Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Carrasco posted:

That's not necessarily true, I don't think we've ever gotten any information that suggests her metabolism is abnormal. "You are not super-strong, at least not biologically" suggests her physiology is basically normal (at least compared to Cleaver's "muscular, dermal and osteodynamic" anamoly), except that she can exert and withstand incredible force for some reason.

If I had to guess? Humans are, in extreme circumstances, able to exert strength far greater than what is normally available, due to stress temporarily overriding mental limits. We don't have access to it normally because if we went around with all of our mechanically available strength on tap 24/7, we'd rip our muscles off our bones because our bodies cannot physically handle the exertion for more than extremely brief periods. Since Alison is, for all intents and purposes, indestructible, she can tap into this strength any time she wants for as long as she wants because her body is able to handle the forces involved easily.

This wouldn't explain the sheer scale of what she can do, mind, but in true superhero fashion, it's enough of a near-scientific handwave to justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

In this universe, spidey would probably be tier one, but nowhere near Alison-level within that - he's probably wind up mashing his hand on her if he punched her full pelt. From memory he's at the 'press around 10 tons' level.

Spiderman is weird because most of the "official" stats are actually pretty drastic lowballs of what he can do in the actual comics. His thing is that he's actually stupid strong even for most superheroes but unlike most superheroes, he's fighting street-level guys more often than not and so he holds himself back to keep from pasting drug dealers across the sidewalk. As far as I'm aware, the 10 ton thing is more of a lower range of what he can do - he's chucked tanks at people before, and most tanks are in the 60-70 ton range.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

alison's problem is she doesn't actually want to do the work to change the world and just skip straight to the revolution step.

This is actually the exact opposite of what Alison's problem is, because if she "skipped straight to the revolution step" then pretty much everyone in-universe with a position of power or wealth would be dead. Because she would have killed them all in a one-woman bloody crusade to change the world, you see, and the number of people we know of that could realistically have stopped her can be counted on one hand.

Alison's actual problem is that she's bought into the status quo and believes the American Democrat lie of "the system is, at its core, good, and only needs small changes to work." Alison lives in a world where people in power kill children for the crime of possibly being able to make the world better, and she is still supporting the system because the only way she can think of to fix it is an act of violence that goes against her stated beliefs.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Man watching furnce get his throat slit is gonna be satisfying as hell

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

quote:

I think the government would want to avoid pissing off combat capable biodynamics. If they had a way to deal with them, they would not give them so much leeway.

I get the impression that literally the only reason Furnace is a superhero is because the government offered him a paycheck before he found an excuse to become a serial killer, and so far his usefulness-to-liability ratio has been in his favor. He hasn't been implied to have any sort of particular self defense mutation like Allison, so either some handler is going to tell him to can it or, if he doesn't play ball, he'll wake up with a slit throat that can be blamed on the mystery slasher because a violent superhuman that won't do as told is too much of a liability.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 10, 2015

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

McNerd posted:

Not being argumentative but I've honestly lost you. Which is Furnace's valid point?

Anyone named in the news as a suspect of rape is at risk of being killed by the slasher since their M.O. is to target people in the news, which in a vacuum is a valid point since mistakes DO happen. Immediately after that he goes off the loving rails though about ~entitled bitches~ and how people should shut the gently caress up about rape.

E: like if it was a sane person they would probably spin this into a point of how maybe the onus here is on the media to take a few steps back from law enforcement and refrain from naming suspects in the current situation, and maybe raise a point that the media's all-consuming need to turn violent crime into a circus is kind of hosed up, but furnace is a giant tool so of course he's going to blame the victims.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 10, 2015

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Patrick's key failure here is thinking you need to kill every bad person, rather than just killing enough that the remainder are sufficiently terrified into acting morally. Like the Racist Tree parable but with more backbreakers.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh give me a loving break, obviously he means within the last few generations. Christ, you're like the guy who hears someone say "They decimated 'em!" and says "Oh, so they killed one tenth of them? :smuggo: :spergin:"

Jeez.

Yeah nah even limiting yourself to the last couple generations the US isn't even close to matching poo poo like the holocaust, Great Leap Forward, or the Russian revolution.

The US governments done a bunch of hosed up poo poo but claiming they're the most bloody government in modern history is comically ignorant.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It occurs to me that this may be leading up to Alison finding Patrick dead because the US government is tapping her phone and this series of exchanges probably gave them reason to sit up and figure out who it is she just got a protected individual's address from before having her GPS signal jump several thousand feet into the air.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Jesus Christ it's like the author developed an allergy to good writing

Remember early on in the comic, when it wasn't afraid of confronting facts like how Allison actually enjoys beating the poo poo out of people or literally the only reason Allison is a hero and cleaver is not is that one of them is a pretty white girl, or that Allison does the poo poo she does because she has no idea how to unfuck the world, rather than being a middle class Hollywood undergrad who has all the answers and is never wrong?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

IDK I still think Paladin or w/e her name is is gonna turn out to be the badguy that seems like the kind of twist this story would go in for.

Keep in mind that this story just pulled a swerve that was literally so mind-numbingly dumb and character flattening that nobody predicted it

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Tim_Buckley_ham_hands_compilation.jpg

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I follow Ostertag on twitter, because I love her art, and it frustrates me to see her defensive, passive-aggressive reactions to criticism. "Hey, that's not how you draw a bullet in flight." "LOL who even cares about bullets" "Also my suspension of disbelief is falling apart because this chapter makes no loving sense" "lol who can suspend disbelief about a COMIC amirite?"

SVA must be slipping hard these days if they let this kind of poo poo fly from their students, I had this kind of pass-agg criticism deflection flayed away day one when I went to school and I went to a community college.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

Why is there a thread for this webcomic but none for kill six billion demons?

(i will make one tomorrow if no one does)

No don't having a thread curses webcomics to shitness, don't you dare risk k6bd

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there was a movie like this, where they took a lot of effort going through how everything was physically happening, except it was inside somebody's head and purely metaphorical, and it didn't matter at all. I think that movie had a Lord Boy too.

Also, Allison, smashing up a dude's brain sounds like a good way to make him catatonic.

That would be The Cell, which has Jennifer Lopez and Vince Vaughn as an experimental psychiatrist and FBI investigator who do a dive into the mind of Vincent D'onofrio, playing a comatose serial killer, so they can get a lead on the wherabouts of his last victim before she drowns in a slowly filling tank of water.

It had D'onofrios character suffering from a psychosis where his subconscious was split into an innocent child persona and a murderous evil king persona, which is probably what you're thinking of. Also: its a Tarsem Singh movie, so while the writing isn't great the cinematography, set design, and art direction are loving spectacular.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 6, 2018

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also all the characters are kids, so the immaturity involved on all sides made more sense.

Also when Bina tried to solve all of their problems by punching through someones psychic barriers it was presented as a troubling development with immediate consequences.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

now she just looks like a member of the gorillaz

real big dad
real big dad
making pasta
and it won't take long

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I regret to inform you all that wearing a crinoline on the outside is actually a thing a particularly odious variety of twerp does irl, usually involving steampunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

"flag on the moon. how did it get there?"

• Locked thread