Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Page
I'm beginning to think that Paladin needs to re-examine what she programs her robots to do.
Would you like some Deadly Neurotixin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

As I said, the alt-text basically sums up my thoughts.

Here at Excelsior, we believe in providing solutions for the problems of tomorrow, innovating new technologies for a changing world, and PUNCHING THE SUN!!!

Live a little, people.

You're not supposed to punch the sun, you're supposed to praise it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm hoping that Paladin can help push Alison out of this slump she's in. It'd be nice for her to finally start taking action to solve one problem instead of trying to think of a solution to all problems.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's almost like those robots are tiny posters on their own terrible forum.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Yeah, my frame of reference are the Tachikoma episodes from Ghost in the Shell.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't know, with all the glorification of past figures filtered through her own personal lense, I get more of an Andrew Ryan (pre-crazy) vibe from her as of lately. All she needs is an excuse and I'm sure she would build a technological utopia sequestered from the rest of society.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That depends on whether or not Moonshadow will switch M.Os from Rapists to people who assisted super villains.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I didn't make the connection, but I can't even remember the last time Templar was a plot point since Patrick had that meeting with the Chinese supers at the dock. Pretty sure people have been namedropping it occasionally though so eh.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
In this update we learn that Menace has employed the most terrifying foe to keep Paladin in his grasp for all these years lawyers.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

He always seemed to work through intermediaries, from what we've seen. Possibly precisely due to the issue Paladin is describing.

I can imagine that whatever thoughts go through someone's head while they are dying are disturbing enough to the guy who can't turn off his telepathy. I wouldn't say that he hasn't been near people who have died, he seemed pretty collected at the hospital after Allison punched a guy through a wall, but he built his original organization so that he wouldn't have to be on the front-line. Maybe there is something more to that than maintaining secrecy for his identity.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I've always thought that he just changed targets once he realized that something bigger than him was out there. He still is acting like a villain in the shadows, just with a much smaller body count (as far as we know).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Nah, Joan just want to play rock paper scissors and thinks Allison is first in line. Either that or a dance competition.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Oh hey...we're going to re-visit this event now. Huh. Color me surprised.

Edit: I'm guessing this is where we are also bringing Moonshadow back into the story once she finds out why Allison was giving this guy a lift in the first place.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 30, 2014

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MikeJF posted:

It also really depends on just when that video starts and stops.

I was thinking that too and unless I have the timeline off in my head, their should be some footage of Allison asking the dude if he knew Daphne. The part where the video is queued up should cover everything from Panel 4 of this page after. And I don't think there was too much time between when she starts questioning the guy, and when she hoists him into the air.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Slashrat posted:

I'm thinking the "has to be asked" protocol may be a mistaken assumption. Maybe she just wanted to judge in person whether the girl was telling the truth, since it appeared that the case was basically a "she said/they said" scenario with no hard evidence. There was evidently evidence of the soldiers' misdeeds that Moonshadow's sources were able to dig up, and if she's really behind the Miles' murder, it could suggest that she trusts Allison's judgment enough to act after seeing Allison voice her suspicion of the daterape-in-progress on youtube (though it might also just have caused her to research him more indepth, leading to other evidence that she acted on).
Each case we've seen up to this point have been cases where the guilty party was not successfully convicted for their crimes. The gas station boys and Soldiers were all attached to televised cases seen throughout the chapter and given how the author hasn't provided any ambiguity it's pretty much guaranteed that they were all guilty. We still don't know if Daphne asked Moonshadow to kill this guy but it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to believe that Moonshadow has gotten so full of herself that she has completely dropped the "has to be asked" condition and is just killing people now if they meet her criteria. After the barn and the overblown theatrics used there she looks like she has pretty much gotten drunk with power.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Is there really a difference between explicitly asking for someone to be killed and just giving their name in this situation? Because that would mean that killing was not the only option for Moonshadow to pursue and that hasn't been the case the entire chapter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Error 404 posted:

In most places I've seen it come up, it's called 'tactile telekinesis' because it's tk that requires physical contact vs the typical 'move it with your mind' flavor of tk.

But I like your name for it so much better! :buddy:

I remember when every other line from Superboy was about his tactile telekinesis...I'm glad that they just decided to go with a more scientific classification.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nimby posted:

Depending on how strong her invisibility is (hiding her temperature etc.) would it even matter that she's outed? Keep in mind Moonshadow is a deranged serial killer, she probably craves the attention. Probably wants to prove to the world she's now a better super than Mega Girl, killing right under her nose and getting away with it.

Yeah, she's on a full fledged power trip now. Trying to outsmart and out play the person she has a huge grudge against deliberately is something I expected her to do at some point this chapter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Trast posted:

If that is the case it will be interesting to see why the government is killing seemingly unconnected civilian rapists. Especially when the marine corp exists. :v:

That was my thought too. There would be simpler ways to eliminate each perpetrator without leaving the obvious calling card of "invisible slasher".
My best guess is that if the government is involved, it's a plan to stir up anti-biodynamic sentiments and get some legislation passed to put tighter restrictions on biodynamic rights. But that doesn't seem to mesh with anything else in the current plot minus the new rules regarding biodynamics like Paladin mentioned in the beginning of the chapter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Could be she's employed to kill people by the government but is also doing it on the side for the rush/personal satisfaction/because she's too far gone/etc.

I like that angle better. And it would explain why the government might be covering for her. It would probably look bad if the public found out that one of their heroic icons was performing government wetwork.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Come on. Moonshadow's not employed by the government as an assassin. We know that.
Where did we learn that again? I thought the DEA had approached the Guardians but we don't know if Moonshadow actually refused them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

She's worked for the government yea, as a part of the super hero team which led to some shady stuff in the later years, but there's zero reason for us, the audience, to make the jump to 'goverment-sanctioned assassin' because there's no proof or anything in the comic to suggest that Moonshadow has been working as such. There's enough circumstantial evidence that might lead Allison (who doesn't know as much as we do) to suspect that as Captain Bravo pointed out, but trying to fit Moonshadow's rampage into a framework where these are government targets isn't going to work.

Now, is it possible that she did assassination work 'behind the scenes' as a Guardian, before going rogue? Sure, I guess. Nothing ruling it out. But there's also nothing to lead us to that conclusion, so, you know, let's not invent stuff before there's reason to?

I don't follow the theory that Moonshadow is building up to some political assassination, I just think that there is a third party at play here providing her with protection at best. Or maybe the paranoia has finally set in.
It stands to reason that somehow Moonshadow has an alibi for the current crime, or at least Dr. Rosenblum is leading Allison to believe that for whatever reason. Now as far as the government employing Moonshadow, that might be a little far-fetched. All of her killings so far haven't been anything that would require vast resources (with the exception of the barn incident which is still plausible given Moonshadow's background); and seem to be very personal acts since she is focusing on a specific crime with a very specific criteria (Highly publicized rapists who don't get convicted).

I'll just parrot Poisonous Mushroom and say you can replace "government" with "they" and it's still the same effect.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Really? That's what you thought I was saying? That Moonshadow is about to stab the president? Christ, D- for reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

Might want to see who I was responding to before you hand out report cards.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'd be interested in a series about a barber that deals with super powered clientele. I can't imagine that there is much demand in Allison's universe for barbershops to stock liquid nitrogen and circular saws.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 12, 2015

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So will future generations of Biodynamic individuals also be randomly distributed, or will the normal form of gene inheritance take over now that the first generation has been "seeded".

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Speaking of Patrick, Allison has finally decided to call in the big guns now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

khy posted:

How many other people like to nitpick about this stuff?
I put forth a theory that her invisibility is more of a mental ability few pages ago. Otherwise it makes no sense why some things are invisible and some aren't barring her clothing having the same properties that her body has while invisible. The page where Allison can see Moonshadow's eyes kind of puts more weight to that theory since it makes sense that MS might willingly drop parts of her veil but not the whole thing.

thebardyspoon posted:

This dude is probably going to get his throat cut on live TV then right?
Nah, that would be too easy. If he goes, it's going to be in some dark alley when he's on patrol.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Could we have had anyone else in the SFP universe talk about what Furnace said in panels 1 & 2? Because that's the first time in-comic that anyone has made that connection out loud and it's coming from that rear end in a top hat.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

McNerd posted:

I don't know, I think he was being rather an rear end in a top hat in those panels. Now you're conspiring to commit vigilante murder even if you make a true rape allegation? Or even if it's private and (like Alison) you don't know you're being recorded?

Nah, that's panels 3+ all he says in 1&2 is that people who appear on the news are targets.

edit: Re read the page and saw panel 1. I'd argue that if the news did pull rape related stories just because of Moonshadow's actions it wouldn't be in anyone's interest except the hypothetical innocent person who is falsley accused. So yeah, now Furnace has one valid point and the rest is bunk.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 10, 2015

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

Anyone named in the news as a suspect of rape is at risk of being killed by the slasher since their M.O. is to target people in the news, which in a vacuum is a valid point since mistakes DO happen.
Yeah, this is his only valid point. And since Moonshadow has kept the same M.O across all of her killings (except the soldiers) it wouldn't be possible for anyone to just brush off each death as an isolated crime.

quote:

E: like if it was a sane person they would probably spin this into a point of how maybe the onus here is on the media to take a few steps back from law enforcement and refrain from naming suspects in the current situation, and maybe raise a point that the media's all-consuming need to turn violent crime into a circus is kind of hosed up
Both of these would definitely help. I don't think that a complete media blackout would help anyone but a little caution until this current criminal is caught would go a long way.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Slashrat posted:

It just occured to me that maybe Furnace is trying to bait out the slasher by deliberately being extremely pro-MRA on public television. Though probably unlikely, it isn't isn't mutually exclusive with him being something of a short-tempered jerk, and that he is not entirely a caricature of a superpowered stupid rear end in a top hat could be nice twist.

I'd honestly be surprised if the author let Furnace be the one to take down Moonshadow.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

I genuinely have 100% no idea what's going to happen in the next strip :stonk:

Maybe Patrick has been one step ahead of everyone and was rounding up people connected to the first case (jurors and such)? Or corporate slumber party, that could be the reason.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not like he's stealing or anything, they're on his payroll.

Probably they didn't take that bit in their contract about their intellectual property seriously.

Proving once again that lawyers are the true villains of SFP.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's why she's so strong - tactile telekinesis!

It all makes sense. Allison is going to turn into the next Superboy Prime and punch reality in order to fix the world.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think this whole sequence would be much improved if it took place in it's own chapter. They could have ended this one with Allison seeing Mary after she killed that guy and it's a decent starting point for an investigation. Because right now I don't care about Patrick having an existential crisis and Allison realizing that she's been in a relationship with some jerk.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jackard posted:

is this the same chapter where she talked to Brad
Yeah

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

Speaking of Looney Toons moments, she had herself one there.

Yep because in the same chapter where people have been brutally murdered, no less than 4 people have espoused their personal philosophies, or hero has been tracking down said murderer, and it's been revealed that the mind reader can't read his own mind; it's never too late for a little levity. Glad to see the authors always give Allison the little boost she needs to make it through those hard times.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Why am I not surprised that a chapter that originally focused on murder, rape related issues, and how different people choose to handle social problems has devolved into focusing on Allison and fluffing her character? I don't care if the next page is inevitably going to be Allison breaking down as she realizes that the person she loves is an emotionless manipulator and her former comrade is a murderer, none of this matters in the greater context of the chapter and it's just a diversion from the real plot.

Someone said this a while back in the thread but the high water mark was the chapter with Feral.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

He's either on his way to kill someone who has made a rape accusation or Moonshadow is going to slit his idiot throat.

This is clearly going to end with Allison confronting him in the air and giving him a stern lecture. Because if there is anything the authors love is having Allison one-up every character she can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jackard posted:

One-upping Furnace is setting the bar pretty low

SFP could win any limbo competition with it's current quality of writing.

• Locked thread