Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I enjoy how blatantly wrong his first sentence is. The ability to consider others complexly sounds like theory of mind. Sociopaths typically have incredible theory of mind.

The comments that get to me are the responses to people wondering why this support group doesn't seem very supportive. Apparently, it's just normal for support groups to be extremely challenging, difficult spaces. Is this really true? Seems kind of awful if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Also, it is a great way to have more Amanda in the future. How could you not want more Amanda in this comic?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

what statement is the writer trying to make with Max and his dialogue?

Alison has bad taste in men.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I have to say I'm kind of with Alison here. What's so weird about looking to network? Alison is running a charitable organization where biodynamics help women. Brad is running an organization that helps biodynamics, half of whom are women. People can take care of themselves and also take care of other people.

Yeah, Alison can be kind of a busybody maybe, but that's hardly a negative thing for someone running an organization.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Carrasco posted:

Can't see panel 4 as anything but a Mr Peanutbutter cameo.

What is this, a crossover episode?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Project Valkyrie: It's like uber, but for superheroes.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Mikl posted:

Yes, no buts or ifs about it.

So if you're really good at math, you have to pursue a career that uses that well even if you don't want to?

"I won't use my gifts to help and I won't even explain myself because I don't know anything to anyone" is obviously stupid and reprehensible. I'm not sure "everyone must use their gifts and talents to benefit society no matter what" is particularly better.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

:suspense: will she beat him up and make him join the supersocialjusticefriends?

I kind of hope so. He's an idiot to not have considered the risks of saying no.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It pretty much has to be intentional, right? She bent him over a table and called him sweetheart for christ's sakes. They couldn't possibly have these parallels with last chapter's subject matter happen on accident. Right?

I have to disagree with the people saying it's a big deal that we don't know Max's power. We know he can easily and directly help other people but just doesn't want to. That seems like enough. All that matters is we can accept that Alison would totally do this but also that it's a bad idea, and that is where I was going in.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Unreal. Digging into replies to that tweet a little bit, she agreed with a tweet saying there were very specific legal definitions of rape, so of course this is not rape. Which, just, what?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Don't forget that Trump didn't know what the nuclear triad was. Also, in his first briefing, he apparently asked multiple times why he couldn't just use nukes.

There are many ways Trump is cataclysmically outside the norms for a presidential candidate. Or president elect, I guess. If you think people are freaking out over nothing, you are the one lacking proper perspective.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Yes, but he's cooperating with the dudes trying to kill her. Why didn't he defend her? Why isn't he surprised? I guess they'll get to that later :confused:

e: I'm not criticizing this, just baffled at what's going on, that's not exactly a complaint.

This is the last page of this story.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

How many months has it been since anything whatsoever has happened?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This scenario didn't have to be bad. I mean, guys being insecure about their high performing girlfriends is an issue in real life. Two people talking through weird lovely feelings caused by sexist social scripts could potentially in some world be interesting. But Jesus it's so bad. The writing, the set up, the art, the pacing, everything.

I think this comic has always had an ideal of what it wants to be. It's never realized that ideal, and the reality of the comic has gotten further and further away. You can barely even make out what idea the creators might have that would possibly motivate them to sit down and create this.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Men in fridges would be a good turn on the usual. I'm disappointed, I got into this from the strong start that the OP talked up, and just haven't enjoyed any of it for a while. Is this a case of the author running out of story to tell, or what?

I think they got ambitious with the rape chapter. It's a really difficult topic. They didn't have the whole chapter written ahead of time, though, so they compensated for the bigness of the ideas they were trying to grapple with by writing a bunch of pages. Without good structure, everything fell apart and became stupid and bad. They blocked out all criticism. Now every chapter will be more of a formless blob of ever more half-assed ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The rape chapter was turbo-garbage my man. "Rape is bad, but murder is good! As is torture." is a really hosed up moral to dance around and celebrate. Especially when chapters later your character is still jerking off the unhinged torture murderer and no one felt bad about the maybe innocent people that died.

I don't disagree at all. I just think that wasn't their intention.They weren't trying to say rape is bad but torture and murder are good. They ended up saying that because they weren't trying to say anything at all. They had no thesis statement.

If super powers were real, a rape victim/child soldier going on a vigilante murder spree is plausible. And that vigilante believing they are in the right also makes sense. Unfortunately, they forgot the part where that character's point of view should be part of a larger story that is saying something less than morally reprehensible about the world.

TypicalPubbie, they didn't admit to it as far as I know. But the chapter took a couple of years to make. Also, a lot of the chapter is a series of disconnected conversations that don't really lead anywhere.

• Locked thread