Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Captain Bravo posted:

This is why I've been frustrated with the comic for this arc. I loved Cleaver, especially the talk with him. The protesters were... a little off, but overall still pretty good. But holy poo poo the party and the judge are just terrible. Absolutely terrible. "This guy is a date rapist. You know this not only because he's trying to date-rape this girl, but also because he looks like a bro, and is unnaturally aggressive towards the invincible main character, and is also a skeevy whiny bitch. This judge let the rapists get off. He did so because he's a wife-beater, definitely sexist and probably an old southern racist too, hell lets toss in some slight implications of child abuse and pedophilia while we're at it!"

Christ. I mean, sure, Picasso laid it on thick. But he did so with a brush, not a hose. Cliches and stereotypes are a crutch for writers to quickly and easily give character information to the audience. Not only does her writing seem like it should be beyond that need, she's layering additional stuff on top of the cliche, just to make doubly sure we're positive these are lovely people. And honestly, the subject content of the comic makes me think that she would probably be a lot more comfortable writing subject matter that doesn't reinforce the concept of making snap judgements about people.

I think in the case of the judge it might be laid on so thick so that the message of no matter how terrible a person he was, slitting his throat was the wrong drat thing to do goes in deeper. If he was a nicer person it'd be easier to think 'yeah well it's wrong in this case but it might not be wrong for more terrible people'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't get where you're coming from there - the comic demonstrated that it was a terrible way to handle that situation, it immediately took everyone's focus off the crime being committed and made them focus on her overuse of force as well as branded her a crazy person in their minds, which helped them in dismissing what she was saying.

It was certainly better than doing nothing, but it wasn't great. She's learning that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Has there been any speculation that the weird distortion that Kaylee visited granted her powers, and that she is IVS?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alopex posted:

Insofar as you can have anonymity with a bat head.

Which is probably why, to be honest.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

team overhead smash posted:

Someone who is Captain America strong is tier 3, someone who is Spider-man kind of strength is tier 2 and tier 1 is Alison.

Spider-man would probably be Tier 1, but then again Spider-man never uses his full strength.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I thought about this, and my suspicion is that if they do this, her regeneration stops cold. She doesn't die, mind you, but she stops being properly alive until the shim is removed. It kinda-sorta makes sense?

Even if that were the case, they could harvest the organs just as easily with her being not-alive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm surprised even if they did want them to go fight crime that they let them go do it alone against normal people rather than trying to integrate them into existing trained response units.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What do you me- ah poo poo.

So I guess there's an update?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope she keeps up with Cleaver and they become friendly, he needs a hug.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if there are any individuals as monstrous looking as Cleaver on the side of 'good'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, she's addressing that issue somewhat as a Volunteer Firefighter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looking around the room he's got a couple of globes at least, he just likes his little souvenirs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, but Pintsize can just be a cool observer flying around in miniature relating stuff up to the people who then have to spend all the months figuring it out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Slashrat posted:

Unless the IVS turns out to be Moonshadow, there doesn't seem to be much pulling the two plot threads in this chapter together, aside from maybe a shared theme.

Well that's pretty drat probable at this point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, I'd assumed it was just invisibility, but... that panel where he seems to be firing hazy bullets through a misty version of her... what's going on? Can she create illusions and basically becomes invisible by creating the illusion of not being there?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Meanwhile Allison is trying to dam the entrance to the bay or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

O...kaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Captain Bravo posted:

Speaking of characterization, have we heard of Puppetmaster before? I seem to remember Patrick telling us that mind control doesn't actually work, and that people who claim it were actually just making poo poo up.

Patrick was saying that he never had mine control, despite what a lot of people claimed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nimby posted:

Mindcontrol is pretty overpowered if it can be done to large groups of people.

Not to mention it might have been under the radar for a while. Easy enough with the right mind control.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pavlov posted:

On the other hand, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with those kickin construction bots over there.

Speaking of which, what's the deal with those little floating white cone thingies?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The real world-changingness will come about when the robots can mine for raw materials, construct, and maintain themselves.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Her whole spiel about batteries and lightbulbs makes a 180° on IRL libertarianism, which is an ideology entirely based on making GBS threads on the useless "batteries" and claiming that "lightbulbs" need no one else in the world.

Yeah; in fact that pyramid of people imagery is a pretty classic marxist image:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah we kinda figured that much, Paladin.

Hey Allison has some pull with the Templar board if you do her a solid on this whole college thing wink wink.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope Clevin is an excellent public relations consultant and publicist.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wittgen posted:

Isn't Clevin the dude who tried to hit on her at the party?

Oh yeah, you're right. I guess she's trying to get corroboration.

I still think that the smartest thing to do would be find someone who's good at public relations and sort out best responses with them, but Allison doesn't really think that way yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

If someone at the party has posted the whole thing on youtube, you'd think "trying to stop a date rapist" would be an easy task for a PR firm.

But then, I remember how many pages this thread had on that topic and I'm no longer that sure they could.

It also really depends on just when that video starts and stops.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Awkwarrrrrrrrrrrd.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, not being a filthy hippy, I really have no idea what "fair trade" means. I know what it is when governments do it, but not when ironic hipsters riding fixies do it.

Fair trade certifications basically mean, in theory, that a decent proportion of the profit from the purchase of a product makes it back to the original worker/producer/farmer rather than being entirely eaten by intermediary corporations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We need to get into the habit of going HEY GUYS NEW STRIP before launching into discussion, I think.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder why they're MRIing her?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She may have decided to deal with this herself, too. Superhero-away!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

New comic's up, by the way.

I wonder if that freeze-and-buzz technique would work on her skin.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, the doctor's right. It's amazing it didn't happen sooner.

Well I imagine that's what a lot of the "supervillains' were.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm really curious now about what happened in the more oppressive countries in the world as biodynamics broke out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nimby posted:

1) Bait Moonshadow
2) ?
3) Brag on television about beating Moonshadow.

Honestly, as long as Moonshadow sticks to knives he's probably not too bad off. As long as he can go full area incinerate fast enough.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If that were the case you'd think he'd give them less of a backache.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Y'know, it's gonna be interesting the day that Allison's association with Menace comes out. How will people handle her?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jsoh posted:

nobody but allison knows that patrick was menace

I figure that plot will ensue, somehow, eventually.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

New Strip!

Well, that's that.

I have to wonder about Patrick's ability to not only read a mind, but comprehend what he sees there, to gain a person's deep understanding and analysis of a subject matter. Being able to correlate these minds would imply that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does he have the ability to retain all of the disciplines he's learned, then?

I wonder if he can nab Paladin's skills? I assume he can't steal her biodynamic inventiveness but he'd still be able to become her peer at existing technology.

• Locked thread