Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alison might not have had the best approach to the problem, but she was certainly doing a lot better than everyone else at the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ChairMaster posted:

Man where is this whole idea that she used some kind of overwhelming force on this dude coming from? She didn't even leave any temporary injuries much less anything lethal or permanent. She just picked him up by his neck, big deal.

He felt threatened by someone he had no chance of fighting back against.

That's it, that's his whole problem with the situation.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's entirely possible that it's both - she'd metabolise alcohol instantly but she's never put it to the test in case she doesn't.

Was Viral ever shown drinking? If painkillers don't affect her I figure alcohol wouldn't either, but they went to a lot of bars.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I was thinking along the lines of her immunity to damage also covering chemical harm, which would include toxins like alcohol. I don't think we've seen any evidence either way on that score.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

That actually brings up a good point. Why is IVS killing people associated with a small town rape trial? I know "super powers don't solve social problems" is a running theme, but stabbing a bunch of high-profile politicians and lawmakers instead actually might accomplish some of that. Hell, approval ratings for the American congress are so low right now, I think you'd find a lot of people who would be totally fine with it.

The first scene of this chapter had the victim come to her about the issue. It seems like she wants to be making sure she's killing for someone, rather than just to satisfy her own sense of justice.

Was it said that the boys were found innocent? Could be they were found guilty and that judge just gave them a slap on the wrist.
(In fact I'd say from the dialogue in that first scene it's implied that that's exactly what happened)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Criminal cases in the US are either guilty or not guilty, defendants are not "found innocent". It sounds like a dumb spergy nitpick but it's a pretty crucial distinction.

I stand corrected.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I can understand why the latest scene with the judge is so heavy-handed - he's alive for less than two pages, need to establish him as a villain before he dies. I guess the question is why. Is IVS punishing him for the abuse shown here, or is his personal life unrelated to her motives? If it's unrelated, is it for the sake of making her vigilantism more palatable? Does it succeed?

This chapter had introduced a lot of elements and hasn't started bringing them together yet, so I guess we'll find out. I assume it'll tie in to Alison's essay about the difference between being defined by what you have vs what you do. Both the IVS and Alison at the party did things other people wouldn't dare to do.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alison is most famous as a superhero. She was invited to the costume party. Everyone trusts - well, trusted - her not to hurt people. I'm sure that guy knew who she was, he just didn't think she would actually hurt him, so he wasn't afraid to get aggressive with her.

The moment it became apparent that she'd be willing to hurt him, the tables were turned, and suddenly she's a monster that's too dangerous to be around. The guy and probably his friends were likely seeing it as making sense with the mentioned scene at the hospital, that she's turning into a dangerous lunatic.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

oh come now. he was intimately aware of the recent events involving her family, and that was contrasted with her not even knowing the basic marital status of his parents. its just another bit of evidence of the alienation she feels from her supposed peers

Hell, she didn't even remember his parents' gender.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

I kinda figure if Feral isn't tier one then tier one basically becomes "just Allison and Cleaver" which is pretty much useless.

I would gauge Tier One as being someone effectively unstoppable by a non-super. So Allison, who can knock down skyscrapers; Cleaver, whose body is made of swords; Patrick, who can manipulate people into anything.

That seems like a useful distinction to make, at least. Feral could be stopped by mundane means, just not killed or seriously injured. She doesn't appear to be exceptionally physically capable, so you could probably just pin her down.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alison wants to change the world for the better, not devote her life to a stop-gap measure. Part of her objection to Viral was that, no matter how many lives she saves, she's not actually solving anything.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That's not really true either.

Alison doesn't believe in much of anything at the moment. She doesn't know what approach to take to fixing the problem. She doesn't even know what the problem is, just what its symptoms are (ie, people suffering and/or dying). She's trying to lay low enough to learn how society works. Then she can figure out what needs to be done to fix it.

Being a superhero gave her the perspective to see how much the world needs saving, and pushed her into wanting to do it, but it didn't give her the tools to do so. Taking down supervillains doesn't save the world, it just stops them blowing up city hall or whatever. Is city hall even worth protecting? Why do people trust a teenager to know what to do just because she can bench-press a tank? What is wrong with people?

It's a struggle relatable to everyone that hasn't given up and settled into misanthropy. Most of us come to the realisation that we can't fix the world, just try to make a small part of it a little better. Alison, though, is left with the niggling feeling that she can, she just needs to know what to do.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

While Hector's parting line does ring true, it's a bit rich coming from him seeng as she just told him a way he can be better than a superhero and he didn't want to because it wasn't fun enough.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Has no one considered that she might be trying to hire them? There's only so much vigilante justice one killer can mete out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I really don't see why you'd hire someone for a mock battle, mock a battle, reveal yourself, and then try to kill them. Especially when your modus operandi is to strike out of nowhere.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So they don't have live ammunition? But then again, I think that's what she's bringing out of the crate.

Hiring them for a mock battle, sure, but if she wanted to kill them she'd have killed them while they were firing blanks at her.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Also, it's probably the artist, but she seriously does not look like she is in shape, unless he meant training and getting in shape with cupcakes.

Really? To me she looks like she's muscular but wearing a track jacket.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Superstring posted:

Don't... mercenaries have to see too?

They already can't see her. Though they might be more at risk of shooting each other.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

The only one who believes Menace has really reformed is the dumb and naive protagonist, and that's because she was convinced by a smooth-talker who could read her mind to find in it what would convince her.

She is also the only one who has seen Menace since he stopped being a supervillain.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That robot has been alive for like four seconds and it's already learning bad things from Alison.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Giving it some aversion to actions that will damage itself would be a good move too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I would hazard a guess that it only works because hair is dead matter. The same technique might maker her skin a bit red.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They look too well-groomed to be homeless. I guess he needs to be surrounded by sleeping minds for some reason. Possibly an experiment of some kind?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Of course, he also still had to get that information, and this is on people that died before anyone knew there was such a thing as super powers. So he must have dug deep enough to find something.

I generally don't subscribe to the idea that Patrick is just leading Alison on for an evil scheme. It would mean that everything that has happened in the comic has been in service of the same childish teenage fantasy this whole thing has been busily making GBS threads on. Supervillains are just as ridiculous as superheroes.
If anything I figure his supervillain phase, if it was ever more than just a phase, was in service of whatever goal he's pursuing now. He would have been in a unique position to know exactly how people would react to learning super powers really exist and may well have jumped quickly at the chance to do damage control, either with fear or with a relatable narrative, whichever the whole Menace thing served better to provide.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suspect Patrick is hoping that Allison can relate to him in a way that no one else can. Both of them are powerful enough to operate completely outside of normal society and no one could really stop them, if they so chose. She might be the only one both able and willing to understand what his life is like.

It's not like she hasn't had contempt for the normals before, what with that speech a couple chapters ago about how people congratulate themselves for being good people when they aren't powerful enough to be bad even if they really wanted to.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alison is lost.

Her whole adolescence she's built herself up as a superhero that lives to fight evil and protect the innocent. Then Patrick showed her just how pointless all that was. She sees the real troubles of the world, and still sees herself as someone with the will and capability to solve them - she just doesn't know how. She's spent her whole life in the comic, and especially in this chapter, looking up to people smarter than herself in the hopes of figuring out just what she's supposed to do. And Patrick was first among them.

That's what this chapter has been all about. Alison looking to her idols in the fact of a superhero who tried to fix one of the world's problems without anyone else's advice. And Patrick totally failed at being what she built him up to be.

Patrick has been taking charge since he was a teenager, accountable to no one. Literally public enemy number one - who could he turn to even if he wanted to? So he's had to figure things out by himself, surrounded by a cacophony of thoughts and feelings. He's taken what he knew at 13 and built a philosophy on it, without ever having cause to examine his views. His worldview is a tower with no foundation and no support, because he's never had to explain it to anyone, so no one has ever criticised it. So, when Alison comes to him looking for perspective, he shares his.

And they both find out it's terrible.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Axiem posted:

Convenient that she developed the ability to fly right before needing to use it for the narrative.

Not sure the narrative really requires it here. She could take a taxi and still reasonably arrive there at the same time relative to the plot.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

If we're supposed to believe that Furnace getting tazered happened on the same night Allison went to Mary's place than her power up is just a narrative convenience. As far as we know there is no reason for Mary to be at this dam unless she's trying to kill Furnace and his new mutation prevents him from being killed by conventional means. Which doesn't make sense since he can still be tazed just fine. We also don't know where this dam is in relation to where Allison but I think they live in New York City and the nearest dam is still an hour by car which is plenty of time for whatever Mary has planned to succeed.

And Mary still has to get out there as well. Seriously, she'll arrive just in the nick of time/just slightly too late no matter how she gets there; it doesn't matter whether she flies or just walks. We don't know when the stuff with Furnace happens relative to this point, and the time it takes to get there is totally immaterial. Nothing about this situation requires Allison to fly, unless this dam happened to be airborne.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mikl posted:

It's been established that Mary doesn't care if she kills some innocent people in her rapist hunt, so why would she suddenly care whether Furnace is guilty or not?

She was going to film it. Possibly hoping to make a big point about how someone you respect could still be a rapist. See the sequence earlier in the chapter when Allison stops that guy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Has Mary at any point claimed to not be a hero fighting to save the innocent? Of course she's going to set up this whole thing away from civilisation. The whole chapter is about how to be a good guy when you massively overpower the bad guys.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Classtoise posted:

I really liked the idea when it started. Alison wasn't the end-all be-all "I'm right" protagonist. Others argue with her and bring up good points ("Yeah it's easy for YOU to advocate pushing for less worrying about our own safety. YOU'RE invulnerable. The rest of us have to be careful regardless of what we teach people"), and there were some great moments that drive home how silly being a "superhero" can be sometimes (a punch-drunk unstoppable tank trying to rebuild a busted playground with no knowledge of building ANYTHING).

But now it just feels like this whole arc has been one long "WE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO KILL RAPISTS, Y'ALL" to pat Mary on the back and I feel like it's gone from taking a stand that "things are complex, it's not always black and white" to "I'M RIGHT LISTEN TO ME I KNOW MORE THAN YOU"

So what you're saying the comic says is, Alison is always right, and the person who Alison was trying to stop was also right?

I still don't get where people are getting "Alison can do no wrong" from. I don't think anyone has agreed with anything she's said all chapter.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 11, 2015

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

e: and yes as you say he is literally the only person in the chapter that disagrees with Mary's killings in the slightest, which is pretty deplorable

Allison disagrees too? Just not for the reasons you want her to.

And no one agrees with what she's doing either, save for the victims seeking revenge.

The comic is all about no one having all the answers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Except the comic went out of its way to bury the idea that no one had all the answers this chapter by making every confrontation a black and white "use of force was completely correct, the person who was assaulted was terrible" situation.

The only way the comic claims to be absolute is that all of Mary's victims were guilty (if that; so far it's more just unquestioned).
No one claims she was right to kill them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is she incredibly rich?

Famous, yeah, but she doesn't seem to have any particular income.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Are they trying to justify Mary? It looks to me like Allison is just stressing over how Mary was trying to make a difference while she was not.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

However powerful they might be in theory, it is nonetheless the case that none of them have actually changed the world despite their best efforts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hollismason posted:

So the result of all of that hunting down someone brutally murdering people( who were assured to be very bad bad bad bad people) is just over? That's it.

"Welp, you killed Furnace"

"Yep"

"okay, peace out gonna start a help line"

She alerted the authorities before even going after Moonshadow. After the encounter I think she reasoned she can't do much to help and isn't even sure she wants to.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's one way to get them out of the way without wrecking your pacing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Well yeah I figured it's referring back to an earlier story point but I don't remember it at all. It seems weird that she's gloating about it, although of course Pintsize just did the same.

Specifically, she's dancing on his head because she was right all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Alison actually has tremendous social leverage (she had much more before she decided to wear jeans and be a college student) and chooses not to employ that at all, whether because the author has a blind spot or has just chosen to depict what he's depicting. There are many things that she could accomplish with that leverage, things that could change our society in a more impactful way than being basically a police person and doing strictly physical things :shrug: It's early in the chapter though.

e: although depicting your super strong characters making PSAs and poo poo would probably not be all that exciting to look at in a comic book however interesting I might think the concept is

Eh, I'm not sure celebrity endorsements are the answer to all life's problems.

• Locked thread