Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
This is a Good Comic.

To continue appropriate use of force chat from the webcomic general thread, I think Alison is pretty much spot on in her treatment of Miles. Dude was suss as hell. Don't invite heroes to you party unless you want them to act the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

This is at least twice the comic has made me worry that Alison is going to go off the deep end though. Viscerally afraid that I'm going to open the page and she'll be sitting on a rooftop covered in blood.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

As far as we know he can't make psychic attacks, just read minds. Unless he was lying, I guess. Given the way Allison's condition seems to affect her her cells may not break down like normal human cells, certainly not at the same rate. Given that her skin can resist anything bigger than 3 microns across who knows how the gently caress her biology even works any more.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I'm not a chemical weapons expert but don't things like mustard gas need to react with the body in some way? If fire doesn't burn her then would a nerve toxin be able to stop her heart? I guess you could flood a sealed room with halon or carbon dioxide, but the logistics of making a room that could hold her are pretty intense.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aww, good girl Alison. :3: Wonder if she's going to have to split up with toxic roommate now? What will the doctor say?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Up until she took dramatic action no-one in the party was paying any attention. The pre-rapist wasn't going to answer honestly, and the girl was close to blackout drunk and couldn't speak for herself. If Allison wasn't indestructible and super strong, just a concerned citizen, that girl would have been the victim of a serious crime after douchebag pushed her out of the way.

Not saying that she doesn't have issues with enjoying violence, but this was an appropriate use of force.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah the general public being concerned about looking crazy is something that helps all kinds of crimes and social problems avoid detection and prevention. People don't want to get involved in case they're wrong about whats going on, or in case they get hurt or embarrassed. And hey, maybe in a lot of cases that's a fair concern.

But Allison used to be a literal superhero, and I guess people getting mad at you for helping someone else is something she's getting used to.

Also that whole party seems kind of gross in a cultural appropriation sort of way, like rich kids in the marvel universe having a "mutie party", or any of the real world equivalents. That's a whole different can of worms though.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

The flip side of this is that men are almost universally always guilty until proven innocent when it comes to sexual assault and rape cases. You can't deny that the media and fiction demonize males as the eternal rapist and it's sexist. False rape accusations are not as uncommon as you might think, and there is little to no legal action taken to address the people who do make them until they establish a pattern of being a repeat offender. Lives have been ruined because some people lie and it shows some of the flaws in our legal system when these cases are not properly investigated and victims testimonies are valued more than other forms of evidence.

As for the Steubenville trial, what happened there looks like a direct inspiration for this stories scenario and what happened there wasn't any more right than Kaylee's situation.

Hahahaha loving what? Please, provide some statistical evidence for this MRA bullshit, because uh

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

I'm not saying they are significant, I want people to realize that this does happen and it has consequences on multiple lives. I understand that this is a rare occurrence, but when it happens it needs to be addressed and not trivialized.

So go make a thread about it? It's really not relevant to this comic in any way.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Turns out it's a lot.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

There isn't a textual example, but it's not unreasonable to infer from the murders of the "world changing" supers that more than a few people would be interested in working out how to kill Allison and they've had years to work something out.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

The fact that we want heroes that dress in skintight spandex and punch down buildings... I don't know what that says about our culture, but there you are.

We loving hate buildings, that's for sure.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Hey man having your throat cut hurts, you'd cry too!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Atmus posted:

Also, 'Clevin' managed to irritate me more than five rapers, a wife-beater, and an indifferent cop.

What the gently caress is a 'best cousin'? Is that a regional thing, or is Clevin ranking his extended family members?

"I have some lovely cousins that you didn't manage to save, but I don't care about that. Want to see some foreign movies? Foreign movie watching means I'm deep. Also I am wearing a domino mask as a headband because I also wear glasses."

Yeah that whole party scene was kind of weird and uncomfortable, even before the incident. Must have been super awkward for Allison, a bunch of cape fans (fetishists?) standing around trying to be cool at her. Tortured analogies spring to mind, like being the only black person invited to a hip-hop themed party, or the only actual gay person at a pride event. And it's all fine until the minority does something that's not in the script.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

That's my friend Daphne. Please don't rape her. :ohdear:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Hector's talking in a tiny squeaky voice, it's probably impossible to take him even vaguely seriously.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Moonshadow may have set this up to murder these guys or get some info out of them - the leader mentions working for Templar.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Well, this isn't going down like I expected at all.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I guess it's worth noting that extrajudicial killing of rapists isn't likely to have any kind of positive effect on rape statistics, instead making it more likely that rape victims will also become murder victims. I'm pretty sure Moonshadow has already figured that out though, and just doesn't give a poo poo.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

ChairMaster posted:

It stops repeat offenders pretty well, I'd say.

That may be a fair point. I know with a lot of crimes recidivism rates are surprisingly low - most people only commit one murder, for instance - but I'm not sure if the same is true of rapists and a small amount of repeat offenders blow the statistics out.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Yeah, but I do it for free"

:unsmigghh:

The face in that last panel would make a boss avatar if it went all the way up.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

man it's just like being trapped in a conversation with a person you admire who keep talking poo poo about one of your friends, and you don't know how to defend them without revealing that you are friends. awkward

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Paladin's statements are completely accurate, though?

Are they? I need to archive binge to be sure but I don't know if Menace personally killed anyone.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Dude is the loving villain

Pretty much agree with everything except this bit, because out of Menace and the US government/Capitalism I'm pretty sure I know who the villain is.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Oh sure, if you're a wimp.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Pretty much, Mega-Girl was the team's heavy hitter and when she quit the Guardians Moonshadow was left holding the bag (Pintsize and Brad can't fight for poo poo). Moonshadow really resents having to work 10 times as hard to get a fraction of the result and no recognition.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"oh hey allison, could you give me a hand carrying all these people downstairs? some of them are super fat."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A lot like Allison in that respect. He's just come to the conclusion faster.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

The problem with trying to change history by targeting individuals is that it requires you to subscribe to 'Great Man' historical theories which ignore the social conditions that enable big, history shaping figures to emerge. Kill Hitler and some other ambitious German/Austrian leader will use the resentment of the people as a springboard to power. Kill Columbus and any number of his contemporaries will lay waste to the Americas instead. Kill Attila the Hun and Rome will fall to some other force of migrating horsemen. Kill Caesar and Pompey starts the empire.

In order to make an appreciable dent on history you have to kill so many people that you become the evil dictator you were gunning for in the first place.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Not buying it. What's his game here? If he was going to taunt Allison into a blind rage he wouldn't do it to her face. Dude's trying to cover up something.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I wonder how reinforced that glass is.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Another thing: Alison is subconsciously worried that she will hurt anyone she has sex with. If Patrick is picking up on that as well as her more obvious desire for him (likely) that might explain the mixed signals he is sending.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

:munch:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Allison is actually pretty self aware about her lack of moral high ground, she doesn't claim any more than that she tries to do better. It's one of the reasons that she doesn't just kill her way to world peace - she's not sure she's right. She's not immune to doing dumb poo poo or having sudden irrational impulses that she regrets later. She doesn't think she's Superman at all, and comparisons to the Comedian are way off the mark - Allison doesn't have a track record of rape, war crimes, murder, or sustained quasi-police brutality.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Strong Female Protagonist: Throwing Trademarked, Ceramic Coffee Cups at The A Man

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Has she? She's made some pretty impressive jumps but I don't remember flying.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

ugh why are all these nazis so racist and evil, what a crop of strawmen amiright?

although

Zerilan posted:

Furnace just catches on fire really easily since he's made of straw.

is pretty much the sickest burn.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

A story in which you show ordinary people going on with committing atrocities pretty much just because that's where they've been led to and they're just following orders will have a very different tone from one where you show a bunch of hiveminded mustache-twirling clones committing the same atrocities while laughing evilly about how evil they are, bwahahah.

Right but are you talking about nazis or SFP here?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Re: the immigrants thing: Furnace maybe didn't execute them but might have had a hand in forcibly deporting them (to their deaths at the hands of drug cartels?). Or possibly Violet is just talking out of her arse at the protest, she's not exactly been shown to be a super positive character since then.

Furnace's main problem seems to be that he wants to be a cool guy who saves lives but all he can do is start fires, and he doesn't have the privileged background that gave Allison the perspective to see that getting some education might be a good idea.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I feel like Furnace is probably not going to survive having a dam fall on him, or getting fried by the high voltage lines all over the place in here. The explosion itself, maybe. But he's not 'survives massive concussive impact guy'.

Or if the dam breaches from having a fire inside it (somehow?) he'd drown probably.

• Locked thread