Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really, really like Strong Female Protagonist and I wish one of the Big Two's little side-imprints would say "Hey. Let's publish this mo'fucker with the might of a comic company behind it. Getchu some inkers an' poo poo."

And make all of the people on this comic lots of money because SFP is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brought To You By posted:

Works Cited:
1. Real life
2. Real Life
3. Real Life
4. Real Life
5. Real Life

Not cited here:
Real Life

I was willing to give your argument a shot, and clicked the first link you gave. The guy in it, Kopin, injures the girl's neck, constantly says how it couldn't have been rape because they were friends, says that she "totally wanted it, brah", and that it COULDN'T have been him who left monjo huge bruises on the girl's neck that her roommates urged she go to the emergency room over.

Just wanted to make sure this was said, since this was the evidence given to support the idea that false rape accusations are made ALL the time. A rapey dudebro who asserts that he couldn't have been the raper, because they were friends.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

I think Feral metabolized that poo poo super fast. So, she just drank more and faster :pseudo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIC0T4fWQLc

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Why don't our daughters visit us, Jim?" "Because of all the blood coming out of my throaaaAAAAAAAUUUGH"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Atmus posted:

I know it's not meant to be funny, but the second to the last panel in http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-5/page-9-6/ always cracks me up. It's just so unintentionally hilarious.

All of the throat cutting scenes crack me up. Their facial expressions are just interpretable enough for me to see them thinking "WHERE IS ALL THIS RASPBERRY JAM COMING FROM OH NOOOOOOOOO".

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

Is it seriously this hard for you guys to talk about this topic without getting lovely and personal about it? Wow jesus christ.

You're not arguing in good faith. In fact, you're arguing to try and make this as easily misinterpreted as possible. Take your own advice and chill out, maybe take a break from this thread, comic, whatever. If you want to see a comic about the Zen Buddha, I don't think SFP is for you. It's about a profoundly flawed person whose first impulse is to act just like a comic book superhero, trying to make positive social change in a comix world. Allison probably has quite the journey of selfdiscovery to go on.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

Apparently positive social change begins with choking people! Okay yeah I don't care to be dogpiled for not liking a scene in a webcomic so maybe this thread is not for me. Hugs and kittens dudes!

rotinaj posted:

a profoundly flawed person whose first impulse is to act just like a comic book superhero

Almost as if they're trying to further make the point that superheroics are the easy way to do things, but aren't a realistic way to solves problems. ...Nah, that can't be it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tiny baby Pintsize is having a tiny baby tanty. D'aww.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wittgen posted:

And there goes my sympathy for Hector.

Yeah, "Talking in ideas again, making everything all wiggly" is an incredibly naive and childlike way of discussing anything ever. gently caress this guy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Atmus posted:

You know, Hector could take a few medical courses, familiarize himself with cancer, and actually literally destroy every single cancerous cell in someone's body.

That would probably take a long time and be boring though, so I guess he's better off building stuff out of Legos and then shrinking down to minifigure size to have fun with it.

Hector could do so much science with shrinky-dink abilities. But that isn't glamorous or cool, usually.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hate Pintsize because the dude is doggin' on science. <:mad:> Science rules.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pintsize, you stupid piece of poo poo, I could do so much ecological and biological research out in the field with shrinkydink powers, you have no idea. Yeah, writing stuff down is part of science, but so is seeing super-rad stuff that Joe Sixpack will never see! You are everything that is wrong with the public perception of science.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Call it selfish or immature but hey man, dude doesn't want to be a scientist, that's fair. He learned just enough to pilot a tiny ship and be a superhero, but just 'cause he can go observe cells doesn't mean that's his passion.

Archaeology. Geology. Geography. Disaster relief, in that he can go places that a human-sized person would collapse. As noted, scientific observer, so he doesn't need to do the "boring" part of science, which is such a dumb, terrible excuse. Medical science and doctorin'.

The only thing limiting Hector is that he has a child's idea of what he can do with his powers.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, Feral and company were the in-universe version of 90s comic book characters. Moonshadow's gonna need a new shtick.

Nah. Well, you're spot on about Feral and co. Moonshadow's pretty solidly 00s-period. Identity Crisis and all that stupid overserious crap.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

nimby posted:

She's a world famous superpowered serial killer. Would you run screaming at her if she just beat down your team without said team knowing what the gently caress?

At her? No. I think he meant away. Far away, before the doors were locked.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was never sure which superteam Paladin was she on. Was she with Feral?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I now just imagine that guy showing horrible news stories to everyone that comes in his office. Seriously, who the gently caress does that, here let me shove this in your face.

Ugh, that's so awkard...

He's not, it's worse than that.

"Hey, you're like the most famous biodynamic out there! Isn't this news story hosed up, about a biodynamic-powered serial killer who murdered ARE TROOPS? What do you, as the representative of all biodynamics, have to say in defense of this person who I am mentally grouping you with?"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Falstaff posted:

The question on my mind at this point is why, if Paladin is such an obvious robotics prodigy, has she not been bumped off by whatever force wants to bump off anyone who's capable of changing the world? Seems bleeding edge robotics would qualify.

Unless of course she's sold out to the powers-that-be. I suppose that would explain the police mechs we've seen occasionally in the background.

Maybe they haven't gotten to it yet so the authors can have Allison see one of these murders directly in a future chapter.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, it it's that in the wake of mechanization, nothing good's going to happen to these out of work laborers. They're going to have to go off and find some even more poo poo job in a world that probably hates them. John Henry was fighting to was fighting for everyone he knew to keep their jobs. It was the same deal with the Luddites. Progress tends to gently caress over little people sometimes.

Like what's that mural supposed to be? Is the robot saying, "Great work here, John. Now we don't need you anymore, so you can just accept your inferiority and maybe go die in a mine or take a stab at sharecropping, I've heard that's nice."

The mural means "John Henry is gonna bang that robot".

Also, the story of John Henry is hugely about how the individual workers are gonna get hosed over and will have to work other lovely jobs, but also that a man's determination and heart can always mean the difference between success and failure.

(Allison is totally gonna pick that subreactor up onto her shoulder and just be like "Where's this poo poo going?". Either it's gonna go great or the thing will have a stress fracture and explode.)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing that comics never addresses, but may be coming up here(Or I'm reading too much into it) is that if superpowers are being given out randomly, some loving douchebag rear end in a top hat is gonna get some.

Not your typical jerk. Like, a Freerepublic poster. A 4chan troll. A Redditor MRA. Furnace is the kind of lovely dude that would likely be flamewarring it up on one of those sites if he wasn't superpowered, but he is, so his awful views are out there for the world to hear.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The problem with this comic is that it got too big, too quickly. The success went to the head of the writer(s?), they don't have an editor to rein them in, and so they're writing the story they think is really awesome and brave, but it's gotten bloated and slow and cumbersome and there's so much poo poo intertwining, it feels like a full-length novel by itself, but it's poorly paced and riddled with shortcut scenes to explain character motivation.

Just like so many webcomics, they really could do with doing it all ahead of time, then editing it, or getting it edited professionally.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Author's got his head firmly up his own rear end, but since he pays lip service to issues and women's empowerment, he'll never need to hope for an audience. Comic's set for the lifespan until he freaks out and quits because his talent got him somewhere that his character couldn't sustain.

Dude needs an editor, real, real bad.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

I like this one. But we can't have Furnace facing real consequences for his cowboy actions. Disrupting a sting, killing innocents, going all extrajudicial in another country, any of those are good enough to start their own plot arc. But he did all three AND in the middle of an already running arc.

Feral was the high point of this comic, everything else is down hill.

Feral was probably the character/arc he had plotted out the most before sitting down to create the comic. Now, we're into stuff he's come up with since he began writing, but he's not self-editing or anything to pare out the extraneous stuff.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is dumb.

This is really dumb. She's flying so fast, she randomly dislocates her shoulder? Come the gently caress on. This smacks of the author realizing how powerful he's made Allison in just the past few months, and wanting to show "No you guys seriously Allison isn't so overpowered that there are no threats", and wanting the fight with Moonshadow to not just be instantly over.

Maybe if it had been hinted so far that flying took more of a strain, or it used up more of her power field at one time, or something? Anything?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, that will really work against someone who can levitate.

Allison is dumb and slow and plot dictates that Moonshadow get some heel heat, so Allison is gonna take some damage before ignoring it and winning in the end anyhow.

And then, I think John Cena's music will play.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Great, they ruined the Tang Surprise.

But they'll never reveal the Tang Secret.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
He's doing the whole "going supernova" thing that was the dumbest part of the first Fantastic Four movie. It was dumb then and is dumb now, and I wanted to say that the idea of him being a potentially better character, ManlyGrunting, is wrong and incorrect, because he would still be in Strong Female Protagonist and nobody in this is a good character anymore.

How the writer went from the cool poo poo of the first three chapters to this, I have no idea.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

After archive-diving:

Violet is Alison's roommate. She invited her to a party on page 18 of this issue, where Alison made a scene by almost choking a guy whom she thought was a rapist.

The other two are Alison and Violet's friends from the same dorm, apparently (never explicitly stated but it's obvious).

On page 75 we find that the thing has balooned way out of control. Alison goes to apologize to the guy, and finds him dead, murdered by Mary.

Then we come back to this. Apparently Violet had moved out? Sometime? Because she's scared of Alison? And now she's moved back in and kicked Alison out?

The question marks are because we've never been shown any of this, between page 75 and the latest page (151) Violet and the other two haven't been shown or mentioned at all.

The problem with webcomics: All this is poo poo that would have been foreshadowed in a proper third or fourth draft, but ends up being totally glossed over in this first, or likely 1.5 draft.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

New page, and I'm wondering something. IANAL but can't she just not patent her inventions? If they're not patented they're free for everyone to use as they see fit.

I'd think nowadays that this evil company would just try to steal the patent out from under her, then. Regardless of anything else, Paladin is hosed until Allison changes her situation, because that's how this comic operates.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, after the unrelenting awfulness of the story up until now, at least this is just kinda cliche. Maybe we can get a dialogue that doesn't feel like someone saying "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY CHARACTER MOTIVATIONS IN ONE LONG CHUNK". Allison's totally due to talk to someone like a human being.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
UgggggggghI kiiiiiinda see what they're going for here, it's just hamhanded as gently caress. Allison is Mega Girl, most powerful person in the world, the Superman of her time, the only person who everyone should be afraid of, and she's been basically a nonentity in this whole situation, and it's messing with her. Furnace still died there, Moonshadow got away with everything, and Allison's only contribution was to get a shoulder owie. She's having trouble reconciling her status, her intentions, her stated goal and reality. The world used to be much easier, punching bad guys. Now she doesn't have any tools to deal with any of this and keeps not accomplishing things she wanted to do.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seriously, why won't they end the loving arc? God drat.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

nimby posted:

That'll happen in the second half of this chapter.

Second half?

What are you, crazy? We're only 1/10th of the way into this thrilling chapter.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

FourLeaf posted:

Like everyone else said, this is really dumb. If Allison really wanted to help abuse victims she'd create a political action group a la what the Koch brothers have done that scripts out useful legislation and lobbies politicians to implement it in all 50 states and at the national level. She would also need a massive network of volunteers on the ground to directly help victims.

Nothing that she's proposing requires superpowers. Even if it did, there must be millions of people who need protection/help escaping and nowhere near enough female heroes to aid them. I'm reminded of Astro City where the Superman analogue must spend every second of his day flying around the world to save people because so many disasters happen at every moment. There is simply not enough time to help everyone with such limited numbers.

If this was some lovely DC comic I wouldn't even care but this story is ostensibly taking a more "realistic" approach to superheroes

Maybe you don't understand.

Allison is going to punch a rapist. In the penis.

Hope this cleared up the problem for you and explained why this is not dumb, but genius, and you are the dumb.

One.

Yeah!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

I dunno, I think it would be an interesting twist if Allison bullied Patrick into shelling out some of his unimaginable stacks of money for this kind of genuine useful program. It would be pretty literally pocket change for him but would be a huge help to what is otherwise handled largely through charity and volunteers.

I highly doubt that anything handled by this particular author could be classified as "interesting".

Or a "twist", for that matter.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sweet I can't wait for the comic to tackle some abusive girlfriend who calls in the Superfriends to gently caress up her boyfriend and they hospitalize some dude because he wouldn't buy his girlfriend a pizza with his rent money

Wait, my bad, it'll be because he's a secret rapist pedophile

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm okay with it being mediocre but well-intentioned. It's cute.

Mediocre is being awfully generous

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Please let's not look a gift lovely writing horse in the mouth.

We're done with the last chapter, let's keep it that way. Please?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

EndOfTheWorld posted:

To any budding comic artists reading this thread: please don't offer "appearances" in your comic in exchange for Kickstarter money. A shot in a crowd is fine, but drat near an entire page (out of a two-page-per-week-comic) just talking to some lady who makes cupcakes because she gave you $200 is not doing your pacing or your story any favors.

Edit: I mean, I get it. How artists get paid is an old, old question and flattering the egos of people with money has been an answer to it for some time. (Kickstarter backer reward, Borgia Level - 50,000 florins - I'll paint your face on Jesus!) I just think there are better ways to do it than giving someone's avatar a speaking scene.

I liked this page, because this world seems awfully empty if Allison only were to deal with the same small cast of characters. As the most famous demasked hero in the world, having her meet randos is a cool thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wittgen posted:

It's stopped saying anything at all, so...yes?

On the other hand, the comic still seems to feel it's self-evident that inserting super soldiers into domestic disputes is the best idea ever. It's baffling.

I'd like to see Alison try to solve a domestic abuse car by punching a hole in a guy and realize that isn't a great answer either.

• Locked thread