Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Counterpoint: Sheriff Joe Arpiao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Flesh Forge posted:

That's our friend Miles. Please don't kill him. :ohdear:

Roughing up date-rapists is an honorable pasttime, one that's run in our family for generations. I'll not have you slander it, sir. :colbert:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Same for me. My hands are registered as lethal weapons. I have to walk around with them in my pockets, since my state doesn't allow open carry.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Flesh Forge is inching further and further into Not All Men territory, and it's getting kind of obnoxious.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
turns out that kinda poo poo is pretty personal for some people, tho?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I can say from personal experience that sufficiently dense guys will absolutely not emotionally register a woman, even an armed one, as being a proper threat. Whether that would apply to someone as blatantly powerful as Allison is unknown, but it's definitely a thing that happens.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
what

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
We don't quite know what it would do. It's basically magic that they're attempting to codify in a scientific fashion. Which is why so much of what they know is guesses based on observational data.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
They co-write some of it, apparently.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
There was that suicidal villain guy with a Death Touch from Animal Man. He probably could have gone without that kind of superpower in his life. :v:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Although they are similar due to their slitted pupils, sharp teeth, and potent regeneration abilities, Feral and Viral are different characters. :v:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Their username is very appropriate.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
That's not what they're saying, though.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

People were saying she doesn't want to do any work to save the world that she just wants to skip ahead to some big revolution. I agree with Captain Oblivious that some people are way too negative about Alison's character regarding her desire to improve the world. That's what I was addressing, what'd you think I was talking about?

I was making fun of their username being "a big flaming stink" when they were making a big flaming stink about it, then you said you disagreed.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

SlothfulCobra posted:

Pintsize is just as justified in not wanting to become a cheap microscope substitute.

lol, you're dumber than Pintsize if you think that's even the slightest extent of what he could use his powers for. It's not even close.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Pavlov posted:

Well, she's being pretty strangely tongue-in-cheek this page, its hard to tell exactly how serious she's being about any of it (except, perhaps, for the last bit). If she's serious about the cop bit, its not too much of a stretch to think she might be serious about the "boys, rapists, technically different" bit.

You've got a persecution complex dude. Either that or you're complete rear end at reading comprehension.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Pavlov posted:

Haha what? For saying it's possible that the serial killer could have some kind-of-lovely views hidden behind dismissive humor? If it makes you feel better I could shut up about it.

Sorry, it appears to be me with the reading comprehension issues.

I'm hoping it doesn't go there though, it'd be cheap and wouldn't thematically resonate with Allison's approach.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
No, I mean the "all men are rapists" idea. I read it as her dehumanizing her victims, viewing them as their crime first and as humans second. That's perfectly compatible with what you're saying.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Oh, I see. People are interpreting that as Moonshadow making a syllogism about men and rapists as opposed to boys. Rather than her justifying the murders she committed based on the alleged crimes of her victims rather than just focusing on her victims' age (and gender). Had to stop and think about it because I don't really care that a crazy serial killer might be a hardcore militant misandrist and don't have the mindset to immediately think that, if this were the case, that this represents the comic's core messaging and not, in fact, the latest supervillain being a villain and making their spiel.

Honestly, if you think Allison and Moonshadow are going to get together and have a #KillAllMen campfire because of how similar their views must be, I don't know what to say.

butbutbutbut #gamergate :qq:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Cat Mattress posted:

Basically, this. If violence has to be committed, it has to be done so by the state, in a legally sanctioned way, with rules governing how it is applied.

Moonshadow's being a murderous vigilante, but it's okay because all her victims magically deserve it, what with being rapists, abusers, and supposedly war criminals (this last assertion being presented only as a "tell, don't show" exposition from Moonshadow herself about just one of her latest batch of victims).

The storytelling itself seems undecided between "Moonshadow's right" and "Moonshadow's wrong". There's some sort of criticism of vigilante justice notably in Moonshadow's rant about how nobody complained when she was violent against other superpowered people, but at the same it's implied all of her victims deserved it.

A good post by a bad poster.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Brought To You By posted:

moral event horizon

Get out of here Troper.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I admire your effort idonotlikepeas, but some dudes are just gonna get mega defensive and dismissive if anything even vaguely feminist talks about rape, and there's really no way to get them to think otherwise.

#notallgoons

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Tar_Squid posted:

Or even more likely, should I also extend judgment to police who have killed people? We have many situations lately where cops have taken the lives of people who were unarmed, surrendering, and even in their own homes at the time of their death. Since very few if any of said cops are facing prosecution for this, am I also justified in taking the lives of said police officers?

That would depend on how egregiously murderous your cops are, I'd say. I'd personally shake the hand of anyone who popped Joe Arpaio.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

Then again, subscribing to moral nihilism means you're about as much worth listening to as the "you're not actually enjoying that painting, it's all just images being projected to your brain where your neural impulses and experiences interact to form your opinion, there's no meaning and nothing's real maaaaaan" guy at an art exhibit.

So, entirely accurate but irritating?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
You're a funny guy, McSpanky. I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Turing and Lovelace happily plucking the apples from the tree of knowledge proves it, she is intentionally putting up murals that defy the moral of the original story.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

The next page will just be the Doctor handing her a copy of The Fountainhead and saying " Be our John Galt , Allison"

Keep proving your title right, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
No? We like to think that, but finding an ideology or cause to fight for/against is often what gives a mentally ill individual the conviction necessary to overcome their empathy and begin killing. It's absurdly simplistic to assume "some people are just broken, nothing else to see here move along." Everyone is a product of both their inherent qualities and their environment, and their culture and identity tend to play a rather major role in the latter.

I Killed GBS fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 22, 2015

• Locked thread