Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah, sorry, it's hard to feel bad for the guy who was obviously gonna take advantage of that drunk girl and wasn't gonna stop when she confronted him with words alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I'd also like to point out something the author wrote on tumblr right at the start of the chapter and linked to it as part of their trigger warning on page 1:

quote:

SFP is ultimately about about power, ethics, and making a better world, and it is impossible to have a serious conversation about how to make a better world without addressing rape culture and the staggering degree of violence specifically targeted against women.

They're addressing the level of violence towards women, and especially sexual violence. It was never going to have a male victim or be about false accusations.

If you don't want to be accused of being an MRA, maybe you shouldn't bring up MRA talking points that are completely irrelevant to the story.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I've forgiven this chapter a lot of things, but this is actually very annoying. What a cop out.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Hurray, nobody had the idea of building a settlement near this river. This is why they decided to build a dam here, to provide the nearby flood plains and national park with electricity. This is good writing: the superheroes provoke cataclysmic destruction during their fight, but don't worry it's just for shows it turns out none of the damage is really relevant or consequential.

Seriously, this comic went from hero tosses bad guy's mookbot into building, kills innocent people to antagonist causes dam to explode, nobody's hurt.
Yeah, really, this bothers me a lot. It would have been far more thematic for this collossal gently caress up from 3 superpowered humans to have just murdered a poo poo ton of innocent people. Isn't one of the major points of this comic supposed to be that the people with these powers don't know what the gently caress they're doing and that often ends up getting innocent people hurt or killed?

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

But don't the prisoner's dilemma experiments with real people show that people generally have a bias towards cooperative rather than shafting behaviour? Absolutely everyone else in this classroom has gone "gently caress you got mine" which is what the rational outcome is but not what actually tends to happen. At least some of the others would cooperate, it's very unlikely that Alison would be the only one to put up a black stone.

Honestly, I'd put up a black stone just to be a contrary jerk to this rear end in a top hat professor but I guess the moral of this story is everyone except Alison is only looking out for themselves.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

There you go, everyone other than Alison is either an idiot or an rear end in a top hat.

And before someone goes I just didn't get it, yes, I understand just fine what the point of this is supposed to be. But by positioning Alison as the only person to put up a black stone like this, the writer is (probably unintentionally) once again having Alison as the only right and good person in the room.

And I just don't believe that no one else would put up a black stone. One guy misheard the rules, so why wouldn't anyone mishear in the opposite direction? Is there no other person in the class who is optimistic or compassionate and would believe everyone else would choose black? Is no one in this class friends with this guy and willing to put up a black stone in solidarity, as I would for a friend? Is no one that rear end in a top hat willing to call his bluff?

This page would work just as well if one or two other people put up black other than Alison, with the majority choosing white, and it wouldn't make me roll my eyes so drat hard.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Atmus posted:

The people whiteknighting Clevin in the comments is delicious.

Its the people who are calling max abusive over this that boggle my mind. How on earth can people be this invested in this stupid nerd rear end in a top hat that can't even be honest that he's asking Alison out as a date and not as a friend that they call the other guy an abusive rear end in a top hat based on a one page exchange.

Edit: also apparently joking about kissing or making out on a date is a "red flag". I'm just dying with laughter over here.

Serene Dragon fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 2, 2016

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Wittgen posted:

It's weird to see such fervor when pretty much nothing has happened. No one has been an rear end in a top hat. No one has even been a jerk. What in the world is there to be angry about at any of these characters?

No you see max has been a massive jerk because obvs he overhead clevin asking alison to the movies and decided to get in a sick burn (ignoring the fact that Alison is actually the one who brings up going to a movie as a date and max says movies as dates are lame in response to that).

And by joking about making out on a date, he's clearly asserting his right to Alison's body and being an abusive possessive dominating rear end in a top hat for not respecting her "boundaries". And that might mean he'll roofie her (seriously someone brought that topic up in response to this page).

Also Clevin is not an rear end in a top hat for not making his intentions clear, it is Alison that is really the rear end in a top hat for not being psychic and not realising that Clevin wants to gently caress her and therefore "manipulating" him into a free movie night.

I really need to stop reading the comments section, these people are so loving stupid and tumblr-ite it physically hurts.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Wittgen posted:

I don't get this idea that Clevin has done something objectionable either. Not making your intentions clear doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. It just means you were bad at communicating. A 20 year old with a crush on the woman who saved his life is allowed, I think, to be bad at asking her out without being assumed to be deficient as a person.

Of course, if Clevin goes on to be hateful to Alison or something, then gently caress him. That's for sure rear end in a top hat behavior.

Yeah, you're right, he's not an rear end in a top hat either. I certainly hope the story doesn't go in that direction because ugh.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Lmao, drat, this guy is a real peach. You sure know how to pick them, Alison.

Honestly, I hate this page so much more because it actually vindicates the commentators that were screaming he was pure evil on the first pages he appeared. He went from guy she rescued from a burning building to slightly ignorant libertarian to massively privileged dickhead pretty quickly.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

rotinaj posted:

Why is Alison still here, honestly? There is some point in this conversation where a logical person with the power of flight would go "Oh. You're a douche. Have a nice life." and fly away, and it boggles my mind she isn't there yet.

I don't have the power of flight and I'd have peaced out immediately after he said it was their choice to work exploitative hours. Like how does someone with any ounce of principle not immediately tell him he's a selfish fuckbag and leave after that outburst?

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Well since they weren't going for a rape parallel, it's a good thing the creative team didn't have their superpowered main character forcefully bend a guy over a table, tell him to stop trying to get free or he'd just hurt himself and then threaten his life, call him sweetheart and tell him he had to do what she wanted and it'll all be over soon (4 hours tops!).

Wait, they did?

Well, poo poo.

Edit: 100% for real though, if the genders in this were switched and it was Superman doing this to a woman then people would not be having a hard time grasping how rapey this whole page is.

Serene Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 5, 2016

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

So seeing she'd deleted that tweet I went into her feed and uhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/MollyOstertag/status/783685897854128128

https://twitter.com/MollyOstertag/status/783695243031916544

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I lost it at teary eyed Alison in the last panel.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Okay, I'm done. I am 1000% done with this comic.

Honest to god, I wasn't even that put off by the whole Mary chapter despite how terrible that was. But this chapter is just abominable. loving dire in every way.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

40 hours a month also doesn't seem like enough organs to even shift the backlog of organs needed in the US alone, at least not for many many years. Hundreds of thousands of people worldwide need organs right now.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I can't believe I kickstarted this garbage. I thought the whole point was that superpowers didn't actually make the world better but ha, gotcha, turns out violence and a deus ex machina libertarian fixs everything.

What a waste of money.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Paladinus posted:

It's fun to be mad at a webcomic.
I love to mock bad webcomics as much as anyone, but honestly this isn't fun for me. I think it's because I was genuinely interested in this, it was okay for a webcomic and it had potential and then it went to absolute poo poo. It was at least trying to do something with its premise and now... I honestly have no idea what happened to the writer. It's like he jumped off a cliff with the wishy washy rapist killing chapter and the utterly bizarre social justice scenes which I still don't know if we were meant to take seriously or not ("the word body triggers me, no one is allowed to use it ever" wtf) and now the ruination of one of the few actually interesting arcs in this comic.

It's just so disappointing, really.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Oh my god, this loving insecure Nice GuyTM nerd rear end in a top hat. I saw the signs way back when she was first seeing Max but Jesus Christ she needs to dump him now, immediately, right this goddamn loving second but she won't because this webcomic is written by a guy exactly like Clevin.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

How I want the "relationship" to go: Alison realises that Clevin is a whiny, entitled Nice GuyTM and dumps him as hard as she dumped Max when he turned into a Libertarian.

How it will actually go: She settles and they get married cause he's just so nice and uncomplicated and everyone loves Clevin right?

Honest to God, nerd guys are the loving worst and he embodies a whole lot of male nerd entitlement with his "i'm sad cause you didn't profusely thank me, your bf of all of 20 pages, in a speech that had literally nothing to do with me". It's a gigantic red flag, but the author doesn't see that because the author is that giant red flag.

When that scene started at the end of a page with him saying he felt sad, I thought it would be because Alison and the gang were reminiscing about the good times they had with the murderer who killed his friend. And that, although his friend turned out to be a dick, he still had complicated feelings about it. You know, something actually interesting.

But nah, it's because he's a loving whiny self-absorbed prick upset about a dumb speech.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

This has been a great way to spend an afternoon while I'm sick; telling people with incredibly bad interpretations of media that they're wrong is a bit of a guilty pleasure that I try not to indulge in too frequently.

Says the one who completely misinterpreted loving Watchmen, of all things.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

If his powers have gotten stronger, it's more likely to be because of the biodynamics powers getting naturally stronger thing that was brought up a couple of chapters ago and is why Alison can fly.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

I thought that was because she was making out with the power amplifier guy. In fact, "superhumans are getting stronger but we don't know why" actually being due some guy with the power to increase the powers of others would have been a neat little reveal.

She got the ability to fly in the murder all rapists chapter, which was before she met Max. In fact, she used her new flight powers to save him from a burning building.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

So the author finally remembered this gigantic plot point from the beginning of the comic and decided to shove it back in after all. I have no hope that it's actually going to go anywhere though.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Axe-man posted:

I'm going to throw out there, that I think the artist kind of has checked out on the project. With the focus on writing, and really, story going where she wasn't originally seeing it going, and it not being interesting to her, it would make sense. The drawing has dramatically changed since the start and that might be commitments and other things, but I think it might just be, that the writing has kind of just made her not give a poo poo.

This is my standing theory. I still am going to rag on her for either doing the least effective underhanded complaint or feeble excuse.

I had a quick scrawl through her website and... kinda? It does currently look less effort than the rest of her stuff, but this is definitely still the "style" she's settled on and all the art I saw there would fit right into the comic. I didn't like any of her illustrations and she mostly draws people, probably because Falstaff is right and her perspective skills are absolutely garbage. I'm not even an artist and I've cringed at the pretty terrible mistakes in the past few SFP pages alone.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

If this chapter ends with Patrick apologising to Clevin I will poo poo a goddamn brick.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

4th panel Alison never fails to make me giggle, it's like she's been dancing after him on her tiptoes.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

my god that is a terrible panel. If you took the arm off of that body (and holy poo poo does that arm look AWFUL where the gently caress is his shoulder supposed to be), he would just look like he was lightly telling Patrick off, there is no movement in that body whatsoever.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

what in the actual gently caress

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Do American cars not have child locks that stop you from opening the doors from the inside? Because it's been a pretty standard thing in Britain since back when I was a child, so it's honestly unbelievable to me that he could even open the door to jump out.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Maybe the mom who is about to murder her child didn't care enough about his safety over the past few years to bother with child locks and didn't think about turning them on this one time.

You don't have to engage the child locks every time you get in the car, it's automatic. But, actually, if you were going to kill your telepathic kid who could read your intentions, surely you would lock them in?

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Horrible thought: she might have just jumped into Feral's brain, rather than out into the world.
To be clear if she made it out of his head, this ENTIRE STORY was so horrifically pointless it boggles the mind.

It wasn't pointless. We got to see the utter loving hilarity that was Patrick's mum picking up a dog and then snapping it's neck like she the worst Saturday morning cartoon villain. That moment was so bad that I have shown it to everyone to laugh at.

But, yes, otherwise Alison went into Patrick's mind literally months ago and we have discovered absolutely zero about this "conspiracy" and Patrick is still as completely batshit as he was at the start. It's incredible how bad this chapter has been, but at least it has been entertainingly terrible.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Calaveron posted:

The thing is neither artist nor artiste realized they were making a rape metaphor when they did that scene of Allison forcing a person to do something they did not want to do under physical and emotional duress

"Calm down, if you keep squirming like that, you're going to dislocate your shoulder."

"Well sweetheart, I was really only asking as a courtesy."

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

The fuckwit author just can't stop accidentally making Alison the loving worst person. What's she's about to do here is a massive violation, far beyond anything Patrick has ever done to anyone else. Sure, he's read unconscious minds for information, but she's literally breaking his mind, changing his entire psyche because.... he has some information she needs?

But I guess last chapter she learned might makes right, so she's totally allowed to break and reform someone else's entire sense of being to get what she wants.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Jesus Christ Alison is the just the loving worst character. She's so far up her own rear end, spouting philosophy 101 constantly because the author thinks that makes her (and him) smart. She does whatever she wants, including various violent assaults and now literal mind-rape, with no consequences because no one can do anything to her. She's a loving monster.

And yet it's also obvious from the framing that we're supposed to agree with her! Look how hosed up Patrick's mind is, that means it's totally okay for Alison to smash it to bits for her own selfish gain.

The author is such a stupid fuckboy and I'm annoyed all over again that I ever liked this comic.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I didn't think I could hate the author even more but, man, he just keeps digging this loving hole deeper and deeper. I also utterly, utterly despise all the sycophants in the comment section praising this poo poo and cheering on Alison. There is a monster in this comic, but it ain't Patrick.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Half the comments are some form of "he was asking for it."

It's real depressing that this is true. The amount of people justifying this makes my stomach turn.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

The lines of action in the last panel are super hosed, it's actually painful to look at.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Look at Alison, the loving expert in mental health now that she's loving punched his problems away.

gently caress this garbage comic, I hope the writer loving dies.

Serene Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Who What Now posted:

He didn't kill his father, his mom did. I know the actions are poorly conveyed but come on.

lmao if you really think Patrick didn't know exactly what his mother would do when handed a knife and that ultimatum.

• Locked thread