Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Jackard posted:

More like she cant get drunk (but you probably realize this?)

Tenebrais posted:

It's entirely possible that it's both - she'd metabolise alcohol instantly but she's never put it to the test in case she doesn't.

That's not necessarily true, I don't think we've ever gotten any information that suggests her metabolism is abnormal. "You are not super-strong, at least not biologically" suggests her physiology is basically normal (at least compared to Cleaver's "muscular, dermal and osteodynamic" anamoly), except that she can exert and withstand incredible force for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

These texts read more like passive-aggressive facebook statuses than anything else.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

You know, it's really odd that the essay used as narration earlier was the origin of the gods when this character is such a perfect fit for the story of the Furies. Believing that blood could only be repaid with blood, being relentless and insatiable, avenging a wronged woman...the chapter even starts off with an invocation.

In the Eumenides, the Furies eventually became part of the justice system; it would be a left turn, but I wonder if this is going to end with the killer being recruited by Pintsize or the government or something.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

As far as anti-Alison contingencies go: given that Cleaver is as strong and durable as her and they can keep him locked up, it's reasonable to assume the government has the ability to contain her as well. (Whether they can subdue her is another matter, but once they do they should be able to hold onto her.)

Hollismason posted:

I thought the party scene was particularly on point, but missed the chance to bring up some serious issues regarding Alison and a disconnect with her abilities preventing something that all women have to worry about and maybe she doesn't have to worry about it that much but it could have went so much further.

But they did bring that up? And the chapter's not over yet. It's also not really the most "serious" issue here, because no one in real life is invulnerable. It did serve as a good commentary on people who comment about oppression without personally experiencing it, but that might be as far as they can take it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So on this page, Patrick says he doesn't "really identify as a person". That hasn't been revisited since, but on the second page of this chapter IVS says "I am not a who". Wonder if that's narratively significant as a connection between them, or if it's just a broader social trend among the biodynamic.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

as long as we're complaining about various stupid details did anyone else almost roll their eyes out of their sockets when they brought up that the biodynamics in europe didnt call themselves superheroes or anything?

i mean cmon europe is not nearly that removed from the concept of capes and im sure plenty of dumb teens would go hog wild for the spandex and domino mask if they got superpowers

Well, there are some British superheroes, but I think realistically most people would be like Johnny and be more defined by their interests and abilities than superpowers. The US being an exception is probably a commentary about the US being defined by its use of force. In terms of the story's internal logic, it could also be a reaction to Menace hijacking the first public statement on the phenomenon, meaning that to some extent he defined what that means for Americans.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So this page mentions that Moonshadow is both incredibly stealthy and has apparently been off the radar for a while. What're the odds she turns out to be the vigilante?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The very first time we saw Pintsize physically, he was riding in a limo.

Really, they're celebrities with unique abilities, government clearance, and thousands or millions of people who owe them their lives. As the first issue showed, they have licensed merchandise and everything; that alone should keep them for life.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It should feel cheap that we didn't hear anything about Alison having a teammate with invisibility powers until after we'd gotten to the part in the story with the invisible killer, but the other way round probably would've been more unsatisfying.

Also: called it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I'm just reminded of that alt text early on, something like "Alison is a little awkward or reserved around most people because she is constantly coming up with one-liners".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

While Hector's parting line does ring true, it's a bit rich coming from him seeng as she just told him a way he can be better than a superhero and he didn't want to because it wasn't fun enough.

This is a really solid observation. Like he's not saying she's wrong--he says "yeah" in response to her idea--he just says he personally doesn't want to do it.

I think they were having two similar but diverging conversations here--Alison wants to focus on how best to help people, Hector's focused on personal fulfillment. They are often one and the same, but as Hector's response shows, they aren't always. And while there's nothing wrong with prioritizing self-actualization over altruism, once he does so he's talking about something completely different than what Alison is trying to do.

Really, this makes him the opposite number to Feral: the best thing she can figure out to do with her anomaly is both infinitely worse to experience and, in the long run, may be vastly less world-changing than what Hector could potentially accomplish. But she still does it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The fact that they call her "the client" instead of "the target" means she's probably the one paying them.

Jackard posted:

I still doubt they are there for training. Moonshadow doesn't need it.

On the contrary, training to replace Alison is one of her defining traits. The first time we saw her, she was working out. As the flashback Sonar narrated indicates, she's become seriously driven to keep improving. At this point professional mercs may be the only non-biodynamics who can offer her any sort of challenge.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Carrasco posted:

At this point professional mercs may be the only non-biodynamics who can offer her any sort of challenge.

Well, maybe not that much of a challenge.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Reading what she's saying here a little more closely, I wonder if she actually has some sort of legal mandate here, a federal carte blanche that supersedes local authority. Perhaps whatever jurisdictional power the Guardians were given (which seems to have been quite broad) was simply never revoked, even if using it to execute people who have been acquitted is against the spirit of the thing.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Falstaff posted:

The question on my mind at this point is why, if Paladin is such an obvious robotics prodigy, has she not been bumped off by whatever force wants to bump off anyone who's capable of changing the world? Seems bleeding edge robotics would qualify.

Unless of course she's sold out to the powers-that-be. I suppose that would explain the police mechs we've seen occasionally in the background.

Robots are pretty cool, but they're not on the level of unlimited free energy or singlehandedly eradicating illness. Whoever did this probably expect to benefit disproportionately from the advances she's making.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

She picked up the deathbot without either sinking into the concrete or having it collapse under its own weight, so superhero physics are in full effect.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Slashrat posted:

I like how all her attempts at creating an idealized version of a conscious intelligence, results in said intelligence immediately becoming homicidal/suicidal. It's a chilling fact considering that she's demonstrably very good at it.

Well, not all attempts, just the first three. Presumably the AI she had greeting the door isn't totally homicidal.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

They didn't even let her finish her sentence about taking people out of context.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Moonshadow probably drew that dick on his door, too.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

We never saw Private Bernal ask her to kill the soldiers, so it may not actually be a requirement. (Or it may just be that it happened off-screen.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Huh. Is she covering for Moonshadow to try to investigate on her own, or is she not totally sure it was her? Covering seems to make more sense, but if that was the case she probably wouldn't have suggested "it's gotta be a high tier invisible".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

New comic. I think the idea she doesn't want to believe it's Moonshadow is the right one here, she seems relieved in that last panel.

Of course, it's not hard to make an alibi when you can slip in and out of a public place without anyone seeing you go.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Could be she's employed to kill people by the government but is also doing it on the side for the rush/personal satisfaction/because she's too far gone/etc.

She made a point of saying she's not getting paid for this. And if Moonshadow was acting under the government's direction, wouldn't she be getting targets from them instead of meeting people in barns or watching the news? For that matter, wouldn't she have just made them, literally, disappear instead of trying to send a message? (It may still possible Moonshadow has some sort of legal aegis--the government sponsored the Guardians' activity and everything, and even though the Guardians haven't been an active entity she made still have a lot of latitude and discretion--but it wouldn't make sense on either a thematic or factual level for this to be some kind of X-Files conspiracy.)

Anyway, the way Alison's acting doesn't really add up to "discreetly trying to gather information." Her body language is nervous, not cagey, and her line of inquiry would probably be more general than leading straight to Moonshadow. (And why would her doctor be in on a murder conspiracy, anyway? That's the kind of thing you'd want to compartmentalize.)

Her relationship with Rosenblum is one of trust--in this scene, she knows the truth, but she feels guilty about hiding it. She knows revealing that it's Moonshadow is the right thing to do, but she doesn't even want to acknowledge it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Assuming a direct analogy to the autonomic system, probably not significantly so--a depressed person's heart rate and other vital signs will be different, but they won't just keel over.

I don't think it's necessarily that her powers "want" her hair to be removed--it's been established that different parts of her body have different compositions (like how Cleaver was able to cut her skin but not her skull), so it may just be that her hair is weaker than the rest of her. Or maybe freezing her skin could make her more vulnerable too, in which case she's putting an even bigger amount of trust in Rosenblum here than it seems.

Which, even if that's not literally what is happening, is why I think they're having the doctor cut her hair instead of a professional hair dresser. Rosenblum's her therapist, so this is just another way to build rapport and intimacy between them.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Tollymain posted:

yeah i imagine the government is pretty keen on ensuring allison has strong emotional bonds with squishy mortals

actually why isn't that a common theme in stories featuring absurdly powerful characters? you'd think you could mine some interesting material out of semi-artificial relationships pushed by outside agencies to keep potentially walking disasters grounded

It's not anything sinister, it's a little more extreme than most therapeutic relationships but it's the same basic idea--you need this kind of rapport for therapy to work at all. Rosenblum is also the scientist investigating her anomaly (which is unrealistic but probably a nod to comic book science) so it makes sense to gather the sample in a way that furthers their relationship rather than something dehumanizing.

Just because it's the government doesn't mean it's a conspiracy, you know?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So they...incinerate it? Must be worried about someone trying to clone her.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I'm really hoping Allison is playing dumb to get information and not actually this loving stupid to not think that Moonshadow is not the killer. I'm hoping.

If she was playing dumb, saying "it looked like I saw Moonshadow" would pretty well defeat the purpose.

From our point of view, it's clear that it was Moonshadow--we've seen her do it, and no alternate possibilities have been presented. But from Allison's point of view, she only saw a very small part of the killer's face, for a split second, she knows of more than one biodynamic who could have committed these murders, and most importantly, she wants to give her friend (or at least longtime colleague) the benefit of the doubt.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 18, 2015

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

He looks exactly like Aquaman wearing a domino mask.

thebardyspoon posted:

This dude is probably going to get his throat cut on live TV then right?

On paper, he's actually a pretty bad matchup for Moonshadow. If she slit his throat, he could probably kill her while bleeding out by setting the entire surrounding area on fire. He would probably resort to that anyway if he suspected she was in the area.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

He read Alison's mind to use the exact same words Paladin said.

Patrick may not be a supervillain anymore, but he's still kind of a dick.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Tollymain posted:

i'm pretty sure he created those dossiers himself while trying to find people with world-shaking powers (and learning holy poo poo they're all dead)

Yeah, this seems most likely. If he'd managed to get his hands on the conspiracy's files, he'd have a lot more insight into them than he does.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

McNerd posted:

The question that interests me is, how much could Patrick refrain from being "manipulative" even if he wanted to? I'm sure he has no idea how he would act if he couldn't read your mind, so it's not like he can just decide to act that way. He seems to know automatically more or less how you'll respond to anything he does, so however you respond, you're doing what he wanted.

I think he would have avoided using the phrase "taken over the world" if he was 100% the perfect manipulator. For that matter, Alison wouldn't be so mad and resentful at him if that was the case.

His telepathy is probably ultimately like another sense--it's always going to be on, for better or worse, but that doesn't mean he can always interpret all the information it's giving him, or even always know how best to act on it. Sometimes there is the glaring red "do this" there, but I imagine most people's minds aren't always so straightforward that he can know exactly what to do all the time without specifically ferreting it out.

But mostly, this conversation is emotionally charged for him too. It's getting at the heart of his interests, desires, and ego in a way that possibly no one but Alison can. So he can see exactly what Alison's thinking, he could think of the optimal way to respond to it--but like any of us in an emotional moment, he's forgetting what he "should" say in favor of what he wants to say.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I suspect Patrick is hoping that Allison can relate to him in a way that no one else can. Both of them are powerful enough to operate completely outside of normal society and no one could really stop them, if they so chose. She might be the only one both able and willing to understand what his life is like.

It's not like she hasn't had contempt for the normals before, what with that speech a couple chapters ago about how people congratulate themselves for being good people when they aren't powerful enough to be bad even if they really wanted to.

On top of that, she is the only other person who knows this big, almost existentially terrifying secret, the thing he is thinking about all the time. It's only natural that he'd be desperate to talk about it, especially since from his point of view everyone else gets to go around shouting their deepest fears at the top of their lungs.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Male Man posted:

I assumed she did some sort of super-strength exhale thingy.

That's what it looks like to me.

The second-last panel feels like such a non sequitur though. Like even if he's responding to something she thought, why would he say that? An elaborate and possibly suicidal act of self-sabotage?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

I mean if this were purely a misdirection, this wouldn't be necessary since he had already gotten the subject away from whatever activities he may be involved in. If he just wanted some distance and was thinking clearly, all he would have to say is that he wasn't comfortable with the situation and needed time/space and he should know Allison well enough that she'd respect that. So his response really doesn't make sense unless it some emotional knee-jerk kind of thing.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I guess the problem with being able to manipulate people into doing whatever you want is, well, in situations where you're not totally sure what you want.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It takes a lot of fun out of this scene when you realize that since this new thing is something Alison has apparently experienced before, that means Patrick knew about it too.

Anyway, if her powers go beyond "strong! and tough!" that bodes very well for her being able to Fix Everything. Obviously she just needs to get to the point where she can affect the entire planet like this, and then have enough control to just stop anything bad before it happens.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

Do we have any reason to believe she needs to breathe?

Cleaver needed to breathe, and they're both "Tier 1 Resilient", albeit by different means ("autonomic somadynamism" versus "muscular, dermal and osteodynamic savant").

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

What also isn't clear is what "you can't read your own mind" means or why that throws him for such a loop, aside from the fact that he's probably a bit surprised that she started floating and loving up everything in his office.

I think that was pretty clear. Alison assumed that he knew himself as well as he knows others. Patrick was aware that his anomaly couldn't be focused on himself, but had convinced himself that it didn't matter until he said everything he thought out loud all at once, and Alison made him realize his beliefs were totally inconsistent--because he hadn't really thought about them. (After all, he doesn't really have to do any introspection or reflection to instantly see the flaws and contradictions in anyone else's beliefs, so if he doesn't discover any holes in his own thinking the second he has the thought, that must mean his logic is foolproof.)

This ties back into the idea that no one really knows what they're doing, no matter how powerful they are.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Considering she sustained a serious injury while flying, she's probably safer just hanging out and letting herself get electrocuted.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

As far as this chapter goes, Paladin and her reinterpretations of myths were pretty great. We got monologues out of her too, but not only did they actually go somewhere instead of twisting in circles, they were presented in a visually interesting way that helped keep things engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Classtoise posted:

I get this sinking feeling it's little more than the writer thinking "How do I make Moonshadow look like the victim after becoming a serial killer?" and their best idea was "Have Furnace blow up a dam."

EDIT: And she's STILL at fault because she's the one who drugged him, dragged him there, strapped a bomb to him, and then planned to kill him the second anyone tried to save him!

She didn't do that last part, or she would've slit his throat the second Alison showed up. But yeah.

• Locked thread