Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The problem is that in writing a superhero comic, heroes are often incredibly reactionary characters. Superheroes who provoke change are supervillains, really. The comic itself has even touched on this in the past. However because this comic is at times about social justice (which is not reactionary because it's a revolutionary act AND a reactionary act that seeks to address problems while simultaneously addressing the social situations that cause them) the comic often finds itself without anyone for her to beat up, which leads to the 'rapists' being a shadowy cabal that exist in the aether and descend only to commit rape in the guise of a man, instead of the reality in which abuse is a product of actions taken under the guise of an imbalance of physical, psychological, emotional, etc. power that people often wield without even realizing they're doing it.

However because of the way abuse is portrayed in the day-to-day, it's really, REALLY hard to not depict abusers as like, fuckin' assholes when often they're just people???? They're just people doing stupid poo poo??? Like this comic even does that with that whole party scene

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Or they could be shooting paintballs and using balloons full of paint to try and capture an invisible person

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm starting to think this is a bad comic

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It's basically Something Positive with super powers and a lot less attempted humour at this point

Rei_
May 16, 2004

jsoh posted:

the author is a dude

This kind makes a lot more sense now, it reads very much like an outsiders perspective on issues. Like someone who doesnt know how to write lived experiences, or reflexive criticism.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

mr. stefan posted:

Jesus Christ it's like the author developed an allergy to good writing

Remember early on in the comic, when it wasn't afraid of confronting facts like how Allison actually enjoys beating the poo poo out of people or literally the only reason Allison is a hero and cleaver is not is that one of them is a pretty white girl, or that Allison does the poo poo she does because she has no idea how to unfuck the world, rather than being a middle class Hollywood undergrad who has all the answers and is never wrong?

The problem is honestly the author has no real world experience of the issues he's writing about. I mean feminism is theoretical lens, it isnt a THING you can just make something, because you can create things using that lens as a tool but not as an epistomological basis for an entire universe. When it was working through the actual embedded framework of a superhero story, it was functioning effectively as a lens, but now those two things have swapped positions and all we get is this strange, distorted version of reality being articulated with none of the nuance or lived experience from the author that would make it compelling or interesting.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

This comic had one good idea, ultimately, which was the juxtaposition between someone like Cleaver and someone like Mega Girl that was able to express itself through larger setpiece experiences. It looks like right now the story is angling towards a juxtaposition between her and Furnace, sort of connecting ideology with action and how those ideas interplay, but we've taken such a long road to get there at this point that if this is the payoff they're going to have to take a lot of time now to explain Furnace's position, which I'm not terribly interested in because his actions have been so cartoonishly encapsulating of bigotry that any attempt to humanize him now feels forced.

The dude is just a vessel for an expression of misogyny, which is not a character you spend like a loving year getting around to dealing with.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 10, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah I'm expecting two pages of the woman shouting at him crap we already know about him

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Mega Girl collides with the dam at the speed of light, igniting the air and detonating the water in the surrounding area NOW WHO'S THE REAL MONSTER ,READERS

WRITTEN BY GARTH ENNIS

Rei_
May 16, 2004

okay but seriously this is going to end with Allison getting a bunch of people killed

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I mean this particular setpiece

Rei_
May 16, 2004

so is Allisons superpower making everyone around her become a loving one-dimensional sociopath retroactively

Rei_
May 16, 2004

WAIT SO THE FIRE JUST POLITELY ARMED THE BOMBS TIMER

HELP

Rei_
May 16, 2004

het fuel cant melt steel beams

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Her plan was that he'd realize he was wired to explode before trying to set himself on fire, so she could get him to confess via gopro to doing a crime she is assuming he's done, because he's a misogynist rear end in a top hat so he must have done SOMETHING? She's basically kidnapped a reddit commenter because the writer, afraid of having appeared to commit to an ideological position has gone the South Park route of the non-commital invention of ideological strawmen to assume the most radical end of each viewpoint so the entire discourse can be rejected and transcended by the main character

Like this will end with "I've learned something today guys, rape is bad. But murder is also bad. Therefore people shouldnt do bad things, and we should do good things for eachother"

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 4, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

man everyone knows there's no one in those buildings the Megazord keeps landing on

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Na'at posted:

So you missed the whole part where the super powered teenaged demi-God of flames threatened to literally burn alive any woman who accused a man of rape.

Yeah he's just your garden verity MRA gang move along nothing to see here.

I really don't get this thread

he already said he'd do that on television, the camera and the truth serum imply he's done some other crime that needs to be confessed to. Like the proof of him saying he'd do the awful thing already exists, being broadcast to a national audience. Everyone KNOWS this dude would murder someone at the drop of a hat, the superhero community KNOWS he's a loose cannon with poor judgement and lovely abusive values. It's not the morals, it's the WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING. I don't care whether or not the character does or does not die i care that the actions in the story are making sense? What is he CONFESSING TO? "Yes, I'm a piece of poo poo"? That's a character judgement, which would be FINE if she was killing people who were SAYING poo poo, but she ISNT?

like god damnit? Like if this was the thing at the centre of THIS chapter you just ICE the loving dude and be like "I was killing him before he followed up on his threat" and like jesus christ he's the loving Subhuman Torch who made a death threat on national television practically any woman on the planet could gangland him with a super soaker and walk away from charges

Like the ONLY thing i could think of at this point is if the last panel implies she's about to uncloak a bunch of women who that dude had hurt and he was actually directly threatening with that news broadcast? That would fix THIS problem because it would explain what the gently caress was going on, but it doesnt fix the fact that this chapter was a drawn out, blurry, confusing mess?

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 12, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It would just be such a WEIRD thing to introduce during the (GOD WHAT I HOPE IS) falling action of this chapter and not, you know, a month ago, when all that tension was happening

this is like a bad scooby doo movie where they unmask the groundskeeper after the big chase but then like oh no, the Headless Hash Slinging Slasher was totally real because ghosts and magic are real and Velma's like hold up we need to unpack th- CREDITS

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 12, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

yo loving seriously go read K6BD because it's the illest poo poo currently happening in webcomics

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It just loving looks like he's a dude writing a storyline about an issue he has no way of comprehending the interpersonal nuances of and the writing of the arc falls the gently caress apart as we watch him try to figure it out in real time. It's not entirely a fantastical story where the nuances can be invented (like, superheroes), it's a story based on things that happen irl all the drat time and you can't like, half-rear end that kind of narrative because the weaknesses in the writing are so much more apparent.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Oh dear, I just realized that the artist is in charge of comment moderation, not the web guy.

:v:

A dude writes a comic about feminism, and leaves a woman to deal with the shitheads in the comments :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The trenches as far as i can tell is a flaming loving trainwreck of a comic that is basically just there to act as a fancy border to fake I Never Thought It'd Happen to Me stories their readers send in

• Locked thread