Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Elysiume posted:

Yeah right now it's hard to feel upset about him dying because he's a bad person in addition to the whole judge matter. A bad person did a bad thing and they were punished. If he had been an otherwise good person, it would have been interesting. His death would have been more jarring if it hadn't been a lovely wife abuser getting his throat slit.

I think that's sort of the point, that IVS is a possible endgame for Allison's current behaviour and uh, problem solving skills. That IVS's targets are at least somewhat "deserving" of retribution absolutely invites a parallel to Allison picking up that dude by the throat, even if he's a lovely human being who I got no sympathy for. Like no, I don't think anyone thinks the slasher is justified in unilaterally cutting some throats but a great many (including me, mostly, to a degree, I think?) are of the view that Allison was justified manhandling that party dude but you gotta think where is the line, is she moving closer to it, would/could Allison do something similar to the slasher, I mean she already straight up merked that bomber dude even if he deserved it as well. Eventually she'll do something that leaves everyone, in-comic and out, going woah woah holy poo poo that is not ok, even if whoever she does it to is just terrible all-round. Stare not into the abyss and all that, right?

Basically if the assassin's over the line, Allison's toeing it and both we the audience and presumably Allison herself are going to see this over the chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Oh good job, that's pretty much everything I was going to say and more even. I think Hector is both terrified and possibly a bit ashamed of Feral's actions and what it means to be a 'superhero'. Remember, Feral used to be a villain, but now she's given all of herself in like, the most hellish act of self-sacrifice imaginable while Hector, the hero, sits in his tower moping. So he's got to be thinking, at least subconsciously, if there's some way he can use his shrinking power to do a comparable act, to help as many people as Feral is. But he's also incredibly, and totally scared out of his mind, because is that what being a hero means? To Allison? To the world? To completely sacrifice your entire being to unending torment? So he clings to his fantasies and the past because there he could help people without getting butchered forever.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

If every victim is guilty by default and have multiple crimes lumped against them, we can only question Moonshadow's actions because of how cold and calculated they are, and how they take vigilante justice to a terrible extreme. But the writing leaves no room to doubt whether or not Moonshadow is at least somewhat justified in singling each victim out.

that's the point. You said it yourself, nobody deserves to die like that even if they are terrible people. The question isn't, "do her targets deserve retribution" it's "do her targets deserve her retribution".

Compare it to Allison's speech to Cleaver- this kind of stuff is what she wants to do.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Finally, a character I can relate to.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Come on. Moonshadow's not employed by the government as an assassin. We know that. What Captain Bravo said is that Allison might, maybe, think that Moonshadow is.

The gov't might be covering up or downplaying their knowledge for damage control and pr reasons, sure, but her actions are pretty clearly unsanctioned, and it's pretty silly to pull in a "she's a secret assassin using her super hero identity as cover, but she's gone rogue!" based off some goon's idle speculation.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Where did we learn that again? I thought the DEA had approached the Guardians but we don't know if Moonshadow actually refused them.

She's worked for the government yea, as a part of the super hero team which led to some shady stuff in the later years, but there's zero reason for us, the audience, to make the jump to 'goverment-sanctioned assassin' because there's no proof or anything in the comic to suggest that Moonshadow has been working as such. There's enough circumstantial evidence that might lead Allison (who doesn't know as much as we do) to suspect that as Captain Bravo pointed out, but trying to fit Moonshadow's rampage into a framework where these are government targets isn't going to work.

Now, is it possible that she did assassination work 'behind the scenes' as a Guardian, before going rogue? Sure, I guess. Nothing ruling it out. But there's also nothing to lead us to that conclusion, so, you know, let's not invent stuff before there's reason to?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I don't follow the theory that Moonshadow is building up to some political assassination, I just think that there is a third party at play here providing her with protection at best. Or maybe the paranoia has finally set in.
It stands to reason that somehow Moonshadow has an alibi for the current crime, or at least Dr. Rosenblum is leading Allison to believe that for whatever reason. Now as far as the government employing Moonshadow, that might be a little far-fetched. All of her killings so far haven't been anything that would require vast resources (with the exception of the barn incident which is still plausible given Moonshadow's background); and seem to be very personal acts since she is focusing on a specific crime with a very specific criteria (Highly publicized rapists who don't get convicted).

I'll just parrot Poisonous Mushroom and say you can replace "government" with "they" and it's still the same effect.

I... I think we might be arguing past each other here, but for clarity:

Moonshadow's killings are done individually. She is not working for or doing them at anyone's behest other than her own. She is still official a Guardian and that gives her resources she wouldn't otherwise have, though.

Moonshadow is escalating- she's gone from teens to judges to para-military to getting involved with Allison (although back to teen/young adult there). I suppose all her murders have a political component to them, but maybe she'll go after a more prominent public figure/one who doesn't actually have skeletons in their closet(/Allison). Whatever the case it is, again, based off Moonshadow's beliefs, not anyone else's.

The discussion of government versus 'they' is in regards to the killings of various biodynamics with world changing powers that Patrick discovered. Nothing to do with Moonshadow or the current situation.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Jackard posted:

Slowly going through Worm since it was linked here, more interesting than SFP at the moment.

Sometimes it is pretty damned stupid though, like the Amelia storyline.

Yeah I liked it. Like what others have said the ending gets out of hand and I personally preferred the low-key stuff with more room for character interaction rather than the end of world stuff. Endbringers made for great set pieces and holy poo poo moments though.

Taylor was a good viewpoint character, but kind of infuriating in that she's so convinced she's 'rational' but she's really just blind to her emotional biases and is just rationalizing the gut choices she's already made, but I think the author was aware of that so it worked out.

edit: oh yeah, and Cauldron. Did not care for them. Makes Patrick look like the junior league.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 27, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Avshalom posted:

why exactly did she take him to a dam anyway, obviously she thought he was an irredeemable piece of poo poo so should have understood "hey you'll kill yourself and all these people!" wouldn't be much more of a deterrent than just "hey you'll kill yourself!" so just putting him in a secluded bunker somewhere rigged with explosives would have been just as effective without endangering any other lives. as it is she comes off looking like she actually wanted to blow up a dam for no reason and therefore like a psychopath, which against all my better judgment i have to say isn't what the author was going for, and the last minute handwave of "oh all that land happened to be totally uninhabited" hinders more than it helps. incompetent webclevin

uh clearly everyone who could possibly have been harmed by the dam blowing up were actually rapists

yep, all of them. Every single one.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I wonder how many of these kickstarter cameo people wish they could undo that now

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

If the powerboost is only temporary and has to be reapplied then Allison is either in the position of having to continuously force Max to do it, without anyone finding out/him just snapping (or the government gets involved and makes Max do it?), or Feral going back to hell-torture after getting her hopes up

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Avshalom posted:

a telepath character who's a mental void so they can't consciously form thoughts and just absorb the thoughts of everyone around them would be cool

a telepath character who doesn't consider themselves and other people as discrete individuals and thinks of everyone as different aspects of the same larger being would also be cool imo

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Both his initial hand-patting and the conclusion of his self-debate are pretty bluntly telling her she made the right decision :shrug:

I mean not to defend the comic (because its dumb), but the hand patting was before he knew what she did, when all he knew was that she was sad

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Sure, but then the conclusion of his self-debate is to look straight at Allison (and the reader) and say "unless We Are All In This Together!" Yes he presented various arguments both ways, but that's the grand finale. It's not ambiguous at all.

and literally follows it up right away with "and that's what a tyrant would say"

sorry dude this comic is crap but so is your reading comprehension

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Calaveron posted:

The name Clevin apparently started as a typo that was left in and I'm racking my mind trying to think what the intended original name could've been

Kevin
l< evin
<l evin
Clevin

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Typical Pubbie posted:

Not showing Clevin leaving the apartment plus the inconsistent lettering format for Allison's texting from one panel to the next made this page super confusing for me.

yeah I know the text bubbles are how phones are laid out- outgoing on right, incoming on left, but having them be literally backwards to comic convention is pretty bad panel layout. Like the doctor's message has an arrow pointing directly at Allison.

Like just flip it so she's on the right of the panel and it works so much better. Not like there's a background to worry about

e; also how the flow from panel one to two could make it seem like she's going through Clevin's phone at first glance

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 4, 2017

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

e; OOPS WRONG THREAD

wow this comic sure is a thing, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Typical Pubbie posted:

Imagine how loving awesome and bad rear end this scene would be if Patrick got hyped up on the bully's power trip and joined in.

yeah I mean the dude grew up to be a super villain who literally named himself 'menace'

• Locked thread