Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Serene Dragon posted:

Yeah, sorry, it's hard to feel bad for the guy who was obviously gonna take advantage of that drunk girl and wasn't gonna stop when she confronted him with words alone.

Yeah I mean I just feel dreadful for him, can you imagine what it's like to be in the power of someone who could just kill or violate you and there's nothing you can do about i-

Oh. Wait. Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Allison isn't in the right here - she brought a terrifying level of force to bear based off suspicion of a situation that she was new to, suspicions yet to be born out.

You have two characters both partly right in conflict, which is how things are in real life. This is why I like this comic

Ehhhh I really don't buy it. The dude is fine, he's shook up because for a very brief moment breathing was hard and he was completely under the power of an unimaginably stronger being.

So, basically the exact same situation he was obviously engineering on someone else. Was lifting him by the neck necessary? Probably not, no. Is it a particularly big deal? Nah, gently caress 'im.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

You can blame the partygoers all you want for turning a blind eye to Miles, but they still have their reasons for doing so. He's a friend, it's a regular thing, she's "asking for it", they know each other, etc. There's a billion excuses they use to not see him as a bad guy. And the most important thing, as a reader, we don't know for a fact that he is a bad guy.

Possible does not mean plausible. It is implausible in light of his reactions, and actions, that he was not going to "date" (if we can call it that) rape that girl.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Im going to laugh my rear end off if she actually got the black eye for non-DV reasons and the IVS just decided to go gently caress-it murder mode

Well it wouldn't particularly matter because, as has been discussed, his domestic violence isn't the motive for the killing here, most likely.

His involvement in the rape trial is.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I really like this comic, but seriously gently caress this story line. It's like a 15 year old girl who just discovered feminism is writing it right now. Seriously, I even enjoyed the party scene but at this point it's like what issue is not being addressed. It's not that it even makes me uncomfortable just kind of feel that these are issues that could be spread out and dealt with separately.

I thought the party scene was particularly on point, but missed the chance to bring up some serious issues regarding Alison and a disconnect with her abilities preventing something that all women have to worry about and maybe she doesn't have to worry about it that much but it could have went so much further.

They did bring this up though?

I honestly am not sure I understand your complaints. They're very vague, all around.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

Alison being a bit too wrapped up in herself is an interesting theme of this chapter. Earlier she was checking her phone while in the middle of meeting a guy. Now she's clueless about basic details of lives of people she spent years fighting alongside.

Eh, she hasn't seen Sonar in years and it's unclear at best how close they really were in the first place.

I hesitate to really draw any meaningful conclusions from this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

oh come now. he was intimately aware of the recent events involving her family, and that was contrasted with her not even knowing the basic marital status of his parents. its just another bit of evidence of the alienation she feels from her supposed peers

She knew, she just didn't remember. There's a difference.

Him being aware of those events could be anything as simple as reading a facebook post. I'm not willing to spin a grand narrative out of this just yet. poo poo is too mundane yo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Well I was definitely wrong on which direction they planned to take this, but now that we're going down this road I'm really enjoying it and eager to see how Alison responds and grows from this.

I wonder who's going to be more resentful, Moonshadow or Pintsize?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Dude if you don't think the people in power regularly murder people who are upsetting the status quo I don't know what to tell you.

They do it to keep things the way they are, to keep milking the gravy train. Hell a lot of times the decisions are made at an abstract plausible deniability level. I doubt Muhtar Kent picks and chooses which union organizer get murdered, which gets tortured, and which gets bribed, but the order to keep things the way they are comes from on high and local thugs get hired and then it's all over but the screaming.

I back the idea Patrick is telling Alison what she wants to hear to manipulate her, but that people in power would start killing kids to keep their market share and relative position is the most plausible thing yet in this comic

Yeah there doesn't even have to be a grand overarching illuminati for poo poo like this to happen, multiple pyramid schemes running in tandem will do the job just fine. That's what people fail to realize. Financial incentives coupled with power will do just fine, no secret society needed

Although in THIS case there probably is an Illuminati because the biodynamic phenomena is both A) probably manufactured and B) the people who killed those kids had pre-knowledge of their existence.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Yeah, I mean, who would have thought that the one person we know of with invisibility powers ended up being the secret invisible killer?

Well it's probably not a coincidence that the comic is making no effort to really hide it. Thus why we're being shown that this is the case instead of pretending like we don't know until Alison finds out and GASPS!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Yes, but at least she's a funny jerk this time. Also this might actually be the kind of thing he needs to hear.

Pintsize kind of needs a reality check desperately. Allison was not really any more clued in to give it to him, back when they were younger though.

There is no nice way to say "You want the world to be a Justice League comic and the world doesn't work that way. Not even if super powers are real."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Warmachine posted:

The thing about dreams is that eventually we have to wake up.

And Alison is the alarm clock. :v:

I think the alarm clock went off several years ago and Hector has been mumbling "five more minutes" ever since

Gonna torture this analogy into the ground.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

She seems to be saying it affectionately, but that smile could also be seen as jerkish.

The last panel is pretty funny if you read it in the chipmunk voice he is no doubt using.

Aaaand taking this into consideration just made these scenes become funny instead of suspenseful THANKS A LOT

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ronya posted:

Alison knows where Menace went - that "there are no supervillains left and I'm not punching normals so I quit" isn't actually the reason she quit - and she just doesn't respect her former teammates enough to disclose that

as mean-spiritedness goes, merely being aggravatingly superior about her well-adjustedness to mean Reality is minor in comparison

Disclosing that information has a hell of a lot of ways it could go terribly wrong, and achieve the exact opposite effect she would desire. I think you're being naive here. Hector is like an addict, telling him about the Menace encounter is just as likely to have him grasp onto the notion that Menace is still out there like a drowning man to a piece of driftwood as proof that no, the superhero thing REALLY IS still viable! He still has a purpose!

What's worse, it could get him to completely shut out Alison as corrupted by Menace/an enemy as such would better serve his desperate need to maintain the superhero narrative.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tollymain posted:

Nah, he still gets to look gorgeous

I dunno man, those wings have gotta be hella inconvenient.

Imagine trying to sleep! There are so few valid sleeping positions. And maybe they don't work for you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tollymain posted:

he's got a 'pretty' mutation, he's rich, and he can fly :v:

Yeah but like what about when he's taking a shower. What is that like? Is it hella uncomfortable and awkward?

I'm asking the hard questions.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Haha oh man. If the superpowers = privilege undercurrent wasn't perceptible before, it definitely should be now!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

She made the right call ignoring the hysterical criticisms and focusing on the positive to get at the point. I don't know if there was a better way to deliver that message. Only thing that remains to be seen is whether or not Hector wants to hear it. I could take his expression in the last panel either way. I worry that it indicates he's gonna dig his heels in.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Yeah, "Talking in ideas again, making everything all wiggly" is an incredibly naive and childlike way of discussing anything ever. gently caress this guy.

Let alone using the attempted murder of Feral to attempt to vindicate his childish little world.

gently caress off Hector.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

alison's problem is she doesn't actually want to do the work to change the world and just skip straight to the revolution step. 'she's actually not solving anything' yeah i guess that the lives feral saves don't matter at all. after all if it doesn't lead to systemic change it might as well have not happened.

dont get me wrong its a pretty accurate portrayal of an idealistic 20-something revolutionary but that doesn't change how myopic such a mindset is

Sometimes I feel like this thread is way crazy harsh on Alison. This is definitely one of those times. Take the bolded for example, I'm not really sure what in-text evidence suggests Alison has any desire to jumpstart "the revolution" or that she has any conception of what revolution should be taking place. Her whole thing as far as I've been able to read is that she knows that she DOESN'T know what the gently caress she should be doing, and that she figures that finishing her education is probably a good first step to actually engaging with the world meaningfully.

Maybe she'll conclude a revolution is in order later, but right now I thought the entire point is that she doesn't know what is in order.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Warmachine posted:

The hell? Is that a secret compartment for her mask inside his globe?

It's a keepsake globe.

For a sentimental nerd. It's silly but uncomplicated.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's not that it's not good, it's that it feels a bit like a token effort. I mean, she's doing a good thing, but she could certainly do more. She doesn't *have* to, but she's been pushing others--in this case Hector--to try to find a way to use their powers to enact lasting good, when she isn't really doing that herself. She's pushing them in the right direction, to be sure, but it's frustrating that it's kind of "do as I say, not as I do".

That said, I really do hope that Hector is able to come around on all of this.

The only time we have ever seen her directly push someone to do something with their powers is right now, with Hector. Alison very explicitly doesn't feel comfortable telling people what to do, her influence has primarily been exerted indirectly and by example.

And I think the main reason she feels comfortable pushing Hector to do something now is because he is in Despondent Sad Sack Mode and will need to find a new direction in life regardless.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Yeah his line about " I'd be just a okay scientist" is crazy insane talk, you can shrink down and observe events etc.. etc.. That's just being whiny, his whole argument is " Science is hard, Math is hard, I'd just be okay at them" why bother.

I mean everyone even basically admits that all the supervillians are pretty much gone. Also, the mystery of why those kids are dead the ones that didn't develope into super powers has never been explained.

Like I really hope that makes an appearance, a lot of people may have forgotten about but theres a sub plot that I don't think ever went anywhere that people with useful world changing powers were killed.

It's disappeared in part because no one but Alison and Patrick know about it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

Moonshadow may have set this up to murder these guys or get some info out of them - the leader mentions working for Templar.

Templar is Patrick's company isn't it?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Slashrat posted:

Patrick's supervillain name, actually, iirc.

No that would be Menace.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Well, she's being pretty strangely tongue-in-cheek this page, its hard to tell exactly how serious she's being about any of it (except, perhaps, for the last bit). If she's serious about the cop bit, its not too much of a stretch to think she might be serious about the "boys, rapists, technically different" bit.

She's undoubtedly dead serious about the cop thing because, if you live in America (she does) and pay the slightest bit of attention (she obviously does), you would know it's Strictly True :v:

The boys/rapists analysis is beyond silly and pointless though. It's a sufficiently improbable and ill supported interpretation as to not even be worth thinking about until there's more evidence. Any evidence, really.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 17, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

Honestly, since she uses that last phrase at the end of both statements it could be applied to either/or both, I can't pick up on the intended context. :shrug:
Hopefully tomorrow one of the mercs picks up on that phrasing and caller her out on it.

Spoiler: That won't happen.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

so not to pick on this post or anything, but how exactly is she "batshit?" she seems to have a pretty level head about what she's doing, and hasn't shown herself to be self-delusional or anything. Sure she's straight up killing dudes and that's wrong, but killing rapists, DV judges, and baby killers is wrong in the way that is technically true in a moral sense but really doesn't provoke that much of a sense of outrage.

I kind of have to agree. There's no madness here. Sure, I disagree with her, but nothing she's doing is really irrational per se. :shrug:

No more so than trusting in the system and the idea of changing it from within at least!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Male Man posted:

All life is sacred. HTH.

Nah.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Where do you draw the line? Vigilante justice is kind of perfectly set to be a slippery slope, and very quickly just becomes targeting whoever the vigilante (or mob) thinks deserves it.

I'd like to remind anyone who condones vigilante justice that those arguments are just about the exact same justifications used in the deep south by lynch mobs.

Sure, but you can just as easily say in response to blanket condemnation of extrajudicial killings, well what about slave revolts? Are they wrong to revolt against the system and commit violence against those who have committed "no crime" in the name of freedom?

I mean if we're gonna take this to the Old South :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Slashrat posted:

Welp, Moonshadow's off the deep end. It takes a pretty twisted kind of logic to think that having less barriers to killing other people gives you the moral high ground.

Pretty sure that statement is at least 50 percent black humor.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

At this point how can anyone tell the difference? Why did she hire these guys in particular if only one of their members has killed any civilians? Why not just raid whatever equivalent this comic world has to Black Water (or whatever they are called now) and start knifing people there? Why should we take these events as anything more than a hero who has completely walked off the moral event horizon and adopted a train of logic that is self contradictory and, for lack of a better phrase, bat-poo poo insane?

She didn't even bother to pay these guys upfront so they technically worked, and died, for free.

What I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure she's partly mocking the fact that "I do it for free" is why she was a hero in the first place :v:

Which goes into what the guy above me is saying. I think she knows she's a broken person and is trying to channel it productively, mocking the ruins of her life all the way. That's my read anywho.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Slashrat posted:

What other crimes should result in automatic forfeiture of life without due process, in your opinion? Robbery? Fraud? Littering?

War criminals, murderers who wear blue, and other such criminals who will never be prosecuted due to the prejudices of the culture they come from all seem like pretty good targets. :v:

Moonshadows little monologue definitely feels like a response to the question Allison indirectly posed to the Guardians. She, like Hector, has opted for the "it still matters" approach but has taken it much further than Hector.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

What guidance counselor does that? I mean huh? "Oh hey there thanks for coming in, I'm going to show you a video about rape murder and arson for no reason then we can sit down and I'll do my job"

You think that's unrealistic?

I call bullshit on any media outlet giving that much effort to present the rape victim's side of the story. Completely unrealistic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

She's not functionally a member of the Guardians anymore. And they aren't paying her to do this anyway. So, yeah, she's killing these dudes pro bono.

It's also something of a joke. I'd also say that she doesn't literally believe that the difference between her and the people she's killing is that she's not being paid for it. She believes that they're horrible scum and she's doing whatever is necessary to cleanse them from the earth, or at least that's what it seems like right now. (Her motivations may get fleshed out a bit more from here.) That line is basically her taunting him, even using a vaguely superhero-y one-liner.

The joke has another layer to it. Take it in context of what she's said before.

Moonshadow posted:

No one called me "truly disgusting" when I went ultraviolent on a fellow bio. No one accused me of playing judge, jury, and executioner when I killed terrorists and gangsters without warrant or trial.

Moonshadow posted:

To me? I'm a superhero, Sarge! It's not about me! You're bad men! You kill people!

Yeah, but I do it for free.

The meaning is fairly obvious in the context of the first quote. It's a joke that absolutely reeks of a cynical rejection of Hector's idealistic perception of the Guardians. She's stating it outright: A super hero is just a state approved killer. Killing people for free is what being a super hero is all about. It's black humor, but it makes sense from the perspective of someone who's had to all but literally become a child soldier to fill Allison's shoes when she left.

Stuff like this is why I said in a previous post, more or less, that she strikes me as the sort of person who kind of hates herself.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

despite my complaints i actually really like the line the comic is taking with this stuff. sure vigilantism is 'wrong' in that same vague sense that breaking laws is wrong, but if a society shows itself again and again to be wholly incapable of addressing a rather pressing problem, then lashing out via alternate means is understandable and even sympathetic.

Dismissing a Nat Turner, or even a John Brown type of situation as wrong is a pretty simplistic analysis. if society has shown that by and large it doesn't give a poo poo about you, why shouldnt you start killing your oppressors?

This is my stance. Things aren't going to get better at a systemic level any time soon so I'm not overly fussed by murdering the poo poo out of that starfish :v:

Except in Allison's world affecting systemic change in the reasonable future is more plausible, because this is a superhero story.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I like to think the robot is doing it on purpose to gently caress with organics. Not even programmed to do it by Paladin, just sufficiently advanced that it can autonomously decide to mess with people in harmless ways.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Error 404 posted:

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Nah the robot autonomously messing with people and getting away with it because of playing on people's expectations of a robot is way better :3:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I choose to believe that the reason Paladin alludes to Humor Bots suicide being related to too much processing power is that the excess processing power gave him the ability to recognize that the best joke he could play is trolling Paladin by emulating the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

nimby posted:

He was a Supervillain. While he may not have murdered anyone, I doubt he stopped his evil deeds at taking candy from babies.

He always seemed to work through intermediaries, from what we've seen. Possibly precisely due to the issue Paladin is describing.

• Locked thread