Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashweh
Apr 29, 2013

Slashrat posted:

Given the implied timeframe for all of this, I don't think IVS knew about those parts, and he or she doesn't strike me as the type go all the way out there without the intent to kill. Even were he a decent husband and father, he'd probably be just as dead.

If IVS is from around the area, maybe she knows the daughters that are mentioned, and about why they don't go to visit their parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013
Is it possible that this is a different judge, presiding over some other case? He does say it in the present tense, and the trial from the beginning of the chapter reached an acquittal.

Though that may be kind of confusing storytelling, but the character also headed on a bus to New York and is probably not in the same town as the start of the chapter.

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013
At the very least this comic needs an editor. The first few chapters were a reasonable length, but now we have 100+ pages of scenes full of unnecessary monologues and detail. It's typical of webcomics to need editing but this one seems especially bad for it (in part). I wonder what it would look like if the writer and artist had a page limit per "issue".

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013
I know the last page touched on the plot again but it bugs me when Alison goes into her mini speeches in a conversation with one other person. Isn't there a way to script a more natural dialog, that would still get the point across? There's so much blah blah blah coming from her and Feral is barely participating.

I guess the alternative with this comic is 50 pages of two characters monologuing at each other. A great use of the visual medium known as comics.

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013
Wow that third panel has very little impact, for something depicting a child getting hit by an adult. It's showing the action pretty clearly, but it's so sanitized in this style.

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013
I haven't laughed at this comic so hard since Clevin and his pasta.

Are comments always closed for every single page, or are they just doing that because of this recent development?

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013
Comments are open again and the sole, somewhat critical comment that was there earlier is gone. I can't imagine my skin being that thin after posting this comic for years.

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013
I’m impressed with how much effort the artist and author have gone through to make Feral less interesting since Alison forced whats-his-face to make her better at regenerating or whatever. She’s had all this screen time since then and yet I don’t really care about her more than I did in her introduction chapter.

She even got a girlfriend, but most of that just happened without showing anything interesting other than a couple of quirky awkward interactions between the two when they barely know each other. Then boom, we are to assume they have been dating for months. I know this comic isn’t really about them dating, but it would have been nice to see that develop in a way that made them seem like fully fleshed out characters!

Then of course her design is soft like everyone else in this comic. It really sticks out how cutesy she is now.

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

It seriously annoys me that the artist seems to think that tear ducts are on the outer edge of the eye.

That and the way the mom’s eyes escape the edge of her head in panel 2 annoys me. It’s all so rushed looking. I get the point of economizing your art to a point if you have to make a lot of it, but I can’t imagine she cares at this point. Like with all webcomics ever, since it’s free and there will always be enough people to praise even the smallest amount of effort, why bother improving.

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013
I can’t wait to see the boring resolution to like, the two unresolved plot points.

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013
Wow those are some really rushed inks with warm colors slapped on.

someone in the comments posted:

Excellent artwork and effective establishing shots

webcomics are great because they require no effort to build a loyal audience

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013

this broken hill posted:

i've decided i will defend ostertag to the end of time, i will die on this broken hill. even a lovely no-effort page like late sfp is about 4-5 hours of work, and she's managed to churn out two of those per week, every week, for years. now the art matches the writing, which is to say it's hopeless, and that makes the whole comic more entertainingly terrible and improves my life by a tiny amount. when she's free of mulligan she'll go on to do her own independent thing, which seems to be graphic novels for genderqueer pre-teens, and imo she'll end up being very good at it, and in ten years she'll publish a groundbreaking tell-all memoir (in tweet format) about working on sfp and it will be hilarious

I hope this will be the case, honestly! Flipping through Witch Boy, I didn’t get the impression that the art was much better, but apparently she had a ridiculous deadline for that project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Quick, someone photoshop a Lisa Frank folder into that panel instead

• Locked thread