Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

thatbastardken posted:

I'm not a chemical weapons expert but don't things like mustard gas need to react with the body in some way? If fire doesn't burn her then would a nerve toxin be able to stop her heart? I guess you could flood a sealed room with halon or carbon dioxide, but the logistics of making a room that could hold her are pretty intense.

Well, if she needs oxygen, at least some chemical reactions occur normally. Maybe Carbon Monoxide poisoning would be close enough to regular breathing to take her out?

It's a long shot, though. She has no problem running around in burning buildings and she shot herself with the gun in her mouth. Her respiratory system is as crazy hardy as the rest of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Well said Fried Chicken.

As another thing in Alison's favor, though, the look on the dude's face on page 19 is super creepy. She went off of suspicions, but they were very well founded suspicions.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Oh hey, an update.

It's nice to see Alison's idealism clash with the practicality of those who aren't demi-gods.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I feel like Alison doesn't really have respect for Hector. He's still very attached to his childhood image of heroism, which is childish and distasteful to her. I could easily see that meaning she doesn't take the emotional distress he's going through seriously even though it is probably very serious.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

In today's SFP, see how much you can hate a fucker in just one page.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

#notallabusers

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's not unreasonable, so it'll make sense if something like that comes up. It's a little premature to say it's "absolutely certain" though. We don't know enough about the military's feelings about Alison or Alison's powers to know for certain. Speculation is fun, but it is just speculation.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It looks like the arc isn't about rapists or domestic abusers. It's about the proper use of power to stop them. There are plenty of people who commit rape and get away with it. There are plenty of people who will beat their wife at he slightest provocation. I don't think it's a mark against the comic to not get into nuanced and complicated portrayals of this stuff when it's the reaction to this stuff that it really wants to talk about.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

So the pdf just came out. The thing about Indian capes was pretty neat.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We just love our construction industry is all.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yes, I got an email with a link to download the pdf. The email was from strongfemaleprotagonistcomic (gmail), if that helps you search your spam filters.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Alison holding a dude by his throat is more like holding a gun to his head than it is just roughing up a guy.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Absolutely guessing? She didn't just see a guy leaving with a drunk girl and assault him. She questioned him, and he totally failed.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Alison being a bit too wrapped up in herself is an interesting theme of this chapter. Earlier she was checking her phone while in the middle of meeting a guy. Now she's clueless about basic details of lives of people she spent years fighting alongside.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Wow, Alison being wrapped up in herself was important. Who would have thunk.

I find it interesting that the point is that she used to be worse. It was a satisfying little twist. I see a bit of a parallel between Alison social power structures. Didn't used to give any thought at all to the weak, but is now still kind of sucky but at least aware that it needs to change. Brad reacts by seeing this as a very positive thing. I wonder if Pintsize or Moonshadow will have the other obvious reaction. Namely, gently caress you rear end in a top hat.

Also, is it just me or did Moonshadow used to be a little plump? Cool to see a bodytype in a superhero suit that you rarely see.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That would also explain why the news didn't instantly go, "Has Moonshadow gone rogue?" when an invisible person went on a stabbing rampage.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

She calls him Brad at the end when they hug. He also goes back and forth on calling Moonshadow by her real name or not. Probably just like having nicknames, right?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

She seems to be saying it affectionately, but that smile could also be seen as jerkish.

The last panel is pretty funny if you read it in the chipmunk voice he is no doubt using.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

"Punching people isn't making the world better" is the actual reason why she quit, and she's been totally honest about that.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

And there goes my sympathy for Hector.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

That would make this the most D&D comic of all time.

Dungeons&Dragons or Debate&Discussion?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think it's odd how hard on Alison people are because I can't see how she's not doing the right thing. She's a young women in college trying to figure out the world and her place in it. Trying to figure out how best to help the world before diving into doing this is not a bad thing. How many well intentioned charities have done serious damage rather than helping? She has a lot of power, and taking steps to try and make sure she's using it well strikes me as the more moral choice.

Remember that Feral spent years journeying across the world before deciding on how she was going to make a difference.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

How is she even pushing him? He's all down about not being able to do good as a part of the Guardians. She's pointing out that he can be a hero in other ways.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The comment section is up.

God help us all.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Sometimes the hover text gets added later on - there have been a bunch of pages that didn't have it when they went up. (Don't know if it's for Drama Reasons or if Brennan just hasn't come up with one yet.)

Also, the hover text sometimes changes after a few days.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

She grew up as a literal costumed superhero fighting giant robots. Theatricality can't be too alien to her. Also, she then decided the best use of her power was to brutally murder teenagers, but only after making a really weird, dramatic speech to the person those teenagers hurt. If she thinks these guys are bad for whatever reason, I would not be surprised if she kills them.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The guy didn't say innocent. He just called them boys, which they absolutely were. By saying they are rapists and not boys, she is dehumanizing her victims. I am sure the soldier dehumanized that family, quite possibly through racism as Molybdenum suggests.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Why not? Alison talked about being tempted to throw everyone who's a fan of Ayn Rand into the sun. The tendency to see people who believe evil things or do evil things as monsters instead of people is very strong. With that tendency comes a belief that it's OK to do anything to them because it will make the world better. I think you can see Moonshadow and Alison as two sides of how to react to that impulse.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Welp, it's party time.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think her goal with these guys was training. So this is just the second stage of her training session.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Crazy is a loaded term to use, but I'm not sure how you can argue against her being in an incredibly psychologically unhealthy place. Healthy people do not self righteously kill people who are helpless to stop them. Healthy people do not say things like "I am not a who."

Rereading this page, I noticed that Moonshadow says "I know what you're going through. I know what it is that you feel." Does this mean Moonshadow was sexually assaulted at some point?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

How is it muddled? She isn't a completely irrational crazy person, but she is not psychologically healthy either. She has deep issues, but psychological health isn't something where you either possess a rational mind or you don't. This is someone who has had to fight in life or death situations since she was just a teenager. She has been exposed to a huge amount of trauma and pressure throughout her life.

She has been consistently theatrical. Her speech from the first few pages was way over the top. She killed those kids when they were in public in front of witnesses.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Holy Christ Moonshadow.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

What an amazing first appearance of a backer in the comic.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The message isn't "don't kill bad people because you might accidentally kill someone who isn't bad." It's "don't kill bad people because murder is not a solution to societal problems." That's why every single one of Moonshadow's victims being scum is absolutely the thematically appropriate choice.

It impresses me how many people in this thread seem to believe that murder is fine as long as the victim deserved it. I think this is another reason why the comic had to spend so many pages showing just how far gone Moonshadow is. Without them, even more people would fail to see any problem with Moonshadow's actions. What's wrong with killing bad people? They're bad!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Also that professor with the dead husband was fired, so he's not in the best position to approve independent studies.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think the robots might be former Templar robots that have been re-purposed. They're friendly and harmless, but occasionally the old programming shines through.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Her power is being a super genius technology person. It makes sense that she would forcibly reject anti-technology, anti-knowledge, anti-progress messages.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think she lost her leg to a supervillain.

I think futurists are often stupid and creepy, sure, but uploading holds appeal in that it could make people effectively immortal. Or at least far less mortal than they are now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Futurists often make the mistake of thinking that greater technology will necessarily result in a utopic society. I think it's also a mistake to think that greater technology will necessarily result in a dystopic society.

Immortality could create a lot of problems, but I have a hard time seeing "I don't want to die" as a fundamentally creepy sentiment. People dying isn't the fundamental key to developing a more progressive society. People live longer on average nowadays, but the rate of social change has if anything gotten faster.

• Locked thread