

I bet he's dead on literally the next page.

Spot on.

Anyway, seems like showing bad judgement as a judge is now a crime punishable by death, according to the Law of the Invisible Vigilante Slasher

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Slashrat posted:

Spot on.

Anyway, seems like showing bad judgement as a judge is now a crime punishable by death, according to the Law of the Invisible Vigilante Slasher

Well, that and the strong wife beating/daughter abusing vibe that was coming across.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

cafel posted:

Well, that and the strong wife beating/daughter abusing vibe that was coming across.

Given the implied timeframe for all of this, I don't think IVS knew about those parts, and he or she doesn't strike me as the type go all the way out there without the intent to kill. Even were he a decent husband and father, he'd probably be just as dead.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Slashrat posted:

Spot on.

I think this is probably the judge who let the boys who raped that girl walk

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RickoniX posted:

I think this is probably the judge who let the boys who raped that girl walk
Yea I was wondering how he was relevant, this strip explains it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, even if the old guy was a dick, why would she kill him for being the judge at the trial? If it was a real criminal trial, the judge didn't actually decide if the boys were innocent or not, the jury did. The judge would have a say in sentencing, but that's only if they were found guilty to begin with. Otherwise the old dude probably just spent the whole trial looking stern and occasionally saying "sustained" and "overruled".

• Locked thread