Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, no, I don't think so. As everyone at the party was so loving eager to point out, Miles is a dude they know and like. No amount of talking or convincing is going to get them to believe he's a potential date rapist. All Allison would have done was gotten into a stupid, circular, pointless argument about how he's a cool dude and cool dudes don't rape. Besides, whose word are you going to take? Miles, who's a totally cool dude, or some strange chick whose name nobody even knows and who's obviously drunk? That was the whole point of that whole vignette. Nobody thinks of rapists as people they know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pavlov posted:

But even if you're right, how is that any different than what happened anyway? I'm pretty sure the same conversation that happened in the comic would have happened anyway, except Alison would would have looked a bit less crazy, and the dude a bit less like a victim himself. People seem a little more likely to listen to someone who, from their perspective, didn't just super-power strangle one of their friends without warning.

Because it isn't about them? Miles is trying to rape a girl. Who the gently caress wants to stop and have a conversation about it?!? Allison's first priority was stopping the date rape from happening and then making sure that poor girl got home safely. gently caress people who want to defend date rapists. gently caress people who want to stop and talk about it and maybe discuss how there are two sides to every story, man. Especially gently caress Violet, who would rather treat her friend like poo poo than believe some guy she takes a class with could be a lovely date raping rear end in a top hat.

You want to dig deep and deal with the roots of a chronic social problem, that's great, but the time to do it isn't when there's a drugged potential rape victim freaking out in the middle of a party filled with people who would rather see her raped than believe their friend is a sack of poo poo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
No. You don't try to effect change on a social level when there's an almost-rape victim sobbing in the corner. What, you want her to give a stern lecture? Engage in a spirited debate? Convene some sort of round table discussion? gently caress all of that. She choked out Miles and shamed everyone at the party by bringing attention to their inaction and not compromising in the face of their shittiness. If any of those assholes don't have the wherewithal to feel shame at that, then nothing she would have said would have done anything, anyways.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pavlov posted:

Mate, she's not sobbing, just drunk. I'm just suggesting that if Alison did exactly what she did, minus the assault, she might accomplish a little something more. It's easy to say something like, "gently caress all these people if they don't immediately get it then they're not worth the breath", but if you do that, you just get the exact same problems at next week's party.

She wouldn't have accomplished anything other than being "that crazy super-bitch who accused Miles of being a rapist" instead of being "that crazy super-bitch who assaulted Miles and accused him of being a rapist".

That was the whole point of that scene. Nothing she says or does is going to convince these people that someone they know and like could be a rapist. Even Violet, ostensibly Allison's friend, chose to believe Allison was mentally deranged rather than accept that some guy she knew from a class they took together could be a raping shitheel. You don't fight rape culture by being sensitive and understanding with the people who perpetrate it; they'll just turn around and say you're overreacting or misunderstanding or a violent sociopath.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Except that guy who was taking home a drunk girl whose name he didn't know and then he was lying about his relationship with her to people, he's totes legit.

Seriously, I'm kind of taken aback at the lengths to which people are going to inject "shades of grey" into this.

Guy's a lovely rapist. He got off with a sore throat. He's so loving lucky.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Miles, not Mitch.

And Allison is someone who's been dealing with super-powers since she hit puberty. She's had to be aware for every moment of every single interaction with every single non-super-powered person she's ever been in contact with exactly how easily she could maim or even kill them with something as simple as an involuntary reaction. They showed that with Feral. She wasn't enraged or freaking out when she picked Miles up by the throat, she was completely in control. She, more than anyone, probably knows exactly how fragile people are, and exactly how much pressure it would take to do permanent damage.

And why, by God, does this situation need to be "more complex"? We don't need more media perpetrating the myth that there's more than one side to rape. We pretty much have an entire culture dedicated to perpetrating that idea.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brought To You By posted:

There are some moments when I am angry of frustrated when I use more force than necessary when handling objects. Allison is not exempt from that phenomenon. And she was very much enraged when at the hospital, her feet left cracks in the ground where she stepped, she took an officers gun and fired off several shots into her own mouth, she leveled a car and light pole in an attempt to start hurting people and the reason she stopped was because the same person she came to see told her too as well as her boyfriend.

Ask yourself this question, if Feral had perished in that fire would Allison have stopped before she hurt more people?

That was an entirely different situation. Allison thought that someone she cared about had just been murdered. Allison didn't lose control with Miles and use more force than she intended to. She used exactly as much force as she meant to. If you, like some people here, are arguing that the force she used was excessive...then we just disagree on a fundamental level.

quote:

If you are talking about the roof-top scene, it's pretty cut and dry. The other scene could set up a better shade of gray because we the viewer aren't aware of what actually happened yet. Were all four of those guys guilty of raping Kaylee or did three of them do it and the last kid just had terrible choice in friends. If it's possible for Violet and some of the party-goers to have a friend like Miles and be blind to how he might act at a party, it's equally likely that some people might still associate with actual rapists even after a trial for whatever reason they might have.

I think it would be necessary for a story centered around superheroes and vigilante justice to address that there are limits to what is acceptable in handling a real world situation. If you knew that someone with enough strength to level building could accost you for whatever crime you might be guilty of in any way they saw fit would you be comfortable with that? What if you were accused of a crime you didn't commit and someone decided to take action into their own hands? That is the situation I am in favor of. Miles doesn't apply to that.

I don't think the scenes with the shadowy figure and Allison choking out Miles are meant to reinforce a common idea (that of super-powered beings having free reign to exact whatever justice they see fit), but are there to contrast each other. The shadowy figure murdered those four guys, not to prevent a crime from happening, but to avenge one that had already happened. It circumvented due process and carried out an execution. Allison, on the other hand, saw a crime in progress and used her powers to stop it. Once the crime had been prevented, she concerned herself with the well-being of the victim. The way I interpret it is that what the shadowy figure did was wrong, it was an example of super-powers being abused, while what Allison did was closer to the ideal, super-powers being used in the aid of another. Obviously how the story plays out from here will either validate or invalidate my view on it, but that's how I'm reading it so far.

quote:

I'm not defending rapists here or whatever definition of rape culture you might be using. But being perfectly honest, I'm tired of seeing every rape scenario in fiction demonize men and victimize women. I know for a fact that rape statistics are closer to 50/50 but every time I see it brought up in the news or popular fiction it's polarized to keep one group of people colored as perpetual aggressors. Is it too much to ask that every once in a while there is a situation where it isn't what it looks like?

Seriously? We live in a world where a sports team can rape a girl and almost get off because the community didn't want to ruin their collegiate prospects. We don't need to reinforce horrible, harmful ideas like false rape accusations. They're already prevalent enough as it is. And I'm fairly certain the statistics only shake out to 50/50 if you include prison rape, which is horrible, but is a whole other kettle of fish from what we're talking about.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Seriously, bringing up "Won't someone please think of the white male rapists?!?" is, like, the definition of rape culture.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I also really don't think that one dude in the convenience store was innocent, either. Strong Female Protagonist seems way too genre and issue savvy to pull a false rape accusation twist. I think (hope) it's more likely they're trying to show (which is reinforced by the Miles scene) that not all rapists are remorseless dudebro back-slappers, but despite being thinking, feeling, regretful human beings, they're still rapists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
"Things change" seems like a phrase Pintsize is going to throw back in Allison's face once he pulls a Mr. Glass on her.

• Locked thread